Can't get FreeBSD 6.0 to recognize my AC-97 audio device

Hi,
	I installed FreeBSD 6.0 to my Dell OptiPlex GX150 and everything
worked like charm until I tried to get the audio device to work. To
my great supprise the integrated AC-97 audio device was not recognized
by my newly compiled kernel. I also tried to put all kinds of hints into
loader.conf file without success. Is there anything I could still do
about this?

						Jyri
0
Jyri
2/12/2006 12:05:57 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Jyri wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I installed FreeBSD 6.0 to my Dell OptiPlex GX150 and everything
Is that 6.0-RELEASE or 6.0-STABLE?
There are lots of fixes to the sound system from -release to -stable.

> worked like charm until I tried to get the audio device to work. To
> my great supprise the integrated AC-97 audio device was not recognized
> by my newly compiled kernel. I also tried to put all kinds of hints into
> loader.conf file without success. Is there anything I could still do
> about this?

If you are running 6.0-stable, you should describe the details of your
hardware, system and problems on the freebsd-multimedia mailing list,
That's where the audio experts hang out.

HTH
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
Jyri wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I installed FreeBSD 6.0 to my Dell OptiPlex GX150 and everything
> worked like charm until I tried to get the audio device to work. To
> my great supprise the integrated AC-97 audio device was not recognized
> by my newly compiled kernel. I also tried to put all kinds of hints into
> loader.conf file without success. Is there anything I could still do
> about this?
>
> 						Jyri
Hi Jyri,
         Had a similar problem on my notebook with integrated AC97 sound.

Check out this handbook page;

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

I found that adding the option;

device sound

to my kernel config file fixed the problem. Or you can load a generic
sound module with kldload or loader.conf. Refer back to the handbook URL
for more specific info.

Hope this helps.

--
"If you are new to UNIX, you may be used to clicking something and
seeing either an "OK" message, an error, nothing, or (all too often) a
Jyri wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed FreeBSD 6.0 to my Dell OptiPlex GX150 and everything
> worked like charm until I tried to get the audio device to work. To
> my great supprise the integrated AC-97 audio device was not recognized
> by my newly compiled kernel. I also tried to put all kinds of hints into
> loader.conf file without success. Is there anything I could still do
> about this?
>
> Jyri

   If you have no sound drivers compiled into your kernel you can do this:
kldload snd_driver. This will try all the sound kernel modules to try and
locate one that works. If it hits on one that loads successfully, you can
identify it this way: cat /dev/sndstat

   If you find a kernel sound module that works on your hardware just put a
couple of lines like this in /boot/loader.conf:

sound_load="YES"
snd_via8233_load="YES"

These are what is in mine. Replace the snd_xxxxx_load with the module that
snd_driver found (if indeed it found one) from above.

-Jason

0
Jason
2/12/2006 1:13:27 PM
Another alternative is to try one of the sound drivers provided by
"Opensound.com". I have a realtec AC260 (AC 97) onboard card and it
didnt work. But you might be luckier.

0
AsmAlex
2/13/2006 8:46:40 AM
Another alternative is to try one of the sound drivers provided by
"Opensound.com". I have a realtec AC260 (AC 97) onboard card and it
didnt work. But you might be luckier.

0
AsmAlex
2/13/2006 8:46:46 AM
AsmAlex wrote:

> Another alternative is to try one of the sound drivers provided by
> "Opensound.com". I have a realtec AC260 (AC 97) onboard card and it
> didnt work. But you might be luckier.

Yes - this is the "out" if there is no support in FreeBSD directly for the
hardware.

-Jason

0
Jason
2/14/2006 10:55:15 AM
Opensound drivers are semi-free. They rund 3 hours after booting. If my
one would work, i wouldnt mind to buy a license for 49 bucks. Still
better than having to use another OS.

0
AsmAlex

Can't compile Samba ports under FreeBSD 6.0
Hi I made the mistake after upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.0 to follow the instructions too closely: Eg. I did make delete-old-libs Anyway, most programs didn't work anymore due to missing libraries so I recompiled most of them. Samba is giving me problems, it doesn't compile and fails during configure with: checking for test routines... configure: error: cant find test code. Aborting config Google didn't return anything interesting always linked to rather old version of Samba (circ 2002). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you JY Jean-Yves Avenard wrote: > Samba is giving me problems, it doesn't compile and fails during > configure with: > checking for test routines... configure: error: cant find test code. > Aborting config Looks like libcups was still calling the old libssl which was removed earlier. Will know in an hour when it finishes recompiling cups, it's a 400Mhz P3, it takes forever :( JY ...

D845PEBT2 MB and USB2.0 devices ? Can't get 2 USB2.0 devices to work at once.
I have my case (Kingwin) front usb port connected to the onboard usb connectors. I cannot connect 2 usb2.0 devices at the same time. The second one will not be recognized by XP also it doesn't appear to get power (eg, no led lit on card reader). If I connect a 1.0 usb and 2.0 usb device, both work fine. Should 2 usb 2.0 devices be able to run at the same time? I had seen this when I had a HP 300e dvd burner and ADS hard drive kit both connected to the PC and thought it was some conflict. But now I just got a 2.0 Sandisk card reader and it also won't work if the HP burner is plugged ...

Can't run Azureus on FreeBSD 6.0/JDK15/Gnome
All, I'm trying to get Azureus 2.4 to run under FreeBSD. I've successfully built JDK15 (after reinstalling my OS) and run into this message when I try to execute azureus. "/usr/local/azureus/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so: Shared object "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0" not found, required by "libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so"" Is there a package or port that contains "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0"? Any help appreciated. Regards, Monty =================== Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/local/azureus/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so: Shared object "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0" not found, required by "libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so" at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1676) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822) at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:19) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:122) at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.mainwindow.SWTThread.<init&g...

WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going
Folks, I suspect that interest in drivers other than GPS and PPS are waning, in fact I have 3 GPS based servers as well, but thought I'd try something else. I have a Traconex 1020 WWV receiver used with driver 3 which works rather well, so I thought I would add the audio driver (36) to the mix. System is an older Dell workstation with FreeBSD 5.3. The NTP version is 4.2.0a-20050303, although I've tried others, and even BSD 5.4 The sound 'card' is on the motherboard. I did: kldload snd_driver which resulted in: May 19 19:57:01 Fuzzball kernel: pcm0: <Intel ICH2 (82801BA)...

can't get desired xorg resolution with FreeBSD 7.0
I have a laptop with a Radeon Mobility card on which I've been running FreeBSD 6.2 with Xorg 7.2 using a 1024x768 resolution. On a different slice of the same laptop, I installed FreeBSD 7.0/Xorg 7.3. With the same xorg.conf, X is coming up with a 1400x1050 resolution, which is too fine for my eyes. A google search led me to think that setting the desired resolution could be done using xrandr, but the command: xrandr --fb 1024x768 gives an error message: xrandr: specified screen 1024x768 not large enough for output LVDS \ (1400x1050+0+0) The contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf: ----------------------------------- Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "X.org Configured" Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" EndSection Section "Files" RgbPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb" ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/CID/" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/" FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" EndSection Section "Module" Load "dbe" Load "dri" Load "extmo...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going
Roger, if you can file a bug report with bugzilla and attach your changes we can ask Dave to look at it and integrate it with the code base. It sounds like you did an excellent job of fixing things. Danny ----- Original Message Follows ----- > Hi all. > > I haven't done an update in a week or two, so thought I would update > everyone on whats going on. > > I bought an SB card, but the snd_driver load didn't even see it, so > I put the 'white box' special back in. After restarting, I saw lots > more action. Started getting wwv3 and 4 messages, but i...

FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE doesn't recognize USB 2.0 TV/FM device
Is there some kernel module I need to load to recognize Video4Linux/libv4l devices? I recently bought a Conexant UB445-U TV/FM/video/audio capture device. The linuxtv.org web pages referenced from FreeBSD.org claim Conexant cx23102-based devices are supported by the cx231xx driver. The FreeBSD programs such as xawtv, dtv, and vdr claim to work with v4l devices. However, upon plugging it in to a USB 2.0 port, FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE says: kernel: ugen2.5: <Conexant Corporation> at usbus2 (good), but then (several times): devd: Executing 'logger Unknown ...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going #3
Dave, I think that there is little disagreement over this. Discussions on parameters and algorithms probably belong more in hackers rather than here but it doesn't matter a great deal. We recommend that people put the suggested changes in bugzilla so there's one place to go and it's easy to find, but all such issues need to go to you so you can review them and decide on the best course of action. Not all fixes that people recommend can be used under all circumstances so they always need careful review. Danny ----- Original Message Follows ----- > Harlan, > > We do indee...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going #2
----- Original Message Follows ----- > Danny, et al, > > There is a good deal of electrical engineering theory and practice in > the WWV/H and CHU and IRIG audio drivers. In fact, I use those drivers > as examples of optimum demodulation/decoding in my course on > digital/analog communications engineering. I have no problem should > somebody send a bug report to bugzilla, but the only person to fix > problems with the audio drivers will be me. As I don't read bugzilla > reports directly, the best course is to send reports about the audio > drivers direc...

if instead of 0.0.0.0 netmask is 255.0.0.0, I can't go on internet. That doesn't make sense...
Hello 1) I'm running W2k on PC called A ( it's not really named A, but for the sake of argument ...) and if my routing table has ( destionation )0.0.0.0 ( netmask )255.0.0.0 ( gateway )192.168.2.1 instead of ( destionation )0.0.0.0 (netmask)0.0.0.0 (gateway)192.168.2.1 then I can't get on internet. I know address 0.0.0.0 basically means "send the packet on internet", but why needs netmask be 0.0.0.0? Afterall, all that netmask 255.0.0.0 should tell A is that destination address is not on the same network as A is, and thus should send it to d...

FreeBSD 6.2 install can't find my keyboard
G'day there One & All, I've just tried to install 6.2 and found a problem that I have no idea how to get around. I've used Linux before, and currently have Ubuntu dual booting with WinXP Home version on my Dell machine. I want to put FreeBSD on an older machine I have sitting here to act as a server/gateway for my home nework (1 x server; 2 x desktops in total). I thought I'd first install on my main desktop to see how it all went. Well, the boot cd works fine. I get the initial menu and all gets under way. From there, no matter which option I select I see that all runs until USB hub initialisation starts and that's the end of it. I get error messages telling me that I have no USB and that the system is going to shut down. I don't recall the exact message, but I can run it again to quote accurately if need be. My question is; how can it not initialise the USB hub when it was obviously working or I'd not have been able to type the menu option with my USB keyboard to start the process to begin with??!! As a FreeBSD newbie, and not that much better with any other *nix, I don't know where to start looking. There are no log files, as nothing is mounted at this stage in the process and hence there is nowhere to save anything for later examination. All in all, it's a bit of a conundrum. Can somebody please point me in the direction of a solution? My friend Google gave me some clues, but...

Can't get AVG 6.0 ANTIVIRUS to run on PEGASUS
Installed AVG 6,0 free (avg6642fu_free) Installed avgemc483us. E-mail scanner set to verify incoming and outgoing. E-mail is not being scanned. Is there anything else I need to do, or will it not run on Pegasus?? Because there's more to the internet than hits alone, Pete wrote: >Installed AVG 6,0 free (avg6642fu_free) >Installed avgemc483us. >E-mail scanner set to verify incoming and outgoing. >E-mail is not being scanned. Is there anything else I need to do, or >will it not run on Pegasus?? My UK edition of AVG 6.0 says, in the e-mail scanner tab: "E-...

Re: Can't get BIND to use GSSAPI from /usr/local on FreeBSD
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060707000103070208050207 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I've also reported this as a bind bug, but I'm posting it here as I think it answers the case for the BSD user in the thread entitled: Can't get BIND to use GSSAPI from /usr/local on FreeBSD (Patch attached which fixes it for me) I've traced my problem to what looks like a mismatch of expectations between heimdal 1.3.3 and bind 9 (BIND 9.7.1-P2) in lib/dns/openssl_link.c, entropy_...

can't install firefox-1.0.1 on FreeBSD 5.3
Hi ! I downloaded the package firefox-1.0.1.p_2.tgz and when I try to install it on FreeBSD 5.3 I have this problem : pkg_add firefox-1.0.1.p_2.tgz pkg_add: could not find package imake-4.4.0 ! pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-libraries-4.4.0_1 ! pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-fontEncodings-4.4.0 ! pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-fontScalable-4.4.0_1 ! I have already imake 6.7 installed so why this error ? If somebody know how to install firefox-1.0.1.p_2.tgz, thank you very much for giving the solution :-) Fred fred <fred@no-spam.fr> writes: ...

pgnuplot 4.0 can't get 'with labels' feature to work
Hi, I can plot the curve just fine unless I try to add labels to the data points. I have seen this labels technique working on several gnuplot tutorials. I cannot find a reason why mine doesn't work. Thanks in advance, Ed WinXP SP2 pgnuplot 4.0 (works) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints (doesn't work) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints,'' using 2:3:2 with labels ^ expecting 'lines', 'points', 'linespoints',...

Can't use my //e because I can't get any software for it
Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be able to create a bootable 3.5" di...

Using Apache 2.0.40 in FreeBSD, I can't see the Sub-Directories !!!!
Hi all... As read above I am Using FreeBSD and Apache 2.0.40, but the matter with that is that I have some directories like this ..../htdocs ..../htdocs/templates ..../htdocs/templates_c ..../htdocs/templates_c/%%17 ..../htdocs/templates_c/%%17/%%%98788 ..../htdocs/templates_c/%%17/%%%32132 The first that are without % work perfect, but the others I can't see it int the browser... I have already set the correct attributes (White, Read and Execute)... And the code of PHP can find it ... in the include(../templates_c/%%17/index.tpl.php) What Do I Have to change ??...

[6.2 + Via VT3043 Rhine] Can't resolve ftp.freebsd.org?
Hello This is my first attempt at installing FreeBSD. I burned a minimal ISO to install FB over the Net. The embedded "Via VT3043/VT86C100A Rhine PC Ethernet card" got its IP configuration successfully from my DHCP server, but when I tell the installer to download files in "FTP Passive through Firewall" mode from ftp.freebsd.org, it says it can't resolve the name. I tried FTP servers in France, same error. I changed the DNS server from my ISP's to OpenDNS in the network settings in the installer, same result. I have a second PC in my private LAN, which has no problem accessing the Net at this very moment (I'm typing this message on this PC.) Does FreeBSD have problems working with this embedded Ethernet interface? Do I need to do something special to get to the next step? Thank you. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 01:10:57 UTC, Gilles Ganault <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > The embedded "Via VT3043/VT86C100A Rhine PC Ethernet card" got its IP > configuration successfully from my DHCP server, but when I tell the > installer to download files in "FTP Passive through Firewall" mode > from ftp.freebsd.org, it says it can't resolve the name. > Does FreeBSD have problems working with this embedded Ethernet > interface? Do I need to do something special to get to the next step? I'm using two machine on 6.2 with the Rhine hardware. No problem here, no special action. -- ...

Another 'can't get mysql server to run' post (6.0RC1)
Here is what is in place so far: 6.0RC1 mysql-4.15 I have installed mysql41-server from the ports Placed 'enable_mysql="YES"' and mysql_dbdir="/var/db/mysql" in rc.conf Run /usr/local/bin/mysql_install-db, creating a brand new mysql directory. I changed ownership of /var/db/mysql to root:wheel (and also root:mysql) I changed everything inside that to mysql:mysql. Nothing works. Not mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/var/db/mysql Not /usr/localetc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start Not /usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start Nothing. /var/log/messages g...

ntp-dev-4.2.1p250-RC won't build on FreeBSD 6.0
ntp-dev-4.2.1p250-RC It seems ntpd_intres.c in this RC needs EAI_NODATA to be defined. It should be IFDEF'd like it is in ntpdc.c and ntpq.c. Bug #611 is filed. - John John Kline wrote: > ntp-dev-4.2.1p250-RC > > It seems ntpd_intres.c in this RC needs EAI_NODATA to be defined. It > should be IFDEF'd like it is in ntpdc.c and ntpq.c. > > Bug #611 is filed. > There was a bug report #438 on exactly the same issue but this is a situation where it just got reintroduced. #ifdef is probably the best solution here. I was just reading RFC 3493 which is informat...

Can't get Nero 6 Ultra to even recognize Samsung 52x32x52 RW drive
After briefly using the Nero 5.5 OEM software that came bundled with my Samsung drive, I bought the retail box version of Nero 6 Ultra. After installing it, though, it doesn't even recognize that I have a CD drive. How can this be? Am I overlooking something totally obvious? TIA, Bill .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com ( No Pipsque...

Can't upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0
I've been trying to upgrade to or fresh install version 7.0 of the Acrobat Reader but can't get it to run. Version 6 is fine but if I try and do anything with version 7 it seems to do nothing (or perhaps it shuts down so quick nothing appears on screen?). I get no error messages or any events in the event logs. I've removed 7.0 and reinstalled 6.0 and all is well again. I'm at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Any ideas? Any chance that you just installed SP2 on Win XP? That may be the problem "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

if lisp can add any feature, then why doesn't it get used? I don't get it..
I really don't and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp smalltalk io haskell aggghhh!! On 2008-09-06 11:46:32 +0100, gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> said: > I really don't > > and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp > smalltalk io haskell > > aggghhh!! Isn't the answer *precisely* in your asking the question? Lisp is not used by "people who don't get it". Not because those that do are any smarter or born geniuses, but surely *because* they decided to put in *the effort* to learn and see "...

Web resources about - Can't get FreeBSD 6.0 to recognize my AC-97 audio device - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc