installing oracle 8i client on aix 5.3

hi all ,

i am trying to install oracle 8i client on AIX 5.3 as root. i read that
there is a pre-installation for root , i have done that but still when
i run the ./runInstaller , it says cant install as root.

please help

thanks in advance

0
marvin.koh (18)
1/5/2006 1:15:47 PM
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

rynox wrote:
> hi all ,
>
> i am trying to install oracle 8i client on AIX 5.3 as root. i read that
> there is a pre-installation for root , i have done that but still when
> i run the ./runInstaller , it says cant install as root.
>
> please help
>
> thanks in advance
The installer runs a GUI interface, unless you are on a graphics
console, you will need some sort of X client/server from which to run
the install from.  Me I use VNC.

0
tmpolzin (58)
1/5/2006 2:11:33 PM
The rootpre.sh is run as root which installs post-wait kernel
extensions, that is the only item that should be installed by root.
You should create a user, oracle or something else, to own the
installation of Oracle.   To run the installer, you need vnc or X to
install.

HTH,
Pete's

0
empete2000 (213)

which oracle client for aix 5.3 to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5/Win database ?
Hello, i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? Thank you, Bud On Jan 11, 2:24 pm, "Bud" <tulsa...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hello, > > i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. > > which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? > > Thank you, > > Bud I don't think there is one. 8.0.5 was desupported in the previous milennium and has never been available for 5.3, which didn't exist at that time. 9i doesn't connect to anything lower than 8i. Time to upgrade the database or drag it to the recyclebin. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Can not install/compile DBI/DBD on AIX 5.3 or AIX 5.2
Im at my wits end here and need serious help as time is running out. Ive just installed a new box with AIX 5.3 and it included IBM's flavor of Perl 5.8.2 I can not install the Bull version of DBI as it expects an older version of Perl with a different layout. Note: Ive tried faking it out without success. So I'm now trying to compile the DBI source. I keep getting the follow errors with DBI and other modules: /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.h:619: error: field `_drand48_struct has incomplete type /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.h:727: ...

RE: Kerberos 5 v1.5.1 on AIX 5.2 or AIX 5.3
Believe it or not; both solutions seem to work and compilation succeeds ! #define GET_HOST_BY_NAME(NAME, HP, ERR, TMP) \ { \ (HP) = (gethostbyname_r((NAME), &TMP.ent, &TMP.data) \ ? 0 \ : &TMP.data); \ (ERR) = h_errno; \ } Worked and so did... #define GET_HOST_BY_NAME(NAME, HP, ERR, TMP) \ { \ struct hostent my_h_ent; \ (HP) = (gethostbyname_r((NAME), &TMP.ent, &TMP.data) \ ? 0 \ : &my_h_ent); \ (ERR) = h_errno; \ } Thanks for the help ! I will continue testing with my current install base on AIX. I really appreciate the rapid responses and solutions ! Lamar -----Original Message----- From: Ken Raeburn [mailto:raeburn@MIT.EDU] Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 5:13 PM To: Marcus Watts Cc: Saxon, Lamar; kerberos@mit.edu Subject: Re: Kerberos 5 v1.5.1 on AIX 5.2 or AIX 5.3 On Sep 18, 2006, at 17:56, Marcus Watts wrote: > Lamar.Saxon@americredit.com writes: > ... >> making all in util... >> making all in util/support... >> cc -I../../include -...

enscript problem on upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3
Did an upgrade yesterday from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3. We have some old code that uses the enscript command and now we are getting a banner page between each enscript command which we weren't getting under AIX 4.3.3. I can't find anything in the documentation about shutting off this banner page. Can anyone tell how, or if it's even possible, to shut off the banner page with enscript. Thx. Marv ...

Compile C on AIX 5.3 and run on AIX 4.3.3
We are running AIX 5.3 (64 bit kernal). We develop using the IBM XL C compiler version 7. For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 and run on AIX 4.3.3? Loial wrote: > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > and run on AIX 4.3.3? No. The general rule is that you compile and build on the earliest level you need to support. Is it not possible to set compiler options to generate code that will run on AIX 4.3.3? On 13 Feb, 15:11, "Gary R. Hook" <n...@nospammers.net> wrote: > Loial wrote: > > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > > and run on AIX 4.3.3? > > No. The general rule is that you compile and build on the earliest > level you need to support. On Feb 14, 8:22 am, "Loial" <a...@loial.co.uk> wrote: > Is it not possible to set compiler options to generate code that will > run on AIX 4.3.3? No, not at all ... ref: http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/os/ compatibility/ HTH Mark Taylor On Feb 13, 7:24 pm, "Loial" <a...@loial.co.uk> wrote: > We are running AIX 5.3 (64 bit kernal). We develop using the IBM XL C > compiler version 7. > > For one site we need to run on AIX 4.3.3. Can we compile on AIX 5.3 > and run on AIX 4.3.3? It is possible to compile on a later version and run it on a previous version. But you must be really really lucky - I repeat, really lucky, if you see your ...

finger command output is different between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3
AIXers, The "finger" command output appears differently between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3. finger output in AIX 4.3.3: Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info root System p2 Tue 07:57 root System p6 2 Mon 08:39 finger output in AIX 5.3 has a lot of blank lines: Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info root System *l0 1d Tue 07:28 root System p7 1 Tue 07:29 root System p28 Tue 07:56 Is there a setup or config in AIX 5.3 to make the output from "finger" appear like it does in AIX 4.3.3? Thanks, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College 1501 Morningside Ave Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717 Phone: 1-712-274-5250 Email: watkins@morningside.edu mside wrote: > AIXers, > > The "finger" command output appears differently between > AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3. > > finger output in AIX 4.3.3: > Login Name TTY Idle When Site Info > root System p2 Tue 07:57 > root System p6 2 Mon 08:39 > > finger output in AIX 5.3 has a lot of blank lines: > Login Name TTY...

Migrate from AIX 4.3.3 ML09 to AIX 5.3 TL4-CSP
Hi all, As the subject means, i would like to migrate an IBM pseries (7026-6H1) from aix 4.3.3 to aix 5.3. The Firmware is "AIX 5.3 ready" (ROM Level. (alterable).......M2P050203_condor_). I have read IBM Migration procedure : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/hw/index.jsp?topic=/iphbm/iphbm_migration_howto.htm On this machine, i have a Volume group with EMC PowerPath physical Volumes : hdiskpower7 00555f2aff72acc3 statsvg hdiskpower8 00555f2aff7d5d88 statsvg hdiskpower16 00555f2aff725a3d statsvg hdiskpower17 00555f2aff7d9893 statsvg Here is EMC fileset version which are installed : EMCpower.base 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Base Driver and EMCpower.consistency_grp 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Consistency Group EMCpower.multi_path 3.0.4.0 COMMITTED PowerPath Multi_Pathing EMCpower.multi_path_clariion I know that powerpath version is no longer supported on aix 5.3. I would like to know what is the best way to migrate correctly : do I have to do an "exportvg statvg", uninstall EMC FIleset, migrate aix version, install latest EMC fileset and finally importvg ? If i export an aix 4.3.3 VG, do i will be able to import it on aix 5.3 without problems ? Thanks in advance for your answers, Laurent On Nov 13, 3:32 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com" <laurent.ol...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > do I have to do an "exportvg statvg", uninstall EMC FIles...

AIX 4.3.3 64bit binaries <-> AIX 5.3
Dear We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even possible. Could someone shed some light on this? Thnx Miguel Miguel Sanders wrote: > Dear > > We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would > like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX > 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even > possible. Could someone shed some light on this? > > Thnx > > Miguel > You need to rebuilt (recompile and relink) AIX 4.3 64bit binaries for them to run on AIX v5 and later. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.resources/faq.htm http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xlf101a.doc/xlfcr/ldt_support.htm Paul Landay I only have the binaries Not the source :( So I'm afraid this won't be possible. On 8 aug, 12:27, Paul Landay <lan...@attglobal.net> wrote: > Miguel Sanders wrote: > > Dear > > > We have a legacy 64bit application running on AIX 4.3.3 which we would > > like to migrate to AIX 5.3. I know that the 64 bit environments of AIX > > 4.3.3 and AIX 5.3 aren't the same so I am wondering if this is even > > possible. Could someone shed some light on this? > > >...

vt100 terminfo works differently at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3
AIX'ers, I'm running AIX 5.3 on a P5-550 machine and AIX 4.3.3 on an F50. For some reason any PC software running the vt100 terminal emulation handles the BACKSPACE and DELETE keys differently at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3. At AIX 4.3.3 the backspace erases the character completely from the screen as the cursor moves backwards. At AIX 5.3 the backspace moves the cursor back but leaves the character. Note: the character is actually erases but still shows. At AIX 4.3.3 the delete key erases all characters back to the AIX prompt. At AIX 5.3 the delete key shows the character "=A7" and does not clear the characters back to the prompt. Note: The line is actually deleted/cleared even though the cursor doesn't move back to the AIX prompt. Does anyone have a good source file (i.e. dec.ti file) that works like the AIX 4.3.3 vt100-am at AIX 5.3 that I could try to use? Thanks, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College 1501 Morningside Ave Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717 =20 Phone: 1-712-274-5250 =20 Email: watkins@morningside.edu mside <watkins@morningside.edu> wrote: > For some reason any PC software running the vt100 terminal > emulation handles the BACKSPACE and DELETE keys differently > at AIX 5.3 than AIX 4.3.3. it's less likely that it's the terminfo than your stty settings have changed. -- Thomas E. Dickey http://invisible-island.net ftp://invisible-island.net ...

Oracle 8i on Aix 5.3 64 bit
I'm trying oracle 8i on aix 5.3 64 bit. but i'm getting following error. bash-2.05b# ./rootpre.sh Installing kernel extension... Oracle Kernel Extension Loader for AIX Copyright (c) 1998,1999 Oracle Corporation Kernel Extension Version: 3 nkext ver: 3 ../rootpre.sh: line 1: crash: command not found is not loaded : 1 No post-wait kernel is loaded on the machine. Copying new kernel extension. Oracle Kernel Extension Loader for AIX Copyright (c) 1998,1999 Oracle Corporation Kernel Extension Version: 3 SYS_SINGLELOAD: Exec format error kmid: 0 (0x0) path: '/etc/pw-syscall' libpath: '' Configuring Asynchronous I/O... Asynchronous I/O is already defined ../rootpre.sh: line 358: [: too many arguments chgrp: /var/ha/soc/hagsdsocket../rootpre.sh:: A file or directory in the path na me does not exist. chgrp: line: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: 1:: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: /usr/lpp/ssp/bin/spget_syspar:: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: A: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: file: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: or: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: directory: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. chgrp: in: A file or directory in the path name does not...

Oracle 8.1.7
Hello All; Our Oracle installation is being outsourced. Currently it is hosted by AIX 4.3 o/s. When it is transferred to the outsourcer, it AIX 5.2 will be the hosting o/s. The Oracle installation will remain at version 8.1.7. I've heard that AIX 5.2 uses 64-bit addressing whereas AIX 4.3 uses 32-bit addressing. Does anyone know of any potential issues/problems with such a migration? Thanks! Michael "michael brule" <michael.brule@phoenixwm.com> wrote in message news:55f7800f.0411290816.6c66d00e@posting.google.com... > Hello All; > > Our Oracle installation is being outsourced. Currently it is hosted > by AIX 4.3 o/s. When it is transferred to the outsourcer, it AIX 5.2 > will be the hosting o/s. The Oracle installation will remain at > version 8.1.7. > > I've heard that AIX 5.2 uses 64-bit addressing whereas AIX 4.3 uses > 32-bit addressing. Does anyone know of any potential issues/problems > with such a migration? > > Thanks! > > Michael Hi, Check Metalink notes 225551.1, 222404.1, 169426.1, 223522.1 and 231901.1. Regards... "michael brule" <michael.brule@phoenixwm.com> wrote in message news:55f7800f.0411290816.6c66d00e@posting.google.com... > Hello All; > > Our Oracle installation is being outsourced. Currently it is hosted > by AIX 4.3 o/s. When it is transferred to the outsourcer, it AIX 5.2 > will be the hosting o/s. The Oracle installation will remai...

Moving/Migrating /etc files from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3.0
We are migrating our administrative system from an F50 running AIX 4.3.3 to a p5-550 running AIX 5.3.0. When comparing the base 'passwd', 'group', etc., I've noticed that the AIX 5.3.0 base files for 'passwd', 'group', etc. files have ids which are assigned to different users than the ids on the 4.3.3 machine. What is the proper method to 'migrate' the 'passwd', 'group', etc. from 4.3.3 to 5.3.0? For example: Should I leave the ids alone on the 5.3 'passwd', 'group', etc, and somehow assign new ids to the conflicting ids? Is there an better method to combine the 4.3.3 files with the 5.3.0 files? Any other methods available? Thanks in Advance, Denny Watkins Director Computer Services Morningside College Sioux City, Ia 51106-1717 Phone: 1-712-274-5250 Email: watkins@morningside.edu mside wrote: > We are migrating our administrative system from an F50 running > AIX 4.3.3 to a p5-550 running AIX 5.3.0. > > When comparing the base 'passwd', 'group', etc., I've noticed > that the AIX 5.3.0 base files for 'passwd', 'group', etc. files > have ids which are assigned to different users than the ids on > the 4.3.3 machine. > > What is the proper method to 'migrate' the 'passwd', 'group', > etc. from 4.3.3 to 5.3.0? > > For example: > Should I leave the ids alone on the 5.3 'passwd', 'gr...

Dual booting AIX 5.1 and AIX 5.3
I am having trouble switching to the AIX 5.3 system from AIX 5.1 - I have no problems going the other way. The system hangs on reboot after putting up the starting software message with the LED set on E140. I am using bootlist to switch between 2 SCSI boot disks. The problems only to seem to have arisen when I upgraded the first disk from AIX 5.2 to 5.3. I can recover by booting off the 5.3 CDROM and then aborting the boot and when I now restart the system it successfully comes up in AIX 5.3. Just to complicate matters the AIX 5.1 system runs in 32-bit mode and the AIX 5.3 in 64-bit mode. John Problem solved : upgrading the system firmware to the latest level seems to have done the trick. ...

mixing AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3 on power5?
Looks like I may get a p550q soon. I'm not allowed to migrate the existing applications (yet) to 5.3. I want to install a 5.3 LPAR and begin understanding the VIO layers. Can I mix 5.2 and 5.3 LPARs on the same p550q? I know the 5.2 must be at the whole CPU level and the 5.3 could use portions of a single CPU. Anything else? Mike yes you can have 5.2 & 5.3 on different lpars on the same p550, and yes, you need 5.3 to do micropartitioning with the cpu's. with 5.3 you can also run your lpars in uncapped mode so that unused processing units can be accessed by your active partitions from the shared processor pool. 5.3 has some significant improvements to virtualization, so if youre interested in this stuff, i would recommend you try to get your app to run on the 5.3 partition even if you have to port some stuff. theres lots of good redbooks on virtualization. it gets a bit complicated though, and i'm still trying to figure a lot of it out. good luck. http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247940.html?Open On 2006-01-29, christiancolborn <christiancolborn@yahoo.com> wrote: > yes you can have 5.2 & 5.3 on different lpars on the same p550, and > yes, you need 5.3 to do micropartitioning with the cpu's. with 5.3 you > can also run your lpars in uncapped mode so that unused processing > units can be accessed by your active partitions from the shared > processor pool. 5.3 has some significant improvements to > virtualization, ...

How to unzip and install the files in AIX 5.3 Unix Server
Hi Unix Group Mates, I would like to seek your advice. I'm trying to upgrade the zip and unzip utilities for our AIX 5.3 Unix Server. I have download the installer to my local notebook. However I don't know how to install this to the server. I'm really looking forward for my friends reply here. Many thanks in advance. I really appreciate all of your help. Best Regards, Afeena, Malaysia On 8 fev, 09:49, "afeena83" <fina...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Unix Group Mates, > I would like to seek your advice. I'm trying to upgrade the zip and > unzip utilities for our AIX 5.3 Unix Server. I have download the > installer to my local notebook. However I don't know how to install > this to the server. > I'm really looking forward for my friends reply here. > Many thanks in advance. > > I really appreciate all of your help. > > Best Regards, > Afeena, Malaysia I'm considering that zip/unzip are in bff format. You have to copy this file to a temporary directory (if FTP copy, use binary format), run "inutoc ." and then execute "smitty install_latest". If it's a RPM package, it must be for AIX. Copy it to a temporary directory then upgrade like you would do in linux (rpm -Uvh <package>). Anderson ...

lex problem migrating from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3 (NCH was 256 is 4096)
I am migrating a large application from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3 and have hit a problem with lex. In AIX 4.3.3 lex compiles many files sucessfully, but in AIX 5.3 it does not. The problem is that the number of transitions has increased markedly for the same lex source file. this seems to be caused by the "#define NCH 4096" on line 6 of the generated C file. (The value was 256 under AIX 4.3.3.) There is a corresponding increase in generated tables in the C file (with 4096 lines of table data as opposed to 256 previously). If I run AIX 5.3 lex against my lex source file I get the following message: Error: 1285-311 There are too many transitions. I can fix this by changing the source line "%a 30000" to "%a 300000" but then I get Error: 1285-343 There is an output table overflow. so I would also have to change "%o 30000" to "%o 300000". This results in dramatically larger C files and may have a performance impact on the final object also. I'd really like lex to use the previous table sizes but can see no way of instructing AIX 5.3 lex to do this. Sure, I can copy AIX 4.3.3 lex to 5.3 but that defeats the purpose of upgrading to a supported level of AIX. Any ideas or explanations? (BTW, I haven't posted for a while and found it hard to find a free, anonymous, posting-capable newsgroup server that actually posts messages outside its own domain. news.cheap56k.com is the server that this came from. Are users normal...

Installing AIX 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 on a single server
Hi all, Is there any way to install different versions of AIX (from 5.1 to 5.3) on a single server? And to make them work simultaneously? I heard of LPAR but I am not sure it is possible to do such a thing with this feature... Thx for your help in advance. Regards The_Nail wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there any way to install different versions of AIX (from 5.1 to > 5.3) on a single server? And to make them work simultaneously? > I heard of LPAR but I am not sure it is possible to do such a thing > with this feature... > > > Thx for your help in advance. > Regar...

Problem Installing Oracle 9.2.0.1 on AIX 5.3 ML03
I am having problems installing Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.3 ML03 I have installed the 28 fixes for the IY76140 - CHILD PROCESS UNABLE TO LOAD A MODULE (bos.sysmgt.nim.master.5.3.0.40.bff & devices.vdevice.hvterm-protocol.rte.5.3.0.40.bff didnt install cos the prequisites werent installed). Basically what is happening is the server is hanging before exporting anything to the desktop, due to the following error: $ The Java RunTime Environment was not found at /tmp/ OraInstall2007-03-12_08-50-28PM/jre/bin/java. Hence, the Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run. Please visit http://www.javasoft.com and install JRE version 1.3.1 or higher and try again. : No such file or directory When i look in the /tmp/Ora* directory there is no jre folder. I have java installed at /usr/java131 and /usr/java5 - I have tried with each of these available from the path. B On 12 Mar 2007 10:04:49 -0700, "bomahony" <bomahony@gmail.com> wrote: >I am having problems installing Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.3 ML03 > >I have installed the 28 fixes for the IY76140 - CHILD PROCESS UNABLE >TO LOAD A MODULE (bos.sysmgt.nim.master.5.3.0.40.bff & >devices.vdevice.hvterm-protocol.rte.5.3.0.40.bff didnt install cos the >prequisites werent installed). > >Basically what is happening is the server is hanging before exporting >anything to the desktop, due to the following error: >$ The Java RunTime Environment was not found at /tmp/ >OraInstall2007-03-12_08-50-28PM/j...

Problem Installing Oracle 9.2.0.1 on AIX 5.3 ML03
I am having problems installing Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.3 ML03 I have installed the 28 fixes for the IY76140 - CHILD PROCESS UNABLE TO LOAD A MODULE (bos.sysmgt.nim.master.5.3.0.40.bff & devices.vdevice.hvterm-protocol.rte.5.3.0.40.bff didnt install cos the prequisites werent installed). Basically what is happening is the server is hanging before exporting anything to the desktop, due to the following error: $ The Java RunTime Environment was not found at /tmp/ OraInstall2007-03-12_08-50-28PM/jre/bin/java. Hence, the Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run. Please visit http://www.javasoft.com and install JRE version 1.3.1 or higher and try again. : No such file or directory When i look in the /tmp/Ora* directory there is no jre folder. I have java installed at /usr/java131 and /usr/java5 - I have tried with each of these available from the path. B On Mar 12, 3:11 pm, "bomahony" <bomah...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am having problems installing Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.3 ML03 <snip> > B Forgot to mention that im installing from an NFS share, although i have already installed 10.1.0.2 to this machine. however all env are unset, inc JAVA_HOME, ORACLE_BASE adn ORACLE_SID. B bomahony <bomahony@gmail.com> wrote: > I am having problems installing Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.3 ML03 > > Basically what is happening is the server is hanging before exporting > anything to the desktop, due to the following error: > $ The Java RunTime Environment...

Oracle 10G RAC install on AIX 5.3
Hello I need to learn installation of Oracle 10 G RAC. I am able to get two AIX 5.3 boxes that have a shared SCSI drive between them. Both AIX 5.3 boxes are on same 100 mbps LAN. Do I need anything else (e.g. any clustering software), before I can install Oracle RAC? Thanks goyald@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > I need to learn installation of Oracle 10 G RAC. I am able to get two > AIX 5.3 boxes that have a shared SCSI drive between them. > > Both AIX 5.3 boxes are on same 100 mbps LAN. > > Do I need anything else (e.g. any clustering software), before I can > install Oracle RAC? > > Thanks A shared SCSI drive between them is of zero value for RAC. Contact me off-line and I can point you to hands-on training. But the first piece of the puzzle you need to understand is the meaning of shared storage. This does not mean two servers can mount the same file system. It means two servers can share the storage on a block by block basis with no locking. The choices are either RAW (usually with ASM) or a clustered file system such as NetApp, OCFS, or OCFS2. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org DA Morgan wrote: > goyald@gmail.com wrote: > > Hello > > I need to learn installation of Oracle 10 G RAC. I am able to get two > > AIX 5.3 boxes that have a shared SCSI drive between them. > > > > Both AIX 5.3 boxes a...

Can I restore Aix 5.3 backup with Aix 5.2 boot and...?
Hello, Situation: At home I have RS6000 that I bought for educational purpose. The model is IBM RS/6000 7044-170 that has AIX 5.3 installed. As I am really a beginner in the Unix based operating systems field, I presume there will be a lot of backup/restore procedures in the begining. At home I have 2 desktop computers running Windows XP Home in network with the RS 6000. Unfortunately the server doesn't have tape drive, but only CD and floppy. I have already made a backup with mksysb, excluding the filesystem that the backup is going to be in. Questions: 1. Please, advise me how can I restore this backup after things mess up. I'm thinking of splitnig it on two CDs and every time I have to restore it - booting from the Aix 5.2 boot cd that I have, copying it on the hard drive, merging it into one file and after that - restoring. If you can suggest me a more elegant way - please, do it :-) 2. The second question - the one from the topic - can I restore with the AIX 5.2 boot cd backup of AIX 5.3. From my beginner's logic - I think it's not going to be a problem, but I need someone to confirm. Thank you all very much in advance. In article <1149258472.280674.145380@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Simeon.Iskidzhiyski <simaka@gmail.com> wrote: > At home I have RS6000 that I bought for educational purpose. The model > is IBM RS/6000 7044-170 that has AIX 5.3 installed. As I am really a > beginner in the Unix based operating systems field, I pre...

FW: IDS Migration from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2
Trying to send again. Steve Brown -----Original Message----- From: Brown, Steve L [ITS] Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 8:31 AM To: 'TBP' Subject: RE: IDS Migration from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 We fought this for over a month last year. We went from some RS6000 running 2 500 mHZ cpu's to a P630 running 4 1 gig cpu's. We went from 4.3.3 on the old boxes to 5.2 on the new machines and had many problem trying to get Informix to behave. IBM, after many weeks of trying and failing, had us change from 64 bit kernel to a 32 bit kernel. That helped a lot, but still had problems with Informix. They then made us change from "shared memory" to tcp connections. IBM said the problem was that the "Regatta" boxes are too fast to use "shared memory". Things settled down and we went into production. But last year has been horrible with our app. We lost performance. We run ton's of big stored procedures and choke the boxes pretty often. They finally closed all our open ticket in favor of upgrading to the next relase and see how it goes. We're going to upgrade next month. I forgot the next version number. The gut feel is that Informix ran better under 4.3 with the 2 500 mHZ cpu's. Steve Brown -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of TBP Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 4:58 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: I...

AIX 4.1.5 for Clients vs. regular AIX 4.1.5
Hi, My IBM RS/6000 Notebook 860 portable workstation was originally packaged with IBM AIX Version 4.1.5 for Clients. Does anybody know the difference with the regular 4.1.5? Many thanks, Emeric -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG Emeric Maschino wrote: > Hi, > > My IBM RS/6000 Notebook 860 portable workstation was originally packaged > with IBM AIX Version 4.1.5 for Clients. Does anybody know the difference > with the regular 4.1.5? > > Many thanks, > > Emeric > > > -- > Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG can't remember for sure, I also had an Aix portable I seem to recall the difference being it lacked some server daemons, required less disk space and less memory than the "Server" versions. I think the early days of 4.2 also had a "clients" and "server" editions. Here is a link to additional info on your machine: http://www.nand.net/~rjhawkin/ppc850tp/IBM_Offering_for_860.html ...

moving xlc 5.0.1 on aix 4.3 to aix 5.2?
We are upgrading our B50 with AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 We currently use C for AIX xlc 5.0.1 on AIX 4.3.3. I remember reading xlc 5.0.2 is required to be used for AIX 5.2. Does this mean we have to purchase a new compiler, or is there an upgrade available. thank you sol sol gongola wrote: > We are upgrading our B50 with AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 > We currently use C for AIX xlc 5.0.1 on AIX 4.3.3. > > I remember reading xlc 5.0.2 is required to be used for > AIX 5.2. Does this mean we have to purchase a new > compiler, or is there an upgrade available. Just install updates....

Web resources about - installing oracle 8i client on aix 5.3 - comp.unix.aix

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Installing Virtru for Business on Your Google Domain - YouTube
Installing Virtru for Business takes about a minute through the Google Apps Marketplace. When you install Virtru for Business you gain the ability ...

Nine Sydney councils are getting ready to turn off the lights &ndash; 13,000 of them &ndash; to save more than $20 million.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper