can't see XP files in mount_smbfs mount

I've been trying to create a backup of my xp-pro laptop using samba (2.2.8
on freebsd 4.4). I can mount the laptop's drive just fine and see all the
directories, but all the directories on the mounted share appear empty (at
least when I perform an ls -la command). This might be the first time I've
attempted to mount an XP shared resource (I honestly can't recall), and
didn't have this problem when I did this with my Win2k laptop. Is this a
common problem and what you some good advice be to fix this problem. I see
the latest verison of samba is 2.2.11, should I upgrade my port? Will I have
to recompile my kernel? Will that wipe out my /etc/smb.conf file? Ugh...

Thanks,
Jeff.

0
Jeff
9/8/2004 6:52:38 AM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd 391 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Jeff,

I just tested mounting the xp file system (a shared folder) on freebsd
5.2.1 and it works just fine.

Here is how you can do it.

Hope it helps.

http://www.avoid.ca/blog/

for the exact location go to

http://www.avoid.ca/blog/archives/2004/09/mounting_window.html

HTH
Dariush

www.realsoftstudio.com

Mysql Database Migation

"Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com> wrote in message news:<2aqdnTxtL7ykMaPcRVn-gg@scnresearch.com>...
> I've been trying to create a backup of my xp-pro laptop using samba (2.2.8
> on freebsd 4.4). I can mount the laptop's drive just fine and see all the
> directories, but all the directories on the mounted share appear empty (at
> least when I perform an ls -la command). This might be the first time I've
> attempted to mount an XP shared resource (I honestly can't recall), and
> didn't have this problem when I did this with my Win2k laptop. Is this a
> common problem and what you some good advice be to fix this problem. I see
> the latest verison of samba is 2.2.11, should I upgrade my port? Will I have
> to recompile my kernel? Will that wipe out my /etc/smb.conf file? Ugh...
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff.
0
Dariush
9/8/2004 10:43:27 PM
yep, that the procedure and as I mentioned, the mount "mounts" just fine.
It's that any subdirectory in the mounted folder won't display (when
performing an ls or anything) the files within that subdirectory.

"Dariush" <Dariush@realsoftstudio.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I just tested mounting the xp file system (a shared folder) on freebsd
> 5.2.1 and it works just fine.
>
> Here is how you can do it.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> http://www.avoid.ca/blog/
>
> for the exact location go to
>
> http://www.avoid.ca/blog/archives/2004/09/mounting_window.html
>

> HTH
> Dariush
>
> www.realsoftstudio.com
>
> Mysql Database Migation
>

> "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to create a backup of my xp-pro laptop using samba
(2.2.8
> > on freebsd 4.4). I can mount the laptop's drive just fine and see all
the
> > directories, but all the directories on the mounted share appear empty
(at
> > least when I perform an ls -la command). This might be the first time
I've
> > attempted to mount an XP shared resource (I honestly can't recall), and
> > didn't have this problem when I did this with my Win2k laptop. Is this a
> > common problem and what you some good advice be to fix this problem. I
see
> > the latest verison of samba is 2.2.11, should I upgrade my port? Will I
have
> > to recompile my kernel? Will that wipe out my /etc/smb.conf file? Ugh...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff.

0
Jeff
9/9/2004 4:41:25 PM
It looks like the file permissions had something to do with it. When I set
the laptop share settings to "Don't allow network users to alter files",
everything worked just fine.

Jeff.

"Dariush" <Dariush@realsoftstudio.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I just tested mounting the xp file system (a shared folder) on freebsd
> 5.2.1 and it works just fine.
>
> Here is how you can do it.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> http://www.avoid.ca/blog/
>
> for the exact location go to
>
> http://www.avoid.ca/blog/archives/2004/09/mounting_window.html
>

> HTH
> Dariush
>
> www.realsoftstudio.com
>
> Mysql Database Migation
>

> "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com> wrote in message
>> I've been trying to create a backup of my xp-pro laptop using samba
>> (2.2.8
>> on freebsd 4.4). I can mount the laptop's drive just fine and see all the
>> directories, but all the directories on the mounted share appear empty
>> (at
>> least when I perform an ls -la command). This might be the first time
>> I've
>> attempted to mount an XP shared resource (I honestly can't recall), and
>> didn't have this problem when I did this with my Win2k laptop. Is this a
>> common problem and what you some good advice be to fix this problem. I
>> see
>> the latest verison of samba is 2.2.11, should I upgrade my port? Will I
>> have
>> to recompile my kernel? Will that wipe out my /etc/smb.conf file? Ugh...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff.

0
Jeff

can't mount xp file system on freebsd 4.7
mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has anyone else had any success with this? In article <3F21B9FE.4090007@cox.net>, Aaron Prillaman wrote: > mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /ntfs > mount_ntfs: /dev/ad1s1: Device not configured > > I've recompiled my kernel with NTFS option set, but still no luck. has > anyone else had any success with this? Does the /dev/ad1s1 device not exist? Kris In article <3F23073A.5020700@cox.net>, Aaron Prillama...

Tomcat can't 'see' new files
Hello all. This might be slightly off topic for this forum, but I'm betting there's some of you out there with some experience with Apache Tomcat. Here's my problem. I have an applet that is used for scanning document images. When the applet loads, it loads a multipage tiff file, and via a different command line based application, splits the pages in to single page tiff files with names in the format of pageaa.tif, pageab.tif, etc. My problem is that when the pages get 'split' apart, Tomcat doesn't seem to recognize that the new files exist. i.e. If i point my bros...

DOS tcp/ip can't see XP , but can see windows 2000?
I'm having a world of trouble trying to get the DOS tcp/ip boot disk from Drive Image 2002 to connect to an XP home machine. Here's the setup. Networked on Linksys SR41 router. Boot to DOS on any of my machines, load tcp/ip drivers . All ok. I can connect to my W2000 Pro machine, no problem. I get the dreaded "ERROR 53, the computer name cannot be located when trying to connect to a valid share" on the XP Home box. All the shares on ALL the boxes, are working fine from WITHIN WINDOWS 98,2000, and XP. Why is the name resolution not ...

NFS mounted home folder -- Can't see various files
Hi I am NFS mounting the /Users folder of one OSX box on some iBooks. The export options are r/w and maproot=nobody. The UIDs and GIDs are identical on all machines. The iBook clients pick mount the /Users folder and the users are recognised with their respective UIDs and GIDs on the NFS server, ... BUT I cannot see any files in those folders which are set to mode 700 (drwx------), for example Documents or Desktop etc etc. If I am recognised by the NFS server as myself and user to user mapping is used (with the only exception being root), then why would the group and world privileges ha...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe...

Can't see hard drive/can't boot.
Using an Intel Mac with 2gb ram with updated Leopard. When starting up, the hard drive does its usual whine, then stops, and starts again. I get the Apple logo on the grey background. But it refuses to go further. Just does this over and over. Its like its hitting some block on the startup. So I take that hard drive and try it on another Mac. It sees it perfectly. I try some utilities to test it - tests 100%. It behaves perfectly. Then I take the 2nd hard drive I use all the time on that system (firewire) and plug it into the other Mac. Its invisible. Nothing in the Finder. ...

Eudora can't write to file so can't start
I start Eudora. I get the mailbox In has been changed and is different from the table of contents error. I click rebuild. I get the error message saying can'r open file eudora\attachablah-blah (loads of sgquiggle charcters I can't recreate). I click ok and get an unhandled exception error. Then I get the illegal operation closing down error. then we cycle endlessly though it. I can't get Eudora started and would be grateful for ideas. Thanks in advance, BB Big Bill <kruse@cityscape.co.uk> wrote in news:qhedk0lpmnjgkd9hnia5q82cqfbccnfrfl@4ax.com: > I star...

Samba clients can't see partitions mounted via loop device from image files
Is there something special about filesystems mounted via the loop device, which prevents Samba from sharing them? I have a small LAN with several PCs on it. It has a few Windows machines, and a Linux machine running Mandrake 10 (kernel 2.6.3), which shares out its root ("/") read-only as "c". (Temporarily, for testing, it is shared with full write permissions, which I know is terrible.) On the Mandrake (er, Mandriva) Linux box, I have image files from a few small hard disk drives. While logged on as root, I've mounted partitions on two of those image files, via the...

Added some debugging stuff under net/ipv4, I can see the new function in System.map file, I can't see that under /proc/ksyms once I loaded new kernel, why?
Added some debugging stuff under net/ipv4, I can see the new function name in System.map file, I can't see that under /proc/ksyms once I loaded new kernel, why?. All the symbols in System.map file should be under /proc/ksyms right, Is there any configuration I have to do. Thanks. ...

Can you see why I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundError here? I can't see it :<
I'm going through the HeadFirt EJB book, and I stuck on one example. :< The code is here (simple example used to illustrate simple ejb creation/usage, but my example has that commented out). import javax.naming.*; import java.rmi.*; import javax.rmi.*; import headfirst.*; import javax.ejb.*; public class AdviceClient{ public static void main( String[] args ){ System.err.println( "BEG" ); //new AdviceClient().go(); System.err.println( "END" ); } public void go(){ try{ Context ic = new InitialContext(); Object o = ic.lookup( "Advisor" ); ...

Need Advice: Can't get crashed HD to boot as slave so I can see if any files can be recovered.
80 gig WD HD crashed on E macnine. Drive had 6 partitions. Tried recovery software x4 which fully installed but boot up stops and I always get "disk read error". Talked with e machine tech in live chat, we retried recovery disks, chkdsk said there was 1 partition and we both suspect a trashed MBR which we failed to recover. I don't want to format the drive because I have many files I want to recover if possible, the most important are health information files concerning leukemia. Purchased a WD 120 gig HD and installed XP with recovery discs. Computer is up and runn...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

Can't see file I'm trying to import
I apologize if this is the wrong group � I'm never sure. :-/ I want to export a file from an OSX recipe management app (MacGourmet) and import it into an OS 9 app (MasterCook for Mac). I have exported it from MacGourmet in the correct format and it shows on my desktop. When I go into MasterCook and attempt to import it, I can't see it! Navigating my way to Desktop, the only items that show are disks and folders, no documents. If I open a folder which contains documents, those documents show. So I thought if I put the exported file into that folder it would show up. No di...

Web resources about - can't see XP files in mount_smbfs mount - comp.unix.bsd.freebsd

Mount smb shares on login [Archive] - MacRumors Forums
[Archive] Mount smb shares on login Mac Programming

Phil Windley's Technometria - Setting Up a Linux Server
Phil Windley's Technometria Organizations Get the IT They Deserve Technometria Home Why Technometria? RSS Atom Podcast Archive My G+ Profile ...

The freebsd-current March 2015 Archive by subject
March 2015 Archives by subject Messages sorted by: [ thread ] [ author ] [ date ] More info on this list... Starting: Sun Mar 1 00:36:06 UTC ...

The Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archive by subject
Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archives by subject from Sat Dec 1 02:42:44 GMT 2007 to Mon Dec 31 21:35:12 GMT 2007

The Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archive by author
Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archives by author from Sat Dec 1 02:42:44 GMT 2007 to Mon Dec 31 21:35:12 GMT 2007

The Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archive by date
Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archives by date from Sat Dec 1 02:42:44 GMT 2007 to Mon Dec 31 21:35:12 GMT 2007

The Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archive by thread
Full-Disclosure December 2007 Archives by thread from Sat Dec 1 02:42:44 GMT 2007 to Mon Dec 31 21:35:12 GMT 2007