Writing BSD code over beer

It may not be true that most BSD code was written over beer....as good
as the BSD (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD) stuff is, I doubt that those
graduate students and faculty who were the pioneers of and/or for BSD,
and hence for the internet, had any champagne.....if it was anything,
it was probably beer rather than anything expensive....

While BSD is the Champagne or the rarest of the scotches....I doubt
that the graduate students and faculty who love BSD had anything but
water.....
comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc 697 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Write long table into file problem
hi,all I have a problem in saving a table into a file, say i want to write a list of 7 numbers into file, I use the following code ------------------------------ strm = OpenWrite["~/output/test.dat"]; a = Random[ ]; temp = {{a, a, a, a, a, a, a}}; Write[strm, OutputForm[TableForm[Map[FortranForm, temp, {2}], TableSpacing -> {0, 3}]]]; Close[strm]; ------------------------------ and here is how test.dat looks like: ---------------------------------------- 0.7347723298312644 0.7347723298312644 0.7347723298312644 0.734772329831\ 2644 0.7347723298312644 ...

Re: Writing to Excel
It's a topic of great interest and there are undoubtedly a number of SUGI papers fitting the description. Browse or search from http://www.lexjansen.com/sugi/ There are lots of SAS2XL alternatives, and it depends on the SAS version as well as on which SAS products are licensed. Since tools are created/refined over time, a non-recent paper may be incomplete vis a vis today's environment. So perhaps you want to provide specifics, including but not limited to: 1. Do you have a license for SAS/Access for PC File Formats? 2. Are you just concerned with exporting data, or do you also car...

Which character coding to use for text files?
Using KDE and various editors I sometimes get a mess with character encoding (with German umlauts). What is the best way to keep the files consistent? Which encoding is best to avoid problems? Is there any central configuration (KDE,X11) apart from setting preferences in the editor? On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:55:52 +0200, Anton81 wrote: > Using KDE and various editors I sometimes get a mess with character > encoding (with German umlauts). What is the best way to keep the files > consistent? Which encoding is best to avoid problems? UTF-8 is the best, I think. It handles all known char...

Multithreaded C code on a PS3 under linux
Hi, I'm wondering if I write multithreaded C code or whatever on the PS3 using GCC or whatever, will the multiple threads make use of the 7 spu processing cores available? If not how exactly do you go about utilizing these cores through linux? Thanks so much for any help. In article <c381adf3-7a7f-4faf-81eb-602f560749b5@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, sophie_newbie <paulgeeleher@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm wondering if I write multithreaded C code or whatever on the PS3 > using GCC or whatever, will the multiple threads make use of the 7 spu > proces...

To write or not to write
Hi, Looking at getting http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/tablea_1.htm but I emailed Mesh to ask about the touch screen and writting this was the response: "Thank you for your email. Provided you do not lean on the screen whilst writing with the stylus there will be no problem." ok so if I were to write on the screen I have to keep my hand of it completly, has anyone experiece with this do I have to keep my hand of the screen and is it that difficult to write with your hand raised Cheers Olly ``the_knowledgeable_1'' asked: >Looking at getting http://www.meshcomputer...

write through cache and hit ratio
hi, anybody can tell me what is the benefit from hit ratio in write through cache case? On Jan 22, 9:47=A0am, huda <halmam...@yahoo.com> wrote: > hi, > anybody can tell me what is the benefit from hit ratio in write > through cache case? Is this a write-allocate or write-no-allocate cache? Is the cache attempting to be choerent or not? If so what protocol? On 22 =ED=E4=C7=ED=D1, 22:39, MitchAlsup <MitchAl...@aol.com> wrote: > On Jan 22, 9:47=A0am, huda <halmam...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > hi, > > anybody can tell me what is the benefit from hit ra...

Writing an image
Hi all, I was trying to hava a CGI script return an image, but it was coming back corrupted. So I tried this simple non-CGI test and still get errors: import sys image = open('pic.jpg','rb').read() sys.stdout.write(image) When I run this like "python pic.py > pic2.jpg" The resulting pic2.jpg is not identical to the original. I looked at it in a hex editor, and it seems to be identical with the original pic.jpg, except for several 0D (carraige return) characters inserted throughout the file. I tried this with Python 2.2.1 and 2.3.2. What's going on? Thanks...

does Matlab come with routines for reading and writing wav files
I noticed that people can use matlab to read wav files, manipulate the sound, and (I presume) write wav files. I cannot determine if matlab, or the signal processing toolbox come with the routines for reading and writing wav files, or if I need to obtain those routines elsewhere. Please advise. Thanks, --Joe Joseph wrote: > I noticed that people can use matlab to read wav files, manipulate > the sound, and (I presume) write wav files. > > I cannot determine if matlab, or the signal processing toolbox come > with the routines for reading and writing wav files, or if I need t...

Harddisks: Seek, Read, Write, Read, Write, Slow ?
Hi, Take these 3 concepts and then look at the implementation/performance: ( 3 Concepts for reading/writing with harddisks ) Concept 1: Seek, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Etc Results: FAST Concept 2: Seek, Write, Write, Write, Write, Write, Etc Results: FAST Concept 3: Seek, Read, Write, Read, Write, Read, Write, Results: SLOW ??? The pseudo code is like: Seek( 0 ); // offset 0 For I:=0 to FileBlocks-1 do // number of 4KB blocks in file. begin if Random(2) = 0 then Read( 4 KB ) Else Write( 4 KB ); end; The original con...

Very low writing speeds on RAID 0 with HPT374
X-post to de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd, comp.windows.misc, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage as I'm not sure what kind of problem I have. Hello, I am experiencing a very strange problem with extremely low writing speeds, and I'd be really glad if anyone had a solution for it: As I noticed a significant decrease in system performance, rendering video capture (which never was a problem before) virtually impossible, I did some benchmarks and found a ridiculous low writing speed. To exclude software problems, I did a clean new install; the following results were collected with only ...

P-code interpreter
Hi Does anyone know if there is already some valid interpreter of P-code (intermediate language for UCSD Pascal) written in C# ? Best regards, Roman <Roma.Sokolov@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1169394246.692014.308130@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > > Does anyone know if there is already some valid interpreter of P-code > (intermediate language for UCSD Pascal) written in C# ? > I don't know of an existing P-Code interpreter written in C# but I'm interested to know why you are asking. I also have some questions: Does it have to be written in C# or are yo...

to write or not to write a BLASTED device driver
I have read the Solaris DDI/DDK manual cover to cover more than once, and I am following the example source provided (pio.c to keep it simple) win sun_device_drivers.tar. I am at a point where my driver appears to be added but fails to attach. Now the part that has me irked is - I CANT see any error messages I have written out through "cmn_err()" man syslog man syslog.conf allowed me to reconfigure my /etc/syslog.conf as follows: *.alert;*.crit;*.emerg;*.err;*.warning * *.notice;*.debug * Technically all error messages /notices should appea...

Writing Textures
Hello Everyone, I want to copy the contents of the framebuffer into a texture and have it as an array of values and also save it as some sort of image file. I know that I have to use the glCopyTexImage2D function, but I don't understand how to specify the array in which the values will be stored and I don't know which function to use to write the values into an image file. When I use the GL_TEXTURE_2D as the target parameter for glCopyTexImage2D, where exactly are the texels stored? I use the glGenTextures and glBindTexture to generate a texture name and specify it as the default te...

Code Addendum 04
\ ===[ Code Addendum 04 ]============================================ \ gforth: SDL/OpenGL Graphics Part X \ =================================================================== \ File Name: sdl-1.0e.fs \ Version: 1.0e \ Author: Timothy Trussell \ Date: 05/02/2010 \ Description: SDL Interface for gforth \ Forth System: gforth-0.7.0 \ Linux System: Ubuntu v9.10 i386, kernel 2.6.31-21 \ C++ Compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1 \ =================================================================== \ SDL v1.0e Library for gforth \ =====...

Write
Hi , I want to write an array of 718 by 576 of type double, to a tiff format to a directory for example: C:\desktop\(..) how is this possible with the write function Please help for I do not understand the help matlab offers about the write function. Thanks in advance, paul Anyone? ...

advice on calling c code from matlab
Dear all, I would like to create an interface in Matlab to some C code I have. I have seen that the general recommendations coming from Matlab are to follow this process of creating mex files, a gateway function, using the right data structures (mxArray, ...), input validation and so on, all done in C, process which seemed a bit cumbersome. See 'http://cnx.org/content/m12348/latest/' for example. Now, I am in the possession of some older code which does not really bother with all that. All it does is to create a shared library and call the C functions by using Matlab's 'cal...

oExcel
Hello Group, I've searched the newsgroup but couldn't find anything on the subject. Has anyone got a sample of writing a dbf records to multiple worksheets? I have a database that has over 65,535 records that I need to write to an excel spreadsheet. But because of the Excel limitation of 65,535 rows, I have to write the records to multiple worksheets. I know I can put a counter in so that when it hits 65,000 to switch worksheets, I'm just not clear on the activesheet coding. Mack "Mack" <mbarss@shaw.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1179154401.496497.27...

write() question
Hi, I notice 2 write(..) methods in the API that can be used with RTFEditorkit: write(OutputStream, Document, int, int) and write(Writer, Document, int, int) Which one could I take best to write to a file and why? Thanks, Huub On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:37:00 +0200, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >write(OutputStream, Document, int, int) and > >write(Writer, Document, int, int) OutputStreams are for writing raw bytes. In the olden days they were also used for writing Strings out in locale default 8-bit encodin...

How To write a proc read function
I have met a question about How To write a proc read function, bellow is the explanation in 2.6.24 kernel source code. -------------------------------------------------- /* * How to be a proc read function * ------------------------------ * Prototype: * int f(char *buffer, char **start, off_t offset, * int count, int *peof, void *dat) * * Assume that the buffer is "count" bytes in size. * * If you know you have supplied all the data you *...

Write a GUI for a python script?
I am a newbie with Python. It's a great language, but I would like to be able to present a simple gui menu for some of my scripts; something better than using 'raw_input' prompts. Any recommendations for a program that will allow me to create the gui screens? Something useable in Linux. thanks. Tkinter is the GUI toolkit that comes with Python and is available on all platform without any installation effort. It is quite OK for simple things and I would recommend it for any beginner. Google for "An Introduction to Tkinter" by F. Lund. Michele Simionato wxPython...

how to write one stored procedure for a (same column )present in 20 tables
hi, i am a learner of ms -sql server 2000, i had a doubt in stored procedures suppose i have a data base having 20 tables, all the tables have a column named--DATE can we write a store procdure to find out the data ---i mean i want the data entered between two days ---- if i call the stored procedure in any one of the table i need to get the answer pls help me how to write the stored procedure satishkumar.g Do you mean calling the procedure for any one table and then getting the data from the table with a date filter? If yes, then you would need to use dynamic string and send the ta...

can't write webserver state information
I have written a webserver (CGI), using TwebModule. It is supervised by IIS (on XP). It works - responds to URL requests and responds with html pages. But... I want to write some state information to a file and I can't. I can when I call the URL from the localhost, but I run into AV problems when I call from accross the network. The errors are very definitely related to opening a file for writing. I have tried to write to the app's own folder (under IIS) and to C:\. No success. Then I read somewhere that IIS will not allow access to the local drive. So, I built a COM...

FileUtils writing to stderr
Hi there, I'm having a few issues with FileUtils writing stuff to stderr when no error has occurred. For example I might have the following simple Rakefile: require 'rake' task :clean do rm_rf 'test' end When I run rake clean 2> err In the err file I see: 'rm -rf test' I would expect this to be sent to stdout rather than err. The problem that I have is that I am trying to detect a rake failure from within ant. Rake doesn't seem to return the correct error code so I was testing for failure by detecting if anything was written t...

tk-shell interactions and return codes
I am writing a script to handle some of my backup procedures. Since my laptop is frequently out of the office I cannot schedule the backups but I can launch backup using an icon. I use two tk-generated windows, one to launch the backup (choosing full or incremental backup) and another to indicate the final result (any error messages or OK status) after completion of the backup. Since the backup takes quite a bit of time (~ 20 minutes), the process is controlled with a shell script that invokes wish at the start and at the end of the process. While backup is taking place, there is no tk-window ...

Writing cgafaq articles
I was wondering what would be the preferred way to write articles to the cgafaq. There seems to be at least two things, which the writer must decide on: - whether the writer(s) is/are addressed by 'I', 'we', or indirectly. 'I' seems to not be a good option, since it is in the spirit of wiki that there will be many writers and modifiers. 'I' and 'we' both have a sound of an opinion, rather than raw facts. - whether the reader is addressed by 'you' or indirectly. 'You' comes naturally when you want to recommend something, "you ...