111 	ignat...@cs.uni-bonn.de

From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about

From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.bsdi.misc/about

320 	s....@thales-is.com.hk
303 	mkh...@ostecs.com
302 	han...@neemijncomputer.nl
301 	dan...@benzedrine.cx
300 	daveuhr...@yahoo.com
293 	some...@somewhere.com
--
Member - Liberal International	This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!
http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee
Hey! Hey! Ho! Ho! Lying Stephen Harper has got to go!  Hey! Hey! Ho! Ho!
0
doctor
3/31/2010 12:22:51 PM
comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc 710 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Running a BSD script without BSD?
Here's the deal. I downloaded an image of the Freesbie distribution for USB Pen Drives, and the .sh script that goes along with it. The site is here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.freesbie/1061 I figured I'd run the script under cygwin, and everything would be hunky -dory. However, the script doesn't seem to like my mount point for the pen drive in cygwin, even though it's been mapped correctly from F:. Somebody suggested to me that the script can be run only from within FreeBSD (which is kinda stupid if you're trying to get FBSD up and running in the first place). Ideas or suggestions? In article <NNVre.4745$NX4.4645@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, John Hokanson Jr. <johnhokansonNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote: > > >Here's the deal. I downloaded an image of the Freesbie distribution for >USB Pen Drives, and the .sh script that goes along with it. The site is >here: > >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.freesbie/1061 > >I figured I'd run the script under cygwin, and everything would be hunky >-dory. However, the script doesn't seem to like my mount point for the >pen drive in cygwin, even though it's been mapped correctly from F:. > >Somebody suggested to me that the script can be run only from within >FreeBSD (which is kinda stupid if you're trying to get FBSD up and >running in the first place). > >Ideas o...

BSD!!
Usenet lives! Usenet Rules!! From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Archive Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1995 6 584 928 905 1596 1476 1796 1273 950 1277 1946 1996 1720 1463 1159 1927 1886 2008 2189 1566 1877 2007 1396 1635 1997 1627 1500 1853 1868 2047 1718 1483 1295 1426 1590 1790 2523 1998 2382 1665 2102 1985 1798 1992 3237 2242 2714 2368 2163 2246 1999 2369 2520 3041 3305 2969 2877 4043 3141 3073 2585 3102 2639 2000 2623 ...

[News] Experiences with BSD, China Loves (to Exploit) BSD Code

multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions
Hi All, Just couple of questions please: -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial) that will let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions that are on the same hard drive? -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever partition) from a boot floppy? -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive? Thanks SLloyd <comorosislands@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > Just couple of questions please: > > -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial) > that will > let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from > partitions that are > on the same hard drive? extipl. It's in the ports. > -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever > partition) from a boot floppy? Yes. > -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive? Yes. By the way... It's neither "Free BSD" nor "Free BSD", but "FreeBSD". Martin -- "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't Be caught in a commonplace way. Do all that you know, and try all that you don't; Not a chance must be wasted to-day!" On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:01:48 -0700, SLloyd <comorosislands@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > Just couple of questions please...

[Nice Video] BSD v. GPL aka not the sequel to "BSD is Dying"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8073195220998636516 "BSD vs GPL is a sweeping epic, focused on the dichotomy between good and evil. It peers inside the hearts and minds of the creators of these movements and dissects their battle for world domination. No common documentary will dare to follow the path that BSD vs GPL blazes. This presentation was given by Jason Dixon at the NYC BSD Conference at Columbia University on October 11, 2008." regards, alexander. -- http://gng.z505.com/index.htm (GNG is a derecursive recursive derecursion which pwns GNU since it can be infinitely looped as GNGNGNGNG...NGNGNG... and can be said backwards too, whereas GNU cannot.) ...

BSD Pirates ;)
Everytime micoshaft, appil and other members of the BSA make proud speeches of software piracy, wouldn't it be good to smack them down with some troll they can't get out of? Well.... Call them.... BSD Pirates ;) What a stinker! 7 wrote: > Everytime micoshaft, appil and other members of the BSA make > proud speeches of software piracy, wouldn't it be good to > smack them down with some troll they can't get out of? > Well.... > Call them.... > BSD Pirates ;) > What a stinker! What a retard. -- Black Dragon I own my own body, but I sha...

new bsd and unix-related project
I introduce new UNIX-related resource in the net http://unix-news.blogspot.com You are welcome to join. Please e-mail me any suggestions. Alexander wrote: > I introduce new UNIX-related resource in the net > http://unix-news.blogspot.com > > You are welcome to join. Please e-mail me any suggestions. > Hmm... Linux or Unix? -- Us http://www.sweet-sorrow.com http://www.firestartersmc.com ----- All trespassers will be shot, survivers will be shot again. Remove the bizzare part of address to reply by e-mail. Begin <1161253419.966686.27440@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> On 2006-10-19, Alexander <pubkey2@gmail.com> wrote: > I introduce new UNIX-related resource in the net [snip] > You are welcome to join. Please e-mail me any suggestions. You know, starting something to pull in advertising revenue is all good and well, but you might address something your audience will ask themselves: What is in it for the product^Wviewers? How is a website a better place to discuss than USENET? You're pretty vague what this ``resource'' is all about, so it's entirely unclear why I would want to even go take a look. In fact, leaving aside poor language skills, your multiposting and asking for email is pretty bad USENET etiquette. Why would I even want to spend time on your site in the unlikely event that someone gets suckered into ``contributing'' something worthwhile? It is not apparent you...

From Linux to BSD
I've been running Linux for quite a number of years (actually started about the time kernel version 0.93 appeared). A few months ago I installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a spare machine. I'm very impressed with the system, for many reasons: the clear separation between base and ports, very good documentation, easy to upgrade and install software, excellent security, etc. FreeBSD (in fact all the BSD's AFAIK) have a more logical system design, and seems to encapsulate a much more "top-down" approach. Compare this to Linux systems, which (these days at least) give the impression of a system bolted together from many different parts (which is indeed the case). This is not necessarily bad, just different (many people prefer this "anarchic" way of doing things). It's my impression also that *on* *average* the general BSD community, certainly on Usenet, has a far better signal to noise ratio than that of the Linux community, and reminds me very much of the early days of Linux. With these points in mind, I'm now seriously considering installing FreeBSD on my main desktop machine, which currently has Debian Linux installed (there's a small chance I may convert it to a dual-boot BSD-Linux system, but FreeBSD will be the primary OS). As far as compatibility is concerned, I've run FreeSBIE 1.1 on my desktop without any problems. My main usage will be as a development platform (mainly in C, some lisp). I don't us...

bsd indent
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030801070007040906030505 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I grabbed the patched BSD indent from a mirror. Here's a couple of points: .. with a little trial and error GNU indent 2.2.9 actually did quite a reasonable job for me last night. But I guess YMMV. I'm curious to know what nasty mangling it does. .. the file is a compressed tar file - it would be better to have a file extension of .tgz or .tar.gz instead of just .gz, so that this is apparent. ...

BSD license
Hi, This is a trivial question, and the answer seems obvious (to me at least). However, I thought it would be worth checking. I am wanting to license some software I wrote at home using the BSD license. The template I have for the license includes a space to enter the name of the organisation. Now, since I wrote the software at home, and don't have an organisation as such, I guess it is OK to just delete this part of the license, and reword the sentence so it is still gramatically correct. However, I know that minor, seemingly innocent changes, can sometimes have legal implica...

We are BSD Evangelists
USenet live or the internet does!! FRom http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Top posters This month 8 lguse...@be-well.ilk.org 5 secret...@lxny.org 4 torsten.eichsta...@fernuni-hagen.de 4 keram...@ceid.upatras.gr 4 k...@see.my.sig 3 a...@acampbell.org.uk 3 usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid 3 johannes falcone 3 news0...@eager.cx 3 vs...@quadium.net All time 4984 j...@uriah.heep.sax.de 3055 ste...@eircom.net 2478 ta...@lpthe.jussieu.fr 1938 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it 1929 dmmil...@cvzoom.net 1658 j...@freebsd.org 1485 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it.invalid 1383 m...@privacy.net 1355 ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu 1188 old...@home.com -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 amnd 53 on Atheism B.C. do not condemn your province - vote Liberal! freebsd seems less suck than solaris redhat debian ubuntu and centos and scienfitic and windows go freebsd!! In article <0a5e3cc9-74a2-436e-9ef4-17bc584eec80@googlegroups.com>, johannes falcone <visphatesjava@gmail.com> wrote: >freebsd seems less suck than solaris redhat debian ubuntu and centos and scienfitic and windows > >go freebsd!! Right on!! -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God,Queen and...

HPGCC for *BSD

Forbes and BSD
HOLY BAT SMOKES. Forbes relied on a story from a guy from BSD. This Open Source reviewer bascially calls BSD garbage because of all the bugs. http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/05/24/2153257.shtml?tid=8 BSD Review: FreeBSD 5.4 Tuesday May 31, 2005 (07:00 PM GMT) By: Jem Matzan I gonna change the name of BSD to Buggy Software Development On 17 Jun 2005 08:27:39 -0700, tab assert()ed: > I gonna change the name of BSD to Buggy Software Development What bugs are you referring to? -- Linux 2.4.22-1.2199.4.legacy.nptl athlon GNU/Linux 11:10:00 up 15 days, 14:46, 5 users, load average: 0.0...

Linux to *BSD
Hello everyone, I'm a happy Linux user and I'm using both Debian and Slackware, Slackware being my fave distribution. I'm getting curious about *BSD and I must admit I never tried any before. What do you guys think I will gain from switching from Linux to *BSD? Is it any faster than Linux? Do you see any other advantages? And finally, which *BSD would you recommend for a x86 user like myself : Free, Open or Net? Thanks for your time. -- Good night to spend with family, but avoid arguments with your mate's new lover. On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:57:14 +0100,...

BSD as firewall
Hi there, I have an issue when using a BSD running Packet Filter as firewall. The problem is at the MTU setting. My ADSL router has a MTU of 1492 (which is also the maximum value accepted by the router) It is linked to my BSD firewall at interface rl0 (rl0 MTU is 1492) The fxp0 interface of the FW is linked to my LAN (fxp0 MTU is 1492) On the LAN there are only computers and one Netlink Access Point. So far my LAN has no problem for internet, but if I use things like File Tranfer in PCAnywhere, it doesn't work. I have error messages in my /var/log/messages: fxp0: discard...

BSD or die!!
Usenet lives or the Internet dies! From http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/about Top posters This month 6 secret...@lxny.org 4 garb...@crcomp.net 2 b...@www.zefox.net 2 t...@loft.tnolan.com 2 aa...@baugher.biz 1 stry...@telenet.be.invalid 1 pointede...@web.de 1 stua...@4gh.net 1 in.has...@gmail.com 1 c.to...@deadspam.com All time 4984 j...@uriah.heep.sax.de 3054 ste...@eircom.net 2477 ta...@lpthe.jussieu.fr 1938 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it 1929 dmmil...@cvzoom.net 1658 j...@freebsd.org 1485 read_the_...@do.not.spam.it.invalid 1383 m...@privacy.net 1355 ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu 1188 old...@home.com -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k USA petition to dissolve the Republic and vote to disoolve it in November 2012 ...

select() and BSD
I am supposed to port a networking stack that uses non-blocking sockets to BSD compliant platform(at present, they use Qt-linux sockets) I am planning to use select() to know when the read or write descriptor is ready. However, select() is supposed to be a heavy-weight call, it may not be available in constrained enviornment such as the embedded OS used within cellphones or smaller devices. (1) So is it feasible to get callbacks for non-blocking sockets *without* using select() or poll()? (2) Is select() call compliant to BSD? Can we safely assume that all envornments that are compatible wit...

Which BSD version?
I have a vague idea that 10.1 was based on BSD 3.x, 10.2 was 4.4, and 10.3 is 5, but I'd like to get more specific information. Any pointers? Andrew aduncan@expertcity.com In article <c1b18814.0402161038.80c79a2@posting.google.com>, aduncan@expertcity.com (Andrew Duncan) wrote: > I have a vague idea that 10.1 was based on BSD 3.x, 10.2 was 4.4, and > 10.3 is 5, but I'd like to get more specific information. Any > pointers? Which BSD did you have in mind? There are several different versions. Apple specifically mentions NetBSD 5 for Panther on their web site (right on the Mac OS X features page, no less). I don't know how/if it compares to NetBSD or OpenBSD. -- Tom "Tom" Harrington Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X. Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more. See http://www.atomicbird.com/ Tom Harrington wrote: > Which BSD did you have in mind? There are several different versions. > Apple specifically mentions NetBSD 5 for Panther on their web site ^^^^^^ ^ FreeBSD, shirley? That's the name of their reference platform, and the system from which they use a lot of code in Xnu/Darwin. All of the OS Xs have been based on FreeBSD (with the exception of OS X Server 1.x, which was IIRC still 4.3BSD). -- Graham Lee I am leeg, for we are many "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would i...

[News] UNIX and BSD Still Receive Care

Apple Continues to Muck Reputation of Unix/BSD
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6046588.html ,----[ Quote ] | "An Apple Computer patch released last week doesn't completely fix a | high-profile Mac OS X flaw, leaving a toehold for cyberattacks, | experts said." `---- This is one among a long series of articles, which have hit the news in the past fortnight. It carried on ever since that Safari execution vulnerability. Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6046588.html > > ,----[ Quote ] > | "An Apple Computer patch released last week doesn't completely fix a > | high-profile...

crack for password protected zip file in unix/bsd
Hello everybody, After downloading a full mp3 zip file, i discovered it was password protected.I can still see the headers but noway to unzip the file. Is there any tool or special procedure in order to crack this file. In article <864qw3xh45.fsf@jens.thys.homeunix.org>, jthys <jthys@wanadoo.fr> writes: > > Hello everybody, > After downloading a full mp3 zip file, i discovered it was password > protected.I can still see the headers but noway to unzip the file. > Is there any tool or special procedure in order to crack this file. > Contact the author of the file for the key. -- Steve ...

[News] Networking Software Released as BSD, NetBSD Licence Changes

[News] Darwin/BSD on the iPhone Demonstrates Power of UNIX/POSIX in Devices
(Linux perspective:) Apple embeds Mac OS X in phone, set-top box ,----[ Quote ] | ...Unix-based operating systems have not proven as popular or as | successful as Linux for embedded applications, because BSD's | licensing places no obligation on users to contribute their | improvements back to the community. Thus, if Apple plans to | use Mac OS X in a range of embedded devices, it will have | to do all of its own development work. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7732079254.html On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:31:20 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > (Linux perspective:) Apple embeds M...

[News] The Real Long-term Threat to Linux are BSD, UNIX, Solaris
While Windows goes nowhere, other players mature. FreeBSD 6.2: Polished, More Stable ,----[ Quote ] | Developers on the free version of the BSD Unix operating system hope | it will help build momentum for what is arguably the most popular BSD | variant in use. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3654371 GNU/Solaris - the Free OS of the Future? ,----[ Quote ] | We'll have to wait and see what happens, but this looks a positive | step in the direction of Freedom by Sun. `---- http://www.libervis.com/article/gnu_solaris_the_free_os_of_the_future ...

Web resources about - BSD!! BSD!! BSD!! - comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc

DragonFlyBSD: DragonFly BSD
DragonFly belongs to the same class of operating systems as other BSD-derived systems and Linux. It is based on the same UNIX ideals and APIs ...

FreeBSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
as the direct descendant of BSD UNIX (many of whose original developers became FreeBSD developers), FreeBSD's internals and system APIs are UNIX-compliant. ...

Wi-Fi client vulnerability could expose Android, Linux, BSD, other systems to attacks
A serious flaw in a component that's used to authenticate clients on Wi-Fi networks could expose Android, Linux, BSD, and possibly Windows and ...

UNIX的最强分支系统 PC-BSD v1.5.1版_Unix子站_IT专家网
FreeBSD是最广泛使用的BSD系统,完全免费,但由于FreeBSD默认没有图形桌面,可以安装KDE等图形界面,但普通用户安装图形界面比较复 杂,而且平时的应用操作也需要经过学习才能掌握。 UNIX的最强分支系统 PC-BSD v1.5.1版

Mac OS X: What is BSD?
Mac OS X 10.0, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X Server 10.3 BSD is the Berkeley Standard Distribution. In the early 1980s, ...

FOSS Patents: BSD
These days, when companies announce a restructuring (or the exploration of "strategic alternatives") with respect to their patent portfolios, ...

Remove BSD license and improve readme by sindresorhus · Pull Request #694 · Modernizr/Modernizr · GitHub ...
Fixes #679 Couldn't help myself and improved the readme a little bit. No need to link to a license. Just stating that it's MIT License is enough. ...

DragonFly BSD 3.4 lands
The latest release of the BSD-derived operating system for clustered systems has improved performance thanks to work done when implementing a ...

A review of PC-BSD 10.1
In today's open source roundup: LinuxBSDos.com reviews PC-BSD 10.1. Plus: The dangers of the Less command for Linux users, and can a Redditor ...