/dev/dsp... how to target different dsp ?

i'm using xmms... and after doing a cvsup/rebuild from (8.0-release)
to:

FreeBSD elhdt.hoe 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #3: Sat Jun 12
15:39:04 PDT 2010     root@elhdt:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

xmms nolonger works...  and i think that problem is that 8.1-pre-
release can now
see additional sound devices that weren't seen before... my problem,
is how do i get
xmms working again (i think, rebind the /dev/dsp device?)

how to bind /dev/dsp to a different beast....

elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp

elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0, 111 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp0.0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp0.1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  90 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp1.0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  89 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp2.0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  88 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp3.0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  87 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp4.0

hmm...

clearly, devfs is synthesizing the response to the stat for /dev/dsp
by the first ls -l, and the second shows that /dev/dsp is not really
there, (the shell expansion of '*' doesn't see it) - so /dev/dsp is
probably
some sort of artificial virtual object synthesized by devfs.

my problem is this.   i want to bind to the dsp3.0 (pcm3) equivalent
device, and
not the pcm equivalent device (i think).    how can i do this ?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

elhdt# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> (play) default
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec)
pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #1 Analog> (play/rec)
pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #2 Digital> (play)
pcm4: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #3 Digital> (play)
0
bsdbeliever
6/18/2010 8:14:19 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

bsdbeliever :

> my problem is this.   i want to bind to the dsp3.0 (pcm3) equivalent
> device, and not the pcm equivalent device (i think).    how can i do this ?

> pcm0: <HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> (play) default

man snd(4):

     hw.snd.default_unit
             Default sound card for systems with multiple sound cards.  When
             using devfs(5), the default device for /dev/dsp.  Equivalent to a
             symlink from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp${hw.snd.default_unit}.

See also the manual page of snd_hda.

0
iso
6/18/2010 10:01:47 PM
On Jun 18, 3:01=A0pm, Patrick Lamaizi=E8re <adre...@est.invalid> wrote:
> bsdbeliever :
> > my problem is this. =A0 i want to bind to the dsp3.0 (pcm3) equivalent

> man snd(4):
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0hw.snd.default_unit
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Default sound card for systems with multiple s=
ound cards. =A0When

RTFM!!! excellent answer!!
(everything now works)
thanks much for the help!!

now... if i could just get squeezeboxserver working....
0
bsdbeliever
6/19/2010 1:07:30 AM
bsdbeliever <elhosots@gmail.com> wrote:

> xmms nolonger works...  and i think that problem is that 8.1-pre-
> release can now
> see additional sound devices that weren't seen before... my problem,
> is how do i get
> xmms working again (i think, rebind the /dev/dsp device?)

Apart from hw.snd.default_unit, you can also configure XMMS to use a
specific device:

Preferences
  -> Audio I/O Plugins
    -> Output Plugin: OSS Driver 1.2.11 [libOSS.so]
      -> Configure
        -> Devices
          -> Audio Device:

naddy

DSP to DSP Synchronizer
Hi! I am working on implementing a DSP to DSP synchronizer on the TMS320C6701 using 16-QAM. I have already built and implemented the transmitter but I am running late on time and having troubles with the receiver. Can anyone help me out with algorithm, code, or material please? Thank you very much in advance. "Texas Longhorns" <OUSucks@hotmail.com> writes: > Hi! I am working on implementing a DSP to DSP synchronizer on the > TMS320C6701 using 16-QAM. I have already built and implemented the > transmitter but I am running late on time and having troubles with >...

DSP to DSP Synchronizer
Hi! I am working on implementing a DSP to DSP synchronizer on the TMS320C6701 using 16-QAM. I have already built and implemented the transmitter but I am running late on time and having troubles with the receiver. Can anyone help me out with algorithm, code, or material please? Thank you very much in advance. ...

/dev/dsp and /dev/video over network
I have a Mandrake 9.1 machine used for videocasting. I need to *also* get video and audio from another building via Lan to be encoded by Darkice or Helix Producer. I am sending many streams at once so getting two computers that are as powerful is an expensive option. Better to have one machine with mucho CPU and another that just relays audio & video from the other building to it. Is there any way to get the /dev/dsp and /dev/video of one machine to be accessable to the other? Mandrake uses devfs. Regards, Fred. Fred Phase wrote: > I have a Mandrake 9.1 machine used for videocastin...

Dsp and Dsp programble name
Hi i want to DSP name and dsp programble neam to work on it by matlab and also i want to ask if i want' any programe more than matlab or matlab is enouth for me to create every thing thanks "mahmoud " <alrazyreturn@live.com> wrote in message <iahfc9$dho$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi i want to DSP name and dsp programble neam to work on it by matlab > and also i want to ask if i want' any programe more than matlab or matlab is enouth for me to create every thing > thanks Hi Mahmoud, Can you please try and rewrite your post. It is clear to...

DSP t DSP Synchronization
What would be the easiest way to synchronize two DSPs using the TI 'C6701 programmable digital signal processor. Would it be easier to send a sinusoid from the transmitter end to the receiver and aknowledgement from the receiver to the transmitter or use a stream of known bits? Any help with algorithm, code or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. I solved the same problem. Sinusoid did help but I used 5/6 frames for synchronization. Like Sinusoid+silence+silence+sinusoid+.. You can also use the more robust technique of known bits but it will increase ur processing during listening...

Dsp
To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp starter kit for learning you would recommend me? Dave Dave wrote: > To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp > starter kit for learning you would recommend me? > > Dave > Try this page: www.dspguru.com And check out the beginner books section. Rick Lyons' book is an excellent place to start. R I recommend following Math area: Probability , statistics, random theory DSP kit: ADSP 2181, SHARC, TMS 320C54xx ArunKumar "Dave" <davecle@SoftHome.net> wr...

DSP
Please Give me outline of doing a project of dsp processor design. On 21 Feb 2006 02:45:18 -0800, "SaHiD" <sahi.cse@gmail.com> wrote: >Please Give me outline of doing a project of dsp processor design. 1) Pick an application that needs DSP. i.e. Radar with beam forming 2) Write a project specification. i.e. 500 page MS-Word document 3) Extract the DSP part of the project. i.e. Do beam forming 4) Select a DSP chip. i.e. TMS320CV5416 from Texas Instruments 5) Download the free eval version of their software 6) Do the project 7) Learn to write newsgroup posts with suff...

RISC/DSP embedded Linux dev kit targets "PDT" apps
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6564012489.html ...

Permissions on /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer resetting
The current permissions on my sound devices are: $ ls -l dsp* mixer* crw------- 1 root root 14, 3 Jan 30 2003 dsp crw------- 1 root root 14, 19 Jan 30 2003 dsp1 crw------- 1 root root 14, 0 Jan 30 2003 mixer crw------- 1 root root 14, 16 Jan 30 2003 mixer1 I then change them with: $ chmod 666 dsp dsp1 mixer mixer1 $ ls -l dsp* mixer* crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 14, 3 Jan 30 2003 dsp crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 14, 19 Jan 30 2003 dsp1 crw------- 1 root root 55, 0 Jan 30 2003 dsp56k crw-rw-r...

DSP Group TeakLite DSP Board
I've pulled a DSP Group Teak Lite DSP development board out of the bin at work. It's about 3-4 years old. Their web site asks you to login before you can look at docs an support S/W etc. Does anyone have an old support login for this site? Cheers, Alfie. ...

DSP using a non DSP processor
My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering operation on this power signal. Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being too ambitious? please post your comments about its feasibility. Thanks, Rohan Rohan wrote: > My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take > analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take the...

Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture and why?
There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? Thanks.........dp On 19 Dec 2003 19:25:35 -0800, petkevich@yahoo.com (dp) wrote: >There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog >Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP >architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? > >Thanks.........dp Your question tickled me. It's like asking, "Who makes the best gasoline-powered vehicle, who has the best maintenan...

DSP parts with free dev software/cheap dev tools?
Hi - I'm looking at doing some DSP work (specifically, I'm working on an AHARS system). I've never worked with a DSP - but I understand them to essentially be a microcontroller with especially strong math abilities. Thus this seems like a perfect solution to my needs. Problem is - it seems most all DSPs require expensive dev software and hardware. I'm coming from the ARM and AVR world where software is free and programmers are inexpensive. Being a student - this transition is a bit unpleasant. Are there any inexpensive routs into the DSP world? I'm looking for a C compil...

xpc target and dsp
hi Is it possiple to implement the dsp processer into thhe xPC target if i am having the cc studio setup on the host side & it is possible to built the simulink model which contain the dsp processer is this above interfacing is possiple with xpc target ? regards ramana ...

/dev/dsp-no such device
hello, I've got a problem with sound.When I run sound apps I get info"Sound server informational message: Error while initializing the sound driver: device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device) The sound server will continue, using the null output device". What's problem and how to resolve this???? Thx for all Bemol wrote: > hello, > I've got a problem with sound.When I run sound apps I get info"Sound server > informational message: > Error while initializing the sound driver: > device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device) > The sou...

Permissions in /dev/dsp
I have had problems on and off over the years with audio on Linux, but always hacked through it and made it work. Now I am trying to understand it. Now is the chance. I have two identical hardware systems with (supposedly) identical loads of Debian Sarge 3.1. Sound works just fine on one, but on the other when KDE loads it gets a "Device /dev/dsp can't be opened. Permission denied." And the error is correct because if I start a program needing sound (totem, XMMS) as su/root it works. So, I have a permission problem. Looking at the /dev/dsp on the working system I get... crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2006-07-22 19:00 dsp On the non sound working box it is... crw-rw---- 1 root root, 3 2006-07-22 19:00 dsp So, the sound works with a group permission of audio 14, but only works as root with a group permission of root. But I don't see a group called audio 14 anywhere in my user/group utilities. In fact, I haven't been able to grep up a string of "audio 14" anywhere on the system. I have googled up lots of suggestions for a fix, but few if any have explanations. So, can anyone tell me what should have setup the "audio 14" group? Thanks Jim Phillips <JPxxxxx@yahoo.com> writes: >I have had problems on and off over the years with audio on Linux, but >always hacked through it and made it work. Now I am trying to understand >it. >Now is the chance. I have two identica...

/dev/dsp linux
Can someone point me to some documentation on how to use the /dev/dsp device under linux? I understand that files sent to this device is digial and will be converted to analog in the soundcard. And am I correct that music encoded with MP3, OGG, and similar, are decoded to the same "format" which can be sent to the soundcard? I wonder if I in a C program can write a music tune, in an array or something, containing frequencies that will be converted to analog in the soundcard. On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:04:59 GMT, edware <erixk@hotmail.com> wrote: > Can someone point me to some ...

difference between CPU and DSP
The features of DSP: Harvard architecture hardware multiplier SIMD instruction special addressing mode(I haven't used it,but the documents say it is used for DCT or FFT) DAG unit barrel shifter (not sure) zero-overhead loop(ADI blckfin561 has this features, I don't know the DSPs of other companies) large stagte pipeline ARM is a CPU, but after reading the documents, I find that ARM almost has all above features, I am told that CPU is for control applications, and DSP is for computation-intensive applications what architectural features make CPU suitable for co...

difference between CPU and DSP
The features of DSP: Harvard architecture hardware multiplier SIMD instruction special addressing mode(I haven't used it,but the documents say it is used for DCT or FFT) DAG unit barrel shifter (not sure) zero-overhead loop(ADI blckfin561 has this features, I don't know the DSPs of other companies) large stage pipeline ARM is a CPU, but after reading the documents, I find that ARM almost has all above features, I am told that CPU is for control applications, and DSP is for computation-intensive applications what architectural features make CPU suitable for con...

/dev/dsp could not be opened
I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on an old pc that I have. This computer has a SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA PnP sound card. I am not sure that the sound card is even installed properly. Everytime I try to play audio or even record something I get an error saying: Error loading the sound driver device /dev/dsp could not be opened. I just tried the following without any luck: sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss sudo modprobe snd-pcm-mixer-oss I am guessing that changes the driver to OSS. How do you change back to ALSA? I also tried the following: sudo apt-get install udev That didnt help either. I tried instal...

which DSP?
Hello, I have a Yakumo Hypersound 128 MP3-Player and would like to modify the firmware. Can anybody tell we, which DSP is used? Thank you in advance, Daniel ...

Sound
Hello, I am running Slackare 13 Linux on my laptop. One of the issues I have noticed recently is that when I have Firefox running on YouTube or similar site and then want to startup MPlayer/Audaciou or some audio/video client, the clients will not even start up. Even on command line, I cannot play any music. It looks like the Flash player in Firefox is locking the /dev/dsp as long as the browser is up. Is there anyway to allow the /dev/dsp device be accessed by other applications at the sametime? (I know it is going to be annoying to listen to multiple sounds at the s...

DSP@
DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the stack. In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. So, which address goes on the stack? The previous one (before the new stack entry) or the new one? Currently, my code uses the new address: INCT R4 - create new stack entry MOV R4,*R4 - place address of stack pointer in top stack entry Mark. Op Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:58:16 -0700 (PDT) schreef MarkWills: > DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the > stack. > > In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. ...

embedded target DSP
hello community, i need urgent help. does anyone has installed the toolbox "Embedded Target For TI 2000 DSP" or any other DSP. Of course with "Link to Code Composer Studio"? It doesnt't work like it should. I got the project in the CCS but when linking i got the errors with MMREGS and config_ADC_A and config_PWM_A (its the simple tutorial example where the ADC and the PWM ports are used). Because of the error when linking i think there is a target specific library wich is lost or which i don't find. Does anyone knows in which library these target specific things a...

Web resources about - /dev/dsp... how to target different dsp ? - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

Report says DOJ seeking data from ‘about’ 12 other iPhones as Bill Gates sides with FBI
Apple is locked in a battle with the FBI over whether or not it should create a tool to access data on a locked iPhone 5c used by one of the ...

Full Episode: WN 02/20/16: Jason Dalton Apparently Took Uber Fares While on an Alleged Rampage in Kalamazoo ...
Full Episode: WN 02/20/16: Jason Dalton Apparently Took Uber Fares While on an Alleged Rampage in Kalamazoo, Michigan

Is David Cameron losing touch with Britain over EU Referendum
Cameron was at it again yesterday, trying to persuade MPs that the pathetic deal would bring about a fundamental change in Britain’s relationship ...

Demi Lovato Explains Her Passion After Taylor Swift 'Shade'
Demi Lovato is seemingly apologizing for throwing “shade” at Taylor Swift after her donation to Kesha . The 22-year-old entertainer took to ...

Vanessa Hudgens & Her Mom Pay Tribute to Her Late Father
Vanessa Hudgens ‘ father passed late last month but she is keeping his memory alive and continuing to share about him on social media. The 27-year-old ...

Kourtney, Khloe & Kim Kardashian Honor Robert Kardashian’s Birthday: Rob Kardashian Ignores Family For ...
If Robert Kardashian were still alive, the Keeping Up With The Kardashians clan would have celebrated his 72nd birthday Monday. But although ...

Marie Hatch: Woman, 97, Evicted From Home After 66 Years
Marie Hatch is 97-years-old. She is battling her second round with cancer and has little to no family. The only thing Marie has is the wood-shingled ...

Republican candidate Kasich's 'kitchen' comment draws scorn
Republican presidential candidate John Kasich drew scorn on Monday after a video emerged in which he told a crowd that early in his career, he ...

AT&T and Intel to test 4G LTE for drones to potentially increase their flight range and reduce signal ...
Roger Cheng / CNET : AT&T and Intel to test 4G LTE for drones to potentially increase their flight range and reduce signal interference — AT&T, ...

Breakthrough: US, Russia Agree on Syria Ceasefire Starting February 27
Cessation of hostilities in Syria is expected to start on Saturday, February 27, according to a joint statement issued by the US State Department. ...