/etc/security/passwd flags corruption ?

What can cause corruption of the "flags" fields in /etc/security/
passwd ?

Here is an example: (Weird characters did not paste)
Line 2045: "flags =3D =F6"
Line 2415: "flags =3D )=B0"

Most of the servers where we are having this corruption are AIX 5.2

Thanks,
 --Ben
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

On Nov 24, 4:45 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What can cause corruption of the "flags" fields in /etc/security/
> passwd ?
>
> Here is an example: (Weird characters did not paste)
> Line 2045: "flags =3D =F6"
> Line 2415: "flags =3D )=B0"
>
> Most of the servers where we are having this corruption are AIX 5.2
>
> Thanks,
>  --Ben

weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
what ML are you on ?
what LANG setting are you using ?
On Nov 25, 5:10 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 4:45 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What can cause corruption of the "flags" fields in /etc/security/
> > passwd ?
>
> > Here is an example: (Weird characters did not paste)
> > Line 2045: "flags =3D =F6"
> > Line 2415: "flags =3D )=B0"
>
> > Most of the servers where we are having this corruption are AIX 5.2
>
> > Thanks,
> >  --Ben
>
> weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
> what ML are you on ?
> what LANG setting are you using ?

ml: 5200-08
lang: EN_US

No one is updating the file manually.

--Ben
On Nov 27, 3:56 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 5:10 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 24, 4:45 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What can cause corruption of the "flags" fields in /etc/security/
> > > passwd ?
>
> > > Here is an example: (Weird characters did not paste)
> > > Line 2045: "flags =3D =F6"
> > > Line 2415: "flags =3D )=B0"
>
> > > Most of the servers where we are having this corruption are AIX 5.2
>
> > > Thanks,
> > >  --Ben
>
> > weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
> > what ML are you on ?
> > what LANG setting are you using ?
>
> ml: 5200-08
> lang: EN_US
>
> No one is updating the file manually.
>
> --Ben

can you show the whole stanza that's being corrupted ?
On Nov 26, 3:57 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 3:56 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
> > > what ML are you on ?
> > > what LANG setting are you using ?
>
> > ml: 5200-08
> > lang: EN_US
>
> > No one is updating the file manually.
>
> > --Ben
>
> can you show the whole stanza that's being corrupted ?

Well.. here is an example entry in /etc/security/passwd:

username:
        password =3D 1AeRzNuJ0F7jp
        lastupdate =3D 1116545273
        flags =3D ^Bu0

PS: The "^B" is actually one single character

--Ben
On Nov 26, 9:56 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 5:10 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 24, 4:45 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What can cause corruption of the "flags" fields in /etc/security/
> > > passwd ?
>
> > > Here is an example: (Weird characters did not paste)
> > > Line 2045: "flags =3D =F6"
> > > Line 2415: "flags =3D )=B0"
>
> > > Most of the servers where we are having this corruption are AIX 5.2
>
> > > Thanks,
> > >  --Ben
>
> > weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
> > what ML are you on ?
> > what LANG setting are you using ?
>
> ml: 5200-08
> lang: EN_US
>
> No one is updating the file manually.
>
> --Ben

With respect, how can you be sure that no one is updating this
file manually? Do you have audit data to prove it?

FWIW my experience is that a lot of tricky problems are caused
by people doing things that no one was supposed to be doing.

Regards,
Jim Lane
0
Jim.Lane (45)
11/27/2007 7:02:34 PM
On Nov 27, 2:02 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
> On Nov 26, 9:56 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > weird; anyone manually updating the file ?
> > > what ML are you on ?
> > > what LANG setting are you using ?
>
> > ml: 5200-08
> > lang: EN_US
>
> > No one is updating the file manually.
>
> > --Ben
>
> With respect, how can you be sure that no one is updating this
> file manually? Do you have audit data to prove it?
>
> FWIW my experience is that a lot of tricky problems are caused
> by people doing things that no one was supposed to be doing.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Lane

Well.. I know for sure we have no scripts to edit this file manually..

BUT.. we are using IBM Tivoli Identity Manager and I'm starting to
think this software is causing these problems

It's funny to see that we realised that we had these weird chararcter
when ITIM started to mal-function.

I will continue to investigate on that..  Even our IBM representative
was surprised when I showed this to him he never saw that.

--Ben
On Nov 27, 10:15 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 26, 3:57 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > ml: 5200-08
> > > lang: EN_US
>
> > > No one is updating the file manually.
>
> > > --Ben
>
> > can you show the whole stanza that's being corrupted ?
>
> Well.. here is an example entry in /etc/security/passwd:

> username:
>         password =3D 1AeRzNuJ0F7jp
>         lastupdate =3D 1116545273
>         flags =3D ^Bu0
>
> PS: The "^B" is actually one single character
>
> --Ben

it's looking like a couple of things to me
1. you have someone manually hacking the file
2. you have something manually hacking the file
3. you have an error with files that access /etc/security/passwd

do you have any security "enhancements" ? or non-standard password
software.
to me. 1. above looks the most likely, someone using vi and hitting
the wrong keys
On Nov 27, 3:09 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 10:15 am, Benoit Lefebvre <benoit.lefeb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > can you show the whole stanza that's being corrupted ?
>
> > Well.. here is an example entry in /etc/security/passwd:

> > username:
> >         password =3D 1AeRzNuJ0F7jp
> >         lastupdate =3D 1116545273
> >         flags =3D ^Bu0
>
> > PS: The "^B" is actually one single character
>
> > --Ben
>
> it's looking like a couple of things to me
> 1. you have someone manually hacking the file
> 2. you have something manually hacking the file
> 3. you have an error with files that access /etc/security/passwd
>
> do you have any security "enhancements" ? or non-standard password
> software.
> to me. 1. above looks the most likely, someone using vi and hitting
> the wrong keys

As I said in my previous post..

We are using ITIM.. I think this is what's causing these problems..

Funny thing is that we discovered that by investigatinf an problem
with ITIM (it was having problems with these weird characters)

--Ben

KUser
I am running Freebsd 5.2.1 . I logged in as root into KDE and used KUser to reset password for a user. After that when I tryed to login as root I would get an error: pam_acct_mng - Account expired. I loged in in single mode and tryed to change root password now I would get an error from pwd_mkdb : Inappropriate file type or format If i run this command to check the passwd file i get an error: pwd_mkdb -C /etc/passwd pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry pwd_mkdb: at line #1 pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format The first line in /etc/passd is: root:*:0:0:Charli...

Password Security and /etc/default/passwd
A couple of questions regarding pam_authtok_check and friends. 1) What does the NAMECHECK variable in /etc/default/passwd actually do? The documentation in the passwd(1) simply repeats the same text found in /etc/default/passwd, which simply says "do login name checking". What kind of checking is that then? 2) Where is the password history to deal with variables such as MAXREPEATS kept? Are just the hashes stored? If so, do I break this if I change crypt algorithms? 3) If just the hashes are stored, how does MINDIFF work? As always, I'm looking for actual answ...

/etc/security/user file in AIX
I was reviewing the /etc/security/user file in a few AIX machines. I noticed that the file contains default: and each user id. Somehow, I also noticed that the settings were different in the default and other user ids. Under this situation, which settings are working? The settings in default: or in a specific user id? For example: In the default: maxage = 0 minlen =6 but in an user id: maxage = 4 minlen = 8 which will work? I believe the settings specific to each user take precedence over the default settings. If you were to create a new user, the default settings ...

Question on Migration of /etc/passwd and Security
Hello: Just wondering if wanted to migrate users from one host A to B, can I do the following: Append the /etc/passwd to /etc/passwd of host B? What if i throw Shadowed passwd to it? will that work as well (given that above given scenario will work)? Being new to HP-UX I was thinking about if that's possible. If it works that' really bad from sec. perspective I guess, because that means the encryption does'nt follow the mathematical theory of encryption being toatally random. Appreciate your comments. Vince Hi Vince > Just wondering if wanted to migrate users from one ...

Difference between HP Unix and Unix AIX
What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? Is there any ? dlprogress wrote: > What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? > Is there any ? > > Unless you're getting into system dependent stuff, no, there's no real difference. However, one real difference is that AIX is an IBM and not an HP product. -- Fletcher Glenn ...

AIX 5.2 ML01: rss , rss_hard and stack , stack_hard in /etc/security/limits
I have read IBM documentation on rss , rss_hard and stack stack_hard but unable to understand it. If value of rss = 65536 rss_hard = 65536 stack = 32767 stack_hard = 32767 data = 491519 data_hard = 491519 for user vkgtry1 % ulimit -Ha time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 245760 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) 32768 coredump(blocks) 1000 nofiles(descriptors) 2500 Then what would be memory location / use effect of program / processed used by user vkgtry1 under AIX 5.2 ML01? Thanks, VKG Vikrant wrote: > I have read IBM documentation on rss , rss_hard and stack stack_hard > but unable to understand it. > > If value of rss = 65536 > rss_hard = 65536 > stack = 32767 > stack_hard = 32767 > data = 491519 > data_hard = 491519 > > for user vkgtry1 > > % ulimit -Ha > time(seconds) unlimited > file(blocks) unlimited > data(kbytes) 245760 > stack(kbytes) 16384 > memory(kbytes) 32768 > coredump(blocks) 1000 > nofiles(descriptors) 2500 > > Then what would be memory location / use effect of program / processed > used by user vkgtry1 under AIX 5.2 ML01? > > Thanks, > VKG ...

user authentication via /etc/passwd|/etc/shadow
Hi, I want to write a program where I authenticate users via the standard unix system accounts. I didn't find a module providing this functionality. Is there such a module available? If not, how can I achieve this? Marco -- Marco Herrn herrn@gmx.net (GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred) Key ID: 0x94620736 Marco Herrn wrote: > I want to write a program where I authenticate users via the standard > unix system accounts. I didn't find a module providing this > functionality. Is there such a module available? If not, how can I > achieve this? You need...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

Bush: Corruption is corruption is corruption
He is pure terror. ...

how secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are there any security risks/holes that I should know about? Thanks in advance, Aaron PS I do have access to Tomcat, but have been unable to figure out how to set it up (this is my first time setting up security for a site) - so if anyone has any tips/links that information would be most appreciated. Thanks again. ...

Convert unix c++ compiler flags to windows compiler flags?
I have these compiler flags in a CMakeList.txt file for a linux code: SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -w -lX11 -Dcimg_use_xshm -lXext -Dcimg_use_xrandr -lXrandr -O3 -fpermissive -march=nocona -m64 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -finline-functions") Any ideas on who I convert those to windows (Visual Studio 2008) flags? In article <4a283fa0$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, mlt <asdf@asd.com> wrote: >I have these compiler flags in a CMakeList.txt file for a linux code: > -O3 -fpermissive -march=nocona -m64 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -finline-f...

/etc/passwd
Can someone tell me how the last field in a record of the /etc/passwd text file can be executable? I've noticed that the parent pid of my login shell is 1, the init process. Is the init process merely reading this field and executing it? Thanks nick <cupofjava1961@aol.com> writes: > I've noticed that the parent pid of my login shell is 1, the init > process. When the parent process of a process goes away, the parent pid is set to 1. How do you login to your login shell and on which OS? -- Thorbj´┐Żrn Ravn Andersen I login to slackware using ksh.new (the new Korn shel...

AIX security
Hi, I would like to harden some of our AIX boxes. What are all I need to do for this. And here we use "rexec" for executing some of the programs. How can we avoid this. Is there any alternate secure way for this. Please suggest me. Best Regards Siva. haisiva@yahoo.com (Krishna) writes: > Hi, > > I would like to harden some of our AIX boxes. What are all I need to > do for this. > > And here we use "rexec" for executing some of the programs. How can we > avoid this. Is there any alternate secure way for this. SSH is something you should start be...

Unix AIX
What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away and the server hangs, i would apprecaite a list of commands for unix aix, we are on version 6.1 Thanks!! SAPUNIX wrote: > What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes > we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away > and the server hangs those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? In comp.unix.aix, Sven Mascheck <mascheck@email.invalid> wrote: >SAPUNIX wrote: >> What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes >> we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away >> and the server hangs > >those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? My experience is if they don't go away from properly formatted ipcs / ipcrm commands, it's because they're tied to processes which are hung waiting on kernel threads (and basically, defunct). In which case you need to kill the owning process (which is already dead, and which probably won't respond to a kill -9 since it's stuck in a kernel thread) or reboot the box. SAP is the worst offender in this regard IME. It's the only app I've ever known people have to constantly clear down shared memory / semaphores for when it doesn't shut down cleanly. -- Tony Evans Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993 blog...

"Real Name" in /etc/passwd contains +, _ etc
In the passwd file on the server I am using, some names have odd characters in them, e.g. Fred+ Flinstone I was curious as to whether anyone know if this was intentional, an error on the sysadmin's part, etc. Cheers! Mitch. Mitch <spudtheimpaler@hotORgooMAIL.invalid> writes: > In the passwd file on the server I am using, some names have odd > characters in them, e.g. Fred+ Flinstone 1) Some systems (like Sun's YP/nis database) use the + to indicate a reference to a remote data label, but as I recall, it's used before an '@' and followed by a label name....

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304732416. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45303832413. ...

Editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow doesn't reset password. Why?
Ok. I'm very close to getting into the box now, but one thing stands in my way. (I put up a linux box, dd'ed the drive to another one to play with, restamped it with the geometry (edvtoc -p) and got it fsck'ed and mounted) Then I edited out the encrypted password field in /etc/shadow. Figured this would reset it, but no dice. Still can't get in. (either hitting return at the login or space) Also tried editing out the field in /etc/passwd, editing out both, editing out /etc/opasswd and /etc/oshadow I read somewhere that you could chroot the mounted directory, so I did that like this: chroot /mnt /bin/su root *which works* but when I run "passwd" from there, it asks me for the old password, even though I am running as root. I am logged in as root in the shell I mounted the drive in, and I verified it with "id", which told me UID 0(root),GID3(sys). I also tried the following: I have an account on my system I put up to mount the drive, called admin, (my non-root account) It has a password of "password". So I copied that hash from the shadow file into the entry for root, and it still wouldn't let me in. Is there some sort of other user database where the old password is still being stored? CHoaglin wrote: > >Is there some sort of other user database where the old password is still being >stored? > > > /tcb/files/auth/r/root Have a poke about in this area, you should get the idea of how it hangs togethe...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303583160)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303583160) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304132401. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304157603)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304157603) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

Web resources about - /etc/security/passwd flags corruption ? - comp.unix.aix

Corruption in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, in recent years, corruption is increasingly a major issue. For instance, in 2013, 117 of the 250 companies blacklisted by World Bank ...

Crime and Corruption Commission pushes for law to punish disclosure of referrals
Corruption watchdog chair suggests disclosure of allegations should itself be an offence.

Crime and Corruption Commission cocaine probe which heard allegations against Suns and Titans players ...
GOLD Coast football stars are breathing easier after the closure of a cocaine probe by the Crime and Corruption Commission that snared some big ...

ABC Four Corners team arrested in Malaysia over reporting on corruption allegations
An ABC Four Corners crew is detained by Malaysian police after trying to question Prime Minister Najib Razak over a corruption scandal.

Chinese Judiciary Vows to Keep up "High Pressure" on Corruption
... Prosecuted in China Last Year China's judicial authorities on Sunday said the country will continue to maintain "high pressure" on corruption ...

Africa's rhinos, red tape and corruption
Increased demand from Asian markets fuels poaching and pushes African rhino populations to near extinction.

Africa's Rhinos, Red Tape and Corruption
At the beginning of this year, South African conservationists celebrated a small victory. Figures from 2015, released by the South African government, ...

Countrywide corruption breeds individual dishonesty, economists suggest
... published an intriguing suggestion about the roots of dishonesty: they suggest that a corrupt social environment, rife with political corruption ...

How To Fight Corruption In South Jersey And South Florida
The DC establishment has long ago decided that the way they want campaigns to unfold is for people to pick a team red vs blue or conservative ...

Brazil protests: Artist blindfolds statues amid corruption scandal - CNN.com
A corruption scandal that has stirred protests in Brazil is hard to watch even the statues in Rio de Janeiro can't look.