can't make DVD/CD device open to 'wheel' permanently

I'm having lots of 'fun' trying to get MPlayer to work (generally) and
with playing DVDs.  I am using a T22 Thinkpad I installed FreeBSD 6 on,
and generally, I've been able to muddle through getting all the various
devices to work (sound, graphics, etc.) but have been stymied by the
DVD/CD aspect, namely:

1) during install, it created acd0 (cd rom) and ad0 (dvd) devices.
When i'm using my regular user account, though, i keep getting
permissions issues with using them.   If I go to a command prompt or
use Konqueror as root, I can assign these devices to the user group my
regular user is in, BUT, when I reboot, it keeps resetting them back to
'operator' - this is driving me NUTS - why can't it respect a change I
made as root and KEEP the change?

2) I can get MPlayer to work but it keeps giving me errors for
accessing DVDs (namely 'can't open VMG info!', etc. - nor does sound
work.  I have tried uninstalling/changing versions several
times/recompiling, etc. but nothing seems to get to success.  I had a
similar problem when using redhat 7 on an earlier Thinkpad but when I
upgraded to RH9, that problem went away...

thoughts?

amigaboy

0
amigaboy
10/7/2006 3:38:36 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

amigaboy wrote:
> regular user is in, BUT, when I reboot, it keeps resetting them back to
> 'operator' - this is driving me NUTS - why can't it respect a change I
> made as root and KEEP the change?

because the change was made on a filesystem populated upon boot.
see devfs.conf(5)

> 2) I can get MPlayer to work but it keeps giving me errors for
> accessing DVDs (namely 'can't open VMG info!', etc. - nor does sound

does sound consistently not work?
0
james
10/7/2006 5:57:17 PM
In article <1160235516.201454.309940@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
amigaboy <bi670@scn.org> wrote:

>I'm having lots of 'fun' trying to get MPlayer to work (generally) and
>with playing DVDs.  I am using a T22 Thinkpad I installed FreeBSD 6 on,
>and generally, I've been able to muddle through getting all the various
>devices to work (sound, graphics, etc.) but have been stymied by the
>DVD/CD aspect, namely:
>
>1) during install, it created acd0 (cd rom) and ad0 (dvd) devices.
>When i'm using my regular user account, though, i keep getting
>permissions issues with using them.   If I go to a command prompt or
>use Konqueror as root, I can assign these devices to the user group my
>regular user is in, BUT, when I reboot, it keeps resetting them back to
>'operator' - this is driving me NUTS - why can't it respect a change I
>made as root and KEEP the change?

Because /dev is controlled by devfs, which is configured via /etc/devfs.conf
and/or /etc/devfs.rules.

>2) I can get MPlayer to work but it keeps giving me errors for
>accessing DVDs (namely 'can't open VMG info!', etc. - nor does sound
>work.  I have tried uninstalling/changing versions several
>times/recompiling, etc. but nothing seems to get to success.  I had a
>similar problem when using redhat 7 on an earlier Thinkpad but when I
>upgraded to RH9, that problem went away...

Would need more specifics to diagnose, but just thought I'd mention that,
for playing DVDs, you may want to give ogle a try.  It makes navigating DVD
menus and such a breeze, and works very well overall.  It will also play
from either an actual physical DVD or a DVD image file.  I use it all the
time, myself.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"
0

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'^=' and '~='?

Can't mount CD's or DVD's
The system: Dual Core Athlon 4Gig Mem. OS Opensuse 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13-15.12-smp x86_64 I've got 2 DVD drives. A cheap IDE DVD burner that lists as "DC DQ60" under the hardware listing and an old Creative SCSI DVD-RAM RAM1220S. They both were previously working fine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now neither one will mount any media I place in either one. I tried several CD's and DVD's that all mount fine in both a Suse 10.1 system and a RedHat EL 4.0 system. They contain various OS installs. Both drives are recognized and are listed in the YaST hardware listing. Both drives open wh...

open and read functions (can't make 'read' work..)
Hi all, I'm trying to read from the txt file 'ip.packets.2.txt' using the read function. It seems everything ok, but I get a -1 when executing >>bytesr = read(fdo1, bufread, 2); The 'open' function returns the file dsc 3. So this seems ok.. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks! FBM #define BUFSIZE 1024 #include <fcntl.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> double now() { struct timeval t; gettimeofday(&t,NULL); return ((double)t.tv_sec + (double)t.tv_usec/1000000.0); } int main...

open and read functions (can't make 'read' work..)
Hi, I'm trying to read from the txt file 'ip.packets.2.txt' using the read function. It seems everything ok, but I get a -1 when executing >>bytesr = read(fdo1, bufread, 2); The 'open' function returns the file dsc 3. So this seems ok.. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks! FBM #define BUFSIZE 1024 #include <fcntl.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> double now() { struct timeval t; gettimeofday(&t,NULL); return ((double)t.tv_sec + (double)t.tv_usec/1000000.0); } int main(in...

Can't change 'Open with'
I'm a Mac OS 10.4 tiger user. Now .tex file is opened with 'Script Editor.app'. I'm trying to open tex file with 'TeXShop'. I can change a tex file open with 'TeXShop' by changing 'Open with:' but when I push 'Change all...' it reverts to 'Script Editor.app'. What is the problem? In article <1132038427.545051.37520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, csmgroup@gmail.com wrote: > I'm a Mac OS 10.4 tiger user. > Now .tex file is opened with 'Script Editor.app'. I'm trying to open > tex file with 'TeXShop'...

Why can't we 'tformfwd' a cp2tform(..., 'polynomial')
Hi, Just as an example: This is allowed xybase = reshape(randn(12,1),6,2); t_affine = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'affine'); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_affine,xybase,xybase); but this t_poly = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'polynomial',2); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_poly,xybase,xybase); gives an error "Function TFORMFWD expected T's forward_fcn field to be non- empty." I checked the code a bit and indeed, with the 'polynomial' case, the findPolynomialTransform() function has at its end trans = maketform('custom',2,2,[],@inv_polynomial,[A B]); wher...

Removing the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y'
Im having trouble with figuring out how to write a function which will remove the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y' from any input string in matlab. for example modstr(pixy) should result in ans = 'p' or modstr(picture) should result in ans = 'pcure' if anyone could offer any help or hints i would really appreciate it. Thank You >> modstr=@(s) s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) modstr = @(s)s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) >> modstr('picture') ans = pcure % Bruno ...

(Bash completion) 'cd' and 'make'
'cd' and 'make' are the only 2 commands that I really appreciate and completion. For newbies, here are relevant section from my ~/.profile: First, 'cd' is redefined to use 'pushd' to build the directory stack (ie. popd, pushd, dirs). <C-t> is bound to 'popd', so that you can jump back to previous directories. If no match is found from directory stack, then filesystem directories will be tried. cd() { pushd "${1:-$HOME}" } bind -m vi-insert -x '"\C-t": popd' _cd () { local cur=${COMP_WORDS...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

How come I can't use 'sqrt' and 'fabs'?
Hi, group, When I compile my code, the error message are: "error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" "error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" I already add the math library, what does this error mean? Thanks. Vol. Vol wrote: > Hi, group, > When I compile my code, the error message are: > "error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" > "error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" > > I already add the math library, what does this...

i can't insert 'a''a' in a field with size 3
hi, i run INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') but DBMS oracle returns this error: ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column (FIELD1 size is 3!) what's the error? Fici wrote: > hi, > i run > INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') > but DBMS oracle returns this error: > ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column > (FIELD1 size is 3!) > what's the error? SQL> create table test ( 2 field1 VARCHAR2(3)); Table created. SQL> INSERT INTO test 2 (field1) 3 VALUES 4 ('a''a'); 1 row created. SQL> SELECT * FROM test; FIE --- a'a SQL> try the following in SQL*Plus: show define Post the result If you are not using SQL*Plus then your front-end tool is defective or needs to be reconfigured. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Mar 10, 6:38 pm, Fici <moretto.feder...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi, > i run > INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') > but DBMS oracle returns this error: > ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column > (FIELD1 size is 3!) > what's the error? Might be one of unicode charsets having each symbol more than one byte and column size defined in bytes not chars. Check DB charset and...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked for...

Perl's DBD::mysql will 'make' but won't 'make test' on Solaris 10
Hey all, I've posted this previously on a mysql group to no avail, so I thought I might ask and see if anyone here has any ideas since it seems to be having problems with a Solaris supplied library (libmtmalloc.so.1) I am running solaris 10, with the solaris cc compiler. the module compiles fine. however, the first test of 'make test' fails as below. I've cut most of the bloated output, but if anyone thinks it would help I could certainly post it. If this has nothing to do with Solaris let me know, and accept my apologies. TIA, -jp Running make test PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /u...

can't open 'databases' folder
Hello, I just installed SQL Server 2000 on my home computer and am connecting to a remote SQL server over the Internet. I can log into the server just fine and see 7 folders including the 'Databases' folder. I can open up all of the other 6 folders but for some crazy reason when I double click on the 'Databases' folder, I can't open it! The hourglass appears and Enterprise Manager basically locks up. Does anyone know what's going on????? Please email response to nkulshresh@hotmail.com as well as posting to group. Thanks, Navin [posted and mailed, please reply in news]...

can't open 'm file'
when i open 'file-> new-> m-file' this message.... 'Failed to open editor. Load of Java classes failed.' what is it? what is wrong with my computer~~ ninaki wrote: > when i open 'file-> new-> m-file' > > this message.... > > 'Failed to open editor. Load of Java classes failed.' > > what is it? what is wrong with my computer~~ I'm going to assume you're using some version of Windows. I know this is trite, but have you tried exiting MATLAB, restarting Windows, and then restarting MATLAB? Bob Pownall i did it.. ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

can't include 'http...foo.php', but can include 'http...foo.txt'
This seems weird, but when I use the following code, include 'http://www.foo.com/includes.php'; includedfunction(); I am told that it is a call to an undefined function, but 'includedfunction' is on the server. the following includes work fine, and the run the called function with no trouble: include 'http://www.foo.com/includes.phtml'; include 'http://www.foo.com/includes.txt'; all three include.php,.phtml & .txt are on the server and are exactly identical. I am running php version 4.1.1. Anyone have any ideas? In article <768682d0.0308190004.dd...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

Can't 'dd' copy music CD...?
Hey folks, Not sure I've ever encountered this before, but for most of my CDs, be they data or music, I normally make copies of them. I think this is probably pretty predominant these days. I normally just do the usual -- 'dd if=/dev/dvd of=appropriate-cd-name,iso', and then burn a copy if that's what I want using 'cdrecord'. I recently bought some language CDs for learning a new language and tried the above 'dd' and I got: $ dd if=/dev/dvd of=language-cd1.iso dd: reading /dev/dvd: Input/output error 0+0 records in 0+0 records out Also when I try to m...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
OR you could use ARRAY data new; set old; array igor $ (*) str_mo str_da str_yr; do over igor; if igor ~in (' ','.') then do; end; run; Prasad Ravi Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENIC To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU S.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy ...

Web resources about - can't make DVD/CD device open to 'wheel' permanently - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc