freebsd server and windows 2003 server coexist

the point is to save money by not buying MS Exchange and ISA.

the main server is running win2003 server, and it connects to switch
and ADSL router. is it possible to set up a seperate server running
freebsd to server as a web proxy server and a mail server?

thanks

hou
0
jinihou
12/19/2003 2:51:00 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

jinihou@yahoo.com (HOU) writes:

> the main server is running win2003 server, and it connects to switch
> and ADSL router. is it possible to set up a seperate server running
> freebsd to server as a web proxy server and a mail server?

Sure.  They don't even need to know about each other unless the
Windows server has something to do with e-mail.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
	resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/
HOU wrote:
> the point is to save money by not buying MS Exchange and ISA.
>
> the main server is running win2003 server, and it connects to switch
> and ADSL router. is it possible to set up a seperate server running
> freebsd to server as a web proxy server and a mail server?
>
> thanks
>
> hou
Yes. And although you don't ask for it: With help of Samba and some
other software you can take over almost all functions of the
Win2k3-server making it useless and a waste of money. ;)

Hans

0
Hans

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

how to manage phpBB, windows 2003 server and FreeBSD user accounts simultaneously.
I want to write a program which can manage phpBB, windows 2003 server and FreeBSD user accounts simultaneously. Where can I find related information? Could you show me the direction? any related CPAN modules thanks in advance. On 29 Nov 2004 20:18:01 -0800, jiing.deng@gmail.com (jiing) wrote: >I want to write a program which can manage phpBB, windows 2003 server ^^^^^ ^^^^^ >and FreeBSD user accounts simultaneously. > Where can I find related information? Could you show me the >directio...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

mail server on windows server 2003
Hi Gurus I would like to run a mail server on 2003 that does the following: 1. collect emails from several other mail servers (e.g. mail.myisp.com) using the pop3 method. 2. allow people connected to the servers domain/network to - send emails from their outlook program - receive emails in their outlook program - send emails locally (without going through our ISP) to other people who are connected to the server (e.g. from Jo to Mike who are both connected to the server domain). My questions are: 1. can MS Windows Server do this, OR 2. would you recommend a program f...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

filemaker server on windows 2003 server
Hello, I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm 74GB in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems, using 1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured filemaker server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a lot of files simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print huge lists, filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and network usage, but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the pro...

Is there web interface tool to manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously
Hi all, Is there such a web interface tool that can manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously. I need a unique web interface to do the following things: 1. Adminstrator can create shared folder in windows 2003 server via the web interface 2. Adminstrator can create accounts in FreeBSD via the web interface 3. Users can change their passwords via the web interface 4. Adminstrator can create actual accounts in windows 2003 server via the web interface If I want to coding by myself to create such a thing. What information should I find? I know we can mana...

Is there a web interface tool that can manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously
Hi all, Is there such a web interface tool that can manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously. I need a unique web interface to do the following things: 1. Adminstrator can create shared folder in windows 2003 server via the web interface 2. Adminstrator can create accounts in FreeBSD via the web interface 3. Users can change their passwords via the web interface 4. Adminstrator can create actual accounts in windows 2003 server via the web interface If I want to coding by myself to create such a thing. What information should I find? I know we can manage the accounts...

Is there a web interface tool that can manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously
Hi all, Is there such a web interface tool that can manage accounts of FreeBSD and Windows 2003 server simultaneously. I need a unique web interface to do the following things: 1. Adminstrator can create shared folder in windows 2003 server via the web interface 2. Adminstrator can create accounts in FreeBSD via the web interface 3. Users can change their passwords via the web interface 4. Adminstrator can create actual accounts in windows 2003 server via the web interface If I want to coding by myself to create such a thing. What information should I find? I know we can manage the accounts...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows server 2003 small business server
Hello, I have installed SBS but am having problems with remote connectivity and firewalls. I am looking for an expert or someone who is quite familiar with the Small Business Server 2003. Am willing to pay for consulting if needed. Thanks shri please reply to shri at bthelpers.com (replace the at) ...

Windows Server 2003 as file server slow?
I have setup the following: Server - Windows 2003 server standard edition, 2GB Ram, 1000BT network card PC - Windows XP, 1GB Ram, 1000BT network card Notebook - WIndows XP, 768MB Ram, 100BT network (build in) All three are connected to an 8 port gigabit switch which is connected to a Broadband Router/FW device which connects to an ADSL modem to connect to the internet. * All three computers have setup network shares. * user on the Server initiates file copy to PC shared drive: very fast * user on the Server initiates file copy from PC shared drive: very fast * user on PC initiate...

Web resources about - freebsd server and windows 2003 server coexist - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

The FreeBSD Project
The FreeBSD Project

The FreeBSD Diary
The FreeBSD Diary is a collection of how-to guides for the FreeBSD operating system. Provding practical examples since 1998.

The FreeBSD Foundation
» View 2011 Semi-Annual Newsletter is pleased to announce that Pawel Jakub Dawidek has been awarded a grant to develop a comprehensive userspace ...

File:Freebsd logo.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The image is used to identify FreeBSD, a notable product or service. The significance of the logo is to help the reader identify the product ...

Hackers break into two FreeBSD Project servers using stolen SSH keys - sophos, Apache Project was forced ...
Hackers have compromised two servers used by the FreeBSD Project to build third-party software packages. Anyone who has installed such packages ...

AusCERT2012: FreeBSD talks amateur bug hunting
Squashing bugs shouldn't just be left to the pros.

“We cannot trust” Intel and Via’s chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say
Wikipedia Developers of the FreeBSD operating system will no longer allow users to trust processors manufactured by Intel and Via Technologies ...

Hackers break into two FreeBSD Project servers using stolen SSH keys
Hackers have compromised two servers used by the FreeBSD Project to build third-party software packages. Anyone who has installed such packages ...

Norse Discovers Buffer Overflow Vulnerability In FreeBSD
Cyber security's comprehensive news site is now an online community for security professionals, outlining cyber threats and the technologies ...