Equivalent command in AIX to "top" command in Linux?

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Hi all,

I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
command in Linux.

"top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time.
It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the
system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating
processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage
and runtime."

Thanks,

James

0
Reply jzheng22 (18) 6/14/2006 1:26:23 PM

See related articles to this posting


James wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> command in Linux.
> 
> "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time.
> It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the
> system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating
> processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage
> and runtime."
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> James
> 

topas from bos.perf.tools.

Patrick
0
Reply Patrick.Begou (161) 6/14/2006 1:49:36 PM

Hi James,

James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> command in Linux.

I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.

Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.

Cheers,
Menno

0
Reply flexor1 (485) 6/14/2006 2:47:22 PM

Menno Willemse wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> > command in Linux.
>
> I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
> really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
> Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
> for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.
>
> Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
> installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.
> 
> Cheers,
> Menno

Thanks a lot Patrick and Menno.

James

0
Reply jzheng22 (18) 6/14/2006 6:04:52 PM

I totally agree with Patrick, but agree with Menno more! Nmon is a
great tool, especially the ability to create nice graphs to show
management :-)

However, please note that if you try to log a call with IBM based on
it's output they'll tell you it's not supported!

James wrote:
> Menno Willemse wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > James wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> > > command in Linux.
> >
> > I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
> > really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
> > Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
> > for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.
> >
> > Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
> > installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Menno
> 
> Thanks a lot Patrick and Menno.
> 
> James

0
Reply unixsystems (31) 6/14/2006 9:57:07 PM
comp.unix.aix 10890 articles. 6 followers. Post

4 Replies
511 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 21


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Equivalent command in AIX to "top" command in Linux?
Hi all, I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top" command in Linux. "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time. It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage and runtime." Thanks, James James wrote: > Hi all, > > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top" > command in Linux. > > "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity...

LINUX Top command
Can somebody explain the load average values when issuing the top command? When would you be concerned about what is being displayed there? thanks $ man top The load averages are the average number of process ready to run during the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes. This line is just like the output of uptime(1). Alex "pylon" <pylon@pail.net> wrote in message news:kfp0315erptbneelv817r81h161bsmfkpo@4ax.com... > Can somebody explain the load average values when issuing the top > command? > > When would you be concerned about what is being display...

Pause the Running Command ----- other Commands ----- Resume the previous stoped Command
Hi Everyone, I have a doubt, Can I "pause" the Running Command after 'x' seconds ,Run the other Commands and Resume the Previous(pause) command. Is it possible, if it is possible, give me an example . Thanks in Advance Cheers. On Jun 12, 6:01=A0am, bsrin <venki.ba...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I have a doubt, Can I "pause" the Running Com= mand after > 'x' seconds ,Run the other Commands and =A0Resume the Previous(pause) > command. > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Is it p...

Does AIX 5 have "top" command ?
Hi Reader Does AIX 5 have "top" command ? If not , how to simulation top in AIX 5 ? Moonhk moonhk <moon_ils-se@yahoo.com.hk> writes: > Hi Reader > Does AIX 5 have "top" command ? If not , how to simulation top in AIX > 5 ? Google tells me http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/part1/section-44.html "TOP functionality is included in an AIX package called Monitor. See question 1.120 for more information." which is: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/part1/section-29.html The command you are looking for is 'topas', similar to top, but also ad...

In ksh, what is the equivalent of the 'top' command?
I am using ksh, and like to see the processor activities but there is no 'top' in ksh. Is there any commands in ksh that can perform similar functions? Thanks! On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:00:37 -0500, <xxu8810152@gmail.com> wrote: > I am using ksh, and like to see the processor activities but there is > no 'top' in ksh. Is there any commands in ksh that can perform similar > functions? The top program is not a shell command. It's part of the procps package, so it should work regardless of which shell you are using, as long as it is installed. I prefer htop, ...

top command
hello there, on SUN solaris8 , there are many users using the system from command line,from last 3/4 months I have found that certain users are using the "top" command extensively and mostly leave the "top" Command running even for nights ( leaving the terminals open ), I had removed the persmissions from /usr/bin/top to all users except my own group using setfacl and also chown/chmod, but now I have found that certain users have copied the /usr/local/top binary with different names under their home directories, obviously its too difficult to search for every binary ...

top command
Hi I am calculating the performance of my application. For that Iwant to see the cpu usage by my process by running top -p pid the machine shows the memory usage but is unable to show the cpu usage used by this process. Please tell me how can I find out the CPU usage by a particular process for other processes it is showing the CPU usage. On 5=D4=C26=C8=D5, =CF=C2=CE=E711=CA=B116=B7=D6, ujjwal <singhujj...@gmail.= com> wrote: > Hi > I am calculating the performance of my application. For that Iwant to > see the cpu usage by my process by running top -p pid the machine &g...

top command
Hi Everybody . Does the top command return the number Kbytes or Kbits. Thanks On Apr 15, 11:34 am, "omidsol...@googlemail.com" <omidsol...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi Everybody . > > Does the top command return the number Kbytes or Kbits. > > Thanks I meant the memory, is the unit Kbytes or Kbits Am 15.04.2011 16:10, schrieb omidsoltan@googlemail.com: > On Apr 15, 11:34 am, "omidsol...@googlemail.com" > <omidsol...@googlemail.com> wrote: >> Hi Everybody . >> >> Does the top command return the number Kbytes or Kbits...

top command?
I have to use an Ingres SQL (2006) every so often. What is the Ingres equivalent for "TOP", e.g., "Select top pat_no FROM ..." Thanks! John John, I don't know "top" but I suspect you need "select first NNN pat_no from..." John -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com [mailto:info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com] On Behalf Of ascus.lsil Sent: Tuesday, 10 June 2008 9:58 AM To: info-ingres@kettleriverconsulting.com Subject: [Info-Ingres] top command? I have to use an Ingres SQL ...

top command
Hello I have a question about the top command in FreeBSD 5.3. When the top command iss running you see the current processes in the system .. But i don�t see the cpu usage ,i can change the sort order with o,but nothing change them only the state column switch to run ond select and other but the WCPU or CPU column is only 0.00% cpu usage .Why. Can anyone help me ? Thanks Peter Voss wrote: > Hello > I have a question about the top command in FreeBSD 5.3. > When the top command iss running you see the current processes in the system > . > But i don�t se...

Top Commands
I have been running a number of perl-based cgi scripts on a RedHat 9 server and monitoring them via top, which reports each cgi script's filename in the Commands column. However, I just moved to a FreeBSD 4.10 Release server and instead of listing each cgi script's filename in the Commands column, top lists each running process as "perl", which makes it impossible to see which cgi script is running. Is there a command or argument I can use when I run top that'll cause it to output the cgi script filename instead of "perl" in the Commands column? I didn...

TOP command
Hi, Can anyone enlighten me as to what the TOP command is? I suddenly can't download my email, even though I have a lot of mail waiting. I keep getting the following error message: "There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: TOP 15 20 and then the POP server (......@****.***) said: ERR No more than 0 lines can be retrieved with TOP command" I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy of Eudora to no avail. The problem persists. This is only happening on my desktop computer. My laptop seems to continue to download the email OK (thank good...

Top (topas) command
I'm trying to run TOP under my user in /home. When I try to run it, I get this error... /home/oradba $ top kmem: Permission denied topas topas: Unable to initialize Spmi interface Spmi: Error 13 opening /dev/mem Has anyone seen this type of error and what causes it?? I looked at memory and I have 4gb of memory so what else can I look into.. Thanks Thanks It appears that when I changed the permissions that I still received the error. I know that I was able to run the top (topas) session before. I have 2 servers that are HACMP configured. on our standby server, I'm able to run to...

Solaris. #top command
Hi Folks, I need to get the memory usage for some processes under Solaris. The problem is I am getting the only up to 10 processes in the list. Don't you know how to expand the amount of processes to be depicted? Thank you very much in advance, Eugene Hello Yougin, Top is not the best tool for the job, it is used for watching processes in the system. I would argue that the ps(1) command would do a much better job. To illustrate by example; > $ ps -o pid,rss,vsz,comm > PID RSS VSZ COMMAND > 29390 1192 1396 -ksh > 29413 1104 1216 ps The previous ps command shows the...

Solaris and top command
Hi all, Question Example: Server with 20 CPU, and a process (export of ORACLE DB) with top i can see 5% max CPU (only a CPU in list es 510/CPU) Is it the 100% / NumberCPU ?? Mistake about this 5%.....some developer thinks limit about process, but with mpstat i can see the "real" enviroment with many CPU 0% and ONE at 100%.. It's right? There is a way for real % CPU with TOP for the processes? Davis. "DaviS" <davis@spamsux.com> wrote in message news:57quc.370241$rM4.15368676@news4.tin.it... > Hi all, > > Question > > Example: > &g...

top command : wait
Looking for an explanation on a field in using the top command. What does the WAIT % tell you? Much appreciated. On 26 Mar, 13:24, Bryan <bryan.engebret...@sage.com> wrote: > Looking for an explanation on a field in using the top command. What > does the WAIT % tell you? > > Much appreciated. top is not a native AIX command - the only one I can find for AIX is an old one compiled for AIX 4.3.3 from http://www.bullfreeware.com which doesn't run on my system. The usual AIX commands to monitor performance are "topas" delivered by AIX or "nmon", avail...

POP3 TOP command
The RFC which describes POP3 seems to be a bit uninformative when it comes to the TOP command. I realize the point of TOP is so that the client only needs to download a few lines from the server, rather than an entire email message. But what constitutes a line? The RFC seems to imply that all email messages are neatly delineated by CRLF pairs. But an email message can go on for paragraphs sometimes without a CRLF. So what is a "line" then? Can TOP be implemented by simply picking an arbitrary number of characters, and counting that as a line? Or do POP3 servers always parse ema...

TOP command error
Hi, Can anyone figure out the following error which disables all the downloading?! My POP server has a full mailbox and when I try to download it returns an error as follows: " <Dominant>, 553 messages left to download, TOP 1 20 [01:41:42 PM] There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: TOP 1 20 and then the POP server said: ERR No more than 0 lines can be retrieved with TOP command." I'ver tried numerous times and ever resorted to removing and reinstalling Eudora (I'm using the latest version in supported mode). Any ideas. ...

POP3 TOP command
The RFC which describes POP3 seems to be a bit uninformative when it comes to the TOP command. I realize the point of TOP is so that the client only needs to download a few lines from the server, rather than an entire email message. But what constitutes a line? The RFC seems to imply that all email messages are neatly delineated by CRLF pairs. But an email message can go on for paragraphs sometimes without a CRLF. So what is a "line" then? Can TOP be implemented by simply picking an arbitrary number of characters, and counting that as a line? Or do POP3 servers always p...

top command ; wait defined
Running the top command on an old SCO 7.1 box. The wait is ~85.0%. Can someone explain to me what the wait field represents? Much appreciated. Bryan <bryan.engebretsen@sage.com> writes: > Running the top command on an old SCO 7.1 box. The wait is ~85.0%. > Can someone explain to me what the wait field represents? I gues "wait" is "I/O wait", waiting for devices, usually disks... > > Much appreciated. ...

[OSX] Command window on top
Running Matlab 7.4 on OSX (10.5.4) and when I'm working for about an hour, the command window stays on top of all other windows. Can't seem to get rid of that! Anybody knows how to remove this 'feature'? -Lennart "Lennart van Luijk" <MyFirstNameHere.van.luijk@gmail.com> wrote in message <g8gmm3$85s$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Running Matlab 7.4 on OSX (10.5.4) and when I'm working for > about an hour, the command window stays on top of all other > windows. Can't seem to get rid of that! Anybody knows how to > remove this 'feature&#...

capturing output of top command in solaris??
I want to capture the output of TOP command in a file over a period time on solaris with some delay. I want to avoid re-launching the TOP and redirecting the same,in a while loop as i don't get IDLE cpu in that. i tried following: while true do top >> t.log sleep 10 done; linux_bp wrote: > I want to capture the output of TOP command in a file over a period > time on solaris with some delay. I want to avoid re-launching the TOP > and redirecting the same,in a while loop as i don't get IDLE cpu in > that. > > i tried following: > > while true > do &...

top command (vxworks 6.x)
Hello, i'm using vxworks-6.x, i'm looking for something like top command, any one have an idea ? Thank you in advance. gpg On Jan 20, 7:12=A0pm, gpg <gpgn...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > i'm using vxworks-6.x, i'm looking for something like top command, any > one have an idea ? > > Thank you in advance. > gpg Try "spy" . ...

Top-level command invokations not compiled
Hi, There are many places where the following note is mentioned: "Top-level invokations of commands are not byte-compiled, so be aware to put most of them into procedure(s), so they run faster." -...or something like that. Well, why aren't they compiled? What is the reason to aviod compiling them? -- Pozdrawiam! (Regards!) Googie On Aug 27, 2:08 pm, Googie <n...@spam.0rg> wrote: > Hi, > > There are many places where the following note is mentioned: > > "Top-level invokations of commands are not byte-compiled, so be aware to put > most of them in...

alternative of css top command in mozilla
hye i am making a css . in this top command is used.and if i am checking it in internet exlporer then its working properly. but if this is being checked in mozilla browser this not working properly.here in mozilla top command is not working. if i am removing top command then its not proper in internet explorer. can anyone tell me what i can do..is there any alternate of top command which i can use. which is working fine in ie and mozilla...... plz help me out on this..... manish wrote: > hye > i am making a css . Which has nothing to do with Java. Try an HTML or Mozilla newsgr...