ssh: connect to host host_name port 22: Connection refused

I get the following error when using ssh to connect to an AIX machine,
oslevel 5300-05-02,
OpenSSH_4.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g, from a similar machine, and entering
invalid passwords three times, then entering the ssh to the machine
again;

ssh: connect to host host_name port 22: Connection refused

After 30 seconds, I can ssh to the machine without the error.

I thought this was controlled in /etc/security/login.cfg with setting
these;
logindisable, logininterval and loginreenable
but they are all set to a value of 0.

Is there another place that this is set that I'm missing?

I was playing around with aixpert (aix system expert tool) and it was
after I
I ran an undo that I noticed this happening, but at the same time, I
used it to turn it
on on another similar machine and it doesn't control this whether it
was activated or
after an undo.

Ron

0
zepher95 (23)
5/4/2007 3:42:25 PM
comp.unix.aix 10962 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

On May 4, 9:42 am, Ron <zephe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I get the following error when using ssh to connect to an AIX machine,
> oslevel 5300-05-02,
> OpenSSH_4.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g, from a similar machine, and entering
> invalid passwords three times, then entering the ssh to the machine
> again;
>
> ssh: connect to host host_name port 22: Connection refused
>
> After 30 seconds, I can ssh to the machine without the error.
>
> I thought this was controlled in /etc/security/login.cfg with setting
> these;
> logindisable, logininterval and loginreenable
> but they are all set to a value of 0.
>
> Is there another place that this is set that I'm missing?
>
> I was playing around with aixpert (aix system expert tool) and it was
> after I
> I ran an undo that I noticed this happening, but at the same time, I
> used it to turn it
> on on another similar machine and it doesn't control this whether it
> was activated or
> after an undo.
>
> Ron

never mind...it was being caused from another isv product...

0
zepher95 (23)

port 22: Connection refused
Hello, I'm trying to make a remote connection via ssh on OSX and get the following error: "ssh: connect to host 192.168.xxx.x port 22: Connection refused" When I connect on the same network I have no problem, what do I need to configure to access the machine remotely from a different network? Thanks, J neridaj <neridaj@gmail.com> writes: >Hello, >I'm trying to make a remote connection via ssh on OSX and get the >following error: "ssh: connect to host 192.168.xxx.x port 22: >Connection refused" When I connect on the same network I have no >problem, what do I need to configure to access the machine remotely >from a different network? /etc/hosts.allow or firewall are my first guesses. >Thanks, >J >>>>> "Unruh" == Unruh <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> writes: Unruh> neridaj <neridaj@gmail.com> writes: >> Hello, >> I'm trying to make a remote connection via ssh on OSX and get the >> following error: "ssh: connect to host 192.168.xxx.x port 22: >> Connection refused" When I connect on the same network I have no >> problem, what do I need to configure to access the machine remotely >> from a different network? Unruh> /etc/hosts.allow or firewall are my first guesses. hosts.allow would not have that effect; the TCP connection would be established, then dropped. >> Thanks, >...

lan connection to JBoss ... connection refused but connectivity is ok...
I am trying to connect from a client on the same network - and have disabled all firewalls. I have my jboss starting with the bind address of the local ip 192.168.1.104 I can telnet to 192.168.1.104 1099 and see http://linux:8083 which is resolvable - and it ends with 192.168.1.104. I cannot (will not?) annotate my beans to hardcode the IP address... But from another client with jndi.properties of java.naming.factory.initial=org.jboss.security.jndi.LoginInitialContextFactory java.naming.provider.url=jnp://192.168.1.104:1099 java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming.cl...

Windows server, Unix client, connection refused on client connect.
Hi I developed a client-server application. //**************** client(UNIX) **************** // connect with timeout: // 1. set socket NONBLOCKING // 2. connect with timeout using select // 3. set socket to BLOCKING againg int my_connect(int sockremote, long sock_addr, short port, int timeout) { int res; struct sockaddr_in addr; long arg; fd_set myset; struct timeval tv; int valopt; socklen_t lon; addr.sin_family = AF_INET; addr.sin_port = htons(port); addr.sin_addr.s_addr = sock_addr; // Set non-blocking if( (arg = fcntl(sockremote, F_GETFL, NULL)) < 0) { ...

The connection was refused when trying to connect to ...
Wow. Really having a hard time getting my apache web server communicatiing with the outside world. I have a new install of Linux 8. My webserver works fine when used locally but get connection refused other wise. When setting up my server initially I set up with medium firewall, thinking I could modify the settings later. I have tried modifying through security settings, using lokkit and trying to modify the iptables script manually. Is it possible that it isn't the firewall settings at all and some other setting? I am fairly new to Linux and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance. -Dan danieloconnor@dbt.net (Dan) wrote in message news:<f03dc8e4.0309070535.6d8004f7@posting.google.com>... > Wow. Really having a hard time getting my apache web server > communicatiing with the outside world. I have a new install of Linux > 8. > > My webserver works fine when used locally but get connection refused > other wise. > > When setting up my server initially I set up with medium firewall, > thinking I could modify the settings later. > > I have tried modifying through security settings, using lokkit and > trying to modify the iptables script manually. > > Is it possible that it isn't the firewall settings at all and some > other setting? > > I am fairly new to Linux and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks > in advance. > > -Dan A little more info on this one... Aggrivated I ...

ssh tunnel to non standard port .... connection refused
Using intermediate server to tunnel SSH: Setup is A -> B -> C where A lets only port 22 out, C uses 8888 instead of 22. A,B,C are all valid internet ip addresses. ssh directly from B -> C works with: ssh -X -p 8888 user@C I set up the tunnel from A (whose /etc/hosts contains "127.0.0.1 localhost C") with: ssh -X -f user@B -N -L 4444:user@C:22 and the -v flag reports: local connections to LOCALHOST:4444 forwarded to remote address C:22 Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 4444 Entering interactive session. Now for sending ssh through the tunnel I use: ssh -v -X -p 8888 user@C but get "connect to C port 8888:connection refused". Here is the -v flag report: reading configuration data ~/.ssh/config (which holds "Host C port 4444") reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config (which holds only commented lines) Connecting to C [127.0.0.1] port 8888 connect to address 127.0.0.1 port 8888: refused. Connection refused is often due to authentication problems but as noted above, B->C works. Additionally both B and C have A's public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. Oddly, leaving off user in, ssh -X -p 8888 C does not work from B->C, returning "Permission denied (publickey)". I don't understand...

ftp data port cant connect while port 21 connects
hi! i've actually managed to set up a ftp cum web server on my old comp using red hat linux 9. my ftp daemon is vsftp. i'm using ip forwarding services from www.dynu.com to redirect the incoming requests. i'm sitting behind a router, which 'dmz' all requests to my server. plus i disabled all firewalls. now, there is this strange phenomenon bugging me. in my LAN, i can ftp without a hitch. out of my LAN, i can only ftp sporadically. and its always the data port tat cannot connect up. its ONLY when i use ws-ftp pro then the prb is solved. any other clients(eg, do...

unable to connect to ssh server, even though port 22 is forwarded
I am testing a ssh server by attempting to connect to it via its public IP = address. For some reason 'ssh -p 22 1.2.3.4' is giving me a connection refu= sed error. The port is definitely open and forwarded according to canyouse= eme.org and I am even able to connect with http://www.serfish.com/console/. iptables could be the cause of your problems. rig9919@gmail.com wrote: > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking > > I am testing a ssh server by attempting to connect to it via its public IP address. For some reason 'ssh -p 22 1.2.3.4' is giving me a connection refused error. The port is definitely open and forwarded according to canyouseeme.org and I am even able to connect with http://www.serfish.com/console/. Hello, rig9919@gmail.com a �crit : > I am testing a ssh server by attempting to connect to it via its > public IP address. For some reason 'ssh -p 22 1.2.3.4' is giving me a > connection refused error. The port is definitely open and forwarded > according to canyouseeme.org and I am even able to connect with > http://www.serfish.com/console/. Where are you trying to connect to this server from ? Is it from a machine on the same network behind the same NAT box ? On Saturday, December 29th, 2012, at 13:54:43h -0800, Rig 9919 wrote: > I am testing a ssh server by attempting to connect to it via its public IP address. > For some reason 'ssh -p 22 1.2.3.4' is giving me a connection...

kprop: Connection refused in call to connect while opening connection to may129.chpc.vnu.edu.vn
Hi everyone, I am installing kerberos, I prepare kerberos system with two KDC named: master.ole.abc (master) slave.ole.abc (slave) I followed the installation guide until http://web.mit.edu/Kerberos/krb5-1.6/krb5-1.6.2/doc/krb5-install.html#Propagate-the-Database-to-Each-Slave-KDC I got an error when I did : kprop -f /opt/krb5-1.6.1/var/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans slave.ole.abc and the error : kprop: Connection refused in call to connect while opening connection to slave.ole.abc I have search google and found someone said that let "kpropd" running in slave KDC. But when I enter command "kpropd" on slave KDC, I got: # kpropd kpropd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket Please help. -- Le Trung Kien. ...

Problems Connecting... Connection Refused Error...
hi, i am using Eudora 5.2.1 on WIN 2000 Pro... I have patched with MS Blaster and Symnatec FixBlaster tool has not found any Worm on my PC... Since Aug. 16, I am having difficulty connecting my mail servers to retrieve emails. On the same network, I have no problem accessing from other computers. I have re-installed Eudora but problem still persists. I can ping mail servers and access Internet fine.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Error: Connection Refused (While Login Process)... Regards, Demi ...

Client can't connect to the default port, but can connect to other ports
I am not able to connect to the sshd running on default port, but if I run a new sshd at a specific port, I can connect to it. Here are debug outputs from the two calls. syslogs don't show anything either. Can someone please help me solve this problem. ================= ps -ef ================= [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ps -ef | grep sshd root 5114 1 0 Aug12 ? 00:00:05 /usr/sbin/sshd root 19131 1 0 Aug17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -p 10111 namit 30922 19148 0 09:52 pts/6 00:00:00 grep sshd [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ================= Default port ================= [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ssh -v localhost OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_dsa type 2 debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH* debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0 debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none debug1: kex: client->s...

connect timed out while connecting to a host on loopback
I have two applications running on a same host- ssl_proxy and a http server. Once ssl_proxy recieves a message from a http client it connects to the http server locally. It then send the http request from client to the server and server's response back to the client. But in this setup I am facing a problem. SSL_prosy gets connection timed out error while connecting to the http server. It is connecting to the server via the loopback interface. I am using INET sockets. Can anyone tell me what might be the issue. This issue arises only if I have 2 interfaces configured. With a single interface configured this issue doesnt arise. Regards Pratik ...

connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
Hello, i try to build an MPI-Cluster with Ubuntu-9-04. The helle exampel works fine but when i use MPI_Bcast or MPI_Reduce i get these error [1]. How can i solve this? SSH works fine in both directions. Regards, Stefan Kuhne -- [1]: [Head][[4950,1],0][../../../../../../ompi/mca/btl/tcp/btl_tcp_endpoint.c:631:mca_btl_tcp_endpoint_complete_connect] connect() failed: Connection refused (111) Stefan Kuhne schrieb: > Hello, > > i try to build an MPI-Cluster with Ubuntu-9-04. > The helle exampel works fine but when i use MPI_Bcast or MPI_Reduce i > get these error [1]. > > How can i solve this? > SSH works fine in both directions. > My Nodes are in virtualBox under Windows Vista, i think Vista is my problem. Anyone an idea? Regards, Stefan Kuhne Stefan Kuhne schrieb: > Stefan Kuhne schrieb: >> Hello, >> >> i try to build an MPI-Cluster with Ubuntu-9-04. >> The helle exampel works fine but when i use MPI_Bcast or MPI_Reduce i >> get these error [1]. >> >> How can i solve this? > It is solved. Multi Network is my Problem. "--mca btl_tcp_if_exclude lo,eth0" has solved it. Stefan Kuhne I know there will be some one who can help me in solving this problem. I can compile my helloworld.c program using mpicc and I have confirmed that the script runs correctly on another working cluster, so the local paths are set up correctly I think and the s...

Re: rndc: connect failed: connection refused
> Hi all > I' am use Bind 9.2.2 > I want to have my one Namessever ns1.helpme.ch > *********************************************** > when I do a command like: > root@linux:/etc# rndc reload > I become this fault message. > rndc: connect failed: connection refused > ********************************************** > what is wrong hier is my rndc.conf: > > # Start of rndc.conf > key "rndc-key" { > algorithm hmac-md5; > secret "+vDJ4dRcQ+w1iGP/oLNm2Q=="; > }; > > options { > default-key "rndc-key"; > default-server 192.168.1.247; > default-port 953; > }; > # End of rndc.conf > > # Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed: > # key "rndc-key" { > # algorithm hmac-md5; > # secret "PWdKhKOfc9+OV+9RJAHsNg=="; > # }; > # > # controls { > # inet 127.0.0.1 port 953 > # allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; }; > # }; > # End of named.conf > ~ > ******************************************************** > Thanks for any help� > Johnny Well you have only shown half of the configuration. What do you have in controls in named.conf? The above uncommented or have you changed the address to match that in rndc.conf? Mark -- Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortiu...

I've a strange problem: URL sourceURL = new URL( url ); BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader( new InputStreamReader( sourceURL.openStream() ) ); String buffer; while(!(null==(buffer=in.readLine()) ) ) { System.out.println("read in " + buffer +"\n"); } works fine for url: http://de.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=@HDAX.DE&f=snxlcvi and several other urls. however fails for url: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=+^FTMC+@FTMC_AE.L&f=snlcvi java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect The very same url can be opened in e.g. Mozilla without any p...

connection reset when trying connection port 80
Hi all I am trying to debug the following problem: When I have PC users on the LAN try to connnect to "*.myspace.com", there is a long wait, followed by the remore host sending a RST, and then even stranger, the NAT gateway here, pushes out a "private address", to which the router just baulks (I would expect). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on. There are a couple of other issues with a handful of websites, but this is my starting point of investigation. TIA Any help would be greatly appreciated. A layout and packet trace are below. S...

Connect fails: Connection Refuse on HP-UX.
Hi all, I have a server running on HP-UX machine. When I try to connect a HP-UX client to the server using TCP/IP, it fails. The reason is connection refused. What is the possible cause? Fyi, my server has yet to receive any connections. -HS Hon Seng Phuah wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a server running on HP-UX machine. When I try to connect a > HP-UX client to the server using TCP/IP, it fails. The reason is > connection refused. > > What is the possible cause? Fyi, my server has yet to receive any > connections. Wrong port number, wrong IP adress or sg else... fi...

Apache warning: Connection refused: connect to listener
I just installed Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47 OpenSSL/0.9.7b in my server and everything seems to be working fine. I have apache configured to server both secure and insecure pages. However, I keep getting the following line in my error log file: [Wed Sep 24 12:51:15 2003] [warn] (61)Connection refused: connect to listener This happens over and over, especially when I first start the server (but not always), and also randomly during operation. There are no other warnings or errors in my log file. I don't notice any problems with my web pages, but I don't like seei...

possible? ssh-connection as XP- network connection
Hello I'm using Win XP and SSH 3.2.0 to etablish a SSH2 connection to a server. Everything works fine. I wonder if there is an XP-tool that you can establish an network drive in XP which uses the ssh2 protocol. So that i can access the files on the server direct from any windows program using the open/save command. Please don't tell me that i need to make modifications on the server (install samba ect.). I just want to make modifications on my windows-client. I don't have administrator rights on the server. Thanks for any help, Bernd > I'm using Win XP and SSH 3.2.0 to etablish a SSH2 connection to a > server. Everything works fine. > > I wonder if there is an XP-tool that you can establish an > network drive in XP which uses the ssh2 protocol. So that i can access > the files on the server direct from any windows program using the > open/save command. Not directly, that I'm aware of. You can tunnel 139/tcp via ssh, and then try to set up a network drive against localhost. But I never had any success with that approach. In the end, a lot of people give up on this idea and go with a better one: work locally, then synchronize your files with the server using Unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/). This approach has important advantages. Unison will use ssh as its network transport for secure transfers, but it's much more bandwidth-efficient. If you have a remotely mounted share drive, any time you...

Connecting to UNIX/LINUX without SAS/CONNECT
I was wondering if it is possible to make a connection to a remote server running LINUX/UNIX using DOS commands instead of SAS/CONNECT? Here's the context: usually I have been achiving this using SAS/CONNECT to get to the remote server, but finding SAS/CONNECT fails intermittantly, and all I am doing after I get the connection to the remote server is submitting system commands using data _null_ and call system, so use of SAS/CONNECT is kind of overkill. What I am looking for is a more direct approach which by-passes SAS/CONNECT. Here's what I am thinking it should look like, submit this on PC: data _null_; length code $ 32367; code = "telnet servername; sas /mydirectory/myprogram.sas; disconnect"; call system(code); run; I would not want this to pop-up a telnet window, just submit the "sas /mydirectory/myprogram.sas" in the background. Any ideas? - Paul Paul W., You probably have an FTP server running on UNIX. I would try using FILENAME FTP which allows for OS commands on the remote server to be issued via rcmd site option. I am leaving the exploratory part to you. Kind regards ---------------- Paul Dorfman Jax, FL ---------------- -------------- Original message from Paul Walker <walker.627@OSU.EDU>: -------------- > I was wondering if it is possible to make a connection to a remote server > running LINUX/UNIX using DOS commands instead of SAS/CONNECT? > > Here's the context: usually I have been achiving...

SSH connection script connecting to Cisco devices

rndc: connect failed: connection refused #2
[...]

Re: rndc: connect failed: connection refused #6
Thank You all:) Steve, I have for some reason two named binaries, one /usr/sbin/named and the other /usr/local/sbin/named which named returns the /usr/local path By adding the path of named to the startup script has solved the problem Thanks again Greg At 19:44 17/10/2004, Steve Sandau wrote: ><successful startup sniped> > >> > >>if I then restart using the command > >> > >>/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart > >> > >>I just get > >> > >>Oct 17 18:21:31 dedi5 named[6183]: starting BIND 9.2.1 -u named > >>Oct 17 18:21:31 dedi5 named[6183]: using 1 CPU > >>Oct 17 18:21:31 dedi5 named: named startup succeeded > >> > >>If I then do > >> > >>ps aux|grep named > >> > >>it returns no running processes and named is not running > >> > >>I note that it doesn't appear to be loading the conf file when using the > >>startup script > > > > > > -d debug-level Set the daemons debug level to debug-level. > > Debugging traces from named become more verbose > as the > > debug level increases. > > -f Run the server in the foreground (i.e. do not daemonize). > > -g Run the server in the foreground and force all logging > > to stder...

Knoppix
Hi Folks, I've been trying to walk some friends through getting sshd running on their machine which runs off a knoppix cd at the moment. We've had some problems. Currently, my connection is being refused when i try to log into ssh from a remote machine. These are the commands I run after booting: cd /etc/ssh ssh-keygen -t rsa1 -f ssh_host_key -C '' -N '' chmod 600 ssh_host_key chmod 600 ssh_host_key chmod 644 ssh_host_key.pub ssh-keygen -t rsa -f ssh_host_rsa_key -C '' -N '' chmod 600 ssh_host_rsa_key chmod 644 ssh_host_rsa_key.pub ssh-keygen -t dsa...

ssh connections hang; un-hang on subsequent connection
I'm experiencing a strange problem with ssh connections to my ssh server at home. I suspect it might have something to do with either my firewall or my DSL hardware, but as I'm not certain I thought I'd ask here to find out if anyone's seen this behavior before. In a nutshell, I can make an initial connection to my ssh server fine. The problem is if I make a second connection, and exit, the first connection will frequently "freeze" and the session will not respond. When I re-connect with ssh (or sftp), the first session "thaws" and all the keystrokes I had sent that appeared to not have made it to the server happen all at once. Then both connections operate normally. But if I disconnect the second connection, the initial connection again freezes. I haven't been keeping track of when this occurs, but it's fair to say that it happens every time I make and disconnect a second ssh connection to my server. It also occurs when I connect with a second session and disconnect the first one. When I re-connect to "thaw" the frozen session, there is no precise point that I can tell when things return to normal. It seems that all I have to do is ssh to my server and hit <Ctrl-C> when the passphrase prompts. The first session will thaw for anywhere from a minute to several minutes before it freezes again. I experience this most often at work, when I ssh to home. A friend with a different ISP half-way around the country ha...

Web resources about - ssh: connect to host host_name port 22: Connection refused - comp.unix.aix

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

7 Minnesota Connections To The NCAA Tournament
The Gophers aren't a part of March Madness, but there are enough Minnesota connections to the Big Dance to keep local fans engaged in the action ...

Young people prefer an Internet connection to daylight
Technically Incorrect: A UK survey suggests that daylight isn't all that at least in young people's enlightened minds. Neither is hot water. ...

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Other Sports: For first time, NFL acknowledges connection between football-related brain trauma, CTE ...
In what could be a watershed moment in the debate about the long-term effects of head injuries in the nation's most popular sport, the NFL's ...

‘Daredevil’ Star Deborah Ann Woll Talks Karen Page’s “Screwed Up” Connection To The Punisher
Which crime classic did she read to nail their “cat and mouse” relationship?

'Bringing Up Bates': 5 Surprising Connections Between Bates And '19 Kids' Duggar Families
... On" in several surprising ways. From the way they deal with relationships to their parenting similarities, here are five surprising connections ...