hello

hello all,
i'm a french guy and i use freebsd since one year
i use only free software
with freebsd i use also gentoo and mdk on my network
i have a little question please
is it possible that a person can connect to my computer in order to use my network connection same as a provider ?
thanks a lot
ps : i search an austrian person , how is austrian ?
:) thanks
ben

0
ben
9/26/2003 10:12:19 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

ben wrote:

> hello all,
> i'm a french guy and i use freebsd since one year
> i use only free software
> with freebsd i use also gentoo and mdk on my network
> i have a little question please
> is it possible that a person can connect to my computer in order to use my network connection same as a provider ?
> thanks a lot

Ok, I think what you're asking is if your FreeBSD computer can be used
as a gateway to the Internet.  If so, yes.

Take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.html

And the google archive of this group.

--
   Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

0
Rob
9/27/2003 9:58:01 AM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:58:01 GMT
Rob MacGregor <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> ben wrote:
>
> > hello all,
> > i'm a french guy and i use freebsd since one year
> > i use only free software
> > with freebsd i use also gentoo and mdk on my network
> > i have a little question please
> > is it possible that a person can connect to my computer in order to use my network connection same as a provider ?
> > thanks a lot
>
> Ok, I think what you're asking is if your FreeBSD computer can be used
> as a gateway to the Internet.  If so, yes.
>
> Take a look at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.html
>
> And the google archive of this group.
>
> --
>    Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
>        The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

thanks a lot :)

0
ben

BSD!!! BSD!!! BSD!!!
From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.misc/about Top posters This month 10 markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com 2 r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de 2 wilcox_and...@childcustodyfordads.eyetraffic.net 1 will...@wilbur.25thandclement.com 1 r...@invalid.address.org 1 ian-n...@hotmail.com 1 rweiku...@mssgmbh.com 1 p...@pk.invalid 1 usenet-nos...@seebs.net 1 rd...@spamcop.net All time 440 pe...@baileynm.com 282 pe...@abbnm.com 252 se...@plethora.net 187 j...@ida.interface-business.de 181 pe...@nmti.com 163 tchr...@mox.perl.com 160 daniel.n.john...@worldn...

Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?
I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix. Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system? I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not the BootOnly CD image. I am downloading the Docs CD image too... I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5) before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO? Thank you in advance for your answers! Stang1 <scott_navarre@yahoo.com> wrote: : I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix. : Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system? ; Highly unlikely. Were the compiled for i386? Other problems you are likely to find is a.out is no longer standard, ELF is. However, I believe if you install the FREEBSD3X compatibility suite, a.out will run. Now, if you were to rebuild from source, the make will likely work with little fuss. And the APIs are probably still close enough to get past the compiler. : : I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I : assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not : the BootOnly CD image. ; You will need to boot CD, plus disk1. The boot CD should be self-explanitory, the disk1 CD will contain the stuff you selected. : : I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5) : before switching over to R...

hello hello hello
Is anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home? -- -- Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia This message and any attachments is/are intended for the person/s to whom it was addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender promptly and destroy the message without copying it or divulging its contents to any person. Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:10:09 GMT, BenOne� <nosp@m.thanks.mate> found these unused words floating about: >Is anybody in there? >Just nod if you can hear me. >Is there anyone at home? >-- Contact your ISP ... you obviously have a problem if you can't see the messages and replies (24 alone today - other than yours, that is!) ...

BSD!! BSD!! BSD!!
FRom http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc/about Top posters All time 224 p99dr...@criens.u-psud.fr 192 bou...@antifer.ipv6.lip6.fr 190 fr...@immanent.net 178 te...@lambert.org 165 bj...@cus.cam.ac.uk 161 t...@panix.com 160 f...@enteract.com 133 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it 128 burg...@mitre.org 111 ignat...@cs.uni-bonn.de From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Top posters This month 11 i...@satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu 9 wbl...@wonkity.com 8 secret...@lxny.org 7 rd...@spamcop.net 5 amia9...@mypacks.n...

experienced unix guy on freebsd 10.1 vs ada hello world
guys I used the docs on http://www.getadanow.com/#get_freebsd and a nice gui opened for development, but I am a vi and ed user... Can't get hello world to compile... help On 01/05/2015 09:20 PM, johannes falcone wrote: > guys I used the docs on http://www.getadanow.com/#get_freebsd and a nice gui opened for development, but I am a vi and ed user... > > Can't get hello world to compile... What's the problem? Open a terminal and use vi. Then build from the command line using gnatmake. -- Jeff Carter "Blessed is just about anyone with a vested inter...

Unix, Minix, Linux, System V and BSD Unix ???

www.unix-solution.org (Unix/BSD Forum)
Dear all, http://www.unix-solution.org This is a UNIX forum. If you are interested, pls have a look and register a account to discuss. It's a new site but you can post your question on there. I'm sure you can get your answer from unix-solution.org if post your message. Have Fun! In article <8342be4c.0402280825.310622ee@posting.google.com>, pcman wrote: [snip] > This is a UNIX forum. > If you are interested, pls have a look and register a account to discuss. > It's a new site but you can post your question on there. > I'm sure you can get your answer from [site] if post your message. This seems to be the latest variant of ``hello, i 14 and l0k my k00l www!!1'' What in the world would people on usenet[0] possibly want that they can't get here but can get on your scripted website[1]? Even if this wasn't a piss-poor attempt at a flame, you'd need to include that little bit of info to actually get people to abandon their favourite way of interacting for something new, shiny and kludgy. [0] A system that's been around a while and that works, and doesn't come down when your mom pulls the plug because your room needs cleaning. [1] No choice in clients, egotripping so-called moderators, and it invariably attracts lots of AOLers that can't speel. Joy. -- j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l . ...

Hello Moto...hello?...hello?
Hope this isn't OT but I'm looking for help with syncing a Motorola V3 RAZR bluetooth cell phone with my 10.3.8 Mac - and although it is advertised as Mac-compatible, the Phone Tools CD that came with it is Windows-only. Does anyone know if I can still use iSync with this 'phone to sync contacts? I'm assuming that I can anyway connect it via USB and drag stuff in manually but it would be a bit of a let-down if I can't sync automatically. I spoke to Motorola and they said that Apple knew of a way to make their Phone Tools software install under OsX. But the Apple bod I spo...

[News] BSD/UNIX Still Thrive in Way, PC-BSD Can Run Windows Applications

MUMPS for BSD/Unix
Aloha, Is anyone here aware of any available Open Source MUMPS Release for the FreeBSD operating system? Thank you, Steven Tomlinson Pacific Telehealth and Technology Hui A Dod/VA Joint Venture www.PacificHui.org You are looking for Mumps-V1: sourceforge.net/projects/mumps/ Ray Newman's great contribution. "Steven Tomlinson" <stevet@programmer.net> wrote in message news:3f4a7525$0$43849$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net... > Aloha, > Is anyone here aware of any available Open Source MUMPS Release for the > FreeBSD operating system? > > Thank you, > Steven...

is freebsd = linux = unix?
is freebsd = linux = unix? -- In article <bi7cch$lou3@imsp212.netvigator.com>, Mylinux wrote: > is freebsd = linux = unix? No: FreeBSD > Unix >> Linux ;-) -- Erik Nygren e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t Linux - If you hate Microsoft, FreeBSD - If you love Unix Erik Nygren wrote: > No: FreeBSD > Unix >> Linux ;-) Where does Windows XP or 2003 fit in there? -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - ...

Hello,Where is declared the "end" var present in arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c ? In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c a var "end" is declared : extern int end; I'd like to kno
Hello, In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c a var "end" is declared : extern int end; I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern, I guess it should be declared in another file, but I can't find which one. I've tried, in source tree, find . -name "*.o" -exec nm {} \; > nm.txt then I looked in the generated file, but can't find the "end" var ... If you have an idea ... Thanks Yann yannouch wrote: > Hello, > > In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c > a var "end" is declared : > > extern int end; > > I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern, I guess > it should be declared in another file, but I can't find which one. > > I've tried, in source tree, > > find . -name "*.o" -exec nm {} \; > nm.txt > > then I looked in the generated file, but can't find the "end" var ... > > If you have an idea ... > It is also possible to declare externals in a linker script. Have a look at the file vmlinux.lds.in in the same directory. For the linker behaviour see the GNU binutils documentation. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi yannouch wrote: > Hello, > > In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c > a var "end" is declared : > > extern int end; > > I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern,...

MS FoxPro Unix on FreeBSD
This is what you do: http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26277 ...

unix version of unix
I need to install version of clipper under Solaris intel platform . Where can I find it easily downloaded and easily exapnded ? "hpy_awad@yahoo.com" <ehab_aziz2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7ecaee57.0402032342.679c3b02@posting.google.com... > I need to install version of clipper under Solaris intel platform . > Where can I find it easily downloaded and easily exapnded ? I use FlagShip. It's an excellent product. But not free! It is available for Sun Solaris. Visit www.fship.com -- Norman Perelson http://www.shopkeeper.co.za mailto:norman@shoso.co.za ...

pscp Unix to Unix
I'm using the pscp command to get a file from a Unix ftp server. Here's the command: pscp -v -P 22 -pw MYPASSWORD -batch MYUSER@some.location.edu:/src// file.txt file2.txt Here's the trace: Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.5 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.60 Using SSH protocol version 2 Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-256 Host key fingerprint is: ssh-rsa 2048 71:8a:33:8d:e7:41:95:45:c2:f2:77:ff:27:aa:0a:bb Initialised AES-256 SDCTR client->server encryption Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm Ini...

disk copy for Unix / Freebsd?
anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to a new hd, Ghost 2003 chokes on it. Don't like the file system. Thanks Bob Spam Killer <who-cares@10.3.6.153> wrote: > anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to a new > hd dd(1)? - Philip -- Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup. I have not lost my mind, it is backed up on tape somewhere. Spam Killer <who-cares@10.3.6.153> writes: >anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to >a new hd, Ghost 2003 chokes on it. >Don't like the file system. Have a look at: http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ mkb. Spam Killer <who-cares@10.3.6.153> wrote: > > anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to > a new hd, Ghost 2003 chokes on it. > > Don't like the file system. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK -- Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA ...

Merging BSD/OS and FreeBSD
I was wondering how many ideas/concepts did FreeBSD and BSD/OS were merged pre BSD/OS-5.X? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Birthdate: 29 Jan 1969 Redhill Surrey England ...

Live BSD Unix or DIE!!!
From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Top posters This month 20 i...@satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu 18 inva...@invalid.net 15 m...@nospam.void 10 rd...@spamcop.net 7 ta...@lpthe.jussieu.fr 7 wbl...@wonkity.com 6 tun...@tundraware.com 5 l...@main.put.com 4 secret...@lxny.org 4 bsd.sans...@anu.homelinux.net All time 4984 j...@uriah.heep.sax.de 3029 ste...@eircom.net 2460 ta...@lpthe.jussieu.fr 1938 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it 1929 dmmil...@cvzoom.net 1658 j...@freebsd.org 1485 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it.invalid 1383 m.....

Hello world not working on Unix :(
Hi guys, I've tried a hello world script: #include <iostream> int main() { using namespace std; cout << "Hello!\n"; return 0; } But I've got an error message: gcc test.cpp /var/tmp//ccZLLi7M.o(.text+0xd): In function `std::__verify_grouping(char const*, unsigned int, std::string const&)': : undefined reference to `std::string::size() const' /var/tmp//ccZLLi7M.o(.text+0x60): In function `std::__verify_grouping(char const*, unsigned int, std::string const&)': : undefined reference to `std::string::operator[](u...

BSD/Linux/UNIX and freedom
I think back to the 1980s and how operating systems and networking was very expensive. Just having a network as a big expense. ArcNet, token ring, and multiple forms of ethernet were fairly expensive hardware, systems often used RS-232 point to point access for exchanging files. Novell Netware made their name as an obscure vendor that made a networking system for Quadram networking cards. In the 1990s, networking got cheaper, mostly, but Novell charged HUGE amounts of cash for Netware and support. Just to connect with support you had to have a credit card, plus, you had to buy each network...

pharo4 on freebsd and bsd in general
whats the story? Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 20:06:55 UTC+2 schrieb polymorph self: > whats the story? what's your question? On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 2:42:21 AM UTC-4, Joachim wrote: > Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 20:06:55 UTC+2 schrieb polymorph self: > > whats the story? > > what's your question? I can't seem to install pharo 4 on freebsd 10.1 ...

Single UNIX Specification and FreeBSD
To all, In light of recent legal scuffles between SCO and just about everyone else in the open-source community, here is a question: As we know, the Open Group is the rightful owner of the trademark UNIX and its specifications. What would/could the potential benefits be for FreeBSD if it undergoes the UNIX certification process and be certified as a "UNIX" operating system? How would that help/hurt this community? (As an aside, if memory serves, Michael Lucas briefly touched on this issue in "Absolute BSD" when he said that it is highly unlike that FreeBSD would ever take to this road, largely because of the money and resources involved. For the sake of this question, let's assume that all necessary resources are available at our disposal.) Relevant, constructive comments are welcome. Simon Chang On 10 Oct 2003 10:43:02 -0700 schang@necco.com (Simon Chang) wrote: SC> (As an aside, if memory serves, Michael Lucas briefly touched on this SC> issue in "Absolute BSD" when he said that it is highly unlike that SC> FreeBSD would ever take to this road, largely because of the money and SC> resources involved. For the sake of this question, let's assume that SC> all necessary resources are available at our disposal.) SC> SC> Relevant, constructive comments are welcome. I suspect that there are better uses for the money and resources than chasing a marketing label. It would be good...

MS FoxPro Unix on FreeBSD
This is what I do: http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26277 Is there a question here? Rick "Michael Green" <michaelrmgreen@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message = news:e5c9d40b.0411080508.729a7121@posting.google.com... > This is what I do: > = http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=3D&threadid=3D26277 "Rick Bean" <rgbean@NOSPAMmelange-inc.com> wrote in message news:<10ov2c9kgs1460f@corp.supernews.com>... > Is there a question here? > > Rick > No, the post is for a collection ...

Oh dear god! Unix Unix Unix! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I pretty much gave up on Unix. Spent three weeks just trying to get 1 simple application running on it. All it took was Apache, MySQL, php, and phpmyadmin. Read books, read posts, read newsgroups... Simply can't be done without hiring someone and I really wanted to learn it myself. Somehow after 100-150 hours of trying things I just snapped and lost my mind. I literally smashed the Mac-Mini and a Wintel box with Fedora Core 4 into 1,000,000 pieces with an axe. I figure i'm losing at least $500 a day right now because I'm completely down. That may not seem like a lot bu...

How to set up classpath on FreeBSD Unix?
I'm trying to figure out how to set up some packages of my own java classes (on FreeBSD Unix, running tcsh as the shell). Below is what I tried. What am I doing wrong? % pwd /home/users/rem/JavaWork % ls -d Cl* 1 Classes/ % ls -d Cl*/* 1 Classes/animals/ % ls -lt Classes/animals/ 2 -rw------- 1 rem user 1417 Jun 3 15:48 Pet.class 2 -rw------- 1 rem user 1457 Jun 3 15:47 Pet.java % more Classes/animals/Pet.java package animals; import java.util.*; abstract class Pet { ... % more Dog.java import animals.*; class Dog extends Pet { ... % echo $classpath classpath: Undefined variable. ...

Web resources about - hello - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

Oscars Ratings: Return Of Chris Rock Sees Show Hit 8-Year Low
Chris Rock came out swinging in one of the best opening monologues in years and took on the diversity controversy from the get-go at the 88th ...

Amazon and Brita team up for Wi-Fi water pitchers
Back when Amazon first revealed plans for its Dash Replenishment Service, its automatic-reordering system that would be triggered by "smart" ...

ISIS double bombing of Baghdad market kills at least 73
Fox News ISIS double bombing of Baghdad market kills at least 73 Fox News BAGHDAD – In Iraq, the death toll from devastating back-to-back ...

$3,000 HoloLens dev kit available for pre-order now, shipping March 30
Peter Bright / Ars Technica : $3,000 HoloLens dev kit available for pre-order now, shipping March 30 — Futuristic hardware finally gets into ...

The best thing about Apple’s new iPhone SE might not be the phone iteself
The new 4-inch iPhone Apple is reportedly going to unveil in the coming weeks is expected to be called the iPhone SE. The phone, first known ...

Gods of Egypt is like Beast Wars crossed with bad Internet porn
Hey everybody! I didn't have to wear miniskirt armor in this movie, so I count that as a big win! (credit: Gods of Egypt) By now you’ve heard ...

Slain Ohio Pastor's Brother Arrested in Fatal Shooting
Authorities investigating the slaying of a southwest Ohio pastor expect to charge his brother in the fatal shooting that occurred at the pastor's ...

Kurtz: 'Given Her Extraordinary Racial Blast' I Don't Blame MSNBC For Dropping Harris-Perry's Show
Given Howard Kurtz's employer's long, long history of race-baiting and disparaging remarks about African-Americans, sadly, this is hardly surprising. ...

Live coverage: Cardinal George Pell appears before abuse royal commission in Rome
Live coverage of Cardinal George Pell's testimony to the Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse, from Rome.

Walking Dead season 6 episode 12 Not Tomorrow Yet: The Hilltop, Carl & Jesus to the fore
READ: Walking Dead season 6 spoilers: Is THIS the best episode yet!? The Walking Dead's twelfth episode is set to air on March 6th and will see ...