Multiple NIM masters on same network

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if I can add multiple NIM masters onto the same
network?  I thought I read somewhere long ago, that this was not
recommended.  I'd like to know if things have changed with AIX 5.3, or
if you could point me to any recent documents if it's allowed.

Cheers!

0
shpot4 (39)
1/31/2006 12:22:48 AM
comp.unix.aix 10962 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

AIX 5.3 Differences Guide SG24-7463-00
search http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

hth
Hajo

0
service490 (1039)

AIX NIM master and Linux LPARs
Hello, Has anyone had experience building Linux LPARs on a pSeries system using NIM as the boot install server? Could you please point me to some documentation which shows how this can be accomplished? Or, perhaps how to boot/build an pSeries Linux LPAR using a Linux kickstart server. I am just starting to research these two options and would like your feedback on your experiences. Thanks for you help in advance. Cheers! shpot4@yahoo.com wrote: > Hello, > Has anyone had experience building Linux LPARs on a pSeries system > using NIM as the boot install server? Could you pleas...

FYI: AIX 6.1 Installation from a lower AIX version using NIM or NIMOL ( NIM on Linux )
AIX 6.1 Installation from a lower AIX version using NIM or NIMOL ( NIM on Linux ) *Introduction In case you need to install an AIX OS over the network you need normally a AIX machine at the same AIX level and a configured NIM environment or a linux machine serving NIM functions (NIMOL). NIMOL RPM Packages ( Fits also for aix 5.3 ) The AIX 6.1 base installation contains a directory ./RPMS/linux ( The 5.3 as well and about 5.2 i do not know ) This directory contains the files for a NIMOL installation - XML-LibXML-1.58-1.i386.rpm - libxml2-2.6.17-4.i586.rpm - nimol-1.0-4.noarch.rpm - osinstall-1.0-1.noarch.rpm and the SPOT and KERNEL for the given aix version ( aix-res-..... ) in the - aix-res-6100-00-1.0-1.aix5.3.noarch.rpm Where the aix-res contains the following files. - Boot kernel - /opt/aix-res/6100-00/booti.chrp.mp.ent.Z - Bosinst.data - /opt/aix-res/6100-00/bosinst.data - SPOT - /opt/aix-res/6100-00/ispot.tar.Z * Using NIMOL to install AIX 6.1 For an introduction to NIMOL and BASIC NIMOL configuration ( No resources are configured ) please read: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-install-aix.html#instlinim For creating installation resources i suggest the following IBM documentation because other information found on the iNet ( search nimol ) mention that you need a mksysb what is not correct imho. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/aix/topic/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds4/nimol_config.htm * Create a NIMOL resource Sin...

Multiple masters and multiple TSIG keys
Hello BIND users, I'm using BIND 9.7.1-P2. I have the following configuration in my named.conf: masters "m" { ip1; ip2; ip3; ip4; }; zone "z1" { type slave; file "z1"; masters { m; }; }; zone "z2" { type slave; file "z2"; masters { m; }; }; Now, I have been given 2 keys, t1 and t2, to use for transferring z1 and z2 respectively. I defined the keys in my configuration file, and then did: zone "z1" { type slave; file "z1"; masters { m key t1; }; }; zone "z2" { type sl...

Multiple network/Multiple provider Routing
All, I have a Cisco 2821 configured to bond two T1's from one provider with CEF. This network connects, in turn, to Gig0/0 to my production firewall. All of this works fine. However, another T1 has been brought in for another purpose. I want to route any traffic from Gig0/1 to this new T1 and from the new T1 to Gig0/1. I know this can be done with something like EIGRP, but will is mess up my current routing? I'm sure if I make a specific route for this ethernet interface, I'll have to do the same for the other, no? Anybody have an example floating around that I could see? tom@dr...

Networking Questions I have for multiple OS Networking
I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have plans to network 7 PC's together with different OS as follows. Windows XP Prof Windows XP Home Windows 2000 Windows Me Windows 98 SE Windows 95B Linux Red Hat 8.0 My 7 computers have their OS installed as well as 10/100mbps NICs, which will all connect to my 10/100 Switch. (1.) Does anyone know of any incompatibilities I will have or problems that I can avoid when setting up this network of multiple operating systems? (2.) Is there any patches I will need for specific OS to network with the...

Difference between HP Unix and Unix AIX
What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? Is there any ? dlprogress wrote: > What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? > Is there any ? > > Unless you're getting into system dependent stuff, no, there's no real difference. However, one real difference is that AIX is an IBM and not an HP product. -- Fletcher Glenn ...

Automating Multiple networks and multiple cards
I have a laptop that I use in the usual three different places: at home, at work, and on the road. At home I have a NAT'ted network behind a firewall and no DHCP; you won't be given the time of day on my network if you don't have an approved MAC address. The network has both a wireless and wired component, with a Linksys AP hanging off the central hub. I usually use the wireless, but sometimes for speed's sake plug in. At work, I plug in using a different card that I leave at the office, to a wired network. And on the road I have all the usual headaches of wandering from W...

Multiple Network Adapters Browse Network Neighborhood
Probably not the most ideal setup... We have a setup where the web/mail servers are behind a firewall and then an additional firewall is placed between the web/mail servers and the office computers. The web/mail servers have public IPs and the office computers have private IPs. In an attempt to avoid nasty issues of replicating active directory across the firewall, we have one W2K server that has a network card with a private address and one with a public address. When our office users browse the network neighborhood they see the public computers only in the network neighborhood. Is there ...

Multiple Network Adapters Browse Network Neighborhood
Probably not the most ideal setup... We have a setup where the web/mail servers are behind a firewall and then an additional firewall is placed between the web/mail servers and the office computers. The web/mail servers have public IPs and the office computers have private IPs. In an attempt to avoid nasty issues of replicating active directory across the firewall, we have one W2K server that has a network card with a private address and one with a public address. When our office users browse the network neighborhood they see the public computers only in the network neighborhood. Is there a way to configure so that the W2K server broadcasts the private IP computers to each other in the network neighborhood. ...

single interface multiple networks + broadcast to all networks
Hello, I have a machine which is in one network say 192.168.1.0. But we have here a configuration where two networks 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 are local and directly available. So I had to set up two routes to the local networks. Now this machine should be a cups-server to both networks and broadcast his cups-information into both networks. I seems that I can sent only broadcast-packets to the network where the host belongs. Is it so uncommon to sent broadcast into the other network? Or must be the source of a broadcast packet originate in the same network? Do I have to enable something under /proc/sys/net/... Or is just cups broken? Greetings, David David Werner wrote: > Hello, > > I have a machine which is in one network say 192.168.1.0. > But we have here a configuration where two networks 192.168.1.0 > and 192.168.2.0 are local and directly available. > So I had to set up two routes to the local networks. > Now this machine should be a cups-server to both networks > and broadcast his cups-information into both networks. > I seems that I can sent only broadcast-packets to the network > where the host belongs. > Is it so uncommon to sent broadcast into the other network? Routers -- unlike switches -- are broadcast boundaries. Ie., broadcasts do not propogate beyond the local subnet. > Or must be the source of a broadcast packet originate in the same network? If I understand your question, yes. The most common broa...

ASA 5510 multiple outside networks multiple IP
Hi our ISP provides us with two C-Class Networks lets say 1.1.1.0 and 1.1.2.0. with the gateways 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.2.1. Now we have on different networks different services running e.g. 1.1.1.2 (vpn) 1.1.2.2 (www) 1.1.2.3 (special application) which we want to consolidate to come into our private network over one ASA5510 when we try to configure one outside interface to 1.1.2.2/255.255.255.0 and then the next outside interface to 1.1.2.3/255.255.255.0 the ASA tells us that this is not possible due to overlapping networks is there any solution for that. The second question wh...

Routing multiple public IPs to multiple internal networks
Here is the situation: We are going to be getting an internet connection with a /28 block of public IPs. What I would like to do is be able to filter all of the traffic through one Router/Firewall box so I can do filtering, QoS, bandwidth monitoring, etc. and give a public IP to a series of Linksys routers for different tenants in the building. I am not quite sure how to setup the IPs since I have only had experience with 1 public IP and NAT in the past. I have tentatively come up with this setup but I wanted to run it by someone more knowledgable than myself before ordering the equipment and deploying everything. Here is a diagram to help clarify: >From ISP: x.y.z.224/28 +----------------+ | ISP Router | | x.y.z.225/28 | +----------------+ | | | +-----------------+ | x.y.z.226/28 | | Router/Firewall | | x.y.z.227/28 | +-----------------+ | | | +------------------+ | Switch | +------------------+ | | | | | | +------------+ +------------+ |x.y.z.228/28| |x.y.z.229/28| | Linksys | | Linksys | +------------+ +------------+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Private Private Network Network Would this addressing scheme work? I thought about subdividing the subnet but I don't want to lose IPs in the process and it seems li...

unix networking
hi all..plz help me out how to calculate UDP Checksome...plz pravink@s7solutions.com writes: > hi all..plz help me out how to calculate UDP Checksome...plz > You'll need to learn to spell, after which you can: google udp checksum -- Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605 Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002 New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer skype: jjpfeifferjr On 11 Aug 2005 05:30:48 -0700, pravink@s7solutions.com wrote: >hi all..plz help me out how to calculate UDP Checksome...plz Go to www.ietf.org You'll find RFC 0768 on UDP, and RFC1071 on the internet checksum. Dan ...

Unix AIX
What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away and the server hangs, i would apprecaite a list of commands for unix aix, we are on version 6.1 Thanks!! SAPUNIX wrote: > What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes > we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away > and the server hangs those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? In comp.unix.aix, Sven Mascheck <mascheck@email.invalid> wrote: >SAPUNIX wrote: >> What is the best way to clear semaphores and shared memory, sometimes >> we run those ipcs and ipcrm commands but some of them do not go away >> and the server hangs > >those who do not go away, are they really not in use anymore? My experience is if they don't go away from properly formatted ipcs / ipcrm commands, it's because they're tied to processes which are hung waiting on kernel threads (and basically, defunct). In which case you need to kill the owning process (which is already dead, and which probably won't respond to a kill -9 since it's stuck in a kernel thread) or reboot the box. SAP is the worst offender in this regard IME. It's the only app I've ever known people have to constantly clear down shared memory / semaphores for when it doesn't shut down cleanly. -- Tony Evans Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993 blog...

NIM Master
Is it possible to have more than one NIM master besides using alternate master? All of the clients are not at AIX 5.3, and based on the documentation, you must have the clients at 5.3 for alternate NIM master to work. Jamie.Aldrich@gmail.com wrote: > Is it possible to have more than one NIM master besides using alternate > master? All of the clients are not at AIX 5.3, and based on the > documentation, you must have the clients at 5.3 for alternate NIM > master to work. NIM is just another piece of software.. you can install / configure it in as many places as you see fit. ...

Multiple Networks
How do I get my machine from trying to connect to the other networks that show up? I live in an apartment building, and 2 other networks show up, and mine keeps disconnecting...Mine is secure, but it still looks for the other ones, and I gotta keep connecting mine... Thanks -- *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'* The proctologist called...they found your head. On 9/26/2005 8:45 PM, The Baba wrote: > How do I get my machine from trying to connect to the other networks that > show up? I live in an apartment building, and 2 other networks sh...

Macro to gather multiple pdf files from multiple directories on a network drive
I am seeking a macro or gui to gather multiple pdf files from multiple directories on a network drive. For example, I would like to run a macro that will read in a BOM (in some format-probably a csv file), then search several directories of a network drive for the corresponding pdf files (component number e.g. 12050-123) and copy the pdf's into a single directory. Then I would like the same macro, or a different macro if need be, to print the pdf files from that single directory. I realize that this is not directly a SW post however it is a downstream process that is related to SW. Any...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304132401. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45303832413) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45303832413. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304457606) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304732416) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexible schedule must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift any day of the week . Self-started no time for OJT. Extra points TCP IP, Oracle, DB2 database admin, complex networks. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Karen Lehman" <klehman@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45304732416. ...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304432405) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401)
US-TX-Austin: Application Developer-AIX, AIX, UNIX; 7M (45304132401) ==================================================================== Position: Application Developer-AIX Reference: MKL00780 Location: Austin TX Duration: 7M Skills: AIX UNIX Scope: Unix AIX preferred system admin skills and experience. Experience configuring all types of servers, storage and networks. Excellent written communication skills must be able to clearly describe a problem and resolution status Flexibl...

Web resources about - Multiple NIM masters on same network - comp.unix.aix

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Medical examiner: Katy teen died from multiple gunshot wounds - abc13.com
Authorities say they have identified the body found in west Houston earlier this week as missing Katy teenager Adriana Coronado.

Belgian ministers acknowledge multiple security mistakes
The attacks in Brussels have exposed missteps by European security officials and police, just four months after the Islamic State's assault on ...

Choetech 6 port USB charger: The quick way to charge multiple devices
Having multiple mobile devices is great. Charging them? Not so much. If you need to top the battery on a few smartphones and tablets at the same ...

Terror attacks hit Belgium: Multiple explosions at Brussels airport and metro
A new wave of terrorist attacks has hit Europe, following the incidents in Ankara, Turkey. A series of explosions shocked the Brussels airport ...

Leonardo Di Caprio’s Galaxia App Encourages Having Multiple Personalities
... anything posted in that group stays in that group, and can’t be seen by those outside of it. On top of that, Galaxia users can create multiple ...