Hi there,

It seems send mail doesn't send mail to external mail account in my FreeBSD
4.8 BOX. However, I'm able to receive mail from external mail, such as
yahoo, hotmail account.

My config is:
FreeBSD 4.8
ISP: bell Sympatico high speed with dynamic IP address.
SMTP port is enabled on the router/firewall.

Can anyone help?

bluesnow#mail -v calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com
Subject: This is a test.
Do you hear me?
EOT
calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 bluesnow.gotdns.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8p1/8.12.8; Thu, 26 Jun 2003
17:14:51 -0400 (EDT)
>>> EHLO bluesnow.gotdns.com
250-bluesnow.gotdns.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
250 2.1.0 <cguan@bluesnow.gotdns.com>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 2.0.0 h5QLEpDJ006984 Message accepted for delivery
calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com... Sent (h5QLEpDJ006984 Message accepted for delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 bluesnow.gotdns.com closing connection

bluesnow# sendmail -bp
                /var/spool/mqueue (2 requests)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-------
----
h5QLEpDJ006984       16 Thu Jun 26 17:14 <cguan@bluesnow.gotdns.com>
                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with mx4.mail.yahoo.com.)
                                         <calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>
                                   Total requests: 1

the /var/log/maillog said:

Jun 26 17:27:22 bluesnow sm-mta[6986]: h5QLEpDJ006984:
to=<calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>, ctladdr=<cguan
@bluesnow.gotdns.com> (1001/1001), delay=00:12:31, xdelay=00:12:31,
mailer=esmtp, pri=30379, rela
y=mx4.mail.yahoo.com. [66.218.86.253], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation
timed out with mx4.mai
l.yahoo.com.

0
Calvin
6/26/2003 9:34:06 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <MEJKa.686$Fy1.28843@localhost>,
Calvin Guan <ndisnewREMOVE_THE_CAPITALS@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>It seems send mail doesn't send mail to external mail account in my FreeBSD
>4.8 BOX. However, I'm able to receive mail from external mail, such as
>yahoo, hotmail account.
>
>My config is:
>FreeBSD 4.8
>ISP: bell Sympatico high speed with dynamic IP address.
>SMTP port is enabled on the router/firewall.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>bluesnow# sendmail -bp
>                /var/spool/mqueue (2 requests)
>-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-------
>----
>h5QLEpDJ006984       16 Thu Jun 26 17:14 <cguan@bluesnow.gotdns.com>
>                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with mx4.mail.yahoo.com.)
>                                         <calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>
>                                   Total requests: 1
>
>the /var/log/maillog said:
>
>Jun 26 17:27:22 bluesnow sm-mta[6986]: h5QLEpDJ006984:
>to=<calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>, ctladdr=<cguan
>@bluesnow.gotdns.com> (1001/1001), delay=00:12:31, xdelay=00:12:31,
>mailer=esmtp, pri=30379, rela
>y=mx4.mail.yahoo.com. [66.218.86.253], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation
>timed out with mx4.mai
>l.yahoo.com.

I started seeing the same thing recently.  It turned out that Cox had
started blocking outgoing SMTP to all but their own servers, apparently
in an effort to reduce outgoing spam.

Probably Yahoo has started doing the same.  I hear it's a trend.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is either send all your mail
from your client directly to your ISP's SMTP server, or configure the
SMART_HOST option in sendmail to point to your ISP's server.

Drag, I know.
--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"

0
Conrad
6/27/2003 9:00:28 AM
In article <MITKa.333137$3n5.108677@news2.central.cox.net>,
Conrad Sabatier  <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
>In article <MEJKa.686$Fy1.28843@localhost>,
>Calvin Guan <ndisnewREMOVE_THE_CAPITALS@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>It seems send mail doesn't send mail to external mail account in my FreeBSD
>>4.8 BOX. However, I'm able to receive mail from external mail, such as
>>yahoo, hotmail account.
>>
>>My config is:
>>FreeBSD 4.8
>>ISP: bell Sympatico high speed with dynamic IP address.
>>SMTP port is enabled on the router/firewall.
>>
>>Can anyone help?
>>
>>bluesnow# sendmail -bp
>>                /var/spool/mqueue (2 requests)
>>-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-------
>>----
>>h5QLEpDJ006984       16 Thu Jun 26 17:14 <cguan@bluesnow.gotdns.com>
>>                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with mx4.mail.yahoo.com.)
>>                                         <calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>
>>                                   Total requests: 1
>>
>>the /var/log/maillog said:
>>
>>Jun 26 17:27:22 bluesnow sm-mta[6986]: h5QLEpDJ006984:
>>to=<calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com>, ctladdr=<cguan
>>@bluesnow.gotdns.com> (1001/1001), delay=00:12:31, xdelay=00:12:31,
>>mailer=esmtp, pri=30379, rela
>>y=mx4.mail.yahoo.com. [66.218.86.253], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation
>>timed out with mx4.mai
>>l.yahoo.com.
>
>I started seeing the same thing recently.  It turned out that Cox had
>started blocking outgoing SMTP to all but their own servers, apparently
>in an effort to reduce outgoing spam.
>
>Probably Yahoo has started doing the same.  I hear it's a trend.

Oops, I meant to say "Sympatico".  :-)
--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"

0
Conrad

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

mail() function doesn't seem to be sending MAIL FROM: properly
I'm trying to send an email using the mail() function. I've carefully made use of the ini_set(SMTP, "mail.my.server") function to set my SMTP server and also to set my From: address. I'm still getting a "Relaying not explicitly allowed: fakeemail@fakedomain.com" response from the server however, when I try and set a recipient who is outside of my own domain. This makes my think that the From: address is somehow not getting sent to my server properly or that I'm pointing at the wrong server. The confounding thing is that it was working for a while and I don&...

Mail won't send from Mail
I have a bunch of old mail stuck in my outbox. I didn't go out the first time because of a connection problem. Well, now it's been there for three weeks. How the heck do I send it? Maury Maury Markowitz <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a bunch of old mail stuck in my outbox. I didn't go out the first > time because of a connection problem. Well, now it's been there for > three weeks. How the heck do I send it? "A connection problem" is _somewhat_ vague, you know. ;-) You'll have to be a _little_ more specific than that, I think, ...

can't send mail using mail()
hello, i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but the parameters already had value. do you know what is wrong? thank you fasisi wrote: > hello, > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > the parameters already had value. > > do you ...

Mail doesn't store sent mail
Hey, I'm using an IMAP account to read mails with Mail. I've selected "store sent messages on the server" in the preferences. If I select the "Sent" mailbox and check "Mailbox>Use this mailbox for" all the choices are disabled. Mail doesn't store the messages in the sent mailbox. I can't figure out what's wrong, any ideas? Nico In article <nospam-F4B51C.08571507042006@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>, nico <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > Hey, > > I'm using an IMAP account to read mails with Mail. I've selected "store > sent messages on the server" in the preferences. If I select the "Sent" > mailbox and check "Mailbox>Use this mailbox for" all the choices are > disabled. Mail doesn't store the messages in the sent mailbox. I can't > figure out what's wrong, any ideas? > > Nico I had the same problem; I eventually set the prefs to store my sent messages locally, and that works. I only use Mail for my black-hole junk mailboxes; I'd _never_ use it for serious correspondence, it's buggy and clunky and I don't know why they even bother. Here's one: if you're composing a message, and decide to change the ..sig, the whole message that you've typed disappears. -- W. Oates Teal'c: He is concealing something. O'Neil: Like what? Teal'c: I am unsure, he is concealing it. In article <warren.oates-...

Mail doesn't leave New Mail folder
Even after checking that the mail files have write permissions - even after mail is read, it doesn't leave the New Mail folder... Or, only some of it leave... Even though the setting tells it to leave the New Mail folder after reading. Any ideas? Please reply in group. Thanks ...

Can't send/receive Mail (Apple Mail)
Somehow, I can't send or receive any E-mails... I'm using apple mail and tried with entourage, too... I also checked user name, password..etc with the company I am paying but still not working. IS there any default reset command for mail? thanks. In article <3043ee60.0307221026.40f85e4c@posting.google.com>, shin64@telus.net (Shin) wrote: > Somehow, I can't send or receive any E-mails... I'm using apple mail > and tried with entourage, too... > > I also checked user name, password..etc with the company I am paying > but still not working. > >...

Inbox doesn't have mails, webclient shows mails
Hi, I am unable to see any emails in my inbox. However, the webclient for the same account shows me all my emails. 95% of the time, I use MS Outlook Express as the email client using its IMAP server. I donot understand why I am not able to see emails in my inbox. The only thing I see are the new mails. ie. if I login remotely onto the server, I don't see any emails, but during the period I am logged in, if I get any mails, I can see them. I tried seeing the configuration settings and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Atleast I didn't change anything. Any help will be really a...

sendmail won't send mail again
Hello! I want to use a perl CGI script behind apache to serve info inqueries and did something like the following: open(MAIL,"| $mailprog -t"); print MAIL "To: $to\n"; print MAIL "From: $webmaster_email\n"; print MAIL "X-Mailer: DaySpot Powered.\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n"; print MAIL "$message"; print MAIL "\n.\n"; close MAIL; Where From field is some yahoo email account. The apache runs as apache:apache. Now I find it couldn't send out ...

Sending mail doesn't work
I would like to switch to Gnus for my email needs, but sending mail doesn't seem to work. I get the messages in the mail group, and 'r'eply bring up the mail sending buffer. I can edit the mail normally, and pressing C-c C-c makes the mail buffer go away, kinda like succesfull send would do. However, the mail is apparently not sent out. How should I start debugging the thing? The computer is running rh8.0 and GNU emacs 21.2.1, and I'm not root on the machine. I use Pine normally, and there appears to be no smtp server configured, so I guess it uses 'sendmail' or someth...

sendmail doesn't accept mail
Hi there, we want to send mails to an aix box running sendmail. The SMTP sender is Notes. Doesn't work. Debugging shows that Domino send a "HELO" and recieves "501 HELO requires domain address". Verification via telnet shows the same behaviour. What shall I do to configure sendmail to accept just a "HELO"? Patrick On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 03:40:07 -0700, Patrick wrote: > Hi there, > > we want to send mails to an aix box running sendmail. The SMTP sender is > Notes. Doesn't work. Debugging shows that Domino send a "HELO" and > recieves "501 HELO requires domain address". Verification via telnet shows > the same behaviour. What shall I do to configure sendmail to accept just a > "HELO"? Patrick You can use the "AllowBogusHELO" option: put O AllowBobugusHELO in /etc/sendmail.cf along with the other options (lines starting "O "). However, this is not the correct way to fix it. HELO requires a domain name and I cannot believe that Notes will not send one. It appears that Notes is misconfigured and this is what should be fixed, not sendmail. If this Notes system tries to send mail to anything else it will probably fail too. Regards, Ian ...

Sendmail won't send mail
Hello All, I'm running Sendmail 8.12.11 on Red Hat 9 Kernel 2.4.20-31-9 I can successfully send mail to my Sendmail server, but when I try to send mail out from the Sendmail server, I get the following message: makeconnection: cannot bind socket [0.0.0.0] address already in use. Below I include the d0 display and netstat The submit.cf file I use has the line "DaemonPortOptions=Name=NoMTA, Addr=127.0.0.1, M=E" Here is what netstat shows : ( removed some non-essential lines) Active Internet connections (servers and established) Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address ...

Mail doesn't import Mail messages from another machine
Hi, My friend just got a new G5 (I'm jealous) and would like to import all the mail messages on his old G4 (he has moved them all to an external hard drive for safe keeping). We tried the Tiger Mail>Import scheme and imported from the external hard drive. The Import routine imported all his Mail folders but they're all empty. Is there a way to get this to work correctly? Any help appreciated. r. In article <rb28-E04B37.13013529092005@corp.supernews.com>, "RobertB." <rb28@nyu.edu> wrote: > Hi, > > My friend just got a new G5 (I'm jeal...

Can't send mail using Mail.app, but can with Thunderbird
Hello, I am having one heck of a time, and it's killing me. I am new to the world of OS X but am adapting well, with one exception - Mail. Here's the deal. Using Thunderbird, I can send mail out with password authentication. I can send it via port 25 normally or via port 465 via SSL. I can also telnet to port 25 and see the standard email connection, and I can even fake it out using the proper sequence of commands. I can telnet to port 465, although since that's SSL I can't easily fake key negotiation or anything like that - but, it does establish a connection. However, Mai...

Junk mail box doesn't open automatically, I miss mails because of this
When I get a junk message, Eudora puts it in the junk mail box, but doesn't open the mail box. With other filters, it does open the box automatically. This way I know a mail came in. I would also like Eudora to open my Junk mail box, so I know a mail got in there. Anybody have some advice? Eudora 7 paid mode chieleman On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:13:21 +0100, chieleman <vlaflip31-nieuwsgroepREMOVETHIS@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote: >When I get a junk message, Eudora puts it in the junk mail box, but >doesn't open the mail box. With other filters, it does open t...

Sendmail won't send mail hotmail.
Okay so I bought ipalaces.org through netfirms.com, I then transfered over the nameservers to zoneedit.com because I want to have better control of the DNS. I have ipalaces.org and *.ipalaces.org set to the IP 72.249.127.98 I am using Sendmail 8.13.8 on debian hosted on a virtual private server. I have asked my VPS host to set up a PTR record for ipalaces.org to point back to 72.249.127.98. I have the following setup for sendmail.mc MASQUERADE_AS(`ipalaces.org')dnl CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=72.249.127.98')dnl I have used make in /etc/mail/ to apply the changes to sendmail...

mozilla successfully sends mail, but then doesn't?
I have Mozilla mail reader 1.6 on linux, and it was working until recently. Now when I send mail via SMTP, the progress dialog appears, it says...delivering mail...mail sent successfully...the dialog hangs at this point. Then an error dialog appears and says: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Sending of message failed The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.pacbell.net failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your ...

Sendmail can't send mail when Iptables is on
Hi, I run Sendmail 8.12 on a RH 9 box When IPtables is on, Sendmail can receive mail OK no problem. But I can't send any mail unless I turn Iptables off. I have coding in the firewall script that allows SMTP in and out. When I try to send something out, I do a iptables -L -n -v and save the output. I can see a small number od packets sent out to port 25 of mail recipient, but nothing comes back. As soon as I turn off Iptables the mail goes right out. Would appreciate any thoughts Thanks ! Dave Harman dharman@lin-nett.com (Dave Harman) writes: > Hi, > ...

I can't send mail. Sendmail problem?
I point to /usr/sbin/sendmail in the .muttrc file, but when I try sending mail it gets redirected to my mailspool, error notes attached. What do the men and women of this group do to send mail with mutt? Thanks in advance. Naota ZZ -- naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M') * Naota <see@the.signature>: > I point to /usr/sbin/sendmail in the .muttrc file, > but when I try sending mail it gets redirected to my > mailspool, error notes attached. What do the men > and women of this group do to send mail with mutt? we usually use the de...

Apple Mail; mail doesn't get to server to be "saved"
I'm still one of those increasingly few AOL users (got kids). Have had the account since '95. Anyway, when I got cable access at work, I decided to use my Mac Mini in the office to not only access my work email, but also the AOL account which I use at home for personal stuff. Running Tiger 10.4.7 and Apple Mail on both systems (G4 at home). Things worked fine for months; I simply configured the Mail application to access my office mail server and also my AOL account, which is IMAP. I only use AOL at home. When I use Mail at work, I still get all of my normal AOL mail. I think that wha...

New mail doesn't appear in new mail folder in grouped view
I just upgraded from 4.12 to 4.21c. Overall, I'm impressed with some of the new features. However, while setting up the settings, I somehow got the thing into state where when you download mail from the ISP, the new messages come in, and I can see the new .cnm files in the mail directory, however they don't show up in the new mail folder. This used to happen to me occasionally with the old version of Pegasus, however I could hit the File/Read New Mail menu option, and the new messages would pop in. This doesn't work for me with 4.21c. The strange thing is tha...

Mercury32 don't send mail to hotmail accounts
Please, any help about???? Thanks in advance "Antonio Ib��ez Oliva" <antonio@100.10.10.202> wrote in news:EyqDf.196379 $kp.1698806@telenews.teleline.es: > Please, any help about???? > > Thanks in advance Please provide more details. What exactly is happening? Are youg etting any error messages? If so, exactly waht are they? Are you using MercuryC or MercuryE? Turn on session logging and post a session log of a failed test send. -- Rob Croson (robert@arcm.com) Member of the Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 Beta Test Teams Pegasus Mail ...

root can't send e-mail by sendmail
Hello, user root can't send e-mail. Error is: Sender address not valid or DSN: user not found If I send as any other user even not existing then it works, but if sending as root (from crontab let say) then is never delivered despite it is saying Message accepted for delivery. Is it problem on my server or on remote sendmail relay? Does anybody know how to fix it? Thank you [root@serverA mail]# mail -v -s 'testing sendmail' user@firm.com some text .. Cc: user@firm.com... Connecting to [32.95.226.249] via relay... 220 ********************************************...

OS X Mail doesn't send links
When I forward an email that contains embedded links, Mail does not send the link -- it sends the text only. Shouldn't an email program forward an email exactly as is? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or something? In article <7QI1d.436281$%_6.304314@attbi_s01>, Cindy Murray <cindym3@comcast.net> wrote: > When I forward an email that contains embedded links, Mail does not send > the link -- it sends the text only. Shouldn't an email program forward > an email exactly as is? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or > something? It...

Web resources about - newbie question: sendmail doesn't send mail to external mail account. - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc