setuid right without execution rights

Hello,
I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right.
  What's the point of this ?
0
Jeremy
3/8/2005 10:33:15 AM
comp.unix.admin 2890 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <422d7f6d$0$17144$636a15ce@news.free.fr>,
 Jeremy <sargon@no-log.org.spamno> wrote:

> Hello,
> I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right.
>   What's the point of this ?

What OS are we talking about?  The way you talk about this leads me to
believe you may not come from a UNIX background.   On MacOS X, the chmod
man page says

   (the set-user-ID-on-execution bit) Executable files with
   this bit set will run with effective uid set to the uid of
   the file owner.  Directories with the set-user-id bit set
   will force all files and sub-directories created in them to
   be owned by the directory owner and not by the uid of the
   creating process, if the underlying file system supports
   this feature: see chmod(2) and the suiddir option to
   mount(8).

What does the man page say on your system?

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael