4.3.2 to 5.3 upgrade

We've inherited an old 4.3.2 pSeries that we need to upgrade to something
newer for security reasons.  I figure if we're gonna do that, we may as
well upgrade to at least 5.2, and preferably 5.3.  Assuming the application
running on the box doesn't mind, is it possible to do a "simple" OS
upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.3 so we can keep all our configuration data,
or will we be forced to do a fresh install?  Anybody ever done an
upgrade that spanned this many versions?  How did it go?

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan@jedi.com

bvh (17)
5/25/2006 8:46:36 PM
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

In article <cmhhk3-a73.ln1@tatooine.jedi.com>, Obi-Wan <bvh@tatooine.jedi.com> wrote:
> We've inherited an old 4.3.2 pSeries that we need to upgrade to something
> newer for security reasons.  I figure if we're gonna do that, we may as
> well upgrade to at least 5.2, and preferably 5.3.  Assuming the application
> running on the box doesn't mind, is it possible to do a "simple" OS
> upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.3 so we can keep all our configuration data,
> or will we be forced to do a fresh install?  Anybody ever done an
> upgrade that spanned this many versions?  How did it go?

Not sure about 4.3.2, but 4.3.3 to 5.2 went like a dream on all the
machines. Yes, you can do a migrate upgrade which preserves settings.

The big thing you'll need to check is application and driver
compatibility with 5.2... you might have to upgrade your apps
beforehand. Also check drivers or anything that touches kernel mode,
such as SAN drivers, that kind of thing.

-Dan
0
usenet38 (424)
5/25/2006 9:22:03 PM
In article <slrne7c7vr.3uh.usenet@zappy.catbert.org>, Dan Foster <usenet@evilphb.org> wrote:
> In article <cmhhk3-a73.ln1@tatooine.jedi.com>, Obi-Wan <bvh@tatooine.jedi.com> wrote:
>> We've inherited an old 4.3.2 pSeries that we need to upgrade to something
>> newer for security reasons.  I figure if we're gonna do that, we may as
>> well upgrade to at least 5.2, and preferably 5.3.  Assuming the application
>> running on the box doesn't mind, is it possible to do a "simple" OS
>> upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.3 so we can keep all our configuration data,
>> or will we be forced to do a fresh install?  Anybody ever done an
>> upgrade that spanned this many versions?  How did it go?
>
> Not sure about 4.3.2, but 4.3.3 to 5.2 went like a dream on all the
> machines. Yes, you can do a migrate upgrade which preserves settings.

I would assume 4.3.3 to 5.3 should work, but I've never personally
tested that. Haven't done 4.3.2 to any other version other than 4.3.3.

-Dan
0
usenet38 (424)
5/25/2006 9:26:58 PM
First question should be "Is the hardware supported above 5.1?".

The Grue

<bvh@tatooine.jedi.com> wrote:
> >> We've inherited an old 4.3.2 pSeries that we need to upgrade to
something
> >> newer for security reasons.  I figure if we're gonna do that, we may as
> >> well upgrade to at least 5.2, and preferably 5.3.  Assuming the
application
> >> running on the box doesn't mind, is it possible to do a "simple" OS
> >> upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.3 so we can keep all our configuration data,
> >> or will we be forced to do a fresh install?  Anybody ever done an
> >> upgrade that spanned this many versions?  How did it go?
> >
> > Not sure about 4.3.2, but 4.3.3 to 5.2 went like a dream on all the
> > machines. Yes, you can do a migrate upgrade which preserves settings.
>
> I would assume 4.3.3 to 5.3 should work, but I've never personally
> tested that. Haven't done 4.3.2 to any other version other than 4.3.3.
>
> -Dan

0
the-grue (146)
5/25/2006 9:32:40 PM
I'm just looking at this for a customer.

4.3.2 to 5.2 is supported.
4.3.2 to 5.3 is not supported.

So either go to 5.2 and stop or go to 5.2 and then upgrade further to
5.3

Steve.
AIX and TSM Admin
Brisbane Australia

Obi-Wan wrote:
> We've inherited an old 4.3.2 pSeries that we need to upgrade to something
> newer for security reasons.  I figure if we're gonna do that, we may as
> well upgrade to at least 5.2, and preferably 5.3.  Assuming the application
> running on the box doesn't mind, is it possible to do a "simple" OS
> upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.3 so we can keep all our configuration data,
> or will we be forced to do a fresh install?  Anybody ever done an
> upgrade that spanned this many versions?  How did it go?
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan@jedi.com
>    The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>      Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>        promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

zyzygy (35)
5/26/2006 3:17:45 AM
zyzygy@telstra.com wrote:
> I'm just looking at this for a customer.
>
> 4.3.2 to 5.2 is supported.
> 4.3.2 to 5.3 is not supported.
>
> So either go to 5.2 and stop or go to 5.2 and then upgrade further to
> 5.3

After some further checking, the 5.3 release notes seem to indicate that
you can migrate from as early as 4.2.1 to 5.3, provided you jump through
a couple hoops like upgrading firmware and a few of the packages prior
to performing the migration.  See page number 7 (PDF page 13) of:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/topic/com.ibm.aix.resources/RELNOTES/5303_base_relnotes.pdf

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time that we've found AIX install
instructions to be misleading.  Where did you get your info?

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan@jedi.com

bvh (17)
5/26/2006 8:27:25 PM
The Grue - James T. Sprinkle <the-grue@hotmail.com> wrote:
> First question should be "Is the hardware supported above 5.1?".

Yes, provided I'm running a recent firmware version.  Thanks for
pointing that out, though.  I hadn't even thought to check.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan@jedi.com

bvh (17)

enscript problem on upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3
Did an upgrade yesterday from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3. We have some old code that uses the enscript command and now we are getting a banner page between each enscript command which we weren't getting under AIX 4.3.3. I can't find anything in the documentation about shutting off this banner page. Can anyone tell how, or if it's even possible, to shut off the banner page with enscript. Thx. Marv ...

ACE 5.4 build with gcc 3.3.2 on AIX 5.2 fails
I am failed to build ACE 5.4 on AIX 5.2 with gcc3.3.2 (binaries of gcc). I used config-aix5.1.h and platform_aix_g++.GNU. The error message is as following, /usr/linux/bin/ld: target expall not found colloect2: ld returned 1 exit status My guess is that AIX has a limit of 2K on maximum length of line. And the line for linking all the object files at that point is longer than 6000 bytes. Is there any way getting around this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ying (drycup@yahoo.com) Here are the detailed information, ACE VERSION: 5.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: pSeries model p615, 64-bit-kernel mode, AIX5.2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc 3.3.2 (binary distribution) CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: // config-aix5.1.h,v 1.5 2003/12/16 17:49:48 elliott_c Exp // // Config file for AIX 5.1 // This define is needed for building with Visual Age C++ 5 in incremental // mode. In the batch mode build, platform_aix_ibm.GNU sets it. The incremental // mode compiler won't be supported after ACE 5.3, so this will also go away // in that timeframe, so don't worry about future AIX versions. #if !defined (ACE_AIX_VERS) # define ACE_AIX_VERS 501 #endif #include "ace/config-aix-4.x.h" // AIX 5.1 has AIO, but it doesn't have the same API as other POSIX // systems, and the semantics of operations are ...

ontape: AIX 5.3/4.3.3 compatible ? #2
We have an ontape backups from a IDS 7.31.UD8X7 with AIX 4.3.3. For some reason we need to restore this on IDS 7.31.UD8X7 with AIX 5.3. For a instance with small databases (< 10 GB) it worked fine. Then we tried for a instance with bigger databases (> 50 GB). Here the instance went down: 13:57:21 Physical Restore of rootdbs, physdbs, logdbs, svvs001, svvs002, svvs003, svvs004, svvs005, svvs006, svvs007, svvs008 Completed. 13:57:21 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds. 13:57:21 Checkpoint loguniq 33654, logpos 0x2d018 13:58:06 No logical log restore will be performed. 13:58:06 Clearing the physical and logical logs has started 14:39:00 Cleared 7999 MB of the physical and logical logs in 2454 seconds 14:39:00 Physical Recovery Started. 14:39:00 Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored. 14:39:00 Logical Recovery Started. 14:39:03 Logical Recovery Complete. 0 Committed, 0 Rolled Back, 0 Open, 0 Bad Locks 14:39:04 Bringing system to Quiescent Mode with no Logical Restore. 14:39:05 Quiescent Mode 14:39:05 Assert Failed: Dynamic Server must abort 14:39:05 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UD8X7 14:39:05 Who: Session(1, informix@ffzd0xa6, 0, 1342709784) Thread(7, main_loop(), 50058018, 3) File: rslog.c Line: 3271 14:39:05 Results: Dynamic Server must abort 14:39:05 Action: Reinitialize shared memory 14:40:53 See Also: /opt/informix/IDS.7.31.UD8/tmp/af.3ef72f...

alt_disk_install question: upgrading AIX 4.3.3 -> 5.2
Hi there, I'm planning to upgrade an AIX 4.3.3 box to AIX 5.2. I have already created a working mksysb-CD of 5.2. The 4.3.3 machine has a rootvg consisting of two mirrored harddisks, hdisk0 and hdisk1. The method I'm planning to use to upgrade the 4.3.3 machine is: - break the rootvg mirror, remove hdisk1 from rootvg - use alt_disk_install to install the 5.2 mksysb-image on hdisk1 - reboot into 5.2 from hdisk1 My question is: do I need to install the alt_disk_install filesets from the 5.2 system on the 4.3.3 system? (These are bos.alt_disk_install.boot_images 5.2.0.11, bos.alt_dis...

[ace-bug] Compile ACE 5.4 on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.3.2
Failed to build ACE 5.4 on AIX 5.2 with gcc3.3.2 Used config-aix5.1.h and platform_aix_g++.GNU I failed with ACE5.1, 5.3 too, so I tried 5.4. Does anybody know IF it works ? Could it help to build my own AIX5.2 gcc ? (my gcc 3.3.2 is binary AIX 5.1 but it worked fine for Non-ACE- applications) Do I have to use IBM Visual C++ Compiler ? Any suggestions would be helpful. ACE VERSION: 5.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: RS/6000, 32-bit-kernel mode, AIX5.2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc 3.3.2 (binary distribution) CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: // config-aix5.1.h,v 1.5 2003/12/16 17:49:48 elliott_c Exp // // Config file for AIX 5.1 // This define is needed for building with Visual Age C++ 5 in incremental // mode. In the batch mode build, platform_aix_ibm.GNU sets it. The incremental // mode compiler won't be supported after ACE 5.3, so this will also go away // in that timeframe, so don't worry about future AIX versions. #if !defined (ACE_AIX_VERS) # define ACE_AIX_VERS 501 #endif #include "ace/config-aix-4.x.h" // AIX 5.1 has AIO, but it doesn't have the same API as other POSIX // systems, and the semantics of operations are a bit different. Will take // some real work to get this going. //#define ACE_HAS_AIO_CALLS // I think this is correct, but needs to be verified... -Steve Huston #define ACE_HAS_SIGTIMEDWAIT // AIX 5....

Aix 5.2 and gcc 3.3

Apache 2.0.48+php 4.3.4+Aix 4.3.3
Hello. I'm trying to compile this version of apache with php support on Aix 4.3.3ML11. I use gcc 3.2.1 compiler and all seems to go right. But when i try to access to a php page apache shows segmentation fault and doesn't answer. Any idea ? Thanks. > Hello. > I'm trying to compile this version of apache with php support on Aix > 4.3.3ML11. > I use gcc 3.2.1 compiler and all seems to go right. > But when i try to access to a php page apache shows segmentation fault and > doesn't answer. > > Any idea ? Does Apache also segfaults wh...

Apache 2.0.48+Php 4.3.4+Aix 4.3.3
Hello. I'm trying to compile this version of apache with php support on Aix 4.3.3ML11. I use gcc 3.2.1 compiler and all seems to go right. But when i try to access to a php page apache shows segmentation fault and doesn't answer. Any idea ? Thanks. ...

AIX 4.3.3. install reverts to 4.3.2 ???
Hi After doing a fresh install of AIX 4.3.3, oslevel actually reports the version as 4.3.3 . After loading some of the prereqs for C for AIX 6, oslevel reports the version as 4.3.2 . Has anyone ran into this? Thanks, Jeffrey After a little more searching I found the there is a PTF file to address this problem. thanks On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:23:24 -0500, Jeff Christensen <jeffreyc@sympatico.ca> wrote: >Hi > > After doing a fresh install of AIX 4.3.3, oslevel actually >reports the version as 4.3.3 . After loading some of the prereqs for >C for AIX 6, osle...

FW: IDS Migration from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2
Trying to send again. Steve Brown -----Original Message----- From: Brown, Steve L [ITS] Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 8:31 AM To: 'TBP' Subject: RE: IDS Migration from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 We fought this for over a month last year. We went from some RS6000 running 2 500 mHZ cpu's to a P630 running 4 1 gig cpu's. We went from 4.3.3 on the old boxes to 5.2 on the new machines and had many problem trying to get Informix to behave. IBM, after many weeks of trying and failing, had us change from 64 bit kernel to a 32 bit kernel. That helped a lot, but still had problems with Informix. They then made us change from "shared memory" to tcp connections. IBM said the problem was that the "Regatta" boxes are too fast to use "shared memory". Things settled down and we went into production. But last year has been horrible with our app. We lost performance. We run ton's of big stored procedures and choke the boxes pretty often. They finally closed all our open ticket in favor of upgrading to the next relase and see how it goes. We're going to upgrade next month. I forgot the next version number. The gut feel is that Informix ran better under 4.3 with the 2 500 mHZ cpu's. Steve Brown -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of TBP Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 4:58 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: I...

Upgrading 4.3.3 to 5.2
I have been working up a project plan to upgrade a 4.3.3 box to 5.2. I have gone through the manuals, preinstallation tasks, scripts and checks and hope that some of you who have more experience than me can proof my plan and provide advice. Background: We have the standard rootvg of hdisk0 and hdisk1 and intend to do the CD based migration install to hdisk1(we do not have the capability to use nimadm at this time). We need to be able to fall back to the 4.3.3 OS on hdisk0 if we run into problems with the application or upgrade. Tasks: 1) Break mirror on rootvg 2) Create a boot image on hd...

Compile C on AIX 5.3 and run on AIX 4.3.3
We are running AIX 5.3 (64 bit kernal). We develop using the IBM XL C compiler version 7. For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 and run on AIX 4.3.3? Loial wrote: > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > and run on AIX 4.3.3? No. The general rule is that you compile and build on the earliest level you need to support. Is it not possible to set compiler options to generate code that will run on AIX 4.3.3? On 13 Feb, 15:11, "Gary R. Hook" <n...@nospammers.net> wrote: > Loial wrote: > > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > > and run on AIX 4.3.3? > > No. The general rule is that you compile and build on the earliest > level you need to support. On Feb 14, 8:22 am, "Loial" <a...@loial.co.uk> wrote: > Is it not possible to set compiler options to generate code that will > run on AIX 4.3.3? No, not at all ... ref: http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/os/ compatibility/ HTH Mark Taylor On Feb 13, 7:24 pm, "Loial" <a...@loial.co.uk> wrote: > We are running AIX 5.3 (64 bit kernal). We develop using the IBM XL C > compiler version 7. > > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > and run on AIX 4.3.3? It is possible to compile on a later version and run it on a previous version. But you must be really really lucky - I repeat, really lucky, if you see your ...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3)
Hi Tom, > > > The "resolution" was to upgrade to ACE-5.4.3 or later, which has > > > code fixes to help with the newer compiler. Not sure how > much would > > > need to change, but you may be able to inspect the differences in > > > that part of the code wrt the newer ACE release to backport the > > > fixes. > > Thanks, I've downloaded and am building. Is ACE-5.4.3 the latest > > production release ? > > Well, the definition of "production release" for ACE is a bit murky > imho. Production release is one with 2 numbers. E.g., 5.4 > The developers on this list (almost) always recommend using the > latest package, which is typically labeled a "beta release". > The latest > would be 5.4.4. The developers always recommend *not* using the > "production release", since the next release labeled "beta" > is always a bug-fix-only release. I believe I qualify as a "developer", but have a different take. Production releases are tested well, and often better than the BFO beta. There may be fixes in BFO, but there may be additional bugs also - it happened at 5.4.1. For those wishing to adopt a version of ACE and stick with it, you'll need a version you can get support (fixes and advice) for. For example, Riverace supports releases (e.g., 5.4) and fix kits that Riverace releases for those (i...

convert String "1;2;3;4;5;" to Array [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
I'm trying to convert a String of numbers that are separated by semicolons to an Array---totally for fun, to stretch my ruby understanding, fyi. I use the Array in a while loop which does work when the Array looks like = [1,2,3,4,5,...]---so that part is working. But I want to use ruby to convert a String = "1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10" into an Array [1,2,3,4,5,...] so that I can use these values. I've tried many a method, but can't seem to get the desired result; I've tried gsub(/\;/, ","), eval (), and others. ########## raw_data = "1;2;3...

Ruby 1.8.3 Build error on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.4.4
Hello, I've found errors on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.4.4 : -A) Configuration errors : -1) Bind error in ext/bigdecimal because the file ruby.imp doesn't exist. In the main Makefile, $(RBCONFIG) target needs $(ARCHFILE). You can have the line : $(RBCONFIG): $(srcdir)/mkconfig.rb config.status $(PREP) $(ARCHFILE) -B) Compiler errors : -1) ext/readline.c line 13 : <unistd.h> includes some 64 bits features if the configuration program set the macro __LARGE_FILES. So, if you don't use 64 bits file acces you have to add "#undef __LARGE_FILES" in line 13 just be...

AIX 4.3.3 64bit binaries <-> AIX 5.3
Dear We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even possible. Could someone shed some light on this? Thnx Miguel Miguel Sanders wrote: > Dear > > We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would > like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX > 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even > possible. Could someone shed some light on this? > > Thnx > > Miguel > You need to rebuilt (recompile and relink) AIX 4.3 64bit binaries for them to run on AIX v5 and later. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.resources/faq.htm http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xlf101a.doc/xlfcr/ldt_support.htm Paul Landay I only have the binaries Not the source :( So I'm afraid this won't be possible. On 8 aug, 12:27, Paul Landay <lan...@attglobal.net> wrote: > Miguel Sanders wrote: > > Dear > > > We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would > > like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX > > 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even > > possible. Could someone shed some light on this? > > >...

finger command output is different between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3
AIXers, The "finger" command output appears differently between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3. finger output in AIX 4.3.3: Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info root System p2 Tue 07:57 root System p6 2 Mon 08:39 finger output in AIX 5.3 has a lot of blank lines: Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info root System *l0 1d Tue 07:28 root System p7 1 Tue 07:29 root System p28 Tue 07:56 Is there a setup or config in AIX 5.3 to make the output from "finger" appear like it does in AIX 4.3.3? Thanks, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College 1501 Morningside Ave Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717 Phone: 1-712-274-5250 Email: watkins@morningside.edu mside wrote: > AIXers, > > The "finger" command output appears differently between > AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3. > > finger output in AIX 4.3.3: > Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info > root System p2 Tue 07:57 > root System p6 2 Mon 08:39 > > finger output in AIX 5.3 has a lot of blank lines: > Login Name TTY...

Migrate from AIX 4.3.3 ML09 to AIX 5.3 TL4-CSP
Hi all, As the subject means, i would like to migrate an IBM pseries (7026-6H1) from aix 4.3.3 to aix 5.3. The Firmware is "AIX 5.3 ready" (ROM Level. (alterable).......M2P050203_condor_). I have read IBM Migration procedure : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/hw/index.jsp?topic=/iphbm/iphbm_migration_howto.htm On this machine, i have a Volume group with EMC PowerPath physical Volumes : hdiskpower7 00555f2aff72acc3 statsvg hdiskpower8 00555f2aff7d5d88 statsvg hdiskpower16 00555f2aff725a3d statsvg hdiskpower17 00555f2aff7d9893 statsvg Here is EMC fileset version which are installed : EMCpower.base 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Base Driver and EMCpower.consistency_grp 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Consistency Group EMCpower.multi_path 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Multi_Pathing EMCpower.multi_path_clariion I know that powerpath version is no longer supported on aix 5.3. I would like to know what is the best way to migrate correctly : do I have to do an "exportvg statvg", uninstall EMC FIleset, migrate aix version, install latest EMC fileset and finally importvg ? If i export an aix 4.3.3 VG, do i will be able to import it on aix 5.3 without problems ? Thanks in advance for your answers, Laurent On Nov 13, 3:32 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com" <laurent.ol...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > do I have to do an "exportvg statvg", uninstall EMC FIles...

vt100 terminfo works differently at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3
AIX'ers, I'm running AIX 5.3 on a P5-550 machine and AIX 4.3.3 on an F50. For some reason any PC software running the vt100 terminal emulation handles the BACKSPACE and DELETE keys differently at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3. At AIX 4.3.3 the backspace erases the character completely from the screen as the cursor moves backwards. At AIX 5.3 the backspace moves the cursor back but leaves the character. Note: the character is actually erases but still shows. At AIX 4.3.3 the delete key erases all characters back to the AIX prompt. At AIX 5.3 the delete key shows the character "=A7" and does not clear the characters back to the prompt. Note: The line is actually deleted/cleared even though the cursor doesn't move back to the AIX prompt. Does anyone have a good source file (i.e. dec.ti file) that works like the AIX 4.3.3 vt100-am at AIX 5.3 that I could try to use? Thanks, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College 1501 Morningside Ave Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717 =20 Phone: 1-712-274-5250 =20 Email: watkins@morningside.edu mside <watkins@morningside.edu> wrote: > For some reason any PC software running the vt100 terminal > emulation handles the BACKSPACE and DELETE keys differently > at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3. it's less likely that it's the terminfo than your stty settings have changed. -- Thomas E. Dickey http://invisible-island.net ftp://invisible-island.net ...

Newbie question; why (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is ((1 2) 3 4) and not ((1 2) (3 4))
Hi, I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is evaluated to ((1 2) 3 4) I do not understand why this is not: ((1 2) (3 4)) because (cdr (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (3 4) and (car (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (1 2) Is there a logical explanation? Thank you for your patience. -- Greg Out of order, gregor <gregor@ediwo.com> writes: > Is there a logical explanation? Yes. > I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon But first, let's talk about LISP, Lisp, Scheme and Common Lisp. LISP is the name of the programming language invented in 1959 by John McCarthy and of the first program implementing it written amongst other by Steve Russel, one of his students. LISP 1.5 is a segueing version of that same program dating about 1962 that had some distribution. Then various lisp languages were developed at various places by various teams. Names such as MacLisp, InterLisp, LeLisp, StandardLisp, vLisp, Lisp Machine Lisp, Scheme, GNU Emacs Lisp, etc. It was quite a mess, and people had a hard time sharing programs. So they talked and designed and wrote and voted and produced the ANSI Common Lisp standard (in the USA), meanwhile in Europe they produced the ISO Lisp standard. Nowadays, almost all the other lisps are "dead", with only scheme (current version r5rs, r7r...

Upgrading from PHP 4.2.3 to 4.3.4 consequences ?
Hi, Where can I find informations about consequences of upgrading from PHP 4.2.3 to 4.3 regarding existing PHP applications ? I have lots of existing PHP (4.2.3) scripts, will everything still work if I upgrade PHP to 4.3 ? What changes have to be done ? (Solaris 8, Apache 1.3.28, Oracle 8.1.9.3) Thanks, Seb "S. Crespel" wrote: > > Hi, > > Where can I find informations about consequences of upgrading from PHP > 4.2.3 to 4.3 regarding existing PHP applications ? > > I have lots of existing PHP (4.2.3) scripts, will everything still work > if I upgrade PHP to 4.3 ? What changes have to be done ? > > (Solaris 8, Apache 1.3.28, Oracle 8.1.9.3) You could search php.net for the changelogs, for starters. Regards, Shawn -- Shawn Wilson shawn@glassgiant.com http://www.glassgiant.com I have a spam filter. Please include "PHP" in the subject line to ensure I'll get your message. Hi, I read them, not very digest and not very usefull. I'd like something more convenient. I've heard somrthing about function parameter problems, object's constructors and destructors, aso .. Of course I'll build a test pateform but I need to have an idea of how much time it will take. Not a clue ? Nowhere ? I did find nothing in php.net nor easily with google. Thanks, Seb "Shawn Wilson" <shawn@glassgiant.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 40055CE1.44A9C675@glassgiant.com... > "S. Cres...

lex problem migrating from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3 (NCH was 256 is 4096)
I am migrating a large application from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3 and have hit a problem with lex. In AIX 4.3.3 lex compiles many files sucessfully, but in AIX 5.3 it does not. The problem is that the number of transitions has increased markedly for the same lex source file. this seems to be caused by the "#define NCH 4096" on line 6 of the generated C file. (The value was 256 under AIX 4.3.3.) There is a corresponding increase in generated tables in the C file (with 4096 lines of table data as opposed to 256 previously). If I run AIX 5.3 lex against my lex source file I get the follo...

Error with g++ 3.3.2 on AIX 5.3
Hi, i have a simple makefile which looks like this: CArchive: CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a CFileRw.o: CFileRw.cxx HCommon.h g++ -c CFileRw.cxx CArchive.o: CArchive.cxx HCommon.h g++ -c CArchive.cxx CMain.o: CMain.cxx HCommon.h g++ -c CMain.cxx clean: rm CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o When i try complining this on AIX 5.3 with g++ 3.3.2. It gives the below mentioned error g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a ld: 0711-447 SEVERE ERROR: Shared object 3rdparty_1.a The .loader section has been truncated. The object is being ignored. collect2: ld returned 12 exit status make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1. If somone can point out as to whats going wrong here, that would be nice. thanks, nu2007@gmail.com wrote: > When i try complining this on AIX 5.3 with g++ 3.3.2. It gives the > below mentioned error > g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a > ld: 0711-447 SEVERE ERROR: Shared object 3rdparty_1.a > The .loader section has been truncated. The object is being ignored. > collect2: ld returned 12 exit status > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1. > > If somone can point out as to whats going wrong here, that would be > nice. Um, there's something wrong with 3rdpart_1.a? You can use the dump command to validate the file, but clearly there's so...

4.3.3 to 5.1 Migration Upgrade AIX Troubles...
Hi All We've been trying to upgrade our Unix machine (an IBM RS/6000 F50) from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1. I think the trouble we're having is best described in 3 sections, so here goes... Problem 1 Each time we try and perform the "migration" upgrade to AIX 5.1 we get *different* errors. Here is a selection of them: a) "Cannot find the bos.rte pre-install script bos.rte_pre_i" b) "fill_target_stanzas [62] - cannot execute" The most common error we see repeatedly is this one: "RPM Error Summary The specified device /SPOT is not a valid device or f...

Web resources about - 4.3.2 to 5.3 upgrade - comp.unix.aix

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) was an upgrade method offered by Microsoft and selected licensed resellers to users who intended to upgrade their ...

President Obama's Facebook Page Upgrades To Timeline
Yes, we can upgrade to timeline. U.S. President Barack Obama's Facebook page has the new layout.

Four Reasons to Upgrade to the New Share Dialog for iOS
... as friend tagging and privacy controls. 2. A faster and more native sharing experience Pinterest and popular iOS game 4 Pics 1 Word upgraded ...

More Streams: Facebook to Upgrade App Directory, App About Pages Soon
Over 50,000 applications have been added to the Facebook application directory since it first launched two years ago, and Facebook says it’s ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh Laura Tobin @ Lauratobin1 2m The only way to get through today is chocolate, I'm going to start small with baby & upgrade ...

Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... Flickr. We noticed that you may be using an unsupported browser. All the basics will still work, but to get the most out of Flickr please upgrade ...

ModBook Upgrade by TechRestore - YouTube
http://www.techrestore.com/ - TechRestore Video - Here is the world's first Modbook upgrade video - TechRestore stop-motion style, of course! ...