Still can't work ZIP drive (FreeBSD 4.9)

I've been fiddling for a while trying to mount a ZIP drive.
Got the following in dmesg:

   afd0: 96MB <IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI> [96/64/32] at ata0-slave PIO0

Finally, I tried

    foreach DEV ( /dev/a* )
      mount -t msdos $DEV /ZIP
      sleep 2
    end

Watched the whole thing.  EVERY try got one error
message, one of (not exact words, shortened):

   Device not configured
   Device busy
   Invalid argument

(I think that's all)  Device busy was when it got to
the Windows disk which was already mounted.

Any help?  Already poked around on the web and in
/usr/share/doc/handbook but no solution.

Take out the  -t msdos  and get the expected "incorrect
superblock"  for certain /dev names.  Which leads me to
believe that particular /dev name is a good one to use.
But that's one of the ones that says "Invalid argument"

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

Wes Groleau <groleau+wes@freeshell.org> wrote:
> I've been fiddling for a while trying to mount a ZIP drive.
> Got the following in dmesg:
>
>    afd0: 96MB <IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI> [96/64/32] at ata0-slave PIO0
>
> Finally, I tried
>
>     foreach DEV ( /dev/a* )
>       mount -t msdos $DEV /ZIP
>       sleep 2
>     end

Don't you need the slice number in there?  Probably you have the whole
thing as the first partition:

mount -t msdos /dev/afd0s1 /ZIP

Warren
1/17/2004 7:27:21 PM
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> Wes Groleau <groleau+wes@freeshell.org> wrote:
>> I've been fiddling for a while trying to mount a ZIP drive.
>> Got the following in dmesg:
>>
>>    afd0: 96MB <IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI> [96/64/32] at ata0-slave PIO0
>>
>> Finally, I tried
>>
>>     foreach DEV ( /dev/a* )
>>       mount -t msdos $DEV /ZIP
>>       sleep 2
>>     end
>
> Don't you need the slice number in there?  Probably you have the whole
> thing as the first partition:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/afd0s1 /ZIP

more probably /dev/afd0s4

--

Michel TALON

0
talon
1/17/2004 8:09:47 PM
Michel Talon wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>Wes Groleau <groleau+wes@freeshell.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I've been fiddling for a while trying to mount a ZIP drive.
>>>Got the following in dmesg:
>>>
>>>   afd0: 96MB <IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI> [96/64/32] at ata0-slave PIO0
>>>
>>>Finally, I tried
>>>
>>>    foreach DEV ( /dev/a* )
>>>      mount -t msdos $DEV /ZIP
>>>      sleep 2
>>>    end
>>
>>Don't you need the slice number in there?  Probably you have the whole
>>thing as the first partition:
>>
>>mount -t msdos /dev/afd0s1 /ZIP

Whether it needs the slice, I don't know.  Notice my
(csh) 'foreach' loop.  I got tired of trying one thing
and another based on web pages that don't agree with each
other.  One web page said that a first letter of 'a' meant
ATA so I decided to loop through ALL available /dev/a*
None of them worked.

I have two ATA interfaces.  One has the Windows hard drive
as Master.  It has two partitions, Windows C: and my earlier
BSD installation which I intend to get rid of and give the
space back to WindBlows.  These correctly mount as:

/dev/ad0s1           812832 807524    5308    99%    /C
/dev/ad0s2           128990  36544   82128    31%    /slash

The ZIP is the slave on the same interface.  So I figured
ad1 or ad1s1 made sense.  Didn't work.  Checked dmesg and saw
the afd: line, so tried a couple of combinations of that.
Then tried (why not?) ad2 and ad3 even though I was sure
I had plugged the CD reader and writer into those.

Finally, I just tried the loop and watched to see if any
of them worked.  (I could tell none did because--forgot
to say so in my post--there was a 'echo $DEV' in the loop
also.

 > more probably /dev/afd0s4

I just tried that, and it worked.  Don't know why it didn't
work in my loop.  How did you know it would be slice four?
And is the first removable on the interface always '0' even
when it's the slave and there's a non-removeable on the master?

Anyway, thanks for giving me reason to try it again!

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/
* Wes Groleau <groleau+wes@freeshell.org> wrote:

> > more probably /dev/afd0s4
>
> I just tried that, and it worked.  Don't know why it didn't
> work in my loop.  How did you know it would be slice four?

For some reason known to Iomega only (I guess), ZIP media are
partitioned/sliced that way by default.

> And is the first removable on the interface always '0' even
> when it's the slave and there's a non-removeable on the master?

It's the first device controlled by the 'afd' driver.

Stefan
--
No reading beyond this point
0
Stefan Walter  <sw+usenet@gegenunendlich.de> wrote:
% * Wes Groleau <groleau+wes@freeshell.org> wrote:
%
% > > more probably /dev/afd0s4
% >
% > I just tried that, and it worked.  Don't know why it didn't
% > work in my loop.  How did you know it would be slice four?
%
% For some reason known to Iomega only (I guess), ZIP media are
% partitioned/sliced that way by default.

It's probably worth pointing out that you can find out how the disk
is sliced using fdisk

  fdisk /dev/afd0
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

> I've been fiddling for a while trying to mount a ZIP drive.
> Got the following in dmesg:
>
>    afd0: 96MB <IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI> [96/64/32] at ata0-slave PIO0
>
> Finally, I tried
>
>     foreach DEV ( /dev/a* )
>       mount -t msdos $DEV /ZIP
>       sleep 2
>     end
>
> Watched the whole thing.  EVERY try got one error
> message, one of (not exact words, shortened):
>
>    Device not configured
>    Device busy
>    Invalid argument
>
> (I think that's all)  Device busy was when it got to
> the Windows disk which was already mounted.
>
> Any help?  Already poked around on the web and in
> /usr/share/doc/handbook but no solution.
>
> Take out the  -t msdos  and get the expected "incorrect
> superblock"  for certain /dev names.  Which leads me to
> believe that particular /dev name is a good one to use.
> But that's one of the ones that says "Invalid argument"

Use this for a FFS formatted disk:

mount /dev/afd0 /mnt

Use this for a FAT formatted disk:

mount_msdos -l /dev/afd0s4 /mnt

--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.
0
Daniel

Can't buildworld
I have done a cvs on my FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE system and am now wanting to make buildworld. The problem is, each time I attempt one the build will run for about one hour and then falls over when it reaches: /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/herror.c: In function 'herror': /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/herror.c:97 syntax error before '~' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/src. 1995.499U 433.690S 43:27.63 93.1% 1394+1763k 20696+3006io 2055pf+0w (Please note I ran the command with 'time' in front.) I have re cvs'd to elimante the chance of a server upload during my inital cvs but this didn't fix the problem. I have ensured that 'date' is set correctly. I'm relatively certain there is no RAM issue with the computer but if necessary I will replace the RAM stick for another. Is there anything else I may have done wrong or something I can check? It appears the error occurs at a slightly different point each time however usually having something to do with 'libc'. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Sh4d03 -- If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide assistance to me and wish to E-mail me directly please also feel free to contact me in thi...

gnuplot with png/jpeg on FreeBSD 4.9 or FreeBSD 4.7
I cannot get gnuplot 4.0.0 made with gd/jpeg/png support. This was not a problem on 3.7 on the same FreeBSD 4.7/4.9 machines. I tried the options --with-gd=/usr/local/lib and --with-gd=/usr/local/lib but no success, all png and gd options in ../configure report "checking for ... no". All libgd and libpng, libjpeg can be found in /usr/local/lib and all required header files can be found in /usr/local/include. Gnuplot is made but always without png/jpeg support. Lutz lutz <lutz@nuevatec.com> wrote: > I cannot get gnuplot 4.0.0 made with gd/jpeg/png suppor...

Can anyone tell me why this bpf code doesn't work with FreeBSD...
I'm trying to get VAX emulation running on FreeBSD using simh from http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ The code has hooks for NetBSD and OpenBSD and Linux (uses libpcap on *BSD). The code from the simh v3.0 simulator is as follows: #if defined (__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__) dev->handle = (void*) pcap_open_live(savname, bufsz, ETH_PROMISC, -1, errbuf); #endif /* (__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__) */ What's needed to get this to work on FreeBSD. It appears in it's default config to be unable to open the ethernet, even though it sees fxp0. If I change the...

can't mount xp file system on freebsd 4.7
mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has anyone else had any success with this? In article <3F21B9FE.4090007@cox.net>, Aaron Prillaman wrote: > mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs > mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured > > I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has > anyone else had any success with this? Does the /dev/ad1s1 device not exist? Kris In article <3F23073A.5020700@cox.net>, Aaron Prillama...

FreeBSD 4.9 CD won't boot on Toshiba Tecra 8000
I've burned a 4.9 ISO onto a CD-R and it won't boot on my Tecra 8000! The CD will boot on another PC but just not on this one. Also, the Toshiba DOES boot other CDs. For example, I was able to boot from CD and install Mandrake 9.2 on the Tecra. So I'm not sure why this particular CD won't boot on the Tecra. Any ideas? I don't have a floppy drive so I'm not sure how else to install FreeBSD. Can I install FreeBSD from Linux (Mandrake 9.2)? Are there any other options I should consider? "Ned Flanders" <anonmanshun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<KOKyb.7549$_j6.1578056@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>... > I've burned a 4.9 ISO onto a CD-R and it won't boot on my Tecra 8000! The > CD will boot on another PC but just not on this one. Also, the Toshiba DOES > boot other CDs. For example, I was able to boot from CD and install > Mandrake 9.2 on the Tecra. So I'm not sure why this particular CD won't > boot on the Tecra. Any ideas? may sound stupid. ..but check the bios. i've had similar problems on the same laptop. it's ESC during boot screen, then F1. this may help. . .i had no problems with FBSD 4.8 or 5.1. http://sddi.net/Tecra8000.html ...

can't use "sneeze" program on FreeBSD 5.4
For some reason, I can't run this sneeze program on my 5.4 box. http://snort.sourceforge.net/sneeze-1.0.tar It is a program to test one's snort rules for proper logging. When I run it....it simply spikes the CPU to 90% or more and does nothing. When I run perl in debugging mode I get this: root@fire# perl -d sneeze.pl -d 192.168.1.5 -f exploit.rules Loading DB routines from perl5db.pl version 1.28 Editor support available. Enter h or `h h' for help, or `man perldebug' for more help. main::(sneeze.pl:6): require 'getopts.pl'; DB<1> I am not a perl expert....so can someone help me? On 2005-05-24, AF <none@none.com> wrote: > > For some reason, I can't run this sneeze program on my 5.4 box. > http://snort.sourceforge.net/sneeze-1.0.tar > It is a program to test one's snort rules for proper logging. > When I run it....it simply spikes the CPU to 90% or more and > does nothing. When I run perl in debugging mode I get this: > > root@fire# perl -d sneeze.pl -d 192.168.1.5 -f exploit.rules > > Loading DB routines from perl5db.pl version 1.28 > Editor support available. > > Enter h or `h h' for help, or `man perldebug' for more help. > > main::(sneeze.pl:6): require 'getopts.pl'; > DB<1> > > > I am not a perl expert....so can someone help me? Try talking to the authors of the software ...

pgnuplot 4.0 can't get 'with labels' feature to work
Hi, I can plot the curve just fine unless I try to add labels to the data points. I have seen this labels technique working on several gnuplot tutorials. I cannot find a reason why mine doesn't work. Thanks in advance, Ed WinXP SP2 pgnuplot 4.0 (works) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints (doesn't work) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints,'' using 2:3:2 with labels ^ expecting 'lines', 'points', 'linespoints',...

Can't see hard drive/can't boot.
Using an Intel Mac with 2gb ram with updated Leopard. When starting up, the hard drive does its usual whine, then stops, and starts again. I get the Apple logo on the grey background. But it refuses to go further. Just does this over and over. Its like its hitting some block on the startup. So I take that hard drive and try it on another Mac. It sees it perfectly. I try some utilities to test it - tests 100%. It behaves perfectly. Then I take the 2nd hard drive I use all the time on that system (firewire) and plug it into the other Mac. Its invisible. Nothing in the Finder. ...

Linux Ubuntu 9.10 karmic STILL can't get Suspend working correctly.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1315690 "I am having a problem and not sure if its just a bug of the new ubuntu version. When i close my laptop and then open it back up there is nothing on my screen it is just black so i end up having to hold down my power button to turn it off and then turn it back on and go through the whole log in screen and all that. when i had the old version of ubuntu i could close it then open it back up and it would be on the log in screen so can somebody tell me how i can fix this or if its just a bug i dont know please help cause its getting old having...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware victim: "3-4 weeks...still can't get it to work
"Been slogging away at this for 3-4 weeks now and still can't get 10.04 to work. I've searched high and low with no solution to be found. If anyone has any suggestions here's my issue and thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1487227" Be patient, my son. Give it another 3-4 decades. ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #9
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings (&qu...

FAQ 5.35 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #4
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.35: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily e...

FAQ 5.35 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #9
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.35: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings (&quo...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #4 555136
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings (&qu...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #4 339019
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape charac...

Can't Find Answer Any Where (What would you do/try): fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The fact that I'm using a shared drive may be mute information. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the fil...

Can't synch T|E after 4.1.4 to 4.1.4 upgrade
I upgraded my Palm Desktop for T|E w/ OS 5.2.1 and now can't sync as I could before, using USB. All settings seem ok. Win 2K tries to Install a new device on hotsyn, and ignoring, then searching, hasn't helped. palmOne suggested finding and installing one of these files: VisorUsb.inf OR PalmUSB.sys I can find neither file on my system, and they're not offered as a d/load anywhere. Also tried reinstalling, repair then fresh, no help. I did the "upgrade" because: Palm advises even updating an older 4.1.4 version to the newer 4.1.4, for updated Window Outloo...

Jedit 4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8 and Diablo-JDK1.3.1 - SIGILL 4
Hello, all - I've searched through Google (and on the Jedit site at sourceforge) for any other posts relative to this problem, and haven't found any. This post is to compare notes and see if this is truly unique to this machine or if someone else has seen this issue and has a ready answer for it. The installation of "Jedit" through the FreeBSD ports system seems to go fine - all the checksums match - and, since the installation program uses a "jar" file rather than the typical source code compile (and that throws no error messages), it seems as through Diablo-JDK1.3.1 is behaving properly. I have compiled and run another Java program using this JDK on this machine so I know it works OK in and of itself. When in KDE 3.2, starting "jedit" from the command line in a terminal window, I get a very long message listing all of the various green threads that threw the SIGILL 4* message (it seems to start with the command to show the spash screen). I also get a 56Meg core dump ("java.core"). An excerpt from the "SIGILL" message is below: *** SIGILL 4* illegal instruction Full thread dump Classic VM (diablo-1.3.1-0, green threads): "Image Fetcher 3" (TID:0x2883c920, sys_thread_t:0x8380480, state:R) prio=3 at java.awt.MediaTracker.setDone(MediaTracker.java:773) at java.awt.MediaEntry.setStatus(MediaTracker.java:846) at java.awt.ImageMediaEntry.imag...

Can't get sqlite3.Row working: keyword lookup doesn't work
Hello, using Python 2.7.6 I try to access a sqlite database using keyword lookup instead of position (much more easy to maintain code), but it always fail, with the error: Index must be int or string I have created the database, populated it, and here is the code that tries to retrieve the information: with sqlite3.connect(mydbPath) as db: # open the database db.row_factory = sqlite3.Row cursor = db.cursor() cursor.execute("SELECT * FROM files") for row in cursor.fetchall(): print(row.keys()) print(row["filename&qu...

wireless card works from knoppix but can't get working with hard drive install
my usb wireless nic a hawking hwu54g zd1211 driver knoppix brings it up 0 problem and Im BAM on the net now i want to make it work with a normal hard drive install wha do i do? How do i dig the config outa knoppix? I did lsusb and it shows... will post more tonight when i get home ...

wireless card works from knoppix but can't get working with hard drive install #2
my usb wireless nic a hawking hwu54g zd1211 driver knoppix brings it up 0 problem and Im BAM on the net now i want to make it work with a normal hard drive install wha do i do? How do i dig the config outa knoppix? I did lsusb and it shows... will post more tonight when i get home ...

Can unix sort handle multiple spaces as delimiter between fields? Can't get it to work with them
runing Sun Unix 5.8 on Sun-Fire-15000 i have a smal file (20k) that looks like the following. some fields have 1 space between them, others 2, others more. (. = space) 00290..S.....33.XS798............SUB.......SUB ACTIVE 19971202 00090..S.... 69KV..TSS30 TR LTC TR2 ACTIVE 20050201 00135..S.... 69KV..TSS30 TRLTC TR1 ACTIVE 20050201 the problem is that when i do the following sort +2 -3 it works the 3rd the list is correctly sorted in the third column. however, if I want to sort on the 4 colum and do sort +4 -5 it ...

Problem: Computer thinks hard drive is full but it's not
Getting an error saying that my hard drive is full - no space on it , even though I know I have about 800 megs free. As a result I can't open any applications. It started when I tried to save a file, and I got this error that there is no hard disk space. But I did a "get info" on my hard drive and it showed 800 megs free and no ram usage issues. I tried to fix it using Norton Disk Doctor off the hard drive, but Norton said to run from a CD, so I did that. Norton described things it wanted to fix, including, most prominently, "resource fork" errors and "a major err...

Web resources about - Still can't work ZIP drive (FreeBSD 4.9) - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc