How can I mount a read-only fs read-write when I am running programs on the device?

Hi All:

I am building an embedded OpenBSD PC with a compact flash card.  I have the
commands to set the compact flash card rw and ro but how will this work when
I am actually booted onto the compact flash card and using the OS?

The commands I am using are:

mount -o rw,noatime /dev/wd1a  /

and

mount -o ro /dev/wd1a  /

These commands work fine in testing since I am booted on /dev/wd0a but in my
final version I need to be able to boot off the compact flash and yet still
set it to rw when I need to update a configuration.

Any ideas on how I can do this, if at all?

Thanks,

Jim

0
Jim
1/20/2004 6:55:21 PM
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc 3191 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Jim Lambert" <jaylamb_ert@futrx.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I am building an embedded OpenBSD PC with a compact flash card.  I have
the
> commands to set the compact flash card rw and ro but how will this work
when
> I am actually booted onto the compact flash card and using the OS?

See /etc/fstab (e.g. man fstab).

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk

0
Steve
1/20/2004 7:50:27 PM
Jim Lambert <jaylamb_ert@futrx.com> wrote:
> These commands work fine in testing since I am booted on /dev/wd0a but in my
> final version I need to be able to boot off the compact flash and yet still
> set it to rw when I need to update a configuration.
>
> Any ideas on how I can do this, if at all?

change to read only:
mount -ur /filesystem

change to read/write:
mount -uw /filesystem