Who uses still uses MCA RS/6000s?

  Hello all,
I am trying to gage the usage of MCA RS/6000s these days.  I'm working
on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics and provide modern free
software for AIX 4.3.3 and 5.1.  Please reply to the group or send me a
note if you do use these machines.
                Kevin
comp.unix.aix 10963 articles. 1 followers. drkirkby (98) is leader. Post Follow

Kevin
You said
"I'm working on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics"

Will vote for that.
Still struggling on with a couple of MCA RS6000's

Basil

0
FAKEfarl7 (19)
2/19/2006 10:28:44 PM
Kevin Bowling schrieb:

> I am trying to gage the usage of MCA RS/6000s these days.

All builds of Firefox for AIX 4.3.3 are compiled on a 7009-C20 exept the
  POWER optimized ones, which are compiled on a 7012-370.

Testing is done on a 7006-42T and 7011-250
I could use my 7043P-150 for building in a quarter of time, but it isn't
MCA...

> I'm working
> on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics and provide modern free
> software for AIX 4.3.3 and 5.1.

"http://www.linkitup.de/ForAIX/Firefox"
"http://www.linkitup.de/ForAIX/Mozilla"

Firefox 1.5.0.2 will be available soon!

--
Uli
I am still using a model 730 'wide body' loaded up to the hilt to run

0
tkasmer (1)
2/20/2006 5:04:04 PM
Kevin Bowling a �crit :
>   Hello all,
> I am trying to gage the usage of MCA RS/6000s these days.  I'm working
> on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics and provide modern free
> software for AIX 4.3.3 and 5.1.  Please reply to the group or send me a
> note if you do use these machines.
>                 Kevin

I'm using a Bull Escala M104 at home. It is the european version of an
RS6000 Model G30 as far as I know.

Jean-Marc
Kevin Bowling wrote:
>   Hello all,
> I am trying to gage the usage of MCA RS/6000s these days.  I'm working
> on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics and provide modern free
> software for AIX 4.3.3 and 5.1.  Please reply to the group or send me a
> note if you do use these machines.
>                 Kevin

I am still using a model 370 for a program testing and off-line storage
and even have an extra one for parts.
0
_mwryder (281)
2/21/2006 1:28:59 AM
My 7012-365 is still in use as a X terminal at home, but I have to
confess, I consider replacing her :-/

GG
I do. As far as
- keeping it safely tucked away in my cellar
- keeping it up-to-date with patches
- petting it from time to time
counts as running it?

It's a 59H with 512MB Ram, dual SSA, (soon dual) Fibrechannel,
Ethernet and 155Mbps ATM and quite considerable storage.
So I doubt I'll consider it obsolete within the next ten years.

I has AIX 5.1 installed, but it'll surely make sense to provide 4.3.3
binaries as well. I know some much more current systems still
running 4.3.3.

On a side note:
Can I ask You to simply put Your effort in using/porting pkgsrc
( http://www.pkgsrc.org ) instead of providing just single binaries?

It would greatly help do unite efforts a bit :)
I will happily provide anything in my reach to assist You.

Also, I assume You are aware of UCLAs aix public domain software
library? They provide a lot of builds even down to 4.1.x
(which I also run - in the way described above)

florian

Kevin Bowling wrote:
>   Hello all,
> I am trying to gage the usage of MCA RS/6000s these days.  I'm working
> on a web site that will cover RS/6k basics and provide modern free
> software for AIX 4.3.3 and 5.1.  Please reply to the group or send me a
> note if you do use these machines.
>                 Kevin

I still have a 220 running!

0
garlic (30)

Re: Who uses still uses MCA RS/6000s?
Hi Kevin Will vote for that too. Work occasionaly with two 7011-44 MCA RS6000's with AiX 3.2 and 4.2 at home J�rg ...

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter Britz Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: > I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract > a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, > > plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 > > but gnuplot complains > > Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] > > although the data file contains > > 1 1 > 2 2 > 3 3 > 4 4 > 5 5 > You´ve set an xrange that ends between one and two. On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:46:37 +0200, Karl wrote: > Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: >> I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from >> col. 2. I tried, in a test script, >> >> plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 >> >> but gnuplot complains >> >> Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjus...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Switching AIX to use LDAP authentication while still being able to use local accounts.
I have setup my AD account so that it can login to my AIX server. I have re= moved my local AIX account and have permanently switched to using my AD acc= ount. I'm using putty to ssh into my AIX server. If I don't specify my priv= ate key to use in putty, I can see all the AD groups that were created on t= he AD side. If I specify my private key to use because I want to use passwo= rdless authentication, I see all the corresponding local AIX groups. Is thi= s how it's supposed to work? With no private for passwordless authentication I get the groups created on= AD: ...

how to use STL on AIX using visualage.
I write a very simple cpp file, but visualage faild to produce the output: #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main(){ cout<<"hello world"<<endl; return 0; } cc a.cpp: ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "__DynaCastDesc_si _public": first non-inline virtual function in "__DynaCastDesc_si_public" is not defined. ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "eti_cplusplus": f irst non-inline virtual function in "eti_cplusplus" is not defined. ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: operator delete(void*) ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::cout ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::ios_base::goodbit ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::ios_base::badbit ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::ios_base::adjustfield ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::ios_base::left ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::__setUncaughtExceptionFlag(bool) ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__CleanupCatch ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::_Lockit::_Lockit(int) ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::uncaught_exception() ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::_Lockit::~_Lockit() ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .operator delete(void*) ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::ios_base::clear(int,bool) ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: std::ctype<char>::id ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is this really illegal as Microsoft says? And if it is illegal, what is the rationale behind making it so? Reference: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177253.aspx -Le Chaud Lapin- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On 26 Nov 2005 10:06:23 -0500, "Le Chaud Lapin" <unoriginal_username@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an >enumeration: > >struct Packet >{ > struct Payload > { > } ; >} ; > >I had gotten into the habit of writing: > >using Packet::Payload; > >so I could write: > >Payload::..blah.. > >instead of > >Packet::Payload::..blah > >I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. > >I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compil...

Used Cisco Used Switch Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guy. I just bought a cisco 7206VXR from http://www.linkwaves.com. Quick shipping fedex 3 days saver for $85. I think they are great Quick Ship Great Services Excelent Products For Quick Quote. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/requestquote.asp For Quick Search. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/productsearch.asp Their Contact is LinkWaves Corp 29980 Technology Drive, Suite 6 Murrieta, CA 92563 Tel: +1-909-725-9143 Fax: =1-707-221-3762 http://www.linkwaves.com sales(at)linkwaves.com ...

To use locking or not to use it
Hello, I am builiding a multi-threaded application which has the following components : 1 writer thread - it gets information from the network and updates a table of numeric data, then informs the 2 reader threads that there is new information, so they should start running 2 reader threads that are awakened by the writer thread, use the writer thread's table to retrieve updated numerical data to do their calculations. Since the writer updates the table and the readers read from it, I want to use a reader/writer locking mechanism. However, I thought about the following strategy : The writer will not manage a main table, it will only package the recieved data (in a struct or class), and use 2 queue structures, one for each reader, it will enqueue the data into each queue, which in turn will cause the 2 reader threads, to awake, dequeue the data, update their own copy of the numeric data table (which is handled by the writer thread in the previous scenario) and then do their calculations. Since each reader thread has its own copy (although they are duplicate), no locking is required. The only locking might be required on the queue actions (but maybe there is a way to use a queue with 1 thread which enqueue's and 1 thread that dequeue without lock's - I will be glad for any suggestion here as well). The data that is packaged is 48 bytes. I would be very happy to hear your thoughts and questions about these designs - whi...

file in use, could not use
Hi. I have two databases that are both linked to the same backend table. I can't use them both at the same time, yet other users can have both functioning simultaneously on their machines. Opening them is not the problem. ..but the error message appears when I run any queries linked to the table. It works in one database, but not the other. All users are running XP sp2 with Access 2003. The error message is the same regardless if anyone is using the backend or not. I believe it is machine specific...MY machine. I haven't a clue. Any ideas? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Check your shortcuts that start your front-end. Make sure noone is using /excl (open for exclusive use) HTH "knawtn via AccessMonster.com" <u13973@uwe> wrote in message news:772b59e050975@uwe... > Hi. I have two databases that are both linked to the same backend table. I > can't use them both at the same time, yet other users can have both > functioning simultaneously on their machines. Opening them is not the > problem. > .but the error message appears when I run any queries linked to the table. > It works in one database, but not the other. All users are running XP sp2 > with Access 2003. > > The error message is the same regardless if anyone is using the backend or > not. I believe it is machine specific...MY machine. > > I haven't a clue. Any ideas? > > -- > Message posted via http://www.accessmonst...

Why index used/not used
Hello. Explain. I have table "traf_raw" contains field "sip_id" (integer). This field indexed with "CREATE INDEX traf_raw_sip ON traf_raw (sip_id)". Question. When I try to get different rows postgres use index with one "sip_id" and not use index with another "sip_id". I don't understand why it is happen, but with more complex queries Seq Scan is so slowly. Example. With "sip_id='19'" there many rows in table, with "sip_id='29'" there is no rows. cnupm=> ANALYZE traf_raw; ANALYZE cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='19' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Limit (cost=5230.95..5230.99 rows=1 width=56) (actual time=2505.89..2505.89 rows=0 loops=1) -> Seq Scan on traf_raw (cost=0.00..5230.99 rows=10808 width=56) (actual time=0.04..2490.02 rows=10977 loops=1) Filter: (sip_id = 19) Total runtime: 2505.95 msec (4 rows) cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='29' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Defined but not used? But I am using it!
I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the following. namespace menutree { static bool debug = false; } And in various parts of the code I have statements like. if (menutree::debug) { std::cout << "here" << std::endl; Everything compiles but I get the warning "warning: `bool menutree::debug' defined but not used" Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks! Travis wrote: > I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the > following. > > namespace menutree > { > static boo...

When to use postgreSQL , when to use other
We are using Oracle and mySQL for web-applications I'm planing to use postgresql also. Maybe we will also use Cach`e . Does anyone using an other database-engines than postgresql also? What are your decision criterias to choose which db-engine for a certain project? e.g. less/more than x records in database , less/more than x select/DML-Staements per second reliablity, backup, replication... ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's ...

If you used to use Windows or now used Windows less because of FreeBSD why?
For a Graduation Project, I am comparing Open-Source software to Propetarity Software. So if you used to use Windows or now use Windows less, why do you use FreeBSD more now? Yes, I know I asked a question like this before, but forgot to ask this one. ;). I continue to use windows on the desktop because of certain apps and games that only run on windows. Making the switch to another platorm is not a priority. I am quite good with windows security and other platforms offer no functionality that windows lacks, in my instance. I recently began utilizing freebsd for some of my services, along with my windows server. I use mysql and postfix on freebsd. I have lately been experimenting with linux, but the lack of sata support is inhibiting progress. I am patiently awaiting the next release of debian, my favorite distro so far. As a libertarian, I am quite fond of open-source ideals. A few points on linux and freebsd: The freebsd packages collection, I feel, is lacking. I really think some improvements need to be addressed to accomodate users that prefer binary implementation. For example, smb client support is broken in the binary implementations of xfce4 and gnome2. Freebsd-update is a huge leap forward, as far as updates are concerned. The freebsd installer is far superior to any other I have ever used. I can install freebsd and apply binary security updates in less than ten minutes on a p2-300. Debian installation is a c...

AIX 1.3 Still In Use
I just received e-mail today from someone in Malaysia who has six PS/2 Model 70 systems running AIX for PS/2. They were looking for parts...HDDs, FDDs, power supplies, etc. Makes me think that there is something important still running on these systems. I don't know what release of AIX or for what purpose, but I will be asking about manuals if there is still interest in finding them. Maybe we'll get lucky... William ...

interfacing using 8086 mup kit and a computer using RS 232
hi guys, can anybody send me a program using direct interfacing using RS 232...and is there any assembler compatible to 8086 mup that can handle C functions and vice versa....can anyone send something related to this please.. ...

Using Windows IDL to access a UNIX database using DLM's
Hey All, I am relatively new to using IDL with very little knowledge of in-depth computer stuff (compilers/linkers/etc.). I am trying to access a database using DLM's written by someone else (in C). I have spent way too long trying to solve the problem by downloading different compilers, looking into different linking issues and I still haven't accomplished much. My major issue is trying to get IDL to load the DLM and use it. I have added a IDL_DLM_PATH to my environment variables so that when I type "help, /dlm" at the command line it shows that my DLM is there. I then...

Using a DLL that uses a second library which use Java Runtime Environment
Hello, I am having problems when I try to import a DLL in Matlab that I created myself with the Visual C++ 2010 express. My library uses a second library that I don't want Matlab to worry about (since it uses complex data structures and don't know how it has been created). My library exports the function prototypes with C support (I use -> extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)). I made a simple console application in C++ that uses my library and it works correctly. Matlab loads my library without any problem. The problem comes when I call a function that defines a variable sp...

What use do you have in using constants over variables?
I hear people talking about like: const float PI=3.14; that and they say you can only change it in one place but why do you need it if you can use it in a variable ex. float PI=3.14; and then I can assign it to another float; for(int pi=PI;;pi++) and if you change the value of PI then the value of pi will change as well; Can you please tell me what uses for constants I am missing? amun25dringer11@gmail.com wrote: > const float PI=3.14; > Can you please tell me what uses for constants I am missing? You avoid finding some PI = 3.0; // the Bible says so piece of code in the netherwor...

When should I use REQUIRE and when should I use INCLUDE?
What is the difference between REQUIRE and INCLUDE and in what circumstances should one be used over the other? On 25 Mar 2005 10:50:54 -0800, "erin g" <eringeyer@gmail.com> wrote: >What is the difference between REQUIRE and INCLUDE and in what >circumstances should one be used over the other? http://uk2.php.net/require http://uk2.php.net/include/ -- Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk> <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool 'require' will stop processing if the file can't be included, 'include' will go on... thanks "erin g" <eringeyer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1111776654.744830.88810@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > What is the difference between REQUIRE and INCLUDE and in what > circumstances should one be used over the other? > Not much of a difference really. The fact that we have both is entirely historical. In PHP 3, require's are evaluated as the file is parsed. Code in a require'ed file is linked into the running script even if it's never executed. The following, for example, would throw an fatal error: if(file_exists("idontexists.php3")) { require("idontexists.php3"); } Include's on the other hand occur at runtime, so the above fragment, with include in place of require, would work as intended. Starting with PHP 4, require's occur at runtime too. The only differe...

using run with net use
Hi, I start "net use" with the run-command in a clipper 5.2e program under Win2000. This runs perfectly on my system. Now I want to run it on another PC, and it does not work. I already checked the config.nt and autoexec.nt files. They are the same. I think its something with the memory, but where can I check this. Josef Josef, Does the command work if you use from the command line on "another" PC? Josef, >I start "net use" with the run-command in a clipper 5.2e program under >Win2000. This runs perfectly on my system. Now I want to run it on >another PC, and it does not work. I already checked the config.nt and >autoexec.nt files. They are the same. I think its something with the >memory, but where can I check this. You can get rid of external dependencies by using LM_Redirect() and LM_KillRedir() from the LanMan Library instead of running "net use". See my sig for the download URL. Regards, Klas ------- klas dot engwall at engwall dot com http://www.engwall.com/clipper/ The LFN Library for Clipper The LanMan Library for Clipper The NFPAT1A Timeslice release patch for the Nanforum Toolkit Klas, Thanks a lot to you. It perfectly works now. Regards, Josef ...

Used of using const char*
Hi, What's the advantage/disadvantage of using a "const char*" over a "char*" ? I read some place that char* are string literals that on some machines are stored in a read only memory and cannot be modified... does that apply on const char*? thanks Sona Sona <sona.gardner@nospam.com> wrote in message news:3f5b552b$1@clarion.carno.net.au... > Hi, > > What's the advantage/disadvantage of using a "const char*" over a > "char*" ? It's not a question of advantages/disadvantages. It's a question of using what's a...

How to use use VESA modes?
What is VESA modes? How i do program that uses VESA modes? How to enable VESA mode? svetoslav belchev schrieb: > What is VESA modes? Ask Google. > How i do program that uses VESA modes? Depends on what you are using to program with. Ask Google. > How to enable VESA mode? VESA modes are available if your PC has a VESA driver installed; this could be in the gfx card BIOS or as a RAM-resident driver that you have to load. Ask Google. Michael -- Feel the stare of my burning hamster and stop smoking! > What is VESA modes? > How i do program that uses VESA modes? > How to ...

Using of syms, using values
I have a problem of using of "syms" I created a state space model like this: sys1=ss(A,B,C1,D1); L=tf(sys1); [num, den] = ss2tf(A,B,C1,D1); syms s; S=[s^14;s^13;s^12;s^11;s^10;s^9;s^8;s^7;s^6;s^5;s^4;s^3;s^2;s;1]; N=(num*S)/(den*S); N is the transfert function. It is my fitness function, it must return a value function [ fitness ] = dof_fitness_function(tf_fct) fitness=0; smax=50; s=0; for s=0:1:smax fitness=fitness+(atan(pi/s)/(4*pi)-tf_fct*(0.05/s)); end When I use the fitness function in the command window, I obtain that: [ f...

To Use a Cursor or to Not Use a Cursor
I need to loop through a set of records to build a string. I can do this without using a cursor by inserting the records into a temporary table with an identity column. Count the number of records in the temporary table and loop though the table selecting the values and building the string where the identity column = the loop number. Is this more or less efficient than just using a cursor? If so why is it more or less efficient? Please explain in detail Thank You, Jim Lewis j_jim_lewis@hotmail.com (Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:<78151299.0307151405.7a0ae77@posting.google.com>... > I need to loop through a set of records to build a string. I can do > this without using a cursor by inserting the records into a temporary > table with an identity column. Count the number of records in the > temporary table and loop though the table selecting the values and > building the string where the identity column = the loop number. > > Is this more or less efficient than just using a cursor? If so why is > it more or less efficient? > > Please explain in detail > > Thank You, > Jim Lewis Without sample tables, data and code, it's not possible to say for sure, however, as a general rule, a cursor operation is slower than other approaches. You should be able to test both operations using Query Analyzer, with Show Execution Plan turned on. The plan will show what percentage of the batch was taken up by each operation, so if a l...

Web resources about - Who uses still uses MCA RS/6000s? - comp.unix.aix

RS/6000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RISC System/6000 , or RS/6000 for short, is a family of RISC and UNIX based servers , workstations and supercomputers made by IBM in the 1990s. ...

Saucony Originals, Offspring, Shadow 6000s collab exclusive look - Complex
Saucony Originals and Offspring have teamed up on a pair of Shadow 6000 collabs, and we have an exclusive look at them. We’ve been reporting ...

Cisco Takes Aim At Midmarket With New Business Edition 6000S Collaboration ...
Cisco Takes Aim At Midmarket With New Business Edition 6000S Collaboration ... CRN To help partners seize what it called a massive opportunity ...

Samsung NX300 Review - Digital ILC Cameras
Samsung delivers a camera with plenty of power and features to satisfy photographers who want to step-up to an interchangeable lens model.

First drive: Lamborghini Aventador
Ballistic performance and the roar of a fighter jet characterise the fastest Lamborghini on offer.

Gift Guide: The complete guide to home music production on your iPad or Mac
... will be answer calls with at the same time, Logitech has a wide range of products that are very highly rated and sound great like the UE 6000s ...

Warranty Information

Agility - A New Logistics Leader - Freight Forwarding - Logistics - Specialty Services - Infrastructure ...
Select A Language العربية Deutsch Français Contact Us Home About Us About Agility Our Logistics Business Our Emerging Markets Expertise Social ...

hotels in andaman, resorts in andaman, hotels in port blair, hotels in Havelock island, hotels in andaman ...
Travel agency in andaman offer hotels and resorts in andaman, andaman hotel, havelock hotel, port blair hotel, hotel in andaman, resort in andaman, ...

AEP Industries: Agricultural Products : Sunfilm Silage Wrap
AEP Industries Inc. : One Source. The Solution. Agricultural Products Sunfilm Silage Wrap Fumigation Films Horticulture Products Mulch Film About ...