Stopping sendmail from listenning (sendmail: accepting connections)

I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
configured only to send outgoing mail only and refusing external
connections.

Can someone have a clue?

thanks,
JP.
0
jphblais (10)
12/14/2004 2:50:17 PM
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

Dale Talcott wrote:

> Jean-Philippe Blais <jphblais@zinfo.ca> writes:
>
>>I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
>>configured only to send outgoing mail and refusing external
>>connections.
>
> We use -d99.100 -q30m on the command line, along with a sendmail.cf with
> masquerading and a smart host defined.

Hi,

thank you for the answer.

How do we define the smart host and masquerading?  I'm looking in
sendmail.cf and it is very confusing.

Thanks,
JP.
0
jphblais (10)
12/14/2004 8:28:26 PM
Jean-Philippe Blais wrote:

> I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
> configured only to send outgoing mail only and refusing external
> connections.

The easiest was is to stop sendmail (i.e. comment it in rc.net).
Then set a smarthost (DS) for any mail going from this system.

--
Michael Prix

Jean-Philippe Blais <jphblais@zinfo.ca> writes:

>I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
>configured only to send outgoing mail and refusing external
>connections.

We use -d99.100 -q30m on the command line, along with a sendmail.cf with
masquerading and a smart host defined.

--
Dale Talcott, Rosen Center for Advanced Computing, Purdue University
aeh@quest.cc.purdue.edu         http://quest.cc.purdue.edu/~aeh/
Michael Prix wrote:
> Jean-Philippe Blais wrote:
>

>>I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
>>configured only to send outgoing mail only and refusing external
>>connections.
>

> The easiest was is to stop sendmail (i.e. comment it in rc.net).
> Then set a smarthost (DS) for any mail going from this system.

But you need to start sendmail too, only with the -q flag.
without sendmail runing, if a message cannot be sent to the smarthost
(network error, host down...) it will stay in the spool indefinitly.
sendmail -q30m  will not listen connections put check if any message is
waiting in the spool area every 30mn.

Patrick
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:59:22 +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:

> Michael Prix wrote:
>> Jean-Philippe Blais wrote:
>>

>>>I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail
>>>configured only to send outgoing mail only and refusing external
>>>connections.
>>

>> The easiest was is to stop sendmail (i.e. comment it in rc.net). Then
>> set a smarthost (DS) for any mail going from this system.
>>

> But you need to start sendmail too, only with the -q flag. without
> sendmail runing, if a message cannot be sent to the smarthost (network
> error, host down...) it will stay in the spool indefinitly. sendmail -q30m
>  will not listen connections put check if any message is waiting in the
> spool area every 30mn.
>
> Patrick

There are some MUAs that may try to open a loopback connection to
sendmail, and get upset if they can't.  I've used

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA,Port=smtp,Addr=localhost')dnl

in the .mc file so it doesn't bind to any external port, yet I don't have
to modify rc.* or any SRC info.

--
George Baltz  N3GB
Computer Sciences Corp			Rule of thumb: ANYthing offered

George Baltz wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:59:22 +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:
>

>>Michael Prix wrote:

>>>The easiest was is to stop sendmail (i.e. comment it in rc.net). Then
>>>set a smarthost (DS) for any mail going from this system.
>>>

>>But you need to start sendmail too, only with the -q flag. without
>>sendmail runing, if a message cannot be sent to the smarthost (network
>>error, host down...) it will stay in the spool indefinitly. sendmail -q30m
>> will not listen connections put check if any message is waiting in the
>>spool area every 30mn.
>>
>>Patrick
>

> There are some MUAs that may try to open a loopback connection to
> sendmail, and get upset if they can't.  I've used
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA,Port=smtp,Addr=localhost')dnl
>
> in the .mc file so it doesn't bind to any external port, yet I don't have
> to modify rc.* or any SRC info.

FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,Name=MTA')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`myhostname.mydomain.com')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp:mail.mydomain.com')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

compile it with m4 to generate sendmail.cf, place it in /etc/mail and
run refresh -s sendmail and you'll have send-only sendmail configuration.
0
vlad7781 (17)

sendmail not accepting connections at all
On my old HM 7.3 box sendmail 8.12.10 + amavis + spamassassin is working without problems. I installed a new box with RH 9 and started with a clean and fresh install of sendmail. I compiled and installed it but when I start it, it isnt accepting connections at all. ps -ef root 8752 1 0 10:19 ? 00:00:00 [sendmail] /var/log/maillog Dec 29 10:19:04 fs1-herby sendmail[8752]: starting daemon (8.12.10): queueing@01:00:00 O DaemonPortOptions=port=smtp, addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA I tried different settings but it wont Listen on any port. DNS is working great and MX also. For some reason it wont accepting connections at all. Any idea's .... Thanks in advance Herby On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:30:24 +0100 Herby wrote: > On my old HM 7.3 box sendmail 8.12.10 + amavis + spamassassin is > working without problems. > > I installed a new box with RH 9 and started with a clean and fresh > install of sendmail. I compiled and installed it but when I start it, > it isnt accepting connections at all. > > > ps -ef > root 8752 1 0 10:19 ? 00:00:00 [sendmail] > > /var/log/maillog > Dec 29 10:19:04 fs1-herby sendmail[8752]: starting daemon (8.12.10): > queueing@01:00:00 > > O DaemonPortOptions=port=smtp, addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA > I tried different settings but it wont Listen on any port. addr=127.0.0.1 means that the daemon is only listening on localhost and will not get any connection on any othe...

Sendmail smtp does not accept connections
I have Freebsd 5.2.1 servers and am using the default sendmail 8.12.10 on one server and 8.12.11 on another. I am not able to send mail to my servers or even telnet my servers at port 25 (when sendmail is running) until I run 'sendmail -bd -q30m' (which starts another sendmail daemon). So my system has 3 sendmail daemons instead of 2. Two daemons accepting connections and one for the Queue runner. What is wrong with the first daemon started by sendmail (make start in /etc/mail)? Is it something to do with sendmail.cf? I didn't make much changes to the default configuration. Anybody has any clue? Thank you in anticipation David zzzzsg@yahoo.com I've found the answer. The 'daemon' started by 'make start' isn't really a daemon although it shows up in ps -ax ? Anyway, I added the line sendmail_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf and everything is okay now. Don't know if linux is the same. Linux doesn't have /etc/rc.conf zzzzsg@yahoo.com (RichardG) wrote in message news:<c1341e67.0410151024.4dd626e5@posting.google.com>... > I have Freebsd 5.2.1 servers and am using the default sendmail 8.12.10 > on one server and 8.12.11 on another. > > I am not able to send mail to my servers or even telnet my servers at > port 25 (when sendmail is running) until I run 'sendmail -bd -q30m' > (which starts another sendmail daemon). So my system has 3 sendmail > daemons instead of 2. Two da...

Help
I've been having the same problem for 2 weeks now. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. We are using both SQL and Windows Authentication. I was running a Profiler Trace at the time, and am going through it now but have not seen anything yet. Thanks in advance. About once a week, at no fixed time (but so far, between 8am and 11am), my SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 (8.00.679) will stop responding. New connections will at first take forever to connect, then an error message about the PreLoginHandshake(). We have to kill the service (read below) to stop it, but it comes back without problems. The very first time this happened, I got buf latch errors in the SQL Error Log, but not this time. (However, the first time we waited for about 5 minutes after it stopped responding , and then the buf latch error message showed up. This time we restarted the services before 5 minutes had passed.) The SQL log shows nothing abnormal. The SQL Agent log shows nothing abnormal. The Event Log shows nothing abnormal. Stopping the service through the SQL Service Manager doesn't work - we have to go into the Services control panel, stop the Agent then stop the service, and when the service says that it cannot be killed, we then run the "kill" command on it (from the resource kit, I believe) and it stops immediately. Once this occurs, we can use the SQL Service manager to start everything up successfully, with no problems in the logs. Note: we have no...

Sendmail slow accepting connections
Hello: Just discovered a problem with our server today that I wanted to share. Original problem was that sendmail 8.13.6 was very slow on accepting connections from internal/external hosts on our network. Connecting from the local host to the SMTP port was the only way to get it to connect quickly. We discovered the issue was from the ORDB.org blackhole list being shut down on Dec 18 2006. After removing the entry in sendmail.mc for this blacklist everything is back to normal. -- Chris ...

sendmail
Ok, I feel like a dork. I know this has got to be a really easy issue, but I sure can't seem to find it. New install of Fedora core 1. yum updated all the packages (incl. sendmail). modified sendmail.mc and changed DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl to dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl can issue telnet localhost 25 and get a response. However, nothing is coming in. Telnet to the host from elsewhere using port 25 goes unanswered. What am I missing? --� + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes Usenet really is all about standing around and hitting the ground with clubs, on a spot where many years earlier a dead horse lay. Chris Barnes wrote: > modified sendmail.mc and changed > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl > to > dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl and you created a new cf file, installed it, and restarted the daemon, right? Check on which address the daemon is listening, e.g., netstat -f inet -a | egrep 'smtp|25' -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? "Chris Barnes&...

sendmail does not accept connections from time to time
hi, i have a small problem with a big impact. sometimes after restarting sendmail (by using /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart or the script in /etc/init.d) it doesn't accept connections. ps -ef |grep acc shows me nothing... then i restart it again an then i can see "sendmail: accpeting connection". i can replicate it by restarting sendmail a couple of times and from time to time it doesn't accept connections i'm running sendmail 8.13 (sendmail-8.13.1-5) on Suse Linux 9.2 **** hosting:/usr/local/confixx # /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart; ps -ef |grep acc Shutting down SMTP port done Initializing SMTP port (sendmail) done root 25277 1 0 14:20 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections root 25284 18331 0 14:20 pts/0 00:00:00 grep acc hosting:/usr/local/confixx # /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart; ps -ef |grep acc Shutting down SMTP port done Initializing SMTP port (sendmail) done root 25308 1 0 14:20 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections root 25315 18331 0 14:20 pts/0 00:00:00 grep acc hosting:/usr/local/confixx # /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart; ps -ef |grep acc Shutting down SMTP port done Initializing SMTP port (sendmail) done root 25407 18331 0 14:21 pts/0 00...

Looking to make sendmail accept more inbound connections...
Dear All, I'm looking for some help with an issue we are experiencing... Our current setup has3 servers running only Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam filters feeding 3 downstream servers that handle all mail delivery. The 3 downstream servers are all running sendmail 8.11.2 in daemon mode (sendmail -bd). On these servers we have not established and QueueLA or RefuseLA parameters, simply -bd, but the AV and AS servers are having trouble connecting to these downstream servers. The way it is setup, when mail comes into us the 3 front-end servers try to open a proxy tunnel onto port 25 on the downstream servers. If they can't the server defers connection... This seems to happen about every minute or 2, and the downstream servers have spawned 419, 254, and 180 sendmail -bd processes respectively. Now the 3 servers all have equal weight in DNS, priority 10, but yet the last box seems to not be able to make as many connections? The 3 downstream boxes are all running the same hardward and sendmail package? Is there a way to open it up more than it is with the sendmail -bd?? We have not set a limit on these downstream servers and they should simply act as relay servers, but the boxes don't seem to be taking in as much mail as they should?? If you have any pointers or tips to start with I would greatly appreciate it. I look foward to all responses. Thanks for your time, Mark ...

Connecting to Sendmail
I can't connect to sendmail from a client. Is there a firewall setting that should specifically open up a port (110 I think) or am I doing somethin wrong on the client. Server is RH 9.0 running sendmail... Thanks Peter Hi Peter, "Peter" <zpetero@netscape.net> wrote in message news:5f09c2fb.0311101340.326bc576@posting.google.com... > I can't connect to sendmail from a client. Is there a firewall > setting that should specifically open up a port (110 I think) or am I > doing somethin wrong on the client. > Normaly sendmail runs on port 25. (smtp) you can try to connect to it using telnet: "telnet <IP-ADDRESS> 25" on the host self, you can use "netstat -a" to see if sendmail is running. Goodluck -Andree "Peter" <zpetero@netscape.net> wrote in message news:5f09c2fb.0311101340.326bc576@posting.google.com > I can't connect to sendmail from a client. Is there a firewall > setting that should specifically open up a port (110 I think) or am I > doing somethin wrong on the client. > Server is RH 9.0 running sendmail... Pat attention to 1) at the following post: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3ec44915_2@corp.newsgroups.com Rebuild the sendmail.cf file and restart sendmail after making the change to sendmail.mc. Also, get familiar with the FAQs. Your question has been answered many, many, many times: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section5.html#5.3.1.3 tony -...

sendmail connection
I have a wbel4 box that acts as an internet gateway. I am also trying to get it to act as an internal mail server. I am using iptables masq to nat people from lan 192.168.1.0 to network 192.168.0.0. I can connect to sendmail from localhost I can connect to sendmail from 192.168.0.0 I cannot connect from 192.168.1.0 Any ideas? Sendmail is accepting connections on any device Ed ...

Sendmail/Sendmail Processes Hanging
Hi there, I have a problem with my RedHat 7.2 (2.4.18-26.7.x kernel) box and sendmail. We have recently been finding many many stuck sendmail processes where seemingly the first process freezes and all later ones then start but fail to log or complete in any way. We were running an old (8.11) version of sendmail so I have upgraded from source to the latest 8.13.6 and replaced the binary and config files ok. The new version runs fine and all seems to work. But... the problem continues. I have attached a copy of the relevant parts of a ps and netstat etc... below. I thought this might be some sort of DoS hence the upgrade and I also tinkered with timeouts but with no joy. One thing that has changed from 8.11 to 8.13 is that under 8.11 as well as cmd read and data states some of the frozen connections were showing "child wait". Any help most gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Dave. SENDMAIL.MC: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $') undefine(`UUCP_RELAY') undefine(`BITNET_RELAY') define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true) define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail') define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`mail.ourdomain.com') define(`confTO_COMMAND',`2m') define(`confQUEUE_LA',8) define(`confREFUSE_LA',12) define(`confDELAY_LA',4) define(`confTO_DATABLOCK',`5m') define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',`Sendmail Mailer; $b') OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dn...

sendmail and cyrus
until now i have a mailserver (based on SuSE 8.2) that delivers incoming mail to /var/spool/mail and users get it via pop3/qpopper. now i want imap access and installed cyrus. cyrus seems to work, (windows-) clients can access it and create new mailboxes. but incoming mail does not appear there. it still goes to /var/spool/mail. how should this work if it worked? does cyrus fetch the mail from /var/spool/mail or must sendmail deliver it straight to cyrus? cyrus documentation does not loose a word over sendmail and vice versa. what piece of configuration is missing here? does anyone know how to manage this for a SuSE-System? In article <3pb131-nhq.ln1@CD1.lan>, Martin M�ller <1205@baer-gmbh.com> wrote: > how should this work if it worked? does cyrus fetch the mail from > /var/spool/mail or must sendmail deliver it straight to cyrus? > cyrus documentation does not loose a word over sendmail and vice versa. Cyrus uses its own database for storing messages. I agree that the Cyrus documentation is not the best... > what piece of configuration is missing here? > does anyone know how to manage this for a SuSE-System? I am running Cyrus on a FreeBSD box, but the sendmail configuration should be the same. I have the following 2 lines in my sendmail.mc file. These have the affect of sending all messages received to Cyrus. define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl MAILER(`cyrusv2')dnl -- David Hewett I don't recommend sending e-mail t...

Sendmail and AIX
Can anyone tell me (I've never had to look up the issue until recently with big emails (attch ~20MB and more) why sendmail's Mlocal for AIX 4.3 is /bin/bellmail with ARGs of "mail -F $g $u". (That's the stock default from IBM and sendmail.org's install of sendmail.cf) They are different programs --- I'm presently getting this error: Jul 25 12:43:13 bkamen-0 sendmail[12398]: i6N7kY1p012680: to=<recipt@thisdomain.com>, ctladdr=<sender@thatdomain.com> (504/500), delay=2+09:56:38, xdelay=00:00:20, mailer=local, pri=30411793, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: local mailer (/bin/bellmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL the queue file in mqueue is like 19.9MB This seems to be an issue with all really big emails... Thanks, -Ben Ben Kamen wrote: > Can anyone tell me (I've never had to look up the issue until recently > with big emails (attch ~20MB and more) why sendmail's Mlocal for AIX 4.3 > is /bin/bellmail with ARGs of "mail -F $g $u". (That's the stock default > from IBM and sendmail.org's install of sendmail.cf) > > They are different programs --- > > I'm presently getting this error: > > Jul 25 12:43:13 bkamen-0 sendmail[12398]: i6N7kY1p012680: > to=<recipt@thisdomain.com>, ctladdr=<sender@thatdomain.com> (504/500), > delay=2+09:56:38, xdelay=00:00:20, mailer=local, pri=30411793, > dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: local mailer (/bin/bellmail) exited...

[Sendmail] Strange sendmail log...
Hello. I ran linux web+sendmail server for years. Recently i was noticed that my server appointed as spam mail sending black list. When i look into my sendmail log, it was surprising. Some Brizilian spammers are sending massive spam mail via my box. I think there was some hole in user name "apache". Now i'm changed username apache --> apache2, but it is same. Sendmail Version = starting daemon (8.13.4): SMTP+queueing@01:00:00 ---- sendmail log. Jun 3 18:50:47 node sendmail[16954]: j539ojU6016954: from=<>, size=4982, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20050603141608.BD64019016@zion.a lanet.com.br>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=caams.alanet.com.br [200.199.221.19] Jun 3 18:50:48 node sendmail[16955]: j539ojU6016954: to=<apache@node.cybok.com>, delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri =35188, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent Jun 3 18:51:03 node sendmail[16958]: j539p3AR016958: mx.uol.com.br [200.221.4.129] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connect ion to MTA ...... Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: dangerous permissions=40755 on queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: SYSERR(apache2): collect: Cannot write ./dfj5725180031713 (sm_io_flush||sm_io_ error, uid=1002, gid=106): Input/output error Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: from=apache2, size=4929, class=0, nrcpts=1, relay=apache2@localhost Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: 0: fl=0x0,...

sendmail ignores sendmail.cf
If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? There is even nothing like open(sendmail.cf) if i do an strace about this. See for yourself, this is like it expect it: nebula root # sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to mail.doubleslash.de. via relay... .... but this not: nebula root # sendmail -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... jan... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Jan Schubert wrote: > If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works > fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? It seems to work, if i run a sendmail locally, but there should no sendmail run there. I just want to get the mails off the system. This is my short and simple sendmail.mc, which seems to work using -C: divert(0)dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail-procmail.mc,v 1.1 2003/04/24 21:18:58 avenj Exp $')dnl OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl define(`LOCAL_RELAY', mail.doubleSlash.de)dnl MAILER(smtp)dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl Any hints? TiA, Jan Jan Schubert wrote: > If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works > fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? It seems to work, if i r...

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 > > Thanks > Jeff > The sender didn't complete a particular phase of the smtp protocol. Possibly completed the helo xxxxx.xxx but not the mail from:, or neither. Basically it means they hung up on you. Telnet to your mailer and experiment with incomplete stanzas, begining with helo..., mail from:..., rcpt to:..., data... and drop the connection before completing each stanza. Bonus points for using log level 15 or greater. dp ...

sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc
A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in sendmail.mc? Thank you. Marco Verago. Marco Verago schrieb: > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > sendmail.mc? Not a simple question at all, as I can't for the life of it imagine what you are actually wanting to achieve. sendmail.cf is generated from sendmail.mc, so you seem to be creating a sort of circular dependency here. Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes: > Marco Verago schrieb: > > > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > > sendmail.mc? > > Not a simple question at all, as I can't for the life of it imagine > what you are actually wanting to achieve. sendmail.cf is generated > from sendmail.mc, so you seem to be creating a sort of circular > dependency here. Maybe he's looking for LOCAL_RULESETS, LOCAL_CONFIG, LOCAL_RULE_3, etc., which allow you to put .cf code in the .mc file. See the cf/README file for more info. -- Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/ Marco Verago wrote: > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > sendmail.mc? YES e.g. http://www.sendmail.org/m4/tweaking_rulesets.html -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ] *Random Epigram* : Don't judge a man by the words of his mother, listen to the comments of his neighbou...

How to stop sendmail from accepting mail to bin, daemon, adm, lp, etc...
My Linux machine has several system accounts: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin: daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin: adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm: lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd: sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown halt:x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail: news:x:9:13:news:/usr/lib/news: uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic: operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/bin/bash games:x:12:100:games:/usr/games: man:x:13:15:man:/usr/man: postmaster:x:14:12:postmaster:/var/spool/mail:/bin/bash gdm:x:42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/bash nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/dev/null: ftp:x:404:1:Anonymous Ftp User:/home/ftp:/bin/bash and I just noticed that I am accepting mail for these addresses. While I want the mail for root@mydomain.net, I want sendmail to refuse mail for the other accounts. How do I do this? paulgani wrote: > My Linux machine has several system accounts: > > root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh > bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin: > daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin: > adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm: > lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd: > sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync > shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown > halt:x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt > mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail: > news:x:9:13:news:/usr/lib/news: > uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic: > operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/bin/bash > games:x:12:100:games:/usr/games: > man:x:13:15:man:/usr/man: > postmaster:x:14:12:postmaster:/...

sendmail
Is there a way to add hyperlinks to the body of an email message using the sendmail function? I am using Microsoft Outlook. ...

Sendmail
Can any one help me setting up my mail server. I have 3 different domains i want to set that up in one m/c. Help What M/C are you Planning on Using - Outlook Express, Outlook Etc. Kevin bhavingsi@yahoo.com (Bhavin) wrote in message news:<49df75f0.0407150718.21c23a7e@posting.google.com>... > Can any one help me setting up my mail server. I have 3 different > domains i want to set that up in one m/c. > > Help ...

Sendmail
Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:35:24 +0200, John <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote: > Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that > would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the > other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? Sendmail sends mails, it doesn't fetch mail. You can use fetchmail for that :) Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive: The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking. They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:35:24 +0200, John <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote: > Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that > would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the > other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? How about fetchmail? Check it out: http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/ -- -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu) -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/ ...

sendmail
Hi, i search an option where i can setup the following method. if a mass email sending run, the sendmail sould only send 3 emails to the same domain at the same time. you know? is that possible? thanks for help -- Mit freundlichen Gr��en Christian Schmidt Webmaster Homeatwork.de - SMS & Vertrieb, Marketing und Entwicklung mail: webmaster@homeatwork.de fon: +49 (0) 170 82 65 443 fon: +49 (0) 3628 58 56 8 2 url: http://www.homeatwork.de Christian Schmidt wrote: > i search an option where i can setup the following method. > if a mass email sending run, the sendmail sould only send 3 emails to the > same domain at the same time. > > you know? is that possible? > thanks for help Have you read sendmail/TUNING file in sendmail 8.12 distribution ? It is possible that you have asked "suboptimal" question :-) -- Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/ anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl [former: anfi@Box43.pl] I am proud I am not a new model bushman. *Random Epigram* : Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. -- Victor Borge no i not read this, because i dont found the document do you have the right configuration for my problem? -- Mit freundlichen Gr��en Christian Schmidt Webmaster Homeatwork.de - SMS & Vertrieb, Marketing und Entwicklung mail: webmaster@homeatwork.de fon: +49 (0) 170 82 65 443 fon: +49 (0) 3628 58 56 8 2 url: http://www.homeatwork.de Christian Schmidt wrote: > no i not read ...

sendmail
I'm having trouble configuring sendmail. The OS is redhat 9. I'm not new to linux. I'm trying to use the PHP function mail() and it only sends the mail message to the root user instead of the intended recipient. I want it to be forwarded to an exchange 5.5 box (our mail server). Any help? Any good links to sites that might help me? I haven't found what i'm looking for at sendmail.org. Thanks in advance to any help. jedge wrote: > I'm having trouble configuring sendmail. The OS is redhat 9. I'm not > new to linux. I'm trying to use the PHP funct...

Sendmail
I have the 7.0 version of Sendmail installed and working okay sending mail to addresses within our qualchoice.com domain but cannot send anywhere else. Get the following error message Name server: yahoo: host name lookup failure when trying to send to my yahoo.com address. As far as I know all the configuration is pretty much the defaults. Any Sendmail gurus know what I have to do to get this working? TIA. John Bawden QualChoice __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com * To joi...

routing sendmail through another sendmail server
Hi all; I have a SendMail issue. Please help, as I am a newbie with Sendmail: We have a server (weasel.foo.org) that has a port opened in our firewall to an Exchange server in a DMZ. I can send mail from this server to our Exchange server just fine. However, we have other servers that generate e-mail from various scripts, processes, applications, etc. that we would like to receive as well. The idea is to use weasel as a relay to forward the mail through the firewall, instead of setting up a bunch of firewall rules to allow mail from numerous servers. On one such server (hobbes), I have my s...

Web resources about - Stopping sendmail from listenning (sendmail: accepting connections) - comp.unix.aix

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

7 Minnesota Connections To The NCAA Tournament
The Gophers aren't a part of March Madness, but there are enough Minnesota connections to the Big Dance to keep local fans engaged in the action ...

Young people prefer an Internet connection to daylight
Technically Incorrect: A UK survey suggests that daylight isn't all that at least in young people's enlightened minds. Neither is hot water. ...

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Other Sports: For first time, NFL acknowledges connection between football-related brain trauma, CTE ...
In what could be a watershed moment in the debate about the long-term effects of head injuries in the nation's most popular sport, the NFL's ...

‘Daredevil’ Star Deborah Ann Woll Talks Karen Page’s “Screwed Up” Connection To The Punisher
Which crime classic did she read to nail their “cat and mouse” relationship?

NFL Forced To Admit In Congressional Roundtable Connection Between Football And Brain Degeneration
... of Health and Player Safety for the NFL was forced to admit in a grilling session before the House of Representatives that there IS a connection ...