Printing bigger than letter siz files

I need to print image files (HPGL type)out to a Xerox printer.  The
problem is that files that are bigger than letter size only get a
portion of if printed out on letter size paper.  How would I make the
queue resize the image so that it proportionatly fits onto a letter
size piece of paper?

Thanks!
PC
0
tcarter7 (4)
7/12/2004 6:49:34 PM
comp.unix.aix 10953 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

What is better: file>print to distiller or file>print to ps file>into distiller?
I noticed that some files WILL convert to pdf by printing to PS-file first, and some ony when you print to distiller 'directly' Is there any difference in the 'quality'of the resulting pdf? Reason I'm asking is because my boss wants to set up a dedicated distiller-server, that we will send ps-files to, to be distilled. But from my experience, i get less failure if I print 'directly' to distiller from the application I'm using. Any comments on this welcome! Yada In message <1069972424.464483@evisp-news-01.ops.asmr-01.energis-idc.net>, Yada <yada@yadamail.yad> wrote >I noticed that some files WILL convert to pdf by printing to PS-file first, >and some ony when you print to distiller 'directly' > >Is there any difference in the 'quality'of the resulting pdf? > >Reason I'm asking is because my boss wants to set up a dedicated >distiller-server, that we will send ps-files to, to be distilled. >But from my experience, i get less failure if I print 'directly' to >distiller from the application I'm using. >Any comments on this welcome! We've never had a problem either way, but we're a very small design outfit where 95% of the work is created and produced inhouse from just three apps: Quirk, Photoshop and Illustrator. Writing to PDF directly from Quirk rather than writing fat PS first produces identical results. The only advantage writing PS has for us is that...

How to print a file come from "print to file" ?
Hi, Many languages and software can "print to a file" , any way to open and print the 'print to file' file ? Best regards Shuming Wang In article <3ac60ec6.0311290302.731ee4d7@posting.google.com> Wangshuming@xtech.com.cn "Shuming Wang" writes: > Hi, > Many languages and software can "print to a file" , any way to open > and print the 'print to file' file ? run ("copy " + print_to_file_file + " PRN") Assuming the question is something to do with Clipper... Pete -- "We have not inhe...

How to print a raw file (print ready file) through USB port in MS Windows?
Hi, all: I have a print ready file (PCL or PS format) to send to a printer through USB port. But my platform is Win2k. Is there any method to directly send the job through USB port to the printer in Win2k? (just like "cat abc.ps > dev/usb/lp0" in linux) thanks for any advice, johny ...

unix command to print a pdf file

How to print a raw file (print ready file) through USB port in MS Windows?
Hi, all: I have a print ready file (PCL or PS format) to send to a printer through USB port. But my platform is Win2k. Is there any method to directly send the job through USB port to the printer in Win2k? (just like "cat abc.ps > dev/usb/lp0" in linux) thanks for any advice, johny ...

Printing to a File in AIX 5.3
I am trying to find a easy way to get data out from a applikation which only use print-spooling. Iygot a "plain-ascii" print driver but I hav tryed to get the AIX-spooling system to write to a file AND make a new one every time NOT appending !!! Does any one have a good idea ?? Regards Jesper from Denmark. jesper wrote: > I am trying to find a easy way to get data out from a applikation which > only use print-spooling. > Iygot a "plain-ascii" print driver but I hav tryed to get the > AIX-spooling system to write to a file AND make a new one every time NOT > appending !!! > Does any one have a good idea ?? > > Regards > Jesper from Denmark. 1. vi /etc/qconfig locate the backend line for your print que to look like backend = your_script_name -----> enter the full path. your_script_name should look like this: ##################################################### VF=$@ umask 0 m_fn="`echo $VF|awk '{print $NF}'`" m_dt=`date +%y/%m/%d-%H:%M:%S` m_file=/tmp/copy_of_print.${$m_dt} /bin/cat $m_fn > $m_file /usr/lib/lpd/rembak $VF ############################################################# hope it helps >> I am trying to find a easy way to get data out from a applikation which >> only use print-spooling. >> Iygot a "plain-ascii" print driver but I hav tryed to get the >> AIX-spooling system to write to a file AND make a new one every time NOT >> appendin...

Print part of file
Hi all I need a solution for the below problem. I m trying to write a unix grep command for this below reqrmnt, Input file: ------------- Hello hey how are you? << i m fine, how are you doing? hows guru movie? bye >> cheers mouly the above is saved in a file called eg.txt I need a grep command which can filter out and print the content inside << >> Output: ---------- i m fine, how are you doing? hows guru movie? bye Any ideas or clues?? how to do this in UNIX grep or any commands??? whats the appropriate regular expression we can use? Mouly wrote...

print dos format file into unix format
Suppose I have a dos format text file. The following python code will print ^M at the end. I'm wondering how to print it in unix format. fh = open(options.filename) for line in fh.readlines() print line, Thanks, Peng On 21 Oct 2006 15:17:47 -0700, "PengYu.UT@gmail.com" <PengYu.UT@gmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python: > Suppose I have a dos format text file. The following python code will > print ^M at the end. I'm wondering how to print it in unix format. > > fh = open(options.filename) > for line in fh.readlines() > print l...

How to unzip and install the files in AIX 5.3 Unix Server
Hi Unix Group Mates, I would like to seek your advice. I'm trying to upgrade the zip and unzip utilities for our AIX 5.3 Unix Server. I have download the installer to my local notebook. However I don't know how to install this to the server. I'm really looking forward for my friends reply here. Many thanks in advance. I really appreciate all of your help. Best Regards, Afeena, Malaysia On 8 fev, 09:49, "afeena83" <fina...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Unix Group Mates, > I would like to seek your advice. I'm trying to upgrade the zip and > unzip utilities for our AIX 5.3 Unix Server. I have download the > installer to my local notebook. However I don't know how to install > this to the server. > I'm really looking forward for my friends reply here. > Many thanks in advance. > > I really appreciate all of your help. > > Best Regards, > Afeena, Malaysia I'm considering that zip/unzip are in bff format. You have to copy this file to a temporary directory (if FTP copy, use binary format), run "inutoc ." and then execute "smitty install_latest". If it's a RPM package, it must be for AIX. Copy it to a temporary directory then upgrade like you would do in linux (rpm -Uvh <package>). Anderson ...

Printing PostScript file from UNIX to Windows PrintServer (lpr ....) HELP IS NEEDED!!
Hi everyone. I'm have a question which is not really simple to describe but i hope most of you can follow me an understand what problem i do have. I'm trying to print a PostScript file from a Sun Solaris Server to a Printer which is connected to a Windows NT 4 PrintServer. I'm using the command lpr - h -h -P printserver_nt:hp_5000 testfile.ps the printserver is located in another office in another country. the printer is available but he will not print out the proper postscript file. all it does is printing the content of the file testfile.ps the printer however supports po...

aix to aix file transfer hangs
Hi All, I need help transfering files from one aix box to another, both boxes are: * Running on a IBM P690 Regatta LPAR * * AIX Version 5.2.0-ML1 I downloaded the latest daily source and built the version for AIX 5.2 at the kermit prompt found a script called "deliver", I typed: set host server2 kermit responded with: server2.com connected on port telnet i typed the letter C and then logged into the remote machine so far so good.... on the remote machine I started kermit then used the ctrl-\ c to return so far still ok.... ...

Difference between HP Unix and Unix AIX
What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? Is there any ? dlprogress wrote: > What are the difference between HP Unix and HP AIX at command line ??? > Is there any ? > > Unless you're getting into system dependent stuff, no, there's no real difference. However, one real difference is that AIX is an IBM and not an HP product. -- Fletcher Glenn ...

seeking OSX (or maybe even unix) prgrammer to develop app for converting midi files into new graphic notation for printing
This is all prototype work right now and it doesn't need a pretty user interface; it just has to read a midi file, make a conversion and then print it out on letter size paper. I'd prefer to work with someone in the southern California area... L.A. or Orange County, but I'll consider anything. If you're interested or know someone who might be able to do this, please contact me at the email below. Thanks Heron -- unDO email address ___ Nature, heron stone to be commanded, mailto:heronstoneDO@comcast....

Dos file editor for bigger than 64k files ?
Anyone knows a file editor able to read more than 64k big files under DOS ? TIA !! The best (i know) is SET-Edit! http://setedit.sf.net Bye, Flo MoiMeme wrote: > Anyone knows a file editor able to read more than 64k big files under DOS ? > > TIA !! > > > In article <43b43a0b$0$32164$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be> moimeme@be.uk "MoiMeme" writes: > Anyone knows a file editor able to read more than 64k big files under DOS ? > > TIA !! <cue religious editor war...> QEdit or TSE -- both from www.semware....

UNIX header files to Windows header files
Hi, I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler). The following header files arent available in windows: #include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/socketvar.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <netdb.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows versions of these? Thanks! anand.ba@gmail.com wrote: > > I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler). &g...

Printing from SCO Unix to an NT print Queue
Hello, We have an application running on SCO Unix. We are trying to print reports from this program to a print queue on a server running Windows Server 2003. We are able to print to the desired printer, but the formatting is incorrect. We need the output to be set at 17 Characters Per Inch (CPI) but it is printing at 10 CPI. I have tried to change the settings on the Unix box (/etc/lp/interfaces/* and /etc/lp/printers/*) but these changes don't seem to make any difference. I'm guessing that when the print job is sent, the Unix system isn't processing these config files and simply passes the print request to our windows server. Due to limitations in the windows drivers, we are not able to set CPI and such on the windows server. Another option would be to set up the Unix queue to print directly to IP, but the jobs hang in the Unix print queue when I try to do this. Does anyone know if it is possible to have the Unix system format the print job before sending it to the windows print queue or know how to successfully set up an IP printer? Thanks! On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 darrell.brown@ensignenergy.com wrote: > Hello, > > We have an application running on SCO Unix. We are trying to print > reports from this program to a print queue on a server running Windows > Server 2003. We are able to print to the desired printer, but the > formatting is incorrect. We need the output to be set at 17 Characters > Per Inch (CPI) but it is printing at 10 CPI. I ha...

lp -c to print temporary print files
I've had the most bizarre experience with the lp command on AIX 6.1. We have an application which prints files by writing to a temporary directory, calling lp -c <filename>, then remove the file. To date, I've always understood the -c flag to mean copy the file before printing, which sounds good since there might be a race condition where the print subsystem attempts to read from the original file to do the printing. So this script fragment should work: lp -c /tmp/filename.txt.$$;rm -f /tmp/filename.txt.$$ However we've been getting error write messages from the printer daemon to say the file's not there, giving me my usual puzzled facial expression since that was the whole point of the "-c" flag, wasn't it? As it turns out, whether you use -c or not, the lp command does not read the file itself, but (probably) checks the file exists, then sends the filename to the print subsystem and then quits. The functional difference is that with "-c", the job would be printed from somewhere in /var/spool, while without "-c", the job would be printed from the original targeted file. However practically it has very little difference; in either case the lp command quits, allowing the script to run the rm command immediatly, opening up the race condition that the file gets deleted before the queue subsystem gets to print the file. Printing from standard input would have to spool the file first and then quit, so that seems safe....

Executable file for .m files for Cluster/UNIX
Hi all, I have a set of .m files which run successively to generate output matrix. I need to run all these .m files on cluster/UNIX. How do I write an executable file for this? Help would be appreciated. ...

Printing to a Print Wizard file via Accuterm
Not really a MV issue, but I'm sure someone here has encountered this already and can save me from slamming my head on the wall. I'm also sending it over to the QM list, just in case. I have Accuterm. I have Print Wizard. I have configured the print adapters so I see "PrintWizard PCL converter" and "PrintWizard user interface" as a pull-down menu in the Accuterm printer setup for my session. But I am getting tripped up when I print. I wind up with .tmp files under a temp folder. I want to put the output in the folder of my choice on the first job via the "PW user interface", then have it go there without me having to tell it by setting it back to the "PCL converter". Ideally I'd save these to a file as a .pdf document because I've got about 1000 or so of these to create for a deposition next week. When a real printer is on the target port and I'm not printing "to a file" I get the hardcopy output I want. So my issues are: (1) how do I get this so I can print "fire and forget" so I can whip through these this afternoon? and... (2) What step/process am I missing so that PW will automatically create PDF when it writes to a file? and.. (3) If PW won't do want I want, what will that works with Acuuterm? When I change the .tmp files to .txt I see that the correct output is all there. If push comes to shove I can live with that, but the legal beagles for both sides ha...

Serialization file getting bigger and bigger on the same object
In my application, I perform serialization on my JTable's TableModel.I realize that, even I didn't make any modification (either save ordelete data) on the JTable content, however, everytime I save theJTable's TableModel, the serialization file will getting bigger andbigger (about 2KB)It works this way1. I shut down my application. My application save JTable's TableModelto serialization file. The file size is 50 KB2. I open up my application. My application load JTable's TableModel.Everything in the JTable content restore.3. I shut down my application again, without modific...

how to invoke print devices to print text files
Hi. I am writing a Matlab GUI application in which I need to print a winword document once click the "print" button. But I have no idea about how to send the document to a printer via a print dialog. I thought to use the Matlab print command, but it gives an error saying it only deals with graphics handles. Thank you. ...

how to convert dos file to unix file in eclipse
I am working on dos environment for some java files but need to check in to unix sytem.how to convert dos file to unix file in eclipse? Thanks, David "david wolf" <yihucd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145547009.141508.69230@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I am working on dos environment for some java files but need to check > in to unix sytem.how to convert dos file to unix file in eclipse? It's probably easier if you use a seperate tool rather than Eclipse for this task. Within Eclipse, you can right click on the project and choose "properties&q...

Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print
Is there a difference between the following operations from any given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview to see how many pages there are before deciding to print. From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog > Print versus From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view then print directly from Adobe using File > Print --> print dialog > Print It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print directly from Safari. The outputs ...

File read from stdin and printed to temp file are not identicial?
Hello, I am trying to read from stdin and dump what's read to a temporary file. My code works for small files but as soon as I have a file that has, e.g., more than 300 lines, there is always one and only one line that is truncated compared to the input. Here is my code: #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #! /usr/bin/env python import sys from tempfile import * if __name__ == "__main__": data = [] f_in = NamedTemporaryFile(suffix=".txt", delete=False) for line in sys.stdin: f_in.write(line) da...

Web resources about - Printing bigger than letter siz files - comp.unix.aix

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing box in this matching game
... path in Linken, an elegant puzzler or Meteors are falling, dont get squished in Danger Dodgers . Mr Plumbum Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing ...

Injured toucan gets beak repair courtesy of 3D printing
A custom prosthetic beak-piece helps a toucan rescued from animal smugglers eat and groom normally once again. 3D printing isn't just for people ...

Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030
Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030

Pranksters scammed Nintendo fans with 3D printing and Photoshop
It's getting tougher and tougher to determine what's real on the Internet. Thanks to Photoshop and 3D printing you can create nearly anything. ...

3D Printing Your Own Braces Works, Is a Terrible Idea
At the age of nine, I became the first kid in my elementary school class to get braces. They did their job, but by the time I left college, I’d ...

Join Us at the Greatest 3D Printing Festival on Planet Earth
Winter is hanging on like clinical depression, which means it’s that time again for the greatest 3D-printing festival on the planet Earth. It’s ...

3-D Printing: Gigi The Macaw Gets First-Ever Titanium Prosthetic Beak (PHOTOS)
Gigi the macaw is the first-ever recipient of the world's first 3-D-printed titanium beak.

Archinaut, A 3D Printing Robot To Make Big Structures In Space
Historically, the only way to get anything into orbit has been by rocket; a process that is massively expensive, cumbersome, and presents a slew ...

Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air ...
Read the rest of Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air