Python x Postgresql [Python x FreeBSD ?] Thrreading Problem

Hello,

Has anyone had experience installing Postgresql on FreeBSD platforms?

I am attempting to compile Postgresql from source with python enable. I
have compiled & installed python on my machine according to the
instruction, installation seems fine

My Platform  ==>
# uname -a
   FreeBSD econ.com 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Wed Nov 12
17:41:01 PST 2003
root@standard.dedicated.finance.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STANDARD  i386

Running Python from the shell
# python
   Python 2.4.2 (#2, Dec 19 2005, 05:08:47)
   [GCC 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]] on freebsd4

When I configure Postgresql it stops with a
   checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
   checking for Python distutils module... yes
   checking Python configuration directory...
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/config
   checking how to link an embedded Python application...
-L/usr/local/lib/python2.4/config -lpython2.4 -lutil -lm
   checking whether Python is compiled with thread support... yes
   configure: error: *** Threaded Python not supported on this platform ***

How can I correct this? is there a non-threaded python installation? Or
is this a FreeBSD problem, python is installed on the platform and seems
to be functional so I guess it might be a more of a PostgreSQL X Python
interaction, rather than Python x FreeBSD as indicated in the error
message. But with no a priori info I can't decide. In any case a
solution is welcomed

Thanks

Adam
0
Adam
12/20/2005 6:31:54 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Adam Smith wrote:
> I am attempting to compile Postgresql from source with python enable. I
> have compiled & installed python on my machine according to the
> instruction, installation seems fine
>
> My Platform  ==>
> # uname -a
>   FreeBSD econ.com 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Wed Nov 12
> 17:41:01 PST 2003
> root@standard.dedicated.finance.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STANDARD  i386
>
> Running Python from the shell
> # python
>   Python 2.4.2 (#2, Dec 19 2005, 05:08:47)
>   [GCC 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]] on freebsd4
>   Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>
> When I configure Postgresql it stops with a
>   checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
>   checking for Python distutils module... yes
>   checking Python configuration directory...
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/config
>   checking how to link an embedded Python application...
> -L/usr/local/lib/python2.4/config -lpython2.4 -lutil -lm
>   checking whether Python is compiled with thread support... yes
>   configure: error: *** Threaded Python not supported on this platform ***
>
> How can I correct this? is there a non-threaded python installation? Or
> is this a FreeBSD problem, python is installed on the platform and seems
> to be functional so I guess it might be a more of a PostgreSQL X Python
> interaction, rather than Python x FreeBSD as indicated in the error
> message. But with no a priori info I can't decide. In any case a
> solution is welcomed

Adam,

it seems to me that you have just to rebuild python with WITHOUT_THREADS
option.  As pgsqls' configure reports threaded python (you have
installed this one) is not supported on FreeBSD.

And do not use downloaded sources for building, use ports!

bye,

/ash

0
alexander