control LPT port (activate a LED)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a problem: I tried to control a LED light via the LPT port. I never
had a problem doing that under Win32. Now I tried to do it under FreeBSD.
But I found no way to get it working.
I already googled for it and asked some other german newsgroups.
the lastest idea was to enter
'echo 1 > /dev/lpt0'
but it always returns "device busy".

so my question is: how can I put a high-signal of one of the eight
data-lines.

Thank you,
Thomas Lindner

0
Reply Thomas 10/13/2003 5:45:28 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.unix.programmer 10664 articles. 64 followers. Post

Parallel Port LED Controlling
Hi All! I need to control LED's connected to the parallel port using delphi 6.0 But I dont know how to... Please help me. Thanx in advance.. ZLPortIO http://www.specosoft.com/en/zlportio.html On 14 Feb 2006 11:49:14 -0800, "aizly" <cipot_cheeport@yahoo.com> wrote: >I need to control LED's connected to the parallel port using delphi 6.0 ...

LPT port / Single bit control?
Hi ALL &nbsp; It is possible to control&nbsp;the 8-bit LPT port (parallel port)&nbsp;by Single bit control&nbsp;(.?? &nbsp; Regards, Steve Hi If you mean by single bit control you can always use a read modify write of the parrallel data.&nbsp; i.e if you want to modify bit 3 then you read the LPT port (8 bits) then Exclusively OR it with 8'b00001000.&nbsp; That would then flip bit 3.&nbsp; Or if you want to read a specific bit just mask it with the appropriate number etc. Craig Hi craigc, &nbsp; You are right but it always need to send the 8 bit patter...

Parallel Port LED Controlling #2
Hi All! I need to control LED's connected to the parallel port using delphi 6.0 But I dont know how to... Please help me. Thanx in advance.. aizly ...

Ports....Ports....Ports...
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to be forwarded to allow for voice? Thanx, Grumpy On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, William Harper spoketh >I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get >voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct >PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to >be forwarded...

Win Controls and control activation
It's probably me being stoopid, but --. I create a new window with menu, caption, and all. Inside this window I create my own control (a simple text edit). If the main window is activated, it activates this control in turn; menu messages are handled in my own control (which ???s me, actually). This system *breaks* whenever I call up, say, an Open dialog, and close this: my own control is not re-activated. What is the magic sequence? Should I always check in the main windows' msg loop if it's activated, and then "manually" activate my own? [Jongware] ...

port control instructions for USB port ??
can someone tell me abt the port control instructions in C language for USB port ?? what are the port addresses for UBS port ??? Plz answer , Regards, UDAYAN Some questions are answered at http://www.lvr.com/index.html . You cannot access any hardware in Win 2K/XP, only drivers or real-mode DOS. <udayan.warnekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137342245.376267.6380@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > can someone tell me abt the port control instructions in C language for > USB port ?? > what are the port addresses for UBS port ??? > ...

Can VB 6.0 control 8 data bit pins of LPT port?
Hi, I'm trying to send 8 bits to the lpt port. I'd like to use VB 6.0. Can this be done? VB can send data to a printer, but can it go as low as actually sending bits? I think VB can only send bytes. If VB can only send bytes. Can the bits in the bytes be specific? Can I send , 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 , out the 8 pins of the printer port? I want to control a 8255 PPI IC. The 8255 has 8 data bits , the Control Word. There are 16 Control Words. I got a list box for each 16 Control Word. Now how to send these bits via VB to the lpt port. thanks Ed On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 06:51:55 GMT, "...

Active FTP PORT command
Hello All, The PORT request has a parameter in the form h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2 meaning that the client is listening for connections on TCP port p1*256+p2 at IP address h1.h2.h3.h4. Where p1 and p2 numbers are coming from? Are there any ftp configuration files? Thanks, Alona In article <1169954472.299107.148130@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, allab@sympatico.ca wrote: > Hello All, > > The PORT request has a parameter in the form > > h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2 > > meaning that the client is listening for connections on TCP port > p1*256+p2 at IP address h1...

How to use control parallel port and serial port?
Could anyone please tell me what function to use for controlling parallel port and serial port? Thanks ...

control parallel port (data and control lines)
I need to control the output on the parallel port (LPT1) - Both data and control lines.&nbsp; Once the data is written (Pins2-9), I then need to&nbsp;toggle the&nbsp;Sprocket signal (PIN1) - on the parallel port. The sprocket signal is also referred to as the Data Strobe Output. The required method is as follows: 1. Lower the sprocket signal on PIN1 2. Send the data (Pins2-9) and wait 3. Raise the sprocket signal and wait. 4. Repeat. I am looking for a method to control&nbsp;the data on LPT1 pins 2-9 and then be able to toggle PIN1 - Strobe signal - without the data falling ...

Problems Reading/Writing Parallel Port Data, Status & control Registers Using In Port.vi and Out port.vi
Hi, Can anyone there help me Please with the problem. I am trying to communicate with the parallel port using my program which i have attached to the message. I am running LabVIEW 7.0 Professional with application builder. All the program does is reads and writes to the three parallel port registers. It runs FINE!!! in my computer. But when i built an executable (see attached) and tried running on a different computer (with LabVIEW Runtime engine 7.0 installed) the program does not read/write to the registers. The target PC had the parallel port in SPP mode just like mine. I can't seem to...

Active Ports
I just downloaded and ran Active Ports, and it's an interesting and free program. I'm not sure this is the right NG to ask, but I'm wondering how folks make practical use of it. Ma Ma No wrote: > I just downloaded and ran Active Ports, and it's an interesting and free > program. I'm not sure this is the right NG to ask, but I'm wondering how > folks make practical use of it. > > Ma > > All active ports is good for is seeing what's listening and what connections are established. It allows a user to see if any unsolicited trafic is comm...

active-active
Hi, thru a friend of a friend of a collegue I hear some rumors that one of 'the fathers of active-active systems' (Bill Highleyman) is looking for a new job. I'm not going to use a name here, think it's not necessary. I tried to mail him, but I got an out-of-office reply without a date of return. Does somebody have more details? Johnny On 18 Nov., 07:37, johnny37 <johnn...@mail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > thru a friend of a friend of a collegue I hear some rumors that one > of 'the fathers of active-active systems' (Bill Highleyman) is looking > for ...

Port Activity
Here's a good one for you TCP/IP guru's! We're trying to get some PLC talking with our AS/400 via TCP/IP. The problem is these PLCs don't really use normal TCP/IP. When they establish communication on port 44818, the AS/400 tries to transfer them to 50001 (for example) and communicate there. The PLCs don't understand the transfer. The solution I think is to have the accept option not transfer to another port, but to pass anything information in the buffer to the program. The question is how would I do that? I'm doing this program in RPG/ILE so that others might be...

Using a true/false case to make controls active or in-active
I'm new to LabVIEW so please forgive me for a simple question.&nbsp; I would like to have a button control on my front panel that if selected, allows input for other controls.&nbsp; If it is false, then these other controls would be disabled and grayed.&nbsp; The file below has the case structure set up showing both true and false.&nbsp; Thanks! Patty &nbsp; true false case.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/260642/1/true false case.JPG Thanks Kenny!&nbsp; I appreciate the quick response!&nbsp; I was able to create the property nodes and it works li...

Looking for SCSI-to-SATA RAID w/active-active controllers
Subject says it all! Probably need no more than 16 drive bays. Host is an HP 9000 A500 server. All the SATA controllers with redundancy I've seen have been FC controllers, and I need SCSI. Mark Landin <mark.landin@tdwilliamson.com> wrote in message news:<37rf20118dk5emivbg98vmp9pdq2d88g2g@4ax.com>... > Subject says it all! Probably need no more than 16 drive bays. Host is > an HP 9000 A500 server. All the SATA controllers with redundancy I've > seen have been FC controllers, and I need SCSI. That's going to be a hard combination to find. Most manufac...

Where Are the LPT Ports?
Hi, Here we have a new pc (XP Home Edition) without an onchip parallel port.. And we have a dos-based program that needs a Parallel Port to Print out.. And a printer: Epson FX-1170 i bought a pci - parallel card to solve this problem.. "NetMos 9805 1Port (SPP/EPP/ECP) PCI Printer Card" i used the cd within the box to install the driver. Does it seems like Everything's ok ? Well, when i try to add a new printer with printer wizard, there's no LPT ports !.. There's no documents nor a web page about the product.. i need to use lp...

Help! PIC Controlled LED Array Circuit
I am new to electronics, but a programmer by trade. I am trying to achieve a circuit of up to 100 independently controlled LED's (not segmented display modules). Ideally the circuit would be controlled by one or more PIC microcontrollers as I have a Willem II programmer. My application is artistic in nature and requires the leds to be spread out over a wide area as opposed to being in a grid formation. I have heard a lot of conflicting reports about Maxim's MAX721xx chips for this job. Some say it's the one I want, but others (including an actual Maxim tech-supporter) say it's...

problem with LPT Device (none printing) on virtual usb parallel port via port replicator
I just recently bought a laptop and it came without a LPT port so I got a USB replicator dock (it includes serial, parralel, etc.). However, it was designed to only allow for printers to connect to it and then in the printing software I would have to select a USB virtual port for the printer. I have other applications (old special CCD Camera) and devices that I want to connect to the parrallel port but the applications do not have the option to connect via Virtual USB port, only LPT1,LPT2,LPT3 or port addresses. So basically my question is: is there any application that will allow me to ...

problem with LPT Device (none printing) on virtual usb parallel port via port replicator #2
I just recently bought a laptop and it came without a LPT port so I got a USB replicator dock (it includes serial, parralel, etc.). However, it was designed to only allow for printers to connect to it and then in the printing software I would have to select a USB virtual port for the printer. I have other applications (old special CCD Camera) and devices that I want to connect to the parrallel port but the applications do not have the option to connect via Virtual USB port, only LPT1,LPT2,LPT3 or port addresses. So basically my question is: is there any application that will allow me to ...

LED DMX512 controller?
I'm looking for some guidance on what I should get for a LED lighting project for the garden and home, it needs to be changeable and re-programmable to keep up interest so for instance at Xmas be able to do the lights (altho I'll fight that impulse my partner has :D) After doing a bit of reading and talking to some folks I've been told I might consider buying a DMX512 controller - one that is programmable via software: - Daslight DVC GOLD USB/Standalone DMX Controller Saturn Titainus Control from Chamaeleon tec Rather expensive items! And I was wondering if you folks knew of a ...

Controlling the serial port
Yo yo yo, What I want to do it set pin 1 (or 2 or 3 or...) on my serial port to HI (or 1 or on, how ever you look at it), and to have that port stay like that untill I tell it to change/the program ends. Does anyone know how to do this? On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:36:36 GMT, "dark_temp" <dark_temp@hotmail.com> wrote in comp.programming: > Yo yo yo, > > What I want to do it set pin 1 (or 2 or 3 or...) on my serial port to HI (or > 1 or on, how ever you look at it), and to have that port stay like that > untill I tell it to change/the program ends. Does anyone kno...

Last Active Control
How do you return the last Active Control when the control is on a tab control? Screen.ActiveControl does not seem to work. Here's the statement that my code uses. Set ctlOld = Screen.ActiveControl The code line work when all controls are placed on the form page rather than a tab control. This code should pass the last active control to the calling module. Then the following line requests the tabindex from the control. > How do you return the last Active Control when the control is on a tab > control? Screen.ActiveControl does not seem to work. Here's the > statement tha...