gcc 4.1.1 on AIX 5.2

How long does it take to compiler gcc 4.1.1 on a decent AIX 5.2 ?
Compiling GCC 4.1.1 has been taking days ( more than 72 hours) on my
machine and its still compiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiling.
My machine is relatively less loaded and the only process running  is
compiling GCC.
I'm having to compile GCC 4.1.1 because to be able to use libstdc++,
one needs to compile gcc with some assembler patches on the machine (as
per http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix)
My machine shows oslevel -r as 5200-04, which according to
http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/ already has all the required
fixes.

Any hints on what is wrong with my machine??

Thanks in advance!

Ravindra.

comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1166104996.447605.120150@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>, "Ravindra"
<ravindra.rajaram@gmail.com> writes:
> How long does it take to compiler gcc 4.1.1 on a decent AIX 5.2 ?

I think you can download it precompiled from

http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/packages/gcc.html

0
M.Kraemer (2048)
12/14/2006 2:24:29 PM
Ravindra wrote:
> How long does it take to compiler gcc 4.1.1 on a decent AIX 5.2 ?
> Compiling GCC 4.1.1 has been taking days ( more than 72 hours) on my
> machine and its still compiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiling.
> My machine is relatively less loaded and the only process running  is
> compiling GCC.
> I'm having to compile GCC 4.1.1 because to be able to use libstdc++,
> one needs to compile gcc with some assembler patches on the machine (as
> per http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix)
> My machine shows oslevel -r as 5200-04, which according to
> http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/ already has all the required
> fixes.
>
> Any hints on what is wrong with my machine??

You need to provide more information! Is it already "make"ing, or
still on configure? What machine are you trying this on? On a single
CPU 7043-260 it took about 10-11 hours for the full bootstrap of gcc.

Also check /tmp for a gazillion of files and set:
  CONFIG_SHELL
to wherever you installed a bash.

If you have enough memory, it might speed up things if you create
a RAM disk, mount it and start the build process within this mount-
point. But beware not to try this on a production machine, the gcc
build need *lots* of space!

Regards,

	Frank
Frank Fegert wrote:
> Ravindra wrote:
> > How long does it take to compiler gcc 4.1.1 on a decent AIX 5.2 ?
> > Compiling GCC 4.1.1 has been taking days ( more than 72 hours) on my
> > machine and its still compiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiling.
> > My machine is relatively less loaded and the only process running  is
> > compiling GCC.
> > I'm having to compile GCC 4.1.1 because to be able to use libstdc++,
> > one needs to compile gcc with some assembler patches on the machine (as
> > per http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix)
> > My machine shows oslevel -r as 5200-04, which according to
> > http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/ already has all the required
> > fixes.
> >
> > Any hints on what is wrong with my machine??
>
> You need to provide more information! Is it already "make"ing, or
> still on configure? What machine are you trying this on? On a single
> CPU 7043-260 it took about 10-11 hours for the full bootstrap of gcc.
>
> Also check /tmp for a gazillion of files and set:
My /tmp was almost empty.........
>   CONFIG_SHELL
> to wherever you installed a bash.

Now, I think this helped. I set the environment variable and then the
make happened in about an hour or so!
Thanks.
> If you have enough memory, it might speed up things if you create
> a RAM disk, mount it and start the build process within this mount-
> point. But beware not to try this on a production machine, the gcc
> build need *lots* of space!

I have about 2 Gigs of memory!
> Regards,
>
> 	Frank
Newayz, now I got gcc compiled and working.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Ravindra.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:26:55 UTC, "Ravindra"
<ravindra.rajaram@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you have enough memory, it might speed up things if you create
> > a RAM disk, mount it and start the build process within this mount-
> > point. But beware not to try this on a production machine, the gcc
> > build need *lots* of space!
> >
> I have about 2 Gigs of memory!
> > Regards,

I've found that ./configure tends to hammer /tmp something rotten, no
doubt compiling small programlets and deleting them. I was able to
speed up configure a *lot* by creating a 64MB RAM disk for tmp.

--
 /\(O_o)/\  Menno Willemse
/ / < > \ \
Menno <flexor@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:26:55 UTC, "Ravindra"
> <ravindra.rajaram@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you have enough memory, it might speed up things if you create
> > > a RAM disk, mount it and start the build process within this mount-
> > > point. But beware not to try this on a production machine, the gcc
> > > build need *lots* of space!
> > >
> > I have about 2 Gigs of memory!
> > > Regards,

> I've found that ./configure tends to hammer /tmp something rotten, no
> doubt compiling small programlets and deleting them. I was able to
> speed up configure a *lot* by creating a 64MB RAM disk for tmp.

This is actually an issue with ksh in AIX.  Using a different shell, like
bash, speeds up configures considerably.  ksh creates a lot of temporary files.