access AIX with putty

Hi,

I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
command when i type the up arraw key.

AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
linux.

Thanks & Regards

Robert Ngo

0
robertncl (19)
2/17/2006 5:09:35 AM
comp.unix.aix 10958 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

Hi Robert,
You may want to try :
stty erase ^?
set -o vi
Use esc-K, esc-J as counterparts of up arrow and down arrow key
respectively.
-Thanks
Manju

robertncl@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
> when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
> not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
> command when i type the up arraw key.
>
> AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
> linux.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Robert Ngo

0
mbmuttur (3)
2/17/2006 7:01:26 AM
If you're used to (or prefer) Bash on Linux, you can change your shell
from Korn to Bash.
It should be already installed (unless you're using AIX < 5.1)

You can configure the code putty sends when you press backspace.
When starting putty on the left hand there is "Terminal"->"Keyboard".
When you switch from "CTRL-H" to "CTRL-?(127) the backspace problem
is solved.

Bye, Stefan ...  .     .      .

0
sllabres (47)
2/17/2006 10:25:16 AM
On 2006-02-17, robertncl@gmail.com <robertncl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a linux user and just started with AIX this week, i found that
> when using putty to acess the server the backspace button and tab does
> not work like linux server and the system does not display the last
> command when i type the up arraw key.
>
> AIX guru please advice on how to make the command work the same way as
> linux.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Robert Ngo

There is a configuration change in Putty where you can change
what code is emitted for a backspace between ^H and DEL.

Mike
0
mikee (687)

AIX developer access or hardware to run AIX (Europe)
Hi, Is there, just like for Linux on Power an organization that allows you to access an AIX machine as a software developer? I will mainly use it for porting software to AIX, but also for learning about the differences between Linux and AIX. Alternatively I would consider buying a machine (new or second hand), but I don't really know what the mininum requirements are for a machine capable of running Linux and AIX 6.1. But I have problems finding a site that sells these machines to European customers (more particulary Belgium customers). Does anybody know a site that sells to European customers? Most IBM resellers sell only to corporate customers. Thanks a lot, Kind regards, Roel. rsergeant <rsergeant@gmail.com> writes: > Is there, just like for Linux on Power an organization that allows you > to access an AIX machine as a software developer? For commercial users, there is the Virtual Loaner Program: http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/partnerworld/wps/pub/systems/vlp/index Cheers, -- In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion. Remove /-nsp/ for email. rsergeant schrieb: > Alternatively I would consider buying a machine (new or second hand), > but I don't really know what the mininum requirements are for a > machine capable of running Linux and AIX 6.1. Power4 boxes (e.g. Power4-based IntelliStations) have started to appear on eBay relatively cheap. On Jan 9, 5:26 pm, rsergeant <rserge...@gmail.com> wrote:...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304157603)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304157603) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303583160)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303583160) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304132401. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304732416. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45303832413. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must...

How to restrict user access to a folder only on AIX Unix while doing FTP
Hi , I really need your help badly .Please help me to resolve this issue. I created a user ftptest assigned to group ftpuser . What we want is user shouldn't navigate from one directory to another while doing FTP.It means he should confine to his home directory throug out FTP session. I can restrict the user to his home directory by invoking restrict shell (i.e rsh) but stil user can navigate during FTP session . Thanks for your help in advance Niraj We needed to do this, or something quite similar, so installed ProFTP from the Bull archive. We configured it to chroot() the user into their home directory, with anonymous being chrooted into a different directory. Works a charm. niraj_2005@yahoo.com.sg (niraj_2005@yahoo.com.sg) wrote in message news:<a2ffe9ad.0407200156.11dde6a9@posting.google.com>... > Hi , > I really need your help badly .Please help me to resolve this issue. I > created a user ftptest assigned to group ftpuser . What we want is user > shouldn't navigate from one directory to another while doing FTP.It means > he should confine to his home directory throug out FTP session. > I can restrict the user to his home directory by invoking restrict > shell (i.e rsh) but stil user can navigate during FTP session . > > Thanks for your help in advance > Niraj Look at the script /usr/samples/ftp/anon.ftp <niraj_2005@yahoo.com.sg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a2ffe9a...

putenv for AIX and ifdef for AIX
I have read several posts about putenv is not Standard C. But I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is available in AIX. All of our other platforms (linux (32 and 64 bit), sgi, hpux, x86, darwin (intel and mac), interix and sun) behave properly for our application. We found that if we run this command prior to running the application, it works correctly: set LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x80000000;export LDR_CNTRL Our problem is that we start a parent process that spawns the child application. If we set the LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA prior to starting the parent process, other child applications are failing. Our initial solution is to have wrap around child application that sets the environmental variable and then spawns an additional child. This environmental variable would only be set if the the operating system is AIX. Second question, does anyone know the correct #ifdef statement to check for AIX, is it: #ifdef __AIX__ I'm a very very green C programmer! Thanks Rick ClownPleco wrote: > I have read several posts about putenv is not Standard C. But I'm > wondering if anyone knows if it is available in AIX. All of our other > platforms (linux (32 and 64 bit), sgi, hpux, x86, darwin (intel and > mac), interix and sun) behave properly for our application. We found > that if we run this command prior to running the application, it works > correctly: > > set LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x80000000;export LDR_CNTRL > > Our problem is that we start a pa...

Unix AIX
What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away and the server hangs, i would apprecaite a list of commands for unix aix, we are on version 6.1 Thanks!! SAPUNIX wrote: > What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes > we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away > and the server hangs those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? In comp.unix.aix, Sven Mascheck <mascheck@email.invalid> wrote: >SAPUNIX wrote: >> What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes >> we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away >> and the server hangs > >those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? My experience is if they don't go away from properly formatted ipcs / ipcrm commands, it's because they're tied to processes which are hung waiting on kernel threads (and basically, defunct). In which case you need to kill the owning process (which is already dead, and which probably won't respond to a kill -9 since it's stuck in a kernel thread) or reboot the box. SAP is the worst offender in this regard IME. It's the only app I've ever known people have to constantly clear down shared memory / semaphores for when it doesn't shut down cleanly. -- Tony Evans Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993 blog...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth bvasanth123@rediffmail.com (Vasanth) wrote: >I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on >Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to >Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win >platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and >AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I >need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access >is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. If it's read only the following might work. MDB Tools is a set of libraries and utilities to facilitate exporting data from MS Access databases (mdb files) without using the Microsoft DLLs. In other words they are reverse engineering the layout of the MDB file. mdbtools.sourceforge.net Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the e...

putenv for AIX and ifdef for AIX
I have read several posts about putenv is not Standard C. But I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is available in AIX. All of our other platforms (linux (32 and 64 bit), sgi, hpux, x86, darwin (intel and mac), interix and sun) behave properly for our application. We found that if we run this command prior to running the application, it works correctly: set LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x80000000;export LDR_CNTRL Our problem is that we start a parent process that spawns the child application. If we set the LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA prior to starting the parent process, other child applications are faili...

Difference between HP Unix and Unix AIX
What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? Is there any ? dlprogress wrote: > What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? > Is there any ? > > Unless you're getting into system dependent stuff, no, there's no real difference. However, one real difference is that AIX is an IBM and not an HP product. -- Fletcher Glenn ...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on > Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to > Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win > platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and > AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I > need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access > is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. > (I can't change database product) > > Thanks, > Vasanth Vasanth, You would need odbc drivers on Solaris/AIX. Googling for odbc unix gives a good hit: http://www.easysoft.com/solutions/accessnw.phtml Its a good place to start your investigations from... -- Shanmu. Vasanth wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Acce...

US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45335532407)
US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45335532407) ========================================================================================== Position: AIX Eng. Reference: SMC01843 Location: Auburn Hill MI Duration: 3M Skills: UNIX 3-5 YEARS exp AIX Applied Engineering Requirements determination Scope: Taking requirements from AIX servers, developing Build documentation and creating work orders. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45335532407. ...

US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45335832408)
US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45335832408) ========================================================================================== Position: AIX Eng. Reference: SMC01843 Location: Auburn Hill MI Duration: 3M Skills: UNIX 3-5 YEARS exp AIX Applied Engineering Requirements determination Scope: Taking requirements from AIX servers, developing Build documentation and creating work orders. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45335832408. ...

US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45334357603)
US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45334357603) ========================================================================================== Position: AIX Eng. Reference: SMC01843 Location: Auburn Hill MI Duration: 3M Skills: UNIX 3-5 YEARS exp AIX Applied Engineering Requirements determination Scope: Taking requirements from AIX servers, developing Build documentation and creating work orders. Please send your current resume in c...

US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45334314407)
US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45334314407) ========================================================================================== Position: AIX Eng. Reference: SMC01843 Location: Auburn Hill MI Duration: 3M Skills: UNIX 3-5 YEARS exp AIX Applied Engineering Requirements determination Scope: Taking requirements from AIX servers, developing Build documentation and creating work orders. Please send your current resume in confidence to <sta...

US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45333757610)
US-MI-Auburn Hill: AIX Eng., 3-5yrs exp., UNIX, AIX, Applied Engineering; 3M (45333757610) ========================================================================================== Position: AIX Eng. Reference: SMC01843 Location: Auburn Hill MI Duration: 3M Skills: UNIX 3-5 YEARS exp AIX Applied Engineering Requirements determination Scope: Taking requirements from AIX servers, developing Build documentation and creating work orders. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45333757610. ...

Web resources about - access AIX with putty - comp.unix.aix

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Belgian nuclear guard shot and security access badge stolen, according to media reports
Two days after bomb attacks at Brussels airport and on a packed metro killed 31 people and injured hundreds, a security guard who worked at a ...

Knee jerk reaction: Halifax man frustrated about attacks over accessible parking access
A note left on Dan Trivett's windshield Tuesday night was "the final straw" for man suffering invisible illness

You can now add a shortcut to your homescreen to quickly access weather info in the Google app
Google is rolling out a new feature that allows users to more easily access one of the most commonly searched terms. With this rollout, if a ...

Google Is Bringing Free Internet Access To Cuba
In case you haven’t been following the news recently, U.S. president Barack Obama just made a historical visit to the isolated island country, ...

How to access Windows 10's secret Apps View
... this view is that it is not referenced in menus or tools bars you need to know the right command to instigate it. There are two ways to access ...

DOJ says it may have a way to access locked iPhone; hearing postponed
... iPhone to postpone a hearing which was scheduled to take place tomorrow. The reason? The DOJ believe it may have discovered a way to access ...

How to access the addictive hidden Facebook game that's driving the internet insane
... has introduced a hidden basketball game in the Facebook Messenger app wherein you can compete against your friends. This is how you access the ...

​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access
​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access