Need help: AIX 5.1 network connection to internet behind router

Hi,

I have only minimal AIX knowledge but am slowly learning.

What I want to do is get an internet connection on the AIX
box.

I have an IBM 43P Model 140 running AIX 5.1.

I have it plugged into my home network. I have cable
internet (Rogers, Canada) and therefore use a cable modem
which connects to a 4 port wired router (LinkSys BEFSR41 V3
with firmware 1.05.00). The router is ip 192.168.1.1.

I have a couple of wintel machines connected to the router.
They use static IP addresses, as I am using some
router port forwarding (e.g., for microtorrent).

On the en0 network configuration page using smitty,
it asks for a few items. I've entered:

Hostname: aixsys

Internet address: 192.168.1.104 (this doesn't conflict with
the other computers)

Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Interface: en0

Default gateway address: 192.168.1.1

I'm stumped on what to put for

Nameserver: Internet address
and associated Domain name.

On my wintel machines, I put the router's ip address,
which is the same as the gateway address (192.168.1.1) and
on wintel they don't ask for a domain name.

On the AIX box, smitty won't accept only the address. It
also wants the domain name. I don't know what to put.

I've tried rogers.com. I've tried putting it as blank in
the resolv.conf file (but it's probably not a good idea for
me to be mucking about with vi, as I don't know what I'm
doing).

The symptoms:

With Nameserver: internet address as 192.168.1.1 and
domain as rogers.com, Mozilla won't find any websites
by domain name. It won't find any websites
via ip addresses either except for the router's address.
I can ping the router from aix. I can use putty with ssh to
connect to the aix box from any of the wintel machines. I
can also transfer files with psftp.

It sure seems like my trouble is with
nameserver: internet address
          : domain name

Can anybody shed some light?

Thanks,
Dave Buchan
pdbuchan@yahoo.com
0
pdbuchan (31)
12/31/2008 8:36:30 PM
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

"Paul David Buchan" <pdbuchan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have only minimal AIX knowledge but am slowly learning.
>
> What I want to do is get an internet connection on the AIX
> box.
>
> I have an IBM 43P Model 140 running AIX 5.1.
>
> I have it plugged into my home network. I have cable
> internet (Rogers, Canada) and therefore use a cable modem
> which connects to a 4 port wired router (LinkSys BEFSR41 V3
> with firmware 1.05.00). The router is ip 192.168.1.1.
>
> I have a couple of wintel machines connected to the router.
> They use static IP addresses, as I am using some
> router port forwarding (e.g., for microtorrent).
>
> On the en0 network configuration page using smitty,
> it asks for a few items. I've entered:
>
> Hostname: aixsys
>
> Internet address: 192.168.1.104 (this doesn't conflict with
> the other computers)
>
> Network mask: 255.255.255.0
>
> Interface: en0
>
> Default gateway address: 192.168.1.1
>
> I'm stumped on what to put for
>
> Nameserver: Internet address
> and associated Domain name.
>
> On my wintel machines, I put the router's ip address,
> which is the same as the gateway address (192.168.1.1) and
> on wintel they don't ask for a domain name.
>
> On the AIX box, smitty won't accept only the address. It
> also wants the domain name. I don't know what to put.
>
> I've tried rogers.com. I've tried putting it as blank in
> the resolv.conf file (but it's probably not a good idea for
> me to be mucking about with vi, as I don't know what I'm
> doing).
>
> The symptoms:
>
> With Nameserver: internet address as 192.168.1.1 and
> domain as rogers.com, Mozilla won't find any websites
> by domain name. It won't find any websites
> via ip addresses either except for the router's address.
> I can ping the router from aix. I can use putty with ssh to
> connect to the aix box from any of the wintel machines. I
> can also transfer files with psftp.
>
> It sure seems like my trouble is with
> nameserver: internet address
>          : domain name
>
> Can anybody shed some light?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Buchan
> pdbuchan@yahoo.com

Paul

I got off my provider their Domain Name Servers (DNS) Primary DNS:eg
139.134.5.51 and put this in one of those dns converters to show it was
sy-dns03.tmns.net.au and used those two pieces of info to feed into the
TCP/IP setup ie

Domain Name:  sy-dns03.mns.net.au
IP Name Server: 139.136.5.51

One thing was, I had to have was another computer, in my case XP, already
connected to the internet before I set up the TCP/IP on the AIX box. I use a
dialup ISP on a P2P network.

Hope this helps.

0
farl7FAKE (123)
12/31/2008 10:59:23 PM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Paul David Buchan wrote:

> On the AIX box, smitty won't accept only the address. It
> also wants the domain name. I don't know what to put.

You can use anything you like for the domain. I use 'local'.

> I've tried rogers.com. I've tried putting it as blank in
> the resolv.conf file (but it's probably not a good idea for
> me to be mucking about with vi, as I don't know what I'm
> doing).
>
> The symptoms:
>
> With Nameserver: internet address as 192.168.1.1 and
> domain as rogers.com, Mozilla won't find any websites
> by domain name. It won't find any websites
> via ip addresses either except for the router's address.
> I can ping the router from aix. I can use putty with ssh to
> connect to the aix box from any of the wintel machines. I
> can also transfer files with psftp.

Can you ping machines on the internet from the AIX box by IP address or
by name? Try pinging 207.245.252.27 (which is www.rogers.com).

What does your resolv.conf file look like at the moment?

0
mathewm2 (5)
1/1/2009 12:44:26 PM
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:44:26 +0000, mathewm wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Paul David Buchan wrote:
>
>> On the AIX box, smitty won't accept only the address. It
>> also wants the domain name. I don't know what to put.
>
> You can use anything you like for the domain. I use 'local'.
>
>> I've tried rogers.com. I've tried putting it as blank in
>> the resolv.conf file (but it's probably not a good idea for
>> me to be mucking about with vi, as I don't know what I'm
>> doing).
>>
>> The symptoms:
>>
>> With Nameserver: internet address as 192.168.1.1 and
>> domain as rogers.com, Mozilla won't find any websites
>> by domain name. It won't find any websites
>> via ip addresses either except for the router's address.
>> I can ping the router from aix. I can use putty with ssh to
>> connect to the aix box from any of the wintel machines. I
>> can also transfer files with psftp.
>
> Can you ping machines on the internet from the AIX box by IP address or
> by name? Try pinging 207.245.252.27 (which is www.rogers.com).
>
> What does your resolv.conf file look like at the moment?

Hi Mathew,

I tried a few scenarios to give us more info:

1) With no resolv.conf file at all, I can successfully
ping 207.245.252.27. I then ran Mozilla and typed in the
same ip and it replied, "www.rogers.com could not be found.
Please check the name and try again." This is a remarkable
result since I gave it an ip only; no one mentioned rogers.
Again, this is with no resolv.conf file at all.

2) While in cde, I used smitty to add to nameserver:
internet address: 192.168.1.1
domain: rogers.com

I looked in the new resolv.conf file and it now had:

nameserver	192.168.1.1
domain	rogers.com

I then ran Mozilla and it actually works, but is
excruciatingly slow to render web pages.

3) After 2), I then logged out and then tried to log back
using cde. It took ages but did come up, however, a popup
window appears saying:

**quote**
Action Required
The DT messaging system could not be started.
To correct the problem:

1. Choose [OK] to return to the login screen.

2. Select Failsafe Session from the login screen's option
menu and log in.

3. Check to see that the hostname is correct in:
/etc/hosts
Other hostname problems can be corrected by using the
command:
smit mktcpip

4. Check to see that if a search list is specified in
/etc/resolv.conf, it includes the domain your machine is
configured on.

For additional information, see the DT User's Guide.
**end quote**

Dave
0
pdbuchan (31)
1/1/2009 4:54:48 PM
Paul David Buchan schrieb:

> I looked in the new resolv.conf file and it now had:
>
> nameserver	192.168.1.1
> domain	rogers.com

looks OK so far.

> I then ran Mozilla and it actually works, but is
> excruciatingly slow to render web pages.

Maybe it helps to add in /etc/netsvc.conf:

hosts=local,bind

Also, when defining your NIC via smitty,
the "gateway" entry should be set to your router,
192.168.1.1

0
M.Kraemer (2048)
1/1/2009 6:26:17 PM
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:26:17 +0100, Michael Kraemer wrote:

> Paul David Buchan schrieb:
>

>> I looked in the new resolv.conf file and it now had:
>>
>> nameserver	192.168.1.1
>> domain	rogers.com
>
> looks OK so far.
>
>> I then ran Mozilla and it actually works, but is
>> excruciatingly slow to render web pages.
>>

> Maybe it helps to add in /etc/netsvc.conf:
>
> hosts=local,bind
>
> Also, when defining your NIC via smitty,
> the "gateway" entry should be set to your router,
> 192.168.1.1

Hi Michael,

I added in the /etc/netsvc.conf as you auggested.
I used vi. Is there a way to create that from smitty?

(the gateway entry was already set to my router ip).

The result was that cde now loads up quickly and works
without the popup window message.

However, the browser is still so slow as to be almost non-
functional. e.g., to click on File, Exit takes me about a
minute.

So, we've helped at least one thing.

Dave
0
pdbuchan (31)
1/1/2009 7:53:20 PM
On Jan 1, 2:53=A0pm, Paul David Buchan <pdbuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:26:17 +0100, Michael Kraemer wrote:
> > Paul David Buchan schrieb:
>
> >> I looked in the new resolv.conf file and it now had:
>
> >> nameserver =A0 =A0 192.168.1.1
> >> domain rogers.com
>
> > looks OK so far.
>
> >> I then ran Mozilla and it actually works, but is
> >> excruciatingly slow to render web pages.
>
> > Maybe it helps to add in /etc/netsvc.conf:
>
> > hosts=3Dlocal,bind
>
> > Also, when defining your NIC via smitty,
> > the "gateway" entry should be set to your router,
> > 192.168.1.1
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I added in the /etc/netsvc.conf as you auggested.
> I used vi. Is there a way to create that from smitty?
>
> (the gateway entry was already set to my router ip).
>
> The result was that cde now loads up quickly and works
> without the popup window message.
>
> However, the browser is still so slow as to be almost non-
> functional. e.g., to click on File, Exit takes me about a
> minute.
>
> So, we've helped at least one thing.
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

Hello Paul......

I have a 7043-140 running AIX 5.1 on line right now. My ISP is Comcast
and I am connecting through a cascaded router to a router/modem.

Our main difference is that I am using a KDE desktop and the Konqueror
browser from the AIX Toolbox for Linux disk.  I like it much better
than the desktop provided with AIX 5.1.

You can ask me any questions at this address:  dogpatch11 at comcast
dot net

CT
0
msgtknight (57)