access AIX with putty

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
command when i type the up arraw key.

AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
linux.

Thanks & Regards

Robert Ngo

0
Reply robertncl (19) 2/17/2006 5:09:35 AM

See related articles to this posting

Hi Robert,
You may want to try :
stty erase ^?
set -o vi
Use esc-K, esc-J as counterparts of up arrow and down arrow key
respectively.
-Thanks
Manju

robertncl@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
> when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
> not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
> command when i type the up arraw key.
>
> AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
> linux.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Robert Ngo

0
Reply mbmuttur (3) 2/17/2006 7:01:26 AM

If you're used to (or prefer) Bash on Linux, you can change your shell
from Korn to Bash.
It should be already installed (unless you're using AIX < 5.1)

0
Reply rakeshsingh.za (7) 2/17/2006 9:47:28 AM

You can configure the code putty sends when you press backspace.
When starting putty on the left hand there is "Terminal"->"Keyboard".
When you switch from "CTRL-H" to "CTRL-?(127) the backspace problem
is solved.

Bye, Stefan ...  .     .      .

0
Reply sllabres (47) 2/17/2006 10:25:16 AM

On 2006-02-17, robertncl@gmail.com <robertncl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
> when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
> not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
> command when i type the up arraw key.
>
> AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
> linux.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Robert Ngo

There is a configuration change in Putty where you can change
what code is emitted for a backspace between ^H and DEL.

Mike
0
Reply mikee (687) 2/17/2006 12:04:33 PM
comp.unix.aix 10882 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth bvasanth123@rediffmail.com (Vasanth) wrote: >I am using ...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote: > Hi: ...

iSeries Access for Linux on AIX? for HMC access
Hi All, My HMC is shared between pSeries and iSeries. The HMC is only accessible through a AIX machine. The SvP, HMC and AIX machine are on a secured VLAN, not accessible directly from my PC, and the HMC is at great distance. With WebSM, the AIX partitions can create a vt100 terminal, but the (remote) 5250 terminal is not working through WebSM. I need to TN5250 from the AIX server to the HMC (Q#HMC), so I want to install the Linux ppc version of iSeries Access on AIX5.2 on power4 . Anyone with experience? Jan W ...

AIX developer access or hardware to run AIX (Europe)
Hi, Is there, just like for Linux on Power an organization that allows you to access an AIX machine as a software developer? I will mainly use it for porting software to AIX, but also for learning about the differences between Linux and AIX. Alternatively I would consider buying a machine (new or second hand), but I don't really know what the mininum requirements are for a machine capable of running Linux and AIX 6.1. But I have problems finding a site that sells these machines to European customers (more particulary Belgium customers). Does anybody know a site that sells to European cus...

Putty for SSH access
Hi, I can log into my linux pc with the username (root) / password combination. When I try to use Putty to do the same thing, and when prompted for username and password, access is denied. Any ideas why? Cheers On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 08:36 -0700, jny0 wrote: > Hi, > > I can log into my linux pc with the username (root) / password > combination. When I try to use Putty to do the same thing, and when > prompted for username and password, access is denied. Any ideas why? > > Cheers More detail please. I have no problem doing this... if ssh is configured to allow tun...

AIX Access for NT4?
With a newly burned image of some AIXness, I'd like to czech it to see if I have anything remotely useable. Yet without hauling out one of my AIXboxen and setting it up, and _without_ inflicting Linux on myself, how can I access the CD? It's in AIXtongue, unreadable by my Wintel boxen. Suggestions? It's 499MB in size, so DOSWRITE is _NOT_ acceptable. My suggestion is burn it to a disk and send it to me........ I have several AIX boxen set up to receive it....... 7012-320, 7012-370, N40 (the cause of all this ruckus) CT > My suggestion is burn it t...

Putty + AIX + X11 forwarding
Dear All, I have Xmanager running on my PC as the X-Server and Putty as my ssh client for my AIX server. I have "enable X11 forwarding" under "SSH" -> "Tunnels" and has the "X display location" as "localhost:0". I even tried to set the value same as the IP of my local PC. When I connect to the AIX machine using putty, I don't see the DISPLAY variable set. I could set the DISPLAY to my pc's ip address on the ssh session on AIX by "export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0" then I am able to run X- programs. If I set the DISPLAY on...

Linux + AIX Console Access
Hi All, I have a Rs/6000 (G40), and I have no graphic card in it, however I have a free serial port. I would like to use my Linux box as the console for it (using minicom). I have a NULL modem cable, but I am not sure what I need to do on my Linux side. Anyone do this before? tia Mag wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a Rs/6000 (G40), and I have no graphic card in it, however I > have a free serial port. I would like to use my Linux box as the > console for it (using minicom). I have a NULL modem cable, but I am not > sure what I need to do on my Linux side. Anyone do this befo...

How to access Maple using Putty
I am trying to remotely acess my files which contain Maple programmes and figures. I am able to acess my account,but at the moment I cam getting the Maple command--ie. I can write new programmes,but I can't acess files that I've already written,and I can't acess the figures drawn by Maple.I have been told to copy the files on the command line--what does this mean? Which command line? And I was told that "pscp" requires syntax. What?? I'm a beginner,so can someone please help? Thank you "Dunkin Donuts" <d_b_bartlett@hotmail.com> writes: >I am tryi...

How does AIX handle unaligned access?
Hi Friends, How does AIX handle unaligned access? Why isn't sigbus seen on AIX? For e.g. the below piece of code would pass through fine on AIX.. but on HP it dumps with a SIGBUS -------- char arr[]="abcdefgh"; char *cp, *cp2; int i=99, j=88, k; int *ip; main() { cp = (char *)&i; cp2 = &arr[1]; for (k=0; k<4; k++) cp2[k] = * (cp+k); ip = (int *)&arr[1]; j = *ip; printf("%d\n", j); } -------------- Thanks, Mukundan In article <h2eFg.5$ud5.87@news.oracle.com>, Mukundan Narayanan <mukundan.narayanan@oracle.c...

access service processor when aix is running
Is there a way to access the sp when aix is running. The console is connected using serial line. I'm looking for anything similar to #. on solaris machines. Sending this command causing the rsc to show up. This is useful if the system hangs and you want to switch off the machine. Patrick Patrick wrote : > Is there a way to access the sp when aix is running. The console is > connected using serial line. I'm looking for anything similar to #. on > solaris machines. Sending this command causing the rsc to show up. This > is useful if the system hangs and you want to switch...

Using Return Codes (PuTTY and AIX)
We need to call an AIX script (scriptA calls programB) from a Windows machine (batch job) using PuTTY (PLINK). ScriptA is a generic wrapper script that passes some parameters to programB. We cannot run programB directly (policy) on the AIX machine. We've gotten a Windows batch job to log in with PLINK and start scriptA, which runs programB. This works OK, but if there is a problem we don't have any visibility into it. The most we have been able to do is get a return of 0 that means scriptA was run. We really need to know on the Windows machine if either scriptA or programB on the...

Using Return Codes (PuTTY and AIX)
We need to call an AIX script (scriptA calls programB) from a Windows machine (batch job) using PuTTY (PLINK). ScriptA is a generic wrapper script that passes some parameters to programB. We cannot run programB directly (policy) on the AIX machine. We've gotten a Windows batch job to log in with PLINK and start scriptA, which runs programB. This works OK, but if there is a problem we don't have any visibility into it. The most we have been able to do is get a return of 0 that means scriptA was run. We really need to know on the Windows machine if either scriptA or programB on the...

ssh access denied using putty
Hi. I'm getting "Access Denied" when I try to login via SSH to my SLES linux running on the VM ware. The service is running, but I'm being denied access. I've tried with root account also , all with valid passwords. Randomly sometimes , i am able to login to server and work for some time , but soon connection is aborted by the server. Below is event log of putty : 2009-03-04 13:36:15 Looking up host "10.143.67.99" 2009-03-04 13:36:15 Connecting to 10.143.67.99 port 22 2009-03-04 13:36:15 Server version: SSH-2.0-Sun_SSH_1.1 2009-03-04 13:36:15 We clai...

Using Return Codes (PuTTY and AIX)
We need to call an AIX script (scriptA calls programB) from a Windows machine (batch job) using PuTTY (PLINK). ScriptA is a generic wrapper script that passes some parameters to programB. We cannot run programB directly (policy). We've gotten a Windows batch job to log in with PLINK and start scriptA, which runs programB. This works OK, but if there is a problem we don't have any visibility into it. The most we have been able to do is get a return of 0 that means scriptA was run. We really need to know on the Windows machine if either scriptA or programB on the AIX machine fails,...

Putty
Hiya all, The Putty software rocks - much better than my "Work Supplied" software! However.... When I'm using a Orange 3G card, on my XP laptop, when I'm out of the office - Puty is really slow! (I Telnet, SSH over a VPN clinet - into my Corporate Network) My putty (0.51) Runs really slowly for some reason over this! I've tried: 1. A number of Unix Work Servers (Over a VPN access) - all the same... 2. the "BROADBAND" access option on my VPN client - this speeds it up, but still slow! NB: Exceed, my other Unix Terminal screen emulation software - do...

Want to access my own sever via Putty
Hello all; I've been using Putty to access my web site (hosted by an ISP) for some time now. I am now trying to run my own server. I am using Windows NT4 and have installed Apache, PHP, MySQL, Perl, Xmail, War FTP, etc., etc., etc. Everything seems to be running fine. I would like the ability to access my server via Putty. When I enter the name of the server (from my hosts file), I get a connection refused msg (I can access Apache, and war FTP just fine so I know the server name and network are OK). I know I need something running on the server (port 2220?) -- but what? I've...

function keys in KEA/putty with AIX
I'm observing some puzzling behaviour when accessing our AIX 5.3 server over telnet. We have two telnet clients available, one is KEA! and one is putty. I'd really prefer to switch over to putty but the function keys aren't working! I'm using term vt220 for both programs, and F1 - F4 keys are working and sending the same character codes which appear on command line as PQRS. However with keys F5 - F12, KEA! sends a return char for F5 and then ~7, ~8, ~9. ~0, ~1, ~3, ~4 for the other keys up to F12. Putty sends PQRS for F1 to F4 and then for F5 to F12 it sends TUVWXYZ[. Can...

Access to other equipment via rs232 from AIX?
I would like to access to other equipment via RS232? In linux it is easy via minicom or kermit, but in AIX? Do I have to set something for it in SMIT ?? azmk@gazeta.pl (Michael) wrote in message news:<c08cbd4f.0401221343.2b1f464b@posting.google.com>... > I would like to access to other equipment via RS232? In linux it is > easy via minicom or kermit, but in AIX? > > Do I have to set something for it in SMIT ?? In AIX it is via the "cu" command. Steve Steve Nottingham wrote: > azmk@gazeta.pl (Michael) wrote in message news:<c08cbd4f.0401221343.2b1f464b@po...

Mapping a function key in PuTTY on AIX
Please someone walk me through how to map a function key using PuTTY while using telnet or SSH to AIX or Redhat Linux. For example, I want to be able to hit the F9 key and have 'date' appear in the command line. I can't believe how hard this is. Bill Adams <billadams10@gmail.com> writes: > Please someone walk me through how to map a function key using PuTTY > while using telnet or SSH to AIX or Redhat Linux. For example, I want > to be able to hit the F9 key and have 'date' appear in the command > line. I can't believe how hard this is. PuTTY does n...

Using Return Codes (PuTTY and AIX)
We need to call an AIX script (scriptA calls programB) from a Windows machine (batch job) using PuTTY (PLINK). ScriptA is a generic wrapper script that passes some parameters to programB. We cannot run programB directly (policy). We've gotten a Windows batch job to log in with PLINK and start scriptA, which runs programB. This works OK, but if there is a problem we don't have any visibility into it. The most we have been able to do is get a return of 0 that means scriptA was run. We really need to know on the Windows machine if either scriptA or programB on the AIX machine fails,...

Accessing heterogenous data from Oracle/AIX
Hi : I am running Oracle 9.0.2 on AIX.I have an ODBC compliant DB (Called TDS, on Objectstar) on a Windows 2003 server.The ODBC drivers supplied by the vendor have been installed on my windows machine and the Windows server.I can connect from EXCEL/ACCESS etc from my machine.No problem. But I want to connect from my oracle server and get the data from TDS.The vendor hasnot supplied any ODBC drivers to install on AIX. Can anybody suggest me the correct approach to this. I want to be able to query the TDS database.I am in the process of migrating data . Lig Reply to lignite ...

Problem with screen display
Hello group, We're having a problem with PuTTY and an AIX box. The AIX box is running some bespoke software that is usually accessed with a custom Telnet client provided by the developers of the bespoke software. Logging in is fine. After some fiddling we've got the function keys/colours and line drawing working correctly. On certain screens in the software though, things aren't displaying as they should. Things seem to go wrong on the 3rd line down which has a horizontal line going right across. The first letter of line 4 is right at the end of line 3, line...

ssh access denied using putty #2