dhclient leasing 0.0.0.0

hi,

OS: FreeBSD 4.9-Release

im starting the dhclient at bootup from the rc.conf file.
in the process list it shows as:
   /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.ed1.pid ed1
the ipaddress leased shows:
# ifconfig -a
faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:02:dd:1f:10:89

after killing the dhclient process and starting it again with:
# dhclient
everything is fine and i get a working ipaddress.
my dhcp config parameters in rc.conf are standard (sysinstall generated).
Since my rc.firewall script automatically finds the ipaddress
i will have to restart the firewall as well.

Does someone  have a clue how to persuade dhclient to find the right
ip-address at bootup?
Also there is no logentry leading to any problems with dhclient.

Thanks in advance,
sake.
0
sake
2/13/2004 8:21:53 AM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

sake@snafu.de (sake) writes:

> im starting the dhclient at bootup from the rc.conf file.
> in the process list it shows as:
>    /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.ed1.pid ed1
> the ipaddress leased shows:
> # ifconfig -a
> faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>         ether 00:02:dd:1f:10:89
>
> after killing the dhclient process and starting it again with:
> # dhclient
> everything is fine and i get a working ipaddress.
> my dhcp config parameters in rc.conf are standard (sysinstall generated).
> Since my rc.firewall script automatically finds the ipaddress
> i will have to restart the firewall as well.
>
> Does someone  have a clue how to persuade dhclient to find the right
> ip-address at bootup?
> Also there is no logentry leading to any problems with dhclient.

The problem is that it isn't finding *any* address.

Maybe you should try snooping the traffic to see what's getting sent
on the wire?

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
	resume/CV [with username/password "public"]

i recall that fixed mine...your milage may vary

i changed

wachtor

to wachtor.computedatainc.com

"Lowell Gilbert" <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote in message
> sake@snafu.de (sake) writes:
>
> > im starting the dhclient at bootup from the rc.conf file.
> > in the process list it shows as:
> >    /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.ed1.pid ed1
> > the ipaddress leased shows:
> > # ifconfig -a
> > faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> > ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
> >         ether 00:02:dd:1f:10:89
> >
> > after killing the dhclient process and starting it again with:
> > # dhclient
> > everything is fine and i get a working ipaddress.
> > my dhcp config parameters in rc.conf are standard (sysinstall
generated).
> > Since my rc.firewall script automatically finds the ipaddress
> > i will have to restart the firewall as well.
> >
> > Does someone  have a clue how to persuade dhclient to find the right
> > ip-address at bootup?
> > Also there is no logentry leading to any problems with dhclient.
>
> The problem is that it isn't finding *any* address.
>
> Maybe you should try snooping the traffic to see what's getting sent
> on the wire?
>

> --
> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
> resume/CV [with username/password "public"]
> at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/

0
capt