Printer

how do i setup a printer in free BSD?
0
Andrew
12/12/2006 10:57:46 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Andrew Doades" <ard@gpdnet.co.uk> writes:

> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

The official Handbook has extensive documentation:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing.html

There are some ports that can help out a lot: I use both
print/apsfilter and print/cups, depending on the environment.
0
Lowell
12/12/2006 11:22:56 PM
Andrew Doades wrote:
> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

You have two options.

1. CUPS -- a network print server, which works fine for a stand-alone
setup, but is a little complicated.

2. Apsfilter -- pretty simple and lightweight, provided you already have
the drivers installed on your system somewhere, and works best in a
stand-alone setup.

Decide which you need. Much depends on the printer, though. Some of the
new inexpensive HPs require special drivers I never got to work on my box.

--
Ed Hurst
----------

#1. details! detail! whatkindofprinter? cups/lpd/whatever?
    inkjetlaserphotohewlettpackardepsonfredshouseofprinters?
    usbserialparallelnetwork? whatsafaq?itriedgoogle?etc.,etc.

#2 i've been a big fan of apsfilter for years. _if_ ghostscript
   supports your printer, install, run the SETUP, and everything
   prints. (well, not everything. forget about $MS word.)

#3 cups seems to be popular, but i'm too stupid to figure out how
   to set it up...

--
donLouis
papaindia (at) comcast (dot) net
On 2006-12-12, Ed Hurst <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Andrew Doades wrote:
>> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?
>
> You have two options.
[snippety]

Couple more, actually. If you have a PS printer, a printcap entry and
lpd is all you need, really. And of course there are the multiple
remakes of lpr that are interesting in their own special ways.

If it the FreeBSD box is to act as a networked printer for windows
boxes, samba gets pulled in after the printer is successfully setup.
After that, well, variations abound.

So, the OP had best state what was really intended, and, after reading
the relevant bit of the handbook, what parts need more explaining.

jpd
12/13/2006 1:04:36 AM
On 2006-12-12, Andrew Doades <ard@gpdnet.co.uk> wrote:
> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

Normally, I would say that your best option for help with any subject in
FreeBSD is to read the handbook. If you are not sure how to find that, post
a question "How Do I Find The HandBook?".

In the case of printing, the handbook is, in my opinion, functionally
useless. I've spent hours struggling with that and it was of no help
whatsoever.

To this day, I am not sure how I got printing to work. And I've done it at
least 4 times now.

I generally keep a good written log of each command, configuration change
etc. that I perform before moving forward. With printing, my record is 2
full pages of notes without printing anything other than thousands of odd
characters. Often on thousands of pages. Printing is currently working (in
most applications) on my system. How I got this to work is a mystery. I've
followed all of the advice in this thread. I couldn't tell  you which is
successful.

In short:
Try everything people suggest. BEFORE YOU TRY CUPS, EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING AS
ROOT:

cd /etc
cp printcap printcap.original

If you don't, when cups overwrites this file it will be lost. If you had
tried other things first, they may be lost.

Good luck and just keep trying things until it works. << crappiest advice I
have ever given, but the only rational way to print in FreeBSD.

Cheers.

JE
0
JE
12/13/2006 3:34:36 AM
JE <finarfinjge@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2006-12-12, Andrew Doades <ard@gpdnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?
>
> Normally, I would say that your best option for help with any subject in
> FreeBSD is to read the handbook. If you are not sure how to find that, post
> a question "How Do I Find The HandBook?".
>
> In the case of printing, the handbook is, in my opinion, functionally
> useless. I've spent hours struggling with that and it was of no help
> whatsoever.

Specific notes about what is lacking would help.  Personally, I'd make a
point of mentioning that lpd with PostScript printers is easy, and CUPS
with any printer generally is not, and if you have a Winprinter, give up
now to save time.

Warren
12/13/2006 4:19:52 PM
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:

> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

How do i get cups to start auto on startup?
0
Andrew
12/14/2006 7:00:55 PM
Andrew Doades wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:
>
>> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?
>
> How do i get cups to start auto on startup?

For the most recent port of CUPS, read the top of the file at
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd and it will explain everything.

In case you miss it:

"Add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] to enable this service"

cupsd_enable="YES"

--
Ed Hurst
----------
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:53:13 +0000, Ed Hurst wrote:

> Andrew Doades wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:
>>
>>> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?
>>
>> How do i get cups to start auto on startup?
>
> For the most recent port of CUPS, read the top of the file at
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd and it will explain everything.
>
> In case you miss it:
>
> "Add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] to enable this service"
>
> cupsd_enable="YES"

Thanks
0
Andrew

Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?
I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix. Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system? I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not the BootOnly CD image. I am downloading the Docs CD image too... I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5) before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO? Thank you in advance for your answers! Stang1 <scott_navarre@yahoo.com> wrote: : I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix. : Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system? ; Highly unlikely. Were the compiled for i386? Other problems you are likely to find is a.out is no longer standard, ELF is. However, I believe if you install the FREEBSD3X compatibility suite, a.out will run. Now, if you were to rebuild from source, the make will likely work with little fuss. And the APIs are probably still close enough to get past the compiler. : : I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I : assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not : the BootOnly CD image. ; You will need to boot CD, plus disk1. The boot CD should be self-explanitory, the disk1 CD will contain the stuff you selected. : : I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5) : before switching over to R...

BSD!!! BSD!!! BSD!!!
From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.misc/about Top posters This month 10 markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com 2 r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de 2 wilcox_and...@childcustodyfordads.eyetraffic.net 1 will...@wilbur.25thandclement.com 1 r...@invalid.address.org 1 ian-n...@hotmail.com 1 rweiku...@mssgmbh.com 1 p...@pk.invalid 1 usenet-nos...@seebs.net 1 rd...@spamcop.net All time 440 pe...@baileynm.com 282 pe...@abbnm.com 252 se...@plethora.net 187 j...@ida.interface-business.de 181 pe...@nmti.com 163 tchr...@mox.perl.com 160 daniel.n.john...@worldn...

BSD!! BSD!! BSD!!
FRom http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc/about Top posters All time 224 p99dr...@criens.u-psud.fr 192 bou...@antifer.ipv6.lip6.fr 190 fr...@immanent.net 178 te...@lambert.org 165 bj...@cus.cam.ac.uk 161 t...@panix.com 160 f...@enteract.com 133 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it 128 burg...@mitre.org 111 ignat...@cs.uni-bonn.de From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Top posters This month 11 i...@satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu 9 wbl...@wonkity.com 8 secret...@lxny.org 7 rd...@spamcop.net 5 amia9...@mypacks.n...

Unix, Minix, Linux, System V and BSD Unix ???

www.unix-solution.org (Unix/BSD Forum)
Dear all, http://www.unix-solution.org This is a UNIX forum. If you are interested, pls have a look and register a account to discuss. It's a new site but you can post your question on there. I'm sure you can get your answer from unix-solution.org if post your message. Have Fun! In article <8342be4c.0402280825.310622ee@posting.google.com>, pcman wrote: [snip] > This is a UNIX forum. > If you are interested, pls have a look and register a account to discuss. > It's a new site but you can post your question on there. > I'm sure you can get you...

Printers: current "best" inkjet printer for FreeBSD?
As my current printer (an old Lexmark Z32) is starting to get old (it is ok, it has served my needs well for over five years now), I'm slowly and carefully looking for a new inkjet printer. Of course I wonder what is currently the "best" inkjet printer for FreeBSD. For my definition of "best" see below. "Best" (in this relation) means: - it must be cheap (not necessarily the cheapest) - ink cartridges must be (reatively) cheap - it must be possible to connect it directly to a FreeBSD machine and use a driver that works under FreeBSD (ghostscri...

[News] BSD/UNIX Still Thrive in Way, PC-BSD Can Run Windows Applications

USB printers with FreeBSD
I have found it quite impossible to get a USB Epson printer working with FreeBSD. This is a great pity as in all other ways I find FreeBSD excellent. The strange thing is that PC-BSD, which is based on FreeBSD does a very good job of running the standard KDE CUPS installation. If PC-BSD can do it surely FreeBSD ought to be able to! The FreeBSD handbook throws in the towel before the beginning of round one. While admitting that USB is better, it effectively says, "If you have a USB printer, tough luck! FreeBSD does not support them. You will have to get a Serial or Parall...

Which Printer for CUPS / FreeBSD?
Hi, I'd like to replace my old HP DJ 670C with a new one. I'd prefer an Epson Stylus C82 -- however, I quite open on this. However, the C82 sets the price limit ;-) Well, my Problem is the printer driver. I'm using CUPS and would like to stay with it. I found a note on a PPD File at linuxprinting -- will such a PPD File work with FreeBSD? What about the Utilities (e.g. Head Cleanining etc)? And what about e.g. HP Printers? I read HP devloped OpenSource Drivers for their printers - for Linux -- will they work (compile and then work :-)) on FreeBSD, too? With CUPS?...

MUMPS for BSD/Unix
Aloha, Is anyone here aware of any available Open Source MUMPS Release for the FreeBSD operating system? Thank you, Steven Tomlinson Pacific Telehealth and Technology Hui A Dod/VA Joint Venture www.PacificHui.org You are looking for Mumps-V1: sourceforge.net/projects/mumps/ Ray Newman's great contribution. "Steven Tomlinson" <stevet@programmer.net> wrote in message news:3f4a7525$0$43849$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net... > Aloha, > Is anyone here aware of any available Open Source MUMPS Release for the > FreeBSD operating system? > > Thank you, > Steven...

is freebsd = linux = unix?
is freebsd = linux = unix? -- In article <bi7cch$lou3@imsp212.netvigator.com>, Mylinux wrote: > is freebsd = linux = unix? No: FreeBSD > Unix >> Linux ;-) -- Erik Nygren e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t Linux - If you hate Microsoft, FreeBSD - If you love Unix Erik Nygren wrote: > No: FreeBSD > Unix >> Linux ;-) Where does Windows XP or 2003 fit in there? -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - ...

Printer Ink

photo printer that works under FreeBSD?
Since I finally have a digital camera that works and takes quality pictures, I'm now turning my attention to a printer. Do any of the "affordable" printers work with FreeBSD? Has anyone actually used one with photo ink and paper? hawk -- Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign dochawk@psu.edu Smeal 178 (814) 375-4700 \ / against HTML mail These opinions will not be those of X and postings. Penn State until it pays my retainer. / \ On 2003-12-01, Dr. Richard E. Hawkins <hawk@slytherin.ds.psu.edu> wrote: > Since I finally have a digital camera that works and takes quality > pictures, I'm now turning my attention to a printer. > > Do any of the "affordable" printers work with FreeBSD? Has anyone > actually used one with photo ink and paper? > > hawk I've used Epson C-80 with CUPS and gimp-print, despite the claim on linuxprinting.org that the printer was fully supported, I've never got anything but really bad quality of printouts. I haven't spent too much time on this though. -- Vladimir I use an Epson C82 it works well under linux and should work with FreeBSD. Le Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:37:32 +0000, Vladimir V Egorin a �crit : > On 2003-12-01, Dr. Richard E. Hawkins <hawk@slytherin.ds.psu.edu> wrote: >> Since I finally have a digital camera that works and takes quality >&g...

Merging BSD/OS and FreeBSD
I was wondering how many ideas/concepts did FreeBSD and BSD/OS were merged pre BSD/OS-5.X? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Birthdate: 29 Jan 1969 Redhill Surrey England ...

FreeBSD as printing server
Hi, I'm going to get my FreeBSD box running as a printing server. I want to buy a reasonable laser printer at a reasonable price, that just works fine with FreeBSD. Can you give me a hint, which printer would be the right choice for me? Best regards dd dutch disCo <dutch@disco.com> wrote: >I'm going to get my FreeBSD box running as a printing server. I want to >buy a reasonable laser printer at a reasonable price, that just works >fine with FreeBSD. Please cf. an archive of this newsgroup (for example, Google Groups), since this has been discus...

Where to set the default unix printer
Where do yo uset the default printer used by unix commands like lpr? I know I can specify a printer on the command line, but I want to set one as default. Thanks. In article <091220031820438529%ajanta@no.email>, Ajanta <ajanta@no.email> wrote: > Where do yo uset the default printer used by unix commands like lpr? > I know I can specify a printer on the command line, but I want to set > one as default. Thanks. run Print Center from the /Applications/Utilities directory. Select the printer you want to be the default. Click "Make Default" button. Quit. -- ...

pscp Unix to Unix
I'm using the pscp command to get a file from a Unix ftp server. Here's the command: pscp -v -P 22 -pw MYPASSWORD -batch MYUSER@some.location.edu:/src// file.txt file2.txt Here's the trace: Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.5 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.60 Using SSH protocol version 2 Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-256 Host key fingerprint is: ssh-rsa 2048 71:8a:33:8d:e7:41:95:45:c2:f2:77:ff:27:aa:0a:bb Initialised AES-256 SDCTR client->server encryption Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm Ini...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

disk copy for Unix / Freebsd?
anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to a new hd, Ghost 2003 chokes on it. Don't like the file system. Thanks Bob Spam Killer <who-cares@10.3.6.153> wrote: > anybody have any suggestions what to use to copy a FreeBSD boot hd to a new > hd dd(1)? - Philip -- Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup. I have not lost my mind, it is backed up on tape somewhere. Spam Killer <who-cares@10.3.6.153> writes...

unix version of unix
I need to install version of clipper under Solaris intel platform . Where can I find it easily downloaded and easily exapnded ? "hpy_awad@yahoo.com" <ehab_aziz2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7ecaee57.0402032342.679c3b02@posting.google.com... > I need to install version of clipper under Solaris intel platform . > Where can I find it easily downloaded and easily exapnded ? I use FlagShip. It's an excellent product. But not free! It is available for Sun Solaris. Visit www.fship.com -- Norman Perelson http://www.shopkeeper.co.za mailto:norman@shoso.co.za ...

BSD/Linux/UNIX and freedom
I think back to the 1980s and how operating systems and networking was very expensive. Just having a network as a big expense. ArcNet, token ring, and multiple forms of ethernet were fairly expensive hardware, systems often used RS-232 point to point access for exchanging files. Novell Netware made their name as an obscure vendor that made a networking system for Quadram networking cards. In the 1990s, networking got cheaper, mostly, but Novell charged HUGE amounts of cash for Netware and support. Just to connect with support you had to have a credit card, plus, you had to buy each network...

MS FoxPro Unix on FreeBSD
This is what you do: http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26277 ...

Installing a no-postscript printer on freebsd
Hello I`m trying to install my HP laserjet 5p on freebsd 5.3. The printer doesn`t understand postscript. I`ve read the handbook and installed ghostscript and lpd. I changed rc.conf to start lpd for each system boot. dmesg printer part looks like this: ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5P> HP ENHANCED PCL5,PJL lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0 lpt0: Interrupt-driven port ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus printcap looks like this: lp|HP Laserjet 5P:\ :sh:\ :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\ :lf=/var/log/lpd:\ :lp=/dev/lpt0:\ :if=/etc/lpfilter: lpfilter looks like this: ...

MS FoxPro Unix on FreeBSD
This is what I do: http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26277 Is there a question here? Rick "Michael Green" <michaelrmgreen@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message = news:e5c9d40b.0411080508.729a7121@posting.google.com... > This is what I do: > = http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=3D&threadid=3D26277 "Rick Bean" <rgbean@NOSPAMmelange-inc.com> wrote in message news:<10ov2c9kgs1460f@corp.supernews.com>... > Is there a question here? > > Rick > No, the post is for a collection ...

Web resources about - Printer - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Mattel unveils ThingMaker, a 3D printer for kids
Toy company hopes to make 3D printing mainstream with a new system designed for children

In a World of Smart Everything, Printers Have Finally Caught Up
... we’re saying is, we want to avoid meeting places that, well, should have never become meeting places. What are we talking about? Slow printers. ...