Equivalent command in AIX to "top" command in Linux?

Hi all,

I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
command in Linux.

"top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time.
It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the
system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating
processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage
and runtime."

Thanks,

James

0
jzheng22 (18)
6/14/2006 1:26:23 PM
comp.unix.aix 10962 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> command in Linux.
>
> "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time.
> It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the
> system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating
> processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage
> and runtime."
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

topas from bos.perf.tools.

Patrick
Hi James,

James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> command in Linux.

I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.

Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.

Cheers,
Menno

0
flexor1 (485)
6/14/2006 2:47:22 PM
Menno Willemse wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> > command in Linux.
>
> I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
> really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
> Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
> for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.
>
> Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
> installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.
>
> Cheers,
> Menno

Thanks a lot Patrick and Menno.

James

0
jzheng22 (18)
6/14/2006 6:04:52 PM
I totally agree with Patrick, but agree with Menno more! Nmon is a
great tool, especially the ability to create nice graphs to show
management :-)

However, please note that if you try to log a call with IBM based on
it's output they'll tell you it's not supported!

James wrote:
> Menno Willemse wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > James wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top"
> > > command in Linux.
> >
> > I think there is a "top" in the Linux Toolbox for AIX, but what you
> > really want is "nmon", written by Mr. Nigel Griffiths of IBM. A little
> > Googlemancy should get you a download link. Used by IBMers worldwide
> > for performance investigations. Does everything that top does and more.
> >
> > Or (as the man said) use topas, which is already included on the AIX
> > installation media. bos.perf.tools if memory serves.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Menno
>
> Thanks a lot Patrick and Menno.
>
> James

"rftp" & "uucp" command equivalence on Linux RH 8 or later
Exist a "rftp" & "uucp" Unix commands equivalence on Linux RH 8 or later?? Thank you ...

Access windows applications from AIX SAS "X" Command and "Call Module"
Hi, I have SAS 9.2 installed (Pretty much all licenses) on AIX server and EG 4.= 2 on my PC. I am working on series of SAS programs which needs to be execut= ed step by step; kinda uses output from one program as input for next progr= am. So at one of the step, the program calls in 'X' Command as followed %IF &N. =3D 8 %THEN %DO; DATA _NULL_; X 'C:\AHRQQI\AHRQPrediction\AHRQ.exe C:\AHRQQI\IQI\Prediction_PIQ08.xml'; RUN; %END; with this step there will be an output generated on PC; after this step the= re is other SAS program uses this output to ...

Is "Strategic Command" = "Strategic Command European Theatre"?
I've seen some discussion here of a game usually referenced as "Strategic Command" and decided to give it a try. Searching for it, I found a game at battlefront.com called Strategic Command European Theatre - is that the same game? I guess I had the impression that the game covered the whole globe, not just Europe/Med area. If this is the same game, I have another question: from the screenshots, it appears that you only have one unit in each hex, is that correct? No stacking at all? I will probably have more questions before I decide to plunk down my $$$, but I first...

Question about command "netstat" for AIX
When I try: # netstat -I en0 1 It will not be stopped until I press ctrl-C to stop it. How can I set the no. of counts for command "netstat" ? Let say it will have 5 counts after interval set to 1 sec. - DT DT wrote: > When I try: > > # netstat -I en0 1 > > It will not be stopped until I press ctrl-C to stop it. > > How can I set the no. of counts for command "netstat" ? > Let say it will have 5 counts after interval set to 1 sec. > > - DT > > > i=5; while [ $i != 0 ]; do netstat -I en0; sleep 1; let "i = i - 1&quo...

expect
Hi, I'm writing some scripts with Expect and I noticed a synchronization problem when using "puts" command. e.g.: code: ************************* send "bla bla\r" expect "so so" send "blabla\r" expect "soso\r" puts "OK, I'm done" ************************ Then I launch the script "expect myscript.exp" and I get: ****************** OK, I'm done bla bla so so blabla soso ****************** So the line specified with "puts" appears before the other lines (bla bla, so so...) although it should appear only at the end of the script... No matter if I put some "sleep" commands between the send/ expect commands or right before the "puts"... the output of "puts" always comes before the others! Funnily, this issue happens only at the end of a script. Similar series of commands do not give the same problems at the beginning of the same script... Does anyone know why? How can I work this out? Thanks a lot, Andrea At 2008-05-15 10:55AM, "Andrea" wrote: > Hi, > I'm writing some scripts with Expect and I noticed a synchronization > problem when using "puts" command. > > e.g.: > code: > ************************* > send "bla bla\r" > expect "so so" > send "blabla\r" > expect "soso\r" > puts "OK, I'm done" > ************************ > The...

"as" command on AIX 4.3.3
Hi forum, I've just installa AIX 4.3.3 in a vintage 7248-100 box, I install last ptfs without problem. I install some gnu command without error. Now I would like to compile PostgreSQL 8.2.5... but when I use ./ compile the script end because it can't be able to fine "as" command. Assembler ? In other unix box (Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris) I find as command. Where is "as" command ? Regards. Ganimede Dignan. Ganimede wrote: > Hi forum, > > I've just installa AIX 4.3.3 in a vintage 7248-100 box, I install last > ptfs without problem. I install some gnu command without error. > > Now I would like to compile PostgreSQL 8.2.5... but when I use ./ > compile the script end because it can't be able to fine "as" command. > Assembler ? In other unix box (Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris) I > find as command. > > Where is "as" command ? > > Regards. > Ganimede Dignan. > It is in the bos.adt.base fileset on the AIX install CDs. You will probably want most of the bos.adt.* filesets to get the include files and the bos.adt.libm fileset to get a library that most packages need to build from source. Paul Landay Hi, > It is in the bos.adt.base fileset on the AIX install CDs. > You will probably want most of the bos.adt.* filesets to > get the include files and the bos.adt.libm fileset to get > a library that most packages need to build from source. Thank yo...

DOS Equivalent of UNIX "Grep" command?
Wondering if anyone knows of a DOS equivalent of a UNIX "grep"? in article vn9kcip59vaa8f@corp.supernews.com, Tom Wright at twright@coakleytech.com wrote on 9/26/03 4:52 PM: > Wondering if anyone knows of a DOS equivalent of a UNIX "grep"? Umm...like grep? ;) There are DOS ports of grep around. Take a look around the simtel.net archive. ....Jono In article <vn9kcip59vaa8f@corp.supernews.com>, Tom Wright (twright@coakleytech.com) wrote: > Wondering if anyone knows of a DOS equivalent of a UNIX "grep"? Many of the GNU versions of common unix tools (grep, sed, awk, sort, etc.) have been ported to DOS and are available free. It looks like <http://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/MSDOS_toc.html> is as good a place to start as any. If you want to go all out and get a full-blown unix-like environment that runs on Windows PCs, check out <http://www.cygwin.com/>. -- Tom Wright wrote: > Wondering if anyone knows of a DOS equivalent of a UNIX "grep"? Window's Explorer's "search" command does a good job of finding files with specific contents. If you really want DOS command line and full-blown grep, I agree with Jono that Cygwin does an excellent job. Another feature you'll like is that cygwin is available free of charge at: http://www.cygwin.com/ -- Mike Russell http://www.curvemeister.com http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr http://geigy.2y.net "Tom Wright" <twright@coakleyt...

AIX 4.3 bug with "who" command
Hi, Some deconnected pts sessions stays in utmp file, so "who" command show them. How remove them ? Where could i found an AIX PATCH ? Regards Philippe pcouas wrote: > Some deconnected pts sessions stays in utmp file, so "who" command show > them. > How remove them ? > Where could i found an AIX PATCH ? > > Regards > Philippe Bonjour Phillipe, The problem you are reporting is something that happens quite often in AIX 3.2.5 and to some extent in AIX 4.3 as well. The user logs out and the who command still shows them logged on. In some cases, I had another user log in to the same pts and got to the $ prompt, then typed "exit" to log out and this fixed it. The AIX FAQ Article 1.103 mentions this problem and how you can fix it when it happens. You can find the FAQ here: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/aix-faq/part1 There was also a C program developed by John Haugh from Cactus Software that could fix the corruption in the /etc/utmp file. You can run this in cron or just run it as needed. Ce problem est prevalent dans le version AIX 3.2.5 et un peu dans AIX 4.3 aussi. Si vous pourriez brancher au meme pts avec un autre login, des fois ca vous rende au shell et vous avez seulment a entrer la commande "exit" plus Retour. Vous pouvez egalement essayer le program si-dessous pour corriger le corruption du fichier /etc/utmp. Steve (* START OF PROGRAM *) #include <sys/types.h> #include <utmp....

Pure Python equivalent of unix "file" command?
Hi all, Just a quick one... Is there such a thing? Thanks, /Walter -- On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 03:29:35PM -0400, W3 wrote: > Just a quick one... Is there such a thing? Debian et al ship Python bindings[0] for file(1)[1]. file works by using a file (/etc/magic) with 'magic' numbers in it to figure out the type of a file. Googling 'python magic' will turn up a few interesting threads. [0] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python-magic [1] http://www.darwinsys.com/file/ -- [Will Maier]-----------------[willmaier@ml1.net|http://www.lfod.us/] Take a look at htt...

How to deal with "{" in system("...command..."); ?
Hi, all: In order to replace }PERM= into PERM= in a file, I ran a command: sed "s/}PERM=/PERM=/" record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment It works. I need to run it in a Perl script. So I wrote the following command in the Perl script: system ("sed "s/}PERM=/PERM=/" record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment"); But the script cannot run. When I tried to run it, it gives following error message: String found where operator expected at drccomp_Her_debug.pl line 41, near "/PERM=/" record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment"" (Missing operator before " record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment"?) I changed the double quotation mark around s/}PERM=/PERM=/ into single quotation mark like: system ("sed 's/}PERM=/PERM=/' record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment"); The system still shows error message like: String found where operator expected at drccomp_Her_debug.pl line 41, at end of line (Missing semicolon on previous line?) But in fact, I am not missing semicolon on previous line. I also tried several ways using \ or using ` `, but still failed. What's wrong with this command? What's the correct way to do it? Thanks. Kuhl wrote: > Hi, all: > > In order to replace }PERM= into PERM= in a file, I ran a command: > sed "s/}PERM=/PERM=/" record_with_comment_tmp > record_with_comment > > It works. > >...

Eliminate the need for "{}" or "\ " after commands?
Hello. Usually, a TeX command in text mode will eat a trailing space, so if you want a space after the command in the final document, you have to put a "{}" or "\ " after the command. For example, "\TeX book" will produce "TeXbook", whereas "\TeX{} book" or "\TeX\ book" will produce "TeX book". It seems there is a way around this. By chance I was looking at the source code for the documentation for the package "etoolbox". I notice that it has some command names followed simply by spaces - and the spaces show up in the TeX'ed output. This appears to be a result of the "ltxdockit" document class. Here is a minimal working example: \documentclass{ltxdockit} \begin{document} \tex book, \tex{}book, \tex-book \end{document} This produces the output: TeX book, TeXbook, TeX-book I have taken a look at the source code for the "ltxdockit" document class, but it is much too wicked code for me to figure out. Can anyone tell me what is going on? If there is a way to eliminate the need for "{}" or "\ " after commands, then I would love to know it. Thanks in advance. Claus Appel On May 9, 12:56=A0am, "Spectrum (Claus Appel)" <spectru...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. > > Usually, a TeX command in text mode will eat a trailing space, so if > you want a space after the command in the final document, you have to > put a "{}"...

command line equivalent for GUI accessed "page setup", "render color" etc...
R 14 SP3 I am looking for documentation on how to set certain figure properties from the command line. I am currently using the GUI interface to set a bunch of parameters and would like to automate into my code. I tried setting everything up how I want and then Generate M file. This does not apply GUI applied properties to the code. Specific properties I am trying to acces include 1) file -> page setup -> lines and text -> color(don't convert) 2) file -> page setup -> Axes and Figure -> Keep Screen Background Color 3) file -> export setup -> Rendering -> uncheck Custom Color and leave blank 4) file -> export setup -> resolution (dpi) -> 300 5) file -> export setup -> Export -> as filename.jpg Can someone help out, or point me in the right direction? Thanks! See "Changing a Figure's Settings" in the Printing and Exporting section of the MATLAB documentation (you can also use the search feature of the documentation to find this topic) -- Richard Quist Software Developer The MathWorks, Inc. <frank.urban@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139425527.523294.307670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >R 14 SP3 > > I am looking for documentation on how to set certain figure properties > from the command line. I am currently using the GUI interface to set a > bunch of parameters and would like to automate into my code. I tried > setting everything up how I want and then G...

AIX / HP-UX "ps" command results from many machines
There are a bunch of *NIX hosts that run processes that I'm interested in. The idea of telnetting to each box, and doing "ps -ef | grep something" over and over doesn't appeal to me. What I'm looking for is a Java (app, applet, servlet - any of them would do) that shows me active processes across multiple *nix hosts. Is there something out there that someone's already written that does this? I've done a bit of googling, but most of what I found has you installing things on the *NIX machine, which I really would like to avoid. I did find a few Runtime exec th...

Running AIX 5.3, the "find" command is not working as expected.
Running AIX 5.3, the "find" command is not working as expected. Here's an example where I get results from a subdirectory, but not from root. Anybody know why? Thanx in advance. abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/ null ../client/runInstaller ../clusterware/runInstaller ../companion/runInstaller ../database/runInstaller ../gateways/runInstaller abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>cd / abcaixxx:/>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/null abcaixxx:/> ...

Python Paramiko between Linux and Windows Server -- no output obtained from Windows for "dir" or "cd" commands
Hello There: I am using Python 2.7.6 and Paramiko module (on a Linux server) to connect = to a Windows server and send some commands and get output. I have a connect= function which takes IP, username and password of the remote Windows serve= r and I get an sshobj when that happens. How do I use it to send remote cal= ls is my question? If it were a local system, I would just say "os.system" but not sure about = the remote calls. Can someone help? My code looks like below: sys.path.append("/home/me/code") import libs.ssh_connect as ssh ssh_obj =3D ssh.new_conn(IP, username, password) stdin, stdout, stderr =3D ssh_obj.exec_command("dir") #since the remote = system I am SSHing into is Windows. my "new_conn" looks like this: import paramiko def new_conn(IP, username, password): ssh_obj =3D paramiko.SSHClient() ssh_conn.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.AutoAddPolicy()) ssh_conn.connect(IP, username, password), timeout=3D30) return ssh_obj =09 if I replaced "dir" with "ipconfig" it works fine. I wonder how I can make = "dir" work - or for that matter.. with "cd /path/to/dir"? I know for paramiko's ssh connection to work, i need cygwin installed on a = Windows. Objective is to run commands remotely from a Linux to a Windows se= rver and then process the output again on Linux server or on Windows itself= .. I am confused becaus...

Running AIX 5.3, the "find" command is not working as expected. #2
Running AIX 5.3, the "find" command is not working as expected. Here's an example where I get results from a subdirectory, but not from root. Anybody know why? Thanx in advance. abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/ null ../client/runInstaller ../clusterware/runInstaller ../companion/runInstaller ../database/runInstaller ../gateways/runInstaller abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>cd / abcaixxx:/>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/null abcaixxx:/> On May 21, 4:15 pm, Beldar <vrin...@gmail.com> wrote: .... > Anybody know why? One of your directories (stage or abcDB10g) is a symbolic link? find doesn't follow symlinks by default. Marc On May 21, 5:15 pm, Beldar <vrin...@gmail.com> wrote: > Running AIX 5.3, the "find" command is not working as expected. > > Here's an example where I get results from a subdirectory, but not > from root. > > Anybody know why? > > Thanx in advance. > > abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/ > null > ./client/runInstaller > ./clusterware/runInstaller > ./companion/runInstaller > ./database/runInstaller > ./gateways/runInstaller > abcaixxx:/stage/abcDB10g>cd / > abcaixxx:/>find . -name runInstaller 2>/dev/null > abcaixxx:/> If /stage is part of / meaning it has not ist own filesystem - they try the -xdev option for find and/or capure the error out put of find to a file and ...

Problem with "find" and "grep" command
I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep: ;: No such file or directory find: missing argument to `-exec' What's wrong? Peter On 2011-09-30, Peter Hanke <peter_ha@andres.net> wrote: > I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' >...

"Exist" and "Eval" commands together...
Hi all. I have some matrices named kij_ab (k11_12, k32_22, etc). I want to check if some matrices are present or not. For example, i don't have a matrice named k14_11. And in a loop, k14_11 is needed for the equation but i want this k14_11 to be assumed as zero. 1-) Is there any command to assume the variables which are not present as zero? (But i have to use the eval command with it because i don't have specific variables. The variables are formed in the loops with respect to other variables.) 2-) I thought that i could do this by exist and eval commands. % a = exist('item&#...

the difference between the command "int" and "squad"
what is the difference between the command "int" and "squad" ? One gets an string and the other gets a function. but both calculate the integral of a function. What is the advantage of one over the other? With respect, Zeinab Ghofrani Zeinab Ghofrani wrote: > > > what is the difference between the command "int" and "squad" ? I don't have squad. If you meand "quad" then INT does an analytic integration, QUAD does a numerical integration. > What is the advantage of one over the > other? Analytic provides a formula for an answer, quad provides an anwer for a particular case ...

why "expect" skip the "send" command?
Hi I write my expect in a bash shell script. I just want the expect could send different commands after receiving different messages. I don't know why this script don't work. #!/bin/sh expect -c 'send "Is it ok?'\r" expect { "OK" {send "Thanks\r";system date;send "Thanks again \r"} "NO" {send "Are you sure?\r";system ls;send "Can you check it again?\r"} }' If the program return "OK",the expect could do system command "date" ,but I found it never do the send command "Thanks" and "Thanks again". And if the program return "NO",the expect could do system command "ls",but skip the send command "Are you sure?" and "Can you check it again?" too!!! I don't know why the expect just skip the "send" command with no error but do the system command "ls" and "date" smoothly. Could you give any suggestions? Thank you very much and sorry for my poor english. 吉吉 wrote: > Hi > I write my expect in a bash shell script. I would write my expect scripts into a file, YMMV > I just want the expect could send different commands after receiving > different messages. > > I don't know why this script don't work. To make this gastly thing work a tiny bit get rid o the |'| inside the initial sen...

"image put", "image data" and the TclMagick commands "$wand readblob", "$wand writeblob"
Hello, recently I was suprised of some facts, that made code I wrote easier and more complicate, too! I used TclMagick to process some JPEG files and thought about connecting this with Tk. So reading and processing a JPEG file and using it inside a label is really unproblematic: package require Tk; package require Img; package require TclMagick; set image [image create photo]; set wand [magick create wand]; $wand read $jpegfile; $wand enhance; $wand resample 96 96 mitchell; $wand enhance; $image put [$wand writeblob]; label .l -image $image; pack .l -side top -fill none -expand 0; I was suprised, that the "$image put" command accepted the binary data, but it worked. Than I wanted to push some Tk image data to the TclMagick wand: $wand readblob [$image data]; And this failed, because naturally "readblob" wanted binary data. So I thought to try the -format option: $wand readblob [$image data -format jpeg]; No - this failed too! Just because there was still no binary data, but base64 encoded data. So I needed the base64 package, too: package require base64; $wand readblob [base64::decode [$image data -format jpeg]]; Now it worked. Why does "$image put" accept simply binary data, while "$image data" never creates binary data if a format, like JPEG, is specified? I know - this behaviour is wellknown! And I used it long ago to build a pure tcl image gall...

MACRO equivalent of "in" command
Is there a macro equivalent of something like this data step command: IF X IN ("A","G","H") THEN DO; Thanks! -- Paige Miller paige.miller@kodak.com On 02/08/2007 09:04 PM, Paige Miller wrote: > Is there a macro equivalent of something like this data step command: > > IF X IN ("A","G","H") THEN DO; > > > Thanks! > > -- > Paige Miller > paige.miller@kodak.com > If you can be sure that X contains nothing which might be interpreted as a macro expression keyword, eg OR, you could use: %if &am...

"?" help-command in linux
Hello Does anyone know how to control what happens when you use the "?" command in idl on a linux machine. ...As in... IDL> ? OPLOT the default for idl 6.1 is to open up adobe acrobat, which, of course, sucks for reading the online help. I have the html help installed (for idlwave), and also xchm (http://xchm.sf.net). I would ideally like xchm to open with the correct entry whenever I use the ? command. thanks, sean On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:53:49 -0600, Sean Davis wrote: > Hello > > Does anyone know how to control what happens when you use the "?" command...

Unix "system " command
Hello , i want to use system commnad in my code to delete files in specified manner. but this way i am not able to delete files. Can somebody answer . i tried with this as following , but not working :( string omcid; string netype ; string nename ; //some stuff to get values inside these string variables cout<<"omcid"<<omcid<<endl; // here i printed the value it iscoming correct cout<<"netype"<<netype<<endl;// here also cout<<"nename"<<nename<<endl; // ...

Web resources about - Equivalent command in AIX to "top" command in Linux? - comp.unix.aix