Unable to mount the samba share of FreeBSD on a windows domain Controller,i.e. in Active Directory users and computers

hi all,
         I am  Ravirocky, and have few doubts regarding  the FreeBSD(I
am running this as a firewall i.e.5.0 version)  My doubt is  I have
configured samba share, on the bsd system

 i.e in the file /usr/local/etc/smb.conf     I have specified
everything correctly,the samba share is in the second hard disk.  and
 I have specified  the mount point as  /backup.   Everything were fine
before.

   Like i have one windows m/c running as Domain Controller, there in
Active Directory users and computers,I  double click on any user, and
select profile  and   took   H:  as parameter and  selected the path
\\firebsd\username,   here username is already the created share on
the samba server....
 I was able to map this folder for the  user name that exists in the
active directory before.

   Now as i have created a new share in the samba server that is for
example,  prem,chaya, now i need to map this share on the  domain
users, prem and chaya,  so if i go to (windows m/c) active directory
users and computers and double on the user prem and select the profile
tab, so i have chosen different alphabets(like A-Z)  and tried to map
the path  \\firebsd\prem.  here i get an error saying that,

 error: the \\firebsd\prem home directory was not created because it
already exists. you might want to select a different name, or make
sure that the user has full access privileges to the existing one.

but one thing strange is in entire network u can see the samba share
that is \\firebsd\prem only thing is i couldnt map this share,  but
this i have done for the older shares which are existing on the samba
server..

   Regarding privileges of the user on  Freebsd system goes like this,
 under /backup/prem,
 prem is the directory,  it has  drwxrwxr-x   27 root  wheel  512
date  month  prem
/backup/ is the  mount point given at the samba configuration file...

 but at first instant the user prem was not in the wheel group but
others  were.  I added prem to wheel group and administrator group  by
editing  the /etc/groups  file.

 This were the privileges other users also had,  they were able to
succesfully map the shares.
how come this user prem was not able to ?  ............         I need
help regarding  this matter, if any one have answer for this please
respond if u know the suitable answer..........

   Here firebsd is the  freebsd's  systems name,  and i'll give you
the  configuration of the smb.conf file
            "/usr/local/etc/smb.conf"

 [global]
               Workgroup =  <domainname>
               Server string = Samba server
               Security         = server
               password server =  <(systemname..of
windows).domainname.com>
               encrypt passwords = yes
               socket options  = TCP_NODELAY

 [hemanth]
                comment = share folder of hemanth
                path = /backup/hemanth
          valid users = hemanth  administrator
               public  = no
               writable = yes

   here hemanth is the user in domain of windows and i have
succesfully mapped the samba share \\firebsd\hemanth for that user in
windows............
 now i need to map \\firebsd\prem and \\firebsd\chaya       in windows
 how do i do that ...

           Hope my question is clear now .........

              Thanks for all........

               Ravirocky.
0
ravirocky78
2/17/2004 12:13:27 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd 391 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

ravirocky wrote:

> [...]
> the  configuration of the smb.conf file
>             "/usr/local/etc/smb.conf"
>
>  [global]
>                Workgroup =  <domainname>
>                Server string = Samba server
>                Security         = server
>                password server =  <(systemname..of
> windows).domainname.com>
>                encrypt passwords = yes
>                socket options  = TCP_NODELAY
>
>  [hemanth]
>                 comment = share folder of hemanth
>                 path = /backup/hemanth
>           valid users = hemanth  administrator
>                public  = no
>                writable = yes
>
>    here hemanth is the user in domain of windows and i have
> succesfully mapped the samba share \\firebsd\hemanth for that user in
> windows............
>  now i need to map \\firebsd\prem and \\firebsd\chaya       in windows

How about just mounting your 2nd drive as /home or make the user home dirs
on /backup.
Then just activate the [homes] share in samba.

Paradise.
0
Paradise
2/17/2004 9:21:35 PM
Paradise <Paradise@ml75.nl> wrote in message news:<c0ttev$3g1$1@reader11.wxs.nl>...
> [...]
> > windows).domainname.com>
> >                encrypt passwords = yes
> >                socket options  = TCP_NODELAY
> >
> >  [hemanth]
> >                 comment = share folder of hemanth
> >                 path = /backup/hemanth
> >           valid users = hemanth  administrator
> >                public  = no
> >                writable = yes
> >
> >    here hemanth is the user in domain of windows and i have
> > succesfully mapped the samba share \\firebsd\hemanth for that user in
> > windows............
> >  now i need to map \\firebsd\prem and \\firebsd\chaya       in windows
> >  how do i do that ...
> >
> >            Hope my question is clear now .........
> >

> >               Thanks for all........
> >

> >                Ravirocky.
>
> How about just mounting your 2nd drive as /home or make the user home dirs
> on /backup.
> Then just activate the [homes] share in samba.

 Thanks Paradise...

     As i have said that, the second drive inserted in the  BSD system
is  /backup the mountpoint  and  i have  already made the user home
dirs  on /backup as /backup/chaya and /backup/prem  and i have also
given chmod 777 for that directories...

     As u have said that activate the shares on samba, how that is
done and what is the command for it..  as i have tried with  smb
restart and service samba restart and service smb restart nothing
works here.....

      Nothing is concerned with the access permissions...

    Thanks for your suggestions.. if any progress on this issue then
intimate me..
    Anyone knowing this issue please I need help

 Thanks to all,

   RAVIROCKY...
0
ravirocky78
2/19/2004 1:35:02 PM
>      As i have said that, the second drive inserted in the  BSD system
> is  /backup the mountpoint  and  i have  already made the user home
> dirs  on /backup as /backup/chaya and /backup/prem  and i have also
> given chmod 777 for that directories...
>
>      As u have said that activate the shares on samba, how that is
> done and what is the command for it..  as i have tried with  smb
> restart and service samba restart and service smb restart nothing
> works here.....
>
>       Nothing is concerned with the access permissions...
>
>     Thanks for your suggestions.. if any progress on this issue then
> intimate me..
>     Anyone knowing this issue please I need help

I am assuming you have opened the ports for SMB through your firewall on the
BSD box?  If you have a firewall installed none of the SMB traffic will flow
correctly.

Also try the SMBSTATUS utility, and the others to see if the BSD box can
reach the SMB shares on the Windows machines.

0
AP200
2/21/2004 5:37:04 AM
"AP200" <dumbass@keepthespam.com> wrote in message news:<48CZb.54522$jH.349689@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> >      As i have said that, the second drive inserted in the  BSD system
> > is  /backup the mountpoint  and  i have  already made the user home
> > dirs  on /backup as /backup/chaya and /backup/prem  and i have also
> > given chmod 777 for that directories...
> >
> >      As u have said that activate the shares on samba, how that is
> > done and what is the command for it..  as i have tried with  smb
> > restart and service samba restart and service smb restart nothing
> > works here.....
> >
> >       Nothing is concerned with the access permissions...
> >
> >     Thanks for your suggestions.. if any progress on this issue then
> > intimate me..
> >     Anyone knowing this issue please I need help
> >

> I am assuming you have opened the ports for SMB through your firewall on the
> BSD box?  If you have a firewall installed none of the SMB traffic will flow
> correctly.
>
> Also try the SMBSTATUS utility, and the others to see if the BSD box can
> reach the SMB shares on the Windows machines.

     HI man and thanks, for ur suggestions,  See this samba shares are
behind the firewall, nothing to worry of firewall,  as i can access
the samba shares at the user end well. but only thing i'm not able to
do is, i couldnt mount the corresponding share of that user in Active
Directory users and computers......

  did u get my question, thats  for ex:  \\firebsd\<username> i cant
map the drive in windows domain controller..

   any how thanks for concern.

   ravirocky
0
ravirocky78