Problem Starting X-Windows in free BSD

Hello,

I've been trying to load the XFree86 but all i've got is a blank gray
screen with the X curser on it, no menus what so ever, and none of the
mouse buttons do anything. I'll appriciate your help.

Lior.
0
sh
12/3/2003 7:33:30 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <3bc64e20.0312031133.4e1b1256@posting.google.com>, Lior.S. wrote:
> I've been trying to load the XFree86 but all i've got is a blank gray
> screen with the X curser on it,

Success! XFree86 works. This is what it looks like without window manager.

> no menus what so ever, and none of the
> mouse buttons do anything. I'll appriciate your help.

Start a window manager (wm). The ``standard way'' to have your wm of
choice start when you run startx is to put it in your $HOME/.xinitrc .

See the handbook, chapter 5, for details and more explanation.  If you
want a ``graphical login'', pay special attention to section 5.6.

jpd
12/3/2003 7:45:38 PM
Lior.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to load the XFree86 but all i've got is a blank gray
> screen with the X curser on it, no menus what so ever, and none of the
> mouse buttons do anything. I'll appriciate your help.
>
> Lior.

Bet you just typed "X". Anyway that gray screen with cursor is the X
server running with no window manager. So step one, make the X server
work, is going. Check that you've got no "$HOME/.xinitrc" file and run
the command "startx".  This should run the default window manager. If
it doesn't you may not have a complete X11 install (look for the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc - a shell script that starts things
up)  With the default xinitrc used via startx you should get a few
terminal windows and basic control menus.  Next you can work on giving
yourself a richer environment. KDE and Gnome (in the ports/packages
naturally) are popular but there are many choices available depending
upon your needs/desires.

0
_
12/3/2003 7:55:11 PM
Lior.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to load the XFree86 but all i've got is a blank gray
> screen with the X curser on it, no menus what so ever, and none of the
> mouse buttons do anything. I'll appriciate your help.
>
> Lior.

1.) edit your ~/.xinitrc by adding e.g.:
    exec twm

2.) chmod 700 ~/.xinitrc

3.) startx

That should get you going :)

0
Magnus
12/3/2003 8:05:35 PM
jpd wrote:

> In article <3bc64e20.0312031133.4e1b1256@posting.google.com>, Lior.S. wrote:
>
>>I've been trying to load the XFree86 but all i've got is a blank gray
>>screen with the X curser on it,
>

> Success! XFree86 works. This is what it looks like without window manager.

You may well be right, but I'm sure that my default 5.x installation
decided for me that it would run twm (I think that's the name - I'm not
a fan of that manager) without any configuring from me.

I may be suffering a failure of memory, though.
--
Bob
London, UK