FreeBSD 4.7 doesn't support Serial ATA ?

I just bought a 160G hard driver for my computer. However, when my FreeBSD
try to initial this Hard drive, it halt.  I unplug the hard drive and update
the kernal, it still halt when i have my hard drive connect. What should I
do to solve this problem without install the new version of the BSD ??????
Thank you very much~~

0
shangjung
2/8/2004 2:10:51 AM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

You asking:

 > FreeBSD 4.7 doesn't support Serial ATA ?

Yes. FreeBSD 4.7 was released in October 2002. The Serial ATA
1.0a specification dates on January 7th 2003.

What is the type of SATA controller you are using
(manufacturer/model/chip)?

Gru� RH

--
It never ceases to amaze me how courteous the BSD community is,
especially when responding to obvious troll bait.

--
It never ceases to amaze me how courteous the BSD community is,
especially when responding to obvious troll bait.
                                        Black Dragon - c.u.b.f.m
0
Rainer
2/8/2004 9:48:10 AM
shangjung wu wrote:

> I just bought a 160G hard driver for my computer. However, when my FreeBSD
> try to initial this Hard drive, it halt.  I unplug the hard drive and update
> the kernal, it still halt when i have my hard drive connect. What should I
> do to solve this problem without install the new version of the BSD ??????

AFAIK SATA support is only present in 5.2 (maybe late 5.1, but I'm not
sure).  If it does appear in the 4.x series then I'd expect it to only
appear in 4.9 (the most recent in the -STABLE branch).

--
   Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.
Rob MacGregor schrieb:

> AFAIK SATA support is only present in 5.2 (maybe late 5.1, but I'm not
> sure).  If it does appear in the 4.x series then I'd expect it to only
> appear in 4.9 (the most recent in the -STABLE branch).

Well, SATA support is not provided by OS rather by controller.
If your OS supports the controller chip, then there is no
problem to use SATA with older operating systems.

For example FreeBSD 4.7 has native support for HPT372/374. These
chips are used with Highpoint's SOHO SATA controllers, e.g.
RocketRAID 1520 resp. 1640. Although FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE is
older than the final SATA specification it runs with SATA hardware.

Gru� RH

--
It never ceases to amaze me how courteous the BSD community is,
especially when responding to obvious troll bait.
                                        Black Dragon - c.u.b.f.m
0
Rainer
2/8/2004 11:05:01 AM
Btw. HighPoint offers binary drivers for their SATA controllers
down to FreeBSD 4.1.

Gru� RH

--
It never ceases to amaze me how courteous the BSD community is,
especially when responding to obvious troll bait.
                                        Black Dragon - c.u.b.f.m
0
Rainer
2/8/2004 11:13:27 AM
I used Western Digital, IDE controller

"Rainer Homburg" <rahom@gmx.net> wrote in message

> You asking:
>
>  > FreeBSD 4.7 doesn't support Serial ATA ?
>
> Yes. FreeBSD 4.7 was released in October 2002. The Serial ATA
> 1.0a specification dates on January 7th 2003.
>
> What is the type of SATA controller you are using
> (manufacturer/model/chip)?
>
> Gru� RH
>

> --
> It never ceases to amaze me how courteous the BSD community is,
> especially when responding to obvious troll bait.
>                                         Black Dragon - c.u.b.f.m

0
shangjung

4.2.1-RC1 on FreeBSD 4.11 doesn't seem to discipline the local clock
I've got a Soekris 4501 (three actually) running FreeBSD 4.11. I just added a modem to pickup ACTS with, and discovered that ntp in base FreeBSD isn't compiled with it as a valid refclock? So, I pulled down the 4.2.1 release candidate, configured with just --enable-acts, and gave it a shot. The clock just slowly drifted away from it's peers and ACTS. Up to this point, using base ntpd from FreeBSD and multiple internet sources (and it's 3 local peers I maintain) it has stayed within 10ms, I cut the cord when it drifted out past 150ms this evening. Should I be using ...

Mac doesn't support serial ATA Hard drives
Maybe it will in OS XI if it ever comes out. In article <sUI5g.6$gq3.1@fe11.lga>, "Homey" <me@Sockpuppet.com> wrote: > Maybe it will in OS XI if it ever comes out. What are you talking about? Of course it does. All of the Intel Macs use SATA. So do the G5 Power Macs. Mike In article <abc-26B9F5.09202202052006@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote: > In article <sUI5g.6$gq3.1@fe11.lga>, "Homey" <me@Sockpuppet.com> wrote: > > > Maybe it will in OS XI if it ever comes out. > > What ...

gnuplot with png/jpeg on FreeBSD 4.9 or FreeBSD 4.7
I cannot get gnuplot 4.0.0 made with gd/jpeg/png support. This was not a problem on 3.7 on the same FreeBSD 4.7/4.9 machines. I tried the options --with-gd=/usr/local/lib and --with-gd=/usr/local/lib but no success, all png and gd options in ../configure report "checking for ... no". All libgd and libpng, libjpeg can be found in /usr/local/lib and all required header files can be found in /usr/local/include. Gnuplot is made but always without png/jpeg support. Lutz lutz <lutz@nuevatec.com> wrote: > I cannot get gnuplot 4.0.0 made with gd/jpeg/png suppor...

can't mount xp file system on freebsd 4.7
mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has anyone else had any success with this? In article <3F21B9FE.4090007@cox.net>, Aaron Prillaman wrote: > mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs > mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured > > I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has > anyone else had any success with this? Does the /dev/ad1s1 device not exist? Kris In article <3F23073A.5020700@cox.net>, Aaron Prillama...

imapd.rc doesn't start at boot FreeBSD 6.1 Courier-imap 4.1.1
I can not get imapd.rc to start when the system comes up. imapd.rc is in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ /etc/rc.conf contains imapd.rc_enable="YES" I can start authdaemon and sqwebmail this way, but not imapd.rc....???? If I execute imapd.rc manually, everything seems to work fine. TIA Bernard Higonnet ...

Jedit 4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8 and Diablo-JDK1.3.1 - SIGILL 4
Hello, all - I've searched through Google (and on the Jedit site at sourceforge) for any other posts relative to this problem, and haven't found any. This post is to compare notes and see if this is truly unique to this machine or if someone else has seen this issue and has a ready answer for it. The installation of "Jedit" through the FreeBSD ports system seems to go fine - all the checksums match - and, since the installation program uses a "jar" file rather than the typical source code compile (and that throws no error messages), it seems as through Diablo-JDK1.3.1 is behaving properly. I have compiled and run another Java program using this JDK on this machine so I know it works OK in and of itself. When in KDE 3.2, starting "jedit" from the command line in a terminal window, I get a very long message listing all of the various green threads that threw the SIGILL 4* message (it seems to start with the command to show the spash screen). I also get a 56Meg core dump ("java.core"). An excerpt from the "SIGILL" message is below: *** SIGILL 4* illegal instruction Full thread dump Classic VM (diablo-1.3.1-0, green threads): "Image Fetcher 3" (TID:0x2883c920, sys_thread_t:0x8380480, state:R) prio=3 at java.awt.MediaTracker.setDone(MediaTracker.java:773) at java.awt.MediaEntry.setStatus(MediaTracker.java:846) at java.awt.ImageMediaEntry.imag...

[News] Review of 'Other' Operating Systems: FreeBSD 7.2, OpenBSD 4.5, ReactOS

[News] R.I.P. Linux 7.4 Gains ext4 Support, FreeBSD 7.1 Released

[FreeBSD 7.4] Serial Card
I'm successlessly trying to add a serial card to my server running FreeBSD 7.4 for weeks now. No matter whether it is a single or a multiserial one, it won't work. Anyway, it is a PCI card, for this system's hardware unfortunately doesn't support ISA slots any more. First I tried to load PUC as a module from /boot/loader.conf. Latest try was to build a kernel of my own activating PUC in the kernel configurarion. When booting, PUC says it finds the card, telling me the port addresses and IRQ assigned to the card. But devfs doesn't create the appropriate entry in /dev/ttyd?. Last try. When I activated the following entries in /boot/device.hints, I get the following output with DMESG: hint.sio.2.at="isa" hint.sio.2.port="0x3E8" hint.sio.2.irq="5" hint.sio.3.at="isa" hint.sio.3.port="0x2E8" hint.sio.3.irq="9" puc0: <Timedia technology 2 Port Serial> port 0xb400-0xb407,0xb000-0xb007 irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci2 device_attach: puc0 attach returned 6 sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0 sio2: port may not be enabled sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0 sio3: port may not be enabled - Do I need to define "pci2" instead of "isa" in /boot/device.hints? - The card has 2 ports. IRQ 9 is assigned to the card. Should I assign IRQ 9 to the hint.sio.2.irq entry, too? - Why aren't there 2 IRQs being assigned...

7.4 -> 7.4.1 upgrade with customization on freebsd
I installed 7.4 from the FreeBSD ports collection (I'm running 4.9-RELEASE). Did nothing special, just make && make install and all was well. I now have updated my ports collection via cvsup and see that the 7.4.1 port is available. So now I have several, very specific needs: 1) having now done some development in 7.4, I've decided I need to be able to exceed the default limit of 16 arguments for plpgsql functions 2) I would like to upgrade to 7.4.1 without having to re-edit any config files or change any paths. 3) I would like to prevent the database shown b...

Re: 'do over' doesn't work #4
Hi Ash, What is the purpose of your code? Looking at the test data it appears you want to replace missing numeric values with the number zero and missing character data with a "Z". Replacing missing numerics with zero seems like a pretty standard thing, and therefore there are a few ways to handle this in SAS. Replacing missing character variables with a character, on the other hand is a bit more difficult. You could either approach it with your array method as such: data have; infile cards missover; input x2 x1 x3 x4 x5$ x6$; cards; 2 . 5 1161 AB�LIEN ANIEL 35 6 3 1336 ...

ODBC doesn't support stored procedures? This can't be true
In Chip Irek's "A PRIMER ON USING DB2 WITH .NET" (www.15seconds.com), he states that "...ODBC doesn't support DB2 stored procedures. So if you are building an application heavily dependant on stored procedures, you need to eliminate ODBC as your access method and consider OleDb or the managed provider." Mr Irek is an IBM Architect with Global Services and according to the article, someone with .NET experience. Now, I'd ask Mr Irek this question myself, but my email comes back undeliverable. Does he mean this for just for .NET applications? This ca...

[FreeBSD 7.4] Rocketport multi-serial card
Hi! Anyone out there having managed to get a Comtrol Rocketport 8-port multiserial PCI card running? At the manufacturer's web site, I found a manual how to integrate that card into FreeBSD. It was written for FreeBSD 5.x, unfortunately there was no newer one. I removed the lines dev/rp/rp_isa.c and dev/rp/rp_pci.c out off the kernel configuration file. Then I changed the line dev/rp/rpc to dev/rp/rp.c optional rp isa pci. After that, I added the line device rp to the kernel configuration file. In sys/modules/Makefile I removed the line "rp \" (sic!, the manual said so). Built new kernel. With the next reboot, I got the following output: pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.0 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.1 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.2 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.3 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.4 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.5 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.6 (no driver attached) pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.7 (no driver attached) Looks like the card being recognized, but no driver was found. I then added the line "options COM_MULTIPORT" to the kernel configuration file, but the result was the same. Anyone any idea? TIA V* On 10/13/2012 06:06 PM, Volker Englisch wrote: > Comtrol Rocke...

FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print
Hi, I have FreeBSD 7 on a T43. FreeBSD Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon Jun 30 23:44:55 EDT 2008 root@Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STONE I can print from cups related programs such as firefox, openoffice, thunderbird.However I cannot print from programs that use the lpr settings such as nedit, acroread, and xpdf. When I try to print from nedit I get this error: Unable to print lpr:EWrror - no default destination available. The destination for lpr appears correct: [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 06:55 PM, Tue Jul 01]>which lpr /usr/local/bin/lpr The /etc/make.conf contains WITH_CUPS=YES CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES WITHOUT_LPR=YES I have the following cups related ports installed. cups-base-1.3.7_3 Common UNIX Printing System cups-pdf-2.4.7_1 A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers lpr-wrapper-0.6_3 A user level printer frontend However still no ability to print. So what can I do to gain the ablity to print from lpr? Sincerely, Brendhan Understudy wrote: > The /etc/make.conf contains > WITHOUT_LPR=YES GO_OUTSIDE_WITHOUT_PANTS=YES Somehow I just don't think that's right. - M Michael Sierchio wrote: > Understudy wrote: > >> The /etc/make.conf contains > >> WITHOUT_LPR=YES > > GO_OUTSIDE_WITHOUT_PANTS=YES > > S...

Leopard doesn't support Photoshop 7?
Heard this rumor on KGO (SF radio station) from Leo Laporte just now. Is that true? He said everyone who has an Intel-based Mac should install Leopard. He didn't seem as enthusiastic about G5 machines. Anyone install on a G5 and reasonably happy? In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-2B62B2.22105528102007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote: > Heard this rumor on KGO (SF radio station) from Leo Laporte just now. Is > that true? i haven't tried it myself but from what i have read, it doesn't work. keep in mind, photoshop...

Can't buildworld
I have done a cvs on my FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE system and am now wanting to make buildworld. The problem is, each time I attempt one the build will run for about one hour and then falls over when it reaches: /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/herror.c: In function 'herror': /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/herror.c:97 syntax error before '~' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. 1995.499U 433.690S 43:27.63 93.1% 1394+1763k 20696+3006io 2055pf+0w (Please note I ran the command with 'time' in front.) I have re cvs'd to elimante the chance of a server upload during my inital cvs but this didn't fix the problem. I have ensured that 'date' is set correctly. I'm relatively certain there is no RAM issue with the computer but if necessary I will replace the RAM stick for another. Is there anything else I may have done wrong or something I can check? It appears the error occurs at a slightly different point each time however usually having something to do with 'libc'. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Sh4d03 -- If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide assistance to me and wish to E-mail me directly please also feel free to contact me in thi...

initdb for postgresql 7.4 doesn't
Fedora Core 2 and postgresql 7.4.2-1. I try to /usr/bin/initdb -D /var/log/pgsql/data and I hang copying template1 into /var/log/pgsql/data/1. I've reinstalled the rpms twice, doesn't matter. Still hangs. Pl. advise. Thanks. Part of the issue is a 3ware raid Escalade 7000-2 controller. I can initdb on a partition that's on a plain old eide (western digital) drive, but not over the raid controller. I can create files no problem, however. ...

NCHECK: Why doesn't FreeBSD have ncheck ? (or icheck) ?
Why doesn't FreeBSD have either NCHECK or ICHECK ? Specifically what are you supposed to do if you have a damaged filesystem, and fsck spits out a bunch of inumbers with problems and you want to know what files they are before deciding whether to alter those inodes ? I thought you are supposed to run ncheck -i inum dev to find out those filenames... Or maybe a disk is developing a few bad sectors, the disk device driver spits out the block numbers of the bad blocks and you want to find out which files are affected. I thought you are supposed to run icheck -b bn dev to get the inumber, and ncheck -i inum dev to get the filename. All without having to mount the filesystem. Is there a replacement that I don't know about ? Although fsck does more than it did before, I don't think it completely solves these issues... dantso <dan.y.tso@gmail.com> writes: >Why doesn't FreeBSD have either NCHECK or ICHECK ? You can do some of the things that ncheck does with fsdb. I keep meaning to write a ncheck for FreeBSD, but havne't got around to it yet. It shouldn't be too hard, as a program like quot would be a reasonable place to start to produce one. David. In article <3b883a67-8f0f-4fe9-89a9-dc76f8161a55@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, dantso <dan.y.tso@gmail.com> wrote: > Why doesn't FreeBSD have either NCHECK or ICHECK ? > > Specifically what are you supposed to do if you have a damaged ...

Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?
I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases support DVD iso release. Why not? Or did I miss anything? -- Sunry Chen Sunry Chen <sunrychen@gmail.com> writes: >I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release >page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need >to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases >support DVD iso release. You actually only need one CD to do a basic install. At the moment there's no DVD produced automatically mainly because no one has got around to automating the process - there is a plan to provide this for releases in the near future (but I'm not sure if that will be this round of releases or the next). David. Begin <rlj6p5-jdf1.ln1@www.525183.com> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:55:23 +0800, Sunry Chen <sunrychen@gmail.com> wrote: > For CDs I need to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Already noted but worth pointing out specifically: You do not need all available images to get started. The minimum you need is actually the bootonly image and a network connection to where the rest is accessible[1]. Having more options does mean you have to figure out just what image(s) you want. [1] Which might be an official site, or somethin...

? Bug in libstdc++? GCC 4.1: wcout.imbue(loc) should (?) set stream encoder's, but it doesn't; std::locale::global() shouldn't change it, but it does?
There was the same topic not so long ago, but as I see it stays w/o answer: http://groups.google.ru/group/comp.lang.c++/browse_thread/thread/9a05d7bba9394a60/fe109c899f916871?lnk=gst&q=locale+imbue&rnum=1&hl=ru#fe109c899f916871 As Bjarne Stroustrup said in his book, "in Stroustrup (retranslated from German) "Setting the global locale does not affect existing input/output streams. The streams continue to use those locales that were assigned to them using imbue() during their creation." " But actually I see quite the opposite behaviour. The following code: #i...

'object doesn't support this property or method'
hello i have a problem when it comes to running my intranet site.. it gives msgbox in internet explorer saying 'object doesn't support this property or method' and line 260.. I identified line 260 below... I dont know javascript very well; but I would really appreciate some help with this. I believe that this is handling keystrokes- and it does let me press CTRL + N; but it's just a little bit confusing.. I didn't CHANGE this code; it's just frustrating because the website throws an error and now it wont do anything else. also.. is there something similiar to '...

tDOM doesn't support encoding='ASCII'?
Using Tcl 8.4.14 with tDOM 0.8.1 to parse an XML file with the following declaration line. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ASCII'?> Gives: error "unknown encoding" at line 1 character 30 "ion='1.0' encoding='A <--Error-- SCII'?> In production I can't change the file to use 'us-ascii' or 'utf8' since I don't own the file and asking for it to be changed might not go over so well as there are at least 10 other apps successfully parsing this file as-is. Of course there's the work-around of just changing the decl...

GNU screen doesn't like FreeBSD jail?
Trying to run GNU screen (/usr/ports/misc/screen) from within a FreeBSD jail(8) produces the error: Cannot open your terminal '/dev/ttyp2' - please check. Running tty does say /dev/ttyp2 is my tty, the device does exist in the jail: crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 2 Aug 1 05:27 /dev/ttyp2 Any ideas? Other applications like sshd that also use pseudo ttys have no problem within a jail. Google finds a little info, in particular a mention of building screen with GETTTYENT set to 0, but this didn't change anything on my system. This is under 4.x STABLE -Zenin Zenin wrote: > Trying to run GNU screen (/usr/ports/misc/screen) from within a FreeBSD > jail(8) produces the error: > > Cannot open your terminal '/dev/ttyp2' - please check. > > Running tty does say /dev/ttyp2 is my tty, the device does exist in the > jail: > > crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 2 Aug 1 05:27 /dev/ttyp2 > > Any ideas? Other applications like sshd that also use pseudo ttys have no > problem within a jail. Google finds a little info, in particular a mention > of building screen with GETTTYENT set to 0, but this didn't change anything > on my system. This is under 4.x STABLE > > -Zenin I do use screen under jails running in FreeBSD 4.9p4. I've had problems in the past, but not any longer. Rainer ...

Can't access serial port with Tcl and FreeBSD
I'm running gpsman-6.2.1 on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE with tcl-8.4.11,1 and tk-8.4.11,2 but I can't get it to communicate with my Garmin Etrex receiver on the second serial port, (which I assume is /dev/cuad1 ?) The error message I get is: bad option "-mode": should be one of -blocking, -buffering, -buffersize, -encoding, -eofchar, or -translation while executing "fconfigure $SRLFILE -blocking 0 -mode $baud,n,8,1 -translation binary" ("unix" arm line 3) invoked from within "switch $tcl_platform(platform) { unix { set Polling 0 ; set InB...

Web resources about - FreeBSD 4.7 doesn't support Serial ATA ? - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc