mount_ntfs my usn hard drive usb from /dev/da1s1 to /mnt, cant copy file to it, but can FROM

WTF?????

net not helping me!!

I got some movies I wana move to my usb drive so I can watch ... but freebsd only lets me copy FROM the usb drive wtfff??

help!
0
johannes
5/19/2013 4:59:06 AM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

# cp /home/g/f /mnt/movies/
cp: /mnt/movies/f: No such file or directory

I can easily copy from /mnt/movies to /home/g
0
johannes
5/19/2013 5:02:29 AM
amd64 9.1
0
johannes
5/19/2013 5:02:49 AM
help please

should this just work?
0
johannes
5/19/2013 5:31:32 AM
found cure! http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10720

pkg_add -rv fusefs-ntfs
add to /etc/rc.conf :

fusefs_enable="YES"
fuse_load="YES"

reboot

ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt     ## now can write to it yay!
0
johannes
5/19/2013 7:04:09 AM
On Sat, 18 May 2013 21:59:06 -0700, johannes falcone wrote:

> WTF?????
>

> net not helping me!!
>
> I got some movies I wana move to my usb drive so I can watch ... but
> freebsd only lets me copy FROM the usb drive wtfff??

Read the manual page, particularly the bit about 'limited writing
ability'.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
 http://www.mirrorservice.org
0
Bob
5/19/2013 7:06:13 AM
I did.

Note I found the cure above.
0
johannes
5/19/2013 7:13:47 AM
On Sun, 19 May 2013 00:13:47 -0700, johannes falcone wrote:

> I did.
>
> Note I found the cure above.

I thought you would.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
 http://www.mirrorservice.org
0
Bob
5/19/2013 8:37:33 AM
On Sun, 19 May 2013 00:04:09 -0700, johannes falcone wrote:

> found cure! http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10720
>
> pkg_add -rv fusefs-ntfs add to /etc/rc.conf :
>
> fusefs_enable="YES"
> fuse_load="YES"
>
> reboot
>
> ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt     ## now can write to it yay!

Mentioned on the manual page...

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
 http://www.mirrorservice.org
0
Bob
5/19/2013 8:37:52 AM
well be careful, the man page did shit

I fonund a online page about enabling fuse-fs and rebooting and using the ntfs-3g command so your advice helped not atoll
0
johannes

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Can I copy files (mp3) to flash drive WITHOUT copying invisible files?
I have a new car radio that includes a USB port. Plug in a flash drive (formated with FAT 16/32) with MP3 files, and the car radio can find and play the mp3 files. Cool...BUT...the radio chokes on the invisible files that the Mac creates. Is there a way to copy files on a Mac (latest 10.5.6 OS) to a FAT-formatted PC USB Flash Drive WITHOUT copying all those invisible files (the ones that start with a period)? In article <300320091619086224%jo@asdfpoiuwm.com>, Jo <jo@asdfpoiuwm.com> wrote: > I have a new car radio that includes a USB port. Plug in a flash drive > (formated ...

Can't copy files to backup hard drive
Have been using macs for years but this one has me stumped. I am trying to back up my entire hard drive on a new external drive but I get an error message saying "some items vannot be copied - do you want to continue" (or something very similar). When I click "continue" nothing happens, which suggests that something is stopping me form copying anyhting at all. I have unlocked everything I can. What am I doing wrong? Using 10.4.5 and 15" 1.25 GHz powerbook. Rob Look for CarbonCopy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) (donation ware) and use that. A lot ...

Copy drive partition to USB hard drive
I split my primary C: drive into 2 partitions. How can I copy my partition with my XP Pro on it to a external USB har drive? Is special software needed -- daveiosys daveiosys <daveiosys.2698c92@computerbanter.com> wrote: > I split my primary C: drive into 2 partitions. > How can I copy my partition with my XP Pro on it to a external USB hard drive? Do you want to just copy it, or do you want to be able to boot it there ? > Is special software needed? Depends on what you call special. Any imager can do the first. Nothing can do the second. daveios...

Can I backup my internal hard drive to a USB drive?
My laptop is an IBM T40. Can I backup my 30 Gb hard drive onto a USB drive? I purchased a USB floppy drive and am able to boot into DOS. With Powerquest's Drive Image and Partition Magic I am able to access the T40's 30 GB intenal hard drive. If I purchase a USB hard drive say 80 GB, will I be able to use it for backing up and restoring the 30 GB drive? I currently use Drive Image 5.0 and Partitionmagic 7.0. I have read about Drive Image 2000 and Drive Image 7. But I can't find anything definite, how DOS might work with large USB hard drives. "Dodgr Rereksin"...

Copying files to new hard drive. win386.swp file.
Hi: I ordered a new 120gb hd and googled info about copying files and programs from the old hd to the new hd in WIN98SE. I understand everything except the part about that the win386.swp file has to be removed and that is done by diabling virtual memory and rebooting. I can do the procedure, easily done, but I am wondering why the win386.swp file has to be removed before copying files from one drive to another? Thx Doe John wrote: > Hi: > > I ordered a new 120gb hd and googled info about copying files and > programs from the old hd to the new hd in WIN98SE. I un...

Rsync always copies files to fat32 file system on USB drive
I have a USB thumb drive with many .mp3 files on it. I copy files from my Linux box to the USB drive (This also pertains to Unix too! <g>). The problem is that rsync always copies and replaces ALL files even though they haven't been changed. I'm guessing this is because you can't preserve file permissions on the files on the fat32 USB drive. Is there any way to handle copying only changed or added files to the USB drive? -Thanks On Sat, 10 May 2008 10:29:41 -0400, somebody wrote: > I have a USB thumb drive with many .mp3 files on it. I copy files from > my Linu...

are USB flash drives faster than USB hard drives
i can hunt this down on websites but prefer to ask those who consistently provide good answers are USB flash drives faster than USB hard drives for booting and running OS X (probably SL) from? what is the comparison of storage and usage life for flash vs. hard drives? Thanks, R.B. In article <4cfe5c52$0$23757$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, rarebit <rarebit@wr.org> wrote: > are USB flash drives faster than USB hard drives for booting and running > OS X (probably SL) from? definitely not > what is the comparison of storage and usage life for flas...

Solaris10 Update 10: Unable to copy large file from external hard drive to system disk drive
All, I am unable to copy a large file from my seagate external hard drive(NTFS) to user directory on my Solaris10U10 system. However, I am able to copy a small file say 2GB without a hitch. Please let me know how do I overcome the limitation (if any of OS or NTFS) of copying large size file on this system? The file I am trying to copy is of 14 GB and I can't split the file as this is a virtual box based ova image file. Thanks in advance for all your help. On 10/ 6/12 09:02 PM, pariti wrote: > All, > > I am unable to copy a large file from my seagate external hard &g...

Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files
I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue. Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Is there a problem...

Copying Files from CD to Hard Drive.
Hello, I have some old CD's that have digital camera images on them. Some of the files have gone bad and I get an error when trying to copy them to the hard drive. Other files however are still good. My question is how do I copy the good files from the CD to the hard drive? In Windows Explorer when it hits a bad file it simply errors out and stops copying and the amount of time it takes for Windows Explorer to realize that the file bad is minutes long. I also tried XCOPY at the Windows XP command prompt telling it ignore errors and keep on copying however, there is sti...

Files copied to external hard drive are corrupted
I recently bought a Maxtor external hard drive for use to transfer files from an older, space-challenged computer. I had no need for the backup software, so I just plugged it in (USB 2.0) and Windows XP recognized it as an empty NTFS drive. So I did a drag and drop of around 75GB of files onto the new drive. The files are almost all RAR archives ranging from 5MB to 50MB (the vast majority are around 10MB). So we're talking about a few thousand files. The copying was fast and went smoothly. Out of the 1000 or so of the copied archives I've tested so far on the new drive abo...

How to copy files from laptop hard drive to desktop
I tried to copy some of the file of my laptop Compaq Presario 1510 to desktop. After connected the harddrive with the HDD adapter, I can't find the laptop hard drive or the desktop will freez. What's the right wawy to do this. Thanks in advacne zfc6e@yahoo.com Not enough info, what OS and file system are on each drive? -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "zfc6e" <zfc6e@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2f793ef9.0311251441.214bae5e@posting.google.com... > I tried to copy some of the file of my laptop Compaq Presario 1510 to > ...

copying all files from one hard-drive to another
Greetings. I'm experiencing a frustrating problem that should have a very simple solution. All I am trying to do is copy a lot of files and directories from one place to another. That's it. Sounds simple enough, right? I have an 80Gb hard-drive with about 13Gb worth of data on it (G: drive). This hard-drive came from another computer and I want to copy all the files from this hard-drive onto another hard-drive on my computer (C: drive with over 100Gb of free space). Here's what I do: 1) I plug the new drive into my computer and it's recognized without any ...

encrypting files on hard drive (GPG, BSD)
I use GnuPG on Open and FreeBSD. I have a 2048-bit keypair with as I believe a very good passphrase (no intact words in any language so far as I know, lots of odd punctuation, quite long). My keyrings are on the hard drive, so my secret key is protected only by the passphrase. (I know this is not the most secure possible situation.) I also have many files on my hard drive that I like to keep encrypted when I'm not using them (in case the computer is stolen). Presently they are encrypted to my secret key. This way I only have to remember one passphrase for all my files, and when ...

Crashing when copying large files to USB Drive
Thanks to those who read this. System Specs Linux version 2.4.18-14smp Dual Processor PIII 800 Mhz USB 2.0 PCI Card. Native USB on Card is 1.1 When I try to create a BackUp of my Data on a portable IDE HardDrive connected via USB 2.0 PCI Card to my DeskTop I consistantly cause the computer to crash. At the crash, the monitor stays on and the X-Windows screen freezes, as does the mouse, Keyboard, I can't telnet into the machine, ping, ftp nor run any service. The only way of bringing the machine back up is to reset it. The crash is not related to X-windows since I can get it to crash f...

Why does copying files to a new hard drive not defragment it?
Well, I execute a series disk upgrades on my system yesterday and today. I copied the contents of two drives to two other new drives. Each new drive was obviously empty and freshly formatted beforehand. My assumption was that copying the entire contents of each older drive would rearrange them sequentially on the newer drives, but after several hours of copying I found that neither of them were defragmented, and one of them was actually more fragmented than they were in the older drive! Looking at the map of files from Windows' defrag, it showed huge gaps of free space sca...

Copy files to USB pen drive in order?
I recently got a Napa PA24 USB pen drive/mp3 player. When I copy mp3 files to it either by dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer or using xcopy in a DOS box, when the mp3s are played back they are not in the order that I copied them. In fact they don't seem to be in any particular order at all. I would expect that they might be played in alphabetic order or maybe by timestamp, but this is not the case. Anybody got any ideas how to get them to play in the right order? ...

permission denied while copying files to an USB drive
I am running backup.sh script that copy directories into an USB hard . I got these error messages : /export>./backup.sh starting copying sources.d cp: cannot create /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk/MyWorks/unix.d/sources.d/ sql.d/mysql_5_ .gz: Not owner cp: cannot create /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk/MyWorks/unix.d/sources.d/ files.d/profil e: Permission denied cp: cannot create /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk/MyWorks/unix.d/sources.d/ files.d/profi0 00: Permission denied cp: cannot create /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk/MyWorks/unix.d/sources.d/ files.d/temp.s h: Permission denied /export>cat backup.sh e...

Cannot Delete File? Long Path Tool Can - http://CannotDeleteFile.net LONG PATH Tool
Cannot Delete File? Long Path Tool Can - http://CannotDeleteFile.net LONG PATH Tool - Windows tool to copy or delete files and folders with path too long error Windows tool to copy or delete files and folders with path too long or filename too long error. Just browse to the file and press a button to copy or detele it, thats it! The application solves the problem with inability to copy and delete files and folders with long paths in Explorer. They could be created by virus/adware/Mac OS/other software. Normally one can't access such files under Windows and therefore can't ...

How To Reformat an External USB Drive (Firelite XPress Portable USB Hard Drive, 60 GB)
Apparently this drive comes formatted with the VFAT file system. Does anyone know how I could reformat it with ext3? -- % Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you, %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do, %%% 919-577-9882 % but she is an IBM." %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO http://www.digitalsignallabs.com On 26 Oct 2007 at 13:03, Randy Yates wrote: > Apparently this drive comes formatted with the VFAT file system. Does &g...

Can't copy to an external hard drive.
I've got an external hard drive (USB 1) that I borrowed from a friend who uses with his PC. I'm able to copy files from it, but when I try to copy to it, it says 'this drive can not be modified' or something similar. As far as I can tell, it appears otherwise normal, and shows up with the standard USB drive icon on my desktop. When I look at the permissions for it, they are the same as for my own Mercury drive which works fine. I can't change any permissions though because it says it's a read-only system, but I'm not sure why. Is this some...

terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive?
Dear smb experts: I am usually a linux guy, though with not much networking experience. I just bought a terastation, which serves up SMB. (can't be worse than NFS---except for the file size limits.) interestingly enough, the terastation has USB ports, and can see external drives on it, too. nice. now, it sits on a 100MB ethernet network. if I smbmount the two drives on my linux machine, and do a "cp -rfd /mnt/smb1 /mnt/smb2", does the file copy work from /mnt/smb1 to /mnt/smb2 (fast over USB 2.0), or does it first travel from /mnt/smb1 to my computer and then to ...

Web resources about - mount_ntfs my usn hard drive usb from /dev/da1s1 to /mnt, cant copy file to it, but can FROM - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc