32 bit or 64 bit ?

How do i figure out whether i am running on 64bit hardware or 32 bit
hardware(kernel) .. i tried uname (on AIX ) does not seem to give the
information.

0
sunnynnus (6)
5/26/2005 10:04:13 AM
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

The "prtconf" command gives results as:

CPU Type: 64-bit (hardware type)
Kernel Type: 32-bit (current running kernel)

sunnynnus@gmail.com wrote:
> How do i figure out whether i am running on 64bit hardware or 32 bit
> hardware(kernel) .. i tried uname (on AIX ) does not seem to give the
> information.

0
r_s_bogar (6)
5/26/2005 12:52:30 PM

sunnynnus@gmail.com wrote:
> How do i figure out whether i am running on 64bit hardware or 32 bit
> hardware(kernel) .. i tried uname (on AIX ) does not seem to give the
> information.

0
r_s_bogar (6)
5/26/2005 12:52:55 PM
sunnynnus@gmail.com wrote:

> How do i figure out whether i am running on 64bit hardware or 32 bit
> hardware(kernel) .. i tried uname (on AIX ) does not seem to give the
> information.

For the kernel: bootinfo -K
For the hardware: bootinfo -y

--
Michael Prix
Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that

thanks guys .. that gets my job done ...

regards

0
sunnynnus (6)

AIX 64-bit kernel vs. 32-bit with 64-bit extensions
We are in the process of migrating our IDS 7.31 UD4 instance to IDS 9.4FC6. At the same time, we are moving to IBM p630 servers with 2 1.2Ghz Power4 processors with 4G of RAM running on AIX 5.2. We are beginning to test a reorg/migration script which uses distributed SQL queries to move data from our very-interleaved, messy IDS 7 instance to a well-organized IDS 9 instance with big chunks (where needed). In our test, both instances are on separate p630 AIX 5.2 servers connected on the same subnet. We were just told by our AIX admins that our standard mode for the AIX 5.2 servers is 32-bit mode with 64-bit extensions. The first migration script test is running now, but slower than we had hoped. With the above configuration in mind, would true 64-bit kernel give us much advantage in speed and efficiency for our IDS 9.4 instance? If so, any idea how much? Is there any IBM documentation out there that I could show our AIX admins to convince them to change to 64-bit kernel mode? Thanks. Pete Link University of Michigan Health System Ann Arbor, MI USA "pete_link" <plink1@excite.com> wrote in message news:1110977903.633518.5340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > We are in the process of migrating our IDS 7.31 UD4 instance to IDS > 9.4FC6. At the same time, we are moving to IBM p630 servers with 2 > 1.2Ghz Power4 processors with 4G of RAM running on AIX 5.2. > > We are beginning to test a reorg/migration scrip...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

32-bit Number * 32-bit Number = 64-bit result
I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer multiplication. That is, one 32-bit number times another 32-bit number equals the least significant 32-bits of the 64-bit result. In theory, I could mimic that behavior like so: (x * x) & 0xFFFFFFFF But this doesn't work quite right because the initial multiplication can produce such a large result that JavaScript looses some precision. Any thoughts? Ideas? "Jeff.M" <Mott.Jeff@gmail.com> writes: > I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer > multiplication. That is, one 32-bit...

AIX 5L
Wanted to know about AIX 5L so I typed 'aix' into google the first link that comes out is www.ibm.com/servers/aix - so far so good so I clicked on it and got: 403 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /servers/aix/ on this server. gee, it's nice to be wanted ;-) anyway, since I'm here (and I can't RTFM) can anyone tell me whether aix 5L is 64 bit with some kind of 32-bit emulation for 32-bit software, or do you have a choice of installing 32 or 64 bit versions of the OS ? I have a 32-bit app currently on 4.3.3, and would like to know what are the chances of...

AIX 32 bit vs 64 bit
Hi, I am installing a new AIX 5.2 operating system. I have to decide between 32-bit and 64-bit kernel. From different message boards and IBM website, I don't see any reason to install 32-bit kernel. Looks like all 32 bit applications will work on 64-bit kernel. Is this correct? If this true why does IBM even supply a 32-bit kernel? Thanks for your time, Joe On 2004-02-12, Joseph Silverius <josil@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am installing a new AIX 5.2 operating system. I have to decide > between 32-bit and 64-bit kernel. From different message boards and > IBM we...

64 bit or 32 bit / Windows or Unix
Hi All, Can someone please help me decide what's better for really big datasets (GB's). Pros and cons for any combination of platforms / processors? Experiences... Thanks in advance... -MC Hi - I experienced problems dealing with large datasets (+1GB) recently. It really depends where the bottleneck was - ours was reading and writing to the hard disk so we used raided 2 hard drives on a Windoz machine using Raid 0. Seemed to to cane through the processing after that. MC <supermario@MAC.COM>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 27/04/2004 12:03:40 Please respond to MC <supermar...

AIX 32-bit upgrade to 64-bit
Hi, Can anyone share experience, like what sorts of things to look out, on an upgrade from AIX 32-bit system to 64-bit? Some specifics: 1. systems are AIX 4.3 and 5L 2. hardwares are 64-bit capable 3. would all AIX bundled softwares be taken care of automatically? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. Yung Be aware that the 64-bit susbsystemes between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.X are binary incompatible. Thus, if you run a 64-bit Oracle 8i envrionment on 4.3.3, for example, then it won't run at all on AIX5.X. This complicates the upgrades. The 64-bit executables work like this irrespecti...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? adar <adar_ji@yahoo.com> ...

compiling on 32-bit vs. 64-bit (gcc fails on 64-bit)
On a 64-bit Scientific Linux 5.4 machine, I get the following when I try to compile the basic "Hello world" program: [root]# g++ -Wall hello.cc -o hello /tmp/ccglIDXK.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:10: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:38: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:55: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:79: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:81: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:85: Error: suffix or operand...

Run 32-bit and 64-bit listener at the same time on W3K 64-bit
I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit. Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box. I cannot get the listener to work. I use batch file to specifically point to the 9.2 environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version. Any clues? E:\dbscripts>rem set oracle 9.2 environment E:\dbscripts>set ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\ora92 E:\dbscripts>set path=C:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;\\CFOLDC1\fopublic\ E:\dbscripts>set TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin E:\dbscripts>c: C:\...

"LoadLibrary" of a 32 bit so with 64 bit java on a 64 bit machine
Hello, I have an x86_64 linux machine. The java installed there is Sun java for linux (64 bit version- Linux x64 Platform - Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6) I have a library (.so) which includes JNI calls. This library was compiled on a 32 bit machine and I don't have it's sources. When running a jar in the usual way, if I try "LoadLibrary" on this machine from the java code I get an error. Is there a way to run the jar in "32 bit mode" on this machine with this 64 bit java ? Which flag to the "java" command should I pass in order to achive this ? Or is...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems. #2
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:34:56 -0...

32-bit or 64-bit in AIX 5.3?
whats the command to tell if the AIX 5.3 is 32-bit or 64-bit? I tried oslevel and it says 5.3.0.0 thanks. Steve <javacc2@gmail.com> wrote: > whats the command to tell if the AIX 5.3 is 32-bit or 64-bit? I tried > oslevel and it says 5.3.0.0 bootinfo -K Regards, Gregory Gregory Young wrote: > Steve <javacc2@gmail.com> wrote: >> whats the command to tell if the AIX 5.3 is 32-bit or 64-bit? I tried >> oslevel and it says 5.3.0.0 > > bootinfo -K Officially, on current levels, prtconf. And, FYI, you'll want to become familiar with lslpp. ...

h80 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX 5.1
I need to upgrade an h80 from 32 bit to 64 bit due to an application requirement. Does anyone know of any 'gotchas' in this environment ? JYard UCLA AIS John Yard wrote: > I need to upgrade an h80 > from 32 bit to 64 bit due > to an application requirement. > > Does anyone know of any 'gotchas' > in this environment ? I don't know of any probs with 5.1 64 bit but I'm running 5.3 64 bit on some 7026-6H1 which is the same hardware as 7026-H80 with different label. And, if you're upgrading once, you should consider to use this opportunity to ...

Re: 64 bit or 32 bit / Windows or Unix #3
And in which case is a 64 bit windows solution acceptable - Itanium? - or available? or is Unix always preferable? 64 bit AMD I guess, though cheap, has no support yet. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:29:11 -0400, Farrer, Andrew C <Andrew.Farrer@CIBC.COM> wrote: >64-bit anything is only necessary if you need to address over ~3Gb of >memory. We only need V8.2-64bit on Solaris for proc mddb and proc dmreg in >Enterprise Miner. Input sizes vary but generally over 2Gb . > >-----Original Message----- >From: MC [mailto:supermario@MAC.COM] >Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 10:04 PM &g...

32 bit Matlab install on 64 bit linux -- missing 32 bit libXp.so.6 library?
I'm trying to install 32 bit Matlab on 64 bit linux I have seen the Technical Solution <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-O7POO.html?1-O7POO> and some notes for fixing this problem on Fedora <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-106502.html> However, I'm running Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic, and neither of these takes me all the way to a solution. I'm at the point where I can run the installer with the following: root@lanczos:/usr/local/matlab71_sv# /usr/local/install/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t -nocp /usr/local/install/unix/install...

32 bit or 64 bit?
Quick question: I have python code that does a lot of floating point arithmetic. How do I make it do the arithmetic in 64 bit? (I have a 64 bit CPU.) If I'll install a 64-bit operating system, will that do the trick? ram.rachum@gmail.com wrote: > Quick question: > I have python code that does a lot of floating point arithmetic. How > do I make it do the arithmetic in 64 bit? (I have a 64 bit CPU.) If > I'll install a 64-bit operating system, will that do the trick? The Python float type uses a C double internally which is 64 bit even on 32 bit CPUs. Peter On Jun 15, 2:...

64-bit with 32-bit
This may be off topic I have Access 2010 32-bit installed on a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I am writing a dot net add-on for SolidWorks EPDM that will get data from a MDB. It requires the 64-bit "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 driver which is available from the download site. The installer requires that all Office 32-bit applications be uninstalled before installing the 64-bit driver. Will I be able to re-install the 32-bit version of Access? If so will the 2 version behave? ...

32-bit or 64-bit
How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve the information by using uname -a Thanks. blackdog wrote: > How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve > the information by > using uname -a How about "isainfo -v"? - Logan On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, blackdog wrote: > How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve As a rule of thumb, if you're running on 64-bit capable HW, you'll be running the 64-bit kernel. WHen in doubt, isainfo -b will confirm one way or another. HTH, -- Rich Teer, SCN...

Catalog file created on Windows 32 bit system to Unix 64 bit
Hi, While I am trying to access catalogs created under Windows 32 bit system from Unix 64 bit platform is not working. SAS showing running for long and nothing happened. Can anyone know how can I access catalogs created under Windows 32 Bit from Unix 64 bit platform? Thanks, Jineesh K James On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:53:54 -0800 (PST), Jineesh <jineeshkjames@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >While I am trying to access catalogs created under Windows 32 bit >system from Unix 64 bit platform is not working. SAS showing running >for long and nothing happened. Can anyone know how can...

Relative Oracle performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone here has compared Oracle 9i performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x? I'm currently running everything on 32-bit and am wondering if there is any compelling reason to move to 64-bit? Besides a potentially larger memory access, I cannot see any good reason. If you have pointers to any websites on the above, that would interest me tremendously as well. Thanks and best regards. Rom Marshall ...

Advanced Compiler Request: 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit code path/instruction generation and selection !
Hello, It would be very handy if Delphi could somehow generate code paths for 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit integers and possible even structures etc. So maybe with some compiler magic multiple instruction code paths can be generated AND SELECTED based on a "code path selection" variable. Here some ideas: Idea 1: Delphi could introduce a new "code path selection type" TcodePathSelection = ( cps_8_bit, cps_16_bit, cps_32_bit, cps_64_bit ); // the Delphi programmers can then use: var vCodePathSelection : TcodePathSelection; // Then somehow the Delphi programmers can write code just once instead of 4 times: // Concept code: // Because not all variables should have multiple code paths only those of a special "flexible integer" type could be generated var A, B, C : TflexibleInteger; D : integer; // normal integer begin // programmers indicates to compiler that multiple code paths must be generated for the following code: <8_bit_code_path begin> <16_bit_code_path begin> <32_bit_code_path begin> <64_bit_code_path begin> if TransferSize = etc then begin vCodePathSelection := cps_32_bit; end else begin vCodePathSelection := cps_64_bit; end; // here the programmer select which code path the program must follow based on an actual variable of the program itself ! ;) <select code path> vCodePathSelection // now the programmer...

x86-64 performance: 32 bit vs 64 bit
Dear All -- In a question that has a vague link to Fortran, can anyone enlighten me whether the new x86-64 architecture exhibits any performance boost in running 64-bit code, as opposed to 32-bit code? I've been labouring under the notion that, in 64-bit mode, the extensions to the x86 instruction set give access to a number of extra general-purpose registers. Since register starvation is one of the historical bottlenecks with the x86 architecture, it follows that 64-bit code will experience a significant performance boost over 32-bit code on the x86-64 platform. This I've ga...

32 or 64 bit front-end on 64-bit Mac
Just installed Mathematica 6.0.2.1 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard). TThe system info (portions included below) reports that the Mathematica kernel is 64 bit as expected, it says the front end is 32 bit. Note that in that section, the processor type is reported as x86 not x86-64. SystemInformationData[{"Kernel" -> {"Version" -> "6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (March 13, 2008)", "ReleaseID" -> "6.0.2 (1009763, 1009696)", ... "MachineType" -> "PC", "OperatingSystem...

Web resources about - 32 bit or 64 bit ? - comp.unix.aix

Kendrick Lamar Songs: Donald Trump Protesters Chant ‘Alright’ Lyrics After Shutdown Victory
Kendrick Lamar’s song, “Alright,” made headlines in Chicago as Donald Trump protesters unified for a cause — to shutdown Trump’s rally. Upon ...

North Korea denies cyber attacks on South Korea officials
North Korea on Sunday denied that it conducted cyber attacks against officials from rival South Korea, calling the South's accusation that it ...

Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards
Show host Blake Shelton is ‘slimed’ during Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards in Inglewood, California. — Reuters pic

ABC Four Corners team arrested in Malaysia over reporting on corruption allegations
An ABC Four Corners crew is detained by Malaysian police after trying to question Prime Minister Najib Razak over a corruption scandal.

Officials say unrest at prison in Alabama leaves 2 hurt
Inmates set a fire, seized control of a dormitory and stabbed two corrections officials during a violent uprising at a prison in southern Alabama, ...

What Time Is The End of The Daylight?
What time is the end of the daylight? The sun is expected to die in roughly 5 billion years. But humans—provided we survive any number of ecological, ...

Go champion Lee Se-dol strikes back to beat Google's DeepMind AI for first time
AlphaGo wrapped up victory for Google in the DeepMind Challenge Match by winning its third straight game against Go champion Lee Se-dol yesterday, ...

Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi
KOKI FOX 23 Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi KOKI FOX 23 HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — As the Leaf River rose north ...

Martavis Bryant Checking Into Rehab Is A Big Blow To Pittsburgh Steelers
Martavis Bryant plans to enter rehab and we certainly hope the exciting Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver gets the help he needs. Bryant could ...

To Maintain Supply of Sex Slaves, ISIS Pushes Birth Control
Modern methods allow the Islamic State to keep up its systematic rape of captives under medieval codes.