truss fails with error "Cannot create subject process"

Hi,
    truss  ls fails with error  "Cannot create subject process".
It fails no matter what program is being traced.
The machine is  AIX 5.2 (64 bit)

regards
-sarab

comp.unix.aix 10958 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

What is "error 8"
I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool as a generic modem device. However, when I hit the "Activate" button, I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8." Where can I find what "error 8" means? Thanks. No one responded, but for the benefit of any other newbies who encounter this problem, here is the solution: I looked in the System Log and saw that the modem did not find a dial tone. I plugged in a phone line, and the "Activate" command worked fine. (I had not realized that "Activate" meant "Connect.") Crooked River wrote: > I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool > as a generic modem device. However, when I hit the "Activate" button, > I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8." Where can > I find what "error 8" means? > System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h The only problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the program is displaying. #define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */ does not sound like what you are really getting. The best bet would be to look at the source of the program that is producing that error message. Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti mess, and if your ...

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

Sometimes "ls" works while "ls -v" fails; Sometimes "ls -v" works while "ls" fails; Sometimes both fail; Why???
Hi all, I am trying to port linux kernel 2.4.20 to a new powerpc Book E processor/chip. I used the 16550A UART driver (in drivers/char/serial.c) with IRQ = 0 (no interrupt). I have tried to use different values for rs_strobe_time and the kernel prints out messages correctly. My problem is that when I tried to do "ls" or "export" in user mode, sometimes strange characters (or incorrect content) print out. Anyone has any idea? I have been struggling with this problem for over 2 months. Here is the screen dump. This one showing a case where "ls -l" ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Continuation of "Arrrgh! rsync "chroot failed" error message!"
I find myself in the same situation of the author of the thread entitled "Arrrgh! rsync "chroot failed" error message!" See http://tinyurl.com/o9kog or http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.networking/browse_frm/thread/6aa9b7a694b59b9b/9bb8512e8f6c233a?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#9bb8512e8f6c233a .. I am trying to use rsync to synchronize some files between two systems. I'm planning on doing this rather frequently, so it's my understanding that I should use the rsync daemon mode, and using ssh is basically a requirement as well. My most recent successful step was to link the /etc/rsyncd.conf file to $HOME for my remote user, and I'm now getting this error: $ rsync --rsh="ssh" -av --delete test.txt remoteHost::ModuleName/my/path @ERROR: chroot failed rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1296) [sender=2.6.8] Basically, what I want to know is this: In the thread above, the response was basically, "If you want to use ssh, then don't use the rsync daemon." That seems to be a common response on the web. Is it true? Is there a sensible way to use both ssh and the rsync daemon? As a related question, what is the additional overhead for NOT running rsync in daemon mode? Thanks. kenney@lucent.com <kenney@lucent.com> wrote: > I am trying to use rsync to synchronize some files between two systems. > I'm planning on doing this rather frequently, so it's...

error "Unable to spawn unix process"
D3 7.1 on SCO 5.0.7. When D3 attempts to start a shared unix printer the error is displayed. Any ideas on things to look at? Ta Need a little more information to help you. a. the D3 command line you are using to start the printer b. The /etc/printcap item that UNIX has for this printer Regards John Check the 'user' line in pick0. D3 may not have the right permissions. This is an old system, what changed? "cracboy" <jbeecraf@bigpond.net.au> wrote: >D3 7.1 on SCO 5.0.7. > >When D3 attempts to start a shared unix printer the error is displayed. > >Any ideas on things to look at? > >Ta > Tony Gravagno wrote: > Check the 'user' line in pick0. D3 may not have the right > permissions. This is an old system, what changed? > > > "cracboy" <jbeecraf@bigpond.net.au> wrote: > >> D3 7.1 on SCO 5.0.7. >> >> When D3 attempts to start a shared unix printer the error is >> displayed. >> >> Any ideas on things to look at? >> >> Ta Logon on as root, then spawn a d3 (pick) process, logon to dm and try to start a shared printer. "Kilo MicroAir" <kilomike[at]gci.net> wrote: >Tony Gravagno wrote: >> Check the 'user' line in pick0. D3 may not have the right >> permissions. This is an old system, what changed? >> >> >> "...

Error Msg: "SURegCreateKey failed!" with title as "\Enum\Network\\0000"
hi We are MUX IM sample where miniport edge is visible(physical instance should get created) where one can assign ip address and all other information.. and we have our own protocol implemented in that.. We are allowing the tcp/ip binding to real adapter in notify object... We have done all development and testing on win2000 successfully , now our client platform is win98. In driver code we have taken care for win98 specific issues. But when we try to use binary on win98 we are error message box as, "SURegCreateKey failed!" with title as "\Enum\Network\\...

"rndc reload" reporting error: "rndc: isc_app_run() failed: reload"
hi all, running BIND 931 chroot'd on OSX 10.4.2 no real troubles for me to date ... one question: after changes to host data, etc., a subsequent 'rndc reload' reports: % rndc -V reload create memory context create socket manager create task manager create task create logging context setting log tag creating log channel enabling log channel create parser get default key get config key list decode base64 secret reload post event using server 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1#953) create socket connect create message render message schedule recv send message parse message create message render message schedule recv send message parse message server reload successful rndc: isc_app_run() failed: reload % though records are updated/propagated as expected, i've no idea what the: ... rndc: isc_app_run() failed: reload means. or, what effect/problem it may have/cause. log simply shows: ... 20-Jul-2005 11:04:57.556 general: info: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf' 20-Jul-2005 11:04:57.605 general: debug 1: now using logging configuration from config file 20-Jul-2005 11:04:57.626 general: debug 1: load_configuration: success ... and, google-ing on "rndc reload isc_app_run" isn't showing much ... any suggestions/ideas? thx, richard ...

MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue-box shows the BOMB icon with the message, SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR HAS OCCURRED --- ADDRESS ERROR It never reaches the desktop; this crash occurs every time. The Mac SE has a 330 meg internal hard drive, System 6.x.x, and a 1.4 meg internal 3.5 floppy drive. There is a SCSI port but no internal CD reader. The b/w screen is extremely sharp in its focus. The computer worked fine until about a year ago, when I stupidly put a file in the wrong folder. It has crashed consistently ever since! It has an assortment of software on the hard drive, but I have backups of everything and am willing to reformat the entire hard drive if necessary to get the computer working again! If I can resurrect the computer, I hope to upgrade the system to System 7.0 or 7.1 . DONE SO FAR: Yes, I have launched it with shift-key down, to turn off the extensions, but it always crashes Ive also tried vari...

"GetId failed" error in Clarion Help example "OLE Container properties"
Hi there. There is source example in Clarion help "OLE Container properties" (in Clarion 5.x and 6.x) 1. I can not find XL.CLW which contains excel constants. Doesn'n matter, they can be found on internet xlManual SHORT(-4135) xlAutomatic SHORT(-4105) .... 2. This example program creates an Excel spreadsheet object. There is ?ExcelObject{'Cells(' & i & ',' & j & ').Value'} = Random(100,900) in the BuildSheetData Routine which produses "GetID failed" message during runtime (!), so sheet cells are not filled with values! How can I solve this problem? How can I fill excel OLE object's cells with values?? Thank you, Zoran. ...

Why is the difference between "Error Out.ctl" and "Error Out 3D.ctl"?
&nbsp; What is 'Error Out 3D.ctl' in LabVIEW 7.0? [It's found in 'Controls > Array & Cluster'.] Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'? Or are the differences simply cosmetic? Neither of these controls seems to have an entry in LabVIEW Help. &nbsp; Oops - 'Why is' == 'What is' > Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in > 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'...

How to create a file named "\a" and "-a"
Hi !How to create a file named "\a" and "-a"? dolphin wrote: > Hi !How to create a file named "\a" and "-a"? > "touch \\a" nets you "\a" making "-a" filename is harder.. You may have to resort to C code.. Its pretty hard to get the standard tools to ignore what they interpret as switches. On 16 Mar 2007 at 14:36, dolphin wrote: > Hi !How to create a file named "\a" touch '\a' > and "-a"? touch -- -a (assuming GNU touch) -- email: echo t.adllkhsl@iypzavs.hj.br | tr a-gh-pq...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

xclock fail with "Error: Can't open display:" on "ssh -X"
I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer from a FC6 linux computer. I can run xclock or xterm on the RHEL4 linux computer. However, running xclock or xterm on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: bash-3.2# xclock Error: Can't open display: Error: Couldn't find per display information bash-3.2# xterm xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s bash-3.2# sshd -version sshd: illegal option -- v OpenSSH_4.5p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.1-hpn12v14, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006 HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.50.021, HP-UX Secure Shell version Using "ssh -Y"...

xclock fail with "Error: Can't open display" on "ssh -X"
I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer from a FC6 linux computer. I can run xclock or xterm on the RHEL4 linux computer. However, running xclock or xterm on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: bash-3.2# xclock Error: Can't open display: Error: Couldn't find per display information bash-3.2# xterm xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s bash-3.2# sshd -version sshd: illegal option -- v OpenSSH_4.5p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.1-hpn12v14, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006 HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.50.021, HP-UX Secure Shell version Using "ssh -Y" to login to the RHEL4 and HPUX computer get the same result. Please help so that I can run xclock or xterm on the HPUX computer. On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote: > I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer > from a FC6 linux computer. > I can run > xclock or xterm > on the RHEL4 linux computer. > However, running > xclock or xterm > on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: might try xhost +localhost ssh RHEL4.ip.here You may want to verify your hupx login script(s) does not hard code $DISPLAY On Jan 5, 9:01=A0pm, Bit Twister <BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com> wrote: > On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote: > > I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer > > from a FC6 linux computer. > > I can run > > xclock or xterm &...

help in unison problem: "Failed: Error in processing a transfer instruction:"
Hello everyone, i've been using unison for quite a while. However, this week i starting getting the following message for most of my files. It works for other roots, but not for that one. I reset permissions on both the local and remote roots. Also, i'm using the 2.13.16 version in both. Local machine is cygwin and the server a linux. Any idea? Thanks in advance Le Failed: Error in processing a transfer instruction: No such file or directory [open(/home/brus/laptop/work/hp/hp_work/ Tex/.#TWS_EXPTS.zip.f70c332f12b595ba21345c4c55620982.unison.tmp)] 0% 79:30 ETAFailed [work/hp/hp...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

my own perl "dos->unix"/"unix->dos"
i made a dos to unix, unix to dos program catered for my own purposes. it's seems to work fine. small program, 26 lines anyone see any potential problems with it? do you have a better way to do it? my next step is to slip in some code to automatically "detect" whether its a unix or dos file. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; #setting based on filename argument. # if sym link is dos-unix or if sym link is unix-dos my ($from, $to); my $option=substr($0,rindex($0,'/')+1,length($0)-1); # $0 gives full path. this code gives just filename if ($option eq "dos-unix"){ ...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Web resources about - truss fails with error "Cannot create subject process" - comp.unix.aix