Http Client Side Programming --- Any Libraries Avl.

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,
I want to write a C Program which communicates with a Http Server.
Does any one know of "any good libraries" for this purpose.
I tried seraching for lib calls using man in linux, but with little
success.

Does Standard Linux Distribution contain any Http Libraries ?.

I saw libwww.a in /usr/lib file. But i could not find man pages for any of
the functions listed in libwww.a.

if any one knows any popular Library for Http Client and Server Dev. Please
Let me know.

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ram
0
Reply vsrirama 6/3/2004 5:30:55 AM

See related articles to this posting

Take a look at cURL at http://curl.haxx.se/. Some alternatives available
  at http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html

HTH,
Roshan.

Sriram wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to write a C Program which communicates with a Http Server.
> Does any one know of "any good libraries" for this purpose.
> I tried seraching for lib calls using man in linux, but with little
> success.
>
> Does Standard Linux Distribution contain any Http Libraries ?.
>
> I saw libwww.a in /usr/lib file. But i could not find man pages for any of
> the functions listed in libwww.a.
>
> if any one knows any popular Library for Http Client and Server Dev. Please
> Let me know.
>

> Any help in this regard is appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Ram

0
Reply roshans (2) 6/3/2004 6:34:30 AM

vsrirama@rediffmail.com (Sriram) writes:

> Hi,
> I want to write a C Program which communicates with a Http Server.
> Does any one know of "any good libraries" for this purpose.
> I tried seraching for lib calls using man in linux, but with little
> success.
>
> Does Standard Linux Distribution contain any Http Libraries ?.

libcurl is a good one.

--
M�ns Rullg�rd
mru@kth.se

Sriram wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to write a C Program which communicates with a Http Server.
> Does any one know of "any good libraries" for this purpose.
> I tried seraching for lib calls using man in linux, but with little
> success.
>
> Does Standard Linux Distribution contain any Http Libraries ?.
>
> I saw libwww.a in /usr/lib file.

This is the w3c's sample implementation of what you are looking for.

> But i could not find man pages for
> any of the functions listed in libwww.a.

Look at: http://www.w3.org/Library/

0
Reply Rolf 6/3/2004 12:13:21 PM

vsrirama@rediffmail.com (Sriram) wrote in message news:<c087652b.0406022130.51181857@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I want to write a C Program which communicates with a Http Server.
> Does any one know of "any good libraries" for this purpose.
> I tried seraching for lib calls using man in linux, but with little
> success.
>
> Does Standard Linux Distribution contain any Http Libraries ?.
>
> I saw libwww.a in /usr/lib file. But i could not find man pages for any of
> the functions listed in libwww.a.
>
> if any one knows any popular Library for Http Client and Server Dev. Please
> Let me know.

I'm sure that libwww.a is something you (and anyone else on this
planet) don't want use - it's just to ugly. There are many others for
many languages, Perl has a good library and curl for non-high-permance
C leve.
0
Reply llothar 6/3/2004 2:04:18 PM
comp.unix.programmer 10672 articles. 64 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Open Client Client-Library (CS_VERSION_110) Multithreaded Programming
Hi, I am going to develog a Multithreaded Programming on a "HP-UX m3vmsa3 B.11.00 U 9000/800 178951547 unlimited-user license" operating system. Sybase provides a "sybopts.sh" helper script for UNIX makefiles. For HPUX it provides two tags: hp800 and dce_hp800. In "Open Client/Server Programmer's Supplement for UNIX" says that Client-Library version 11.1 includes a new set of libraries that provide access to Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) services that provides "Multithreaded programming support", so I guess that I must use ...

Http Client Library
Hi, I am looking for a good HttpClient library in c++ that can provide me high level api for making http requests and read the response. I did not find anything *promising* on googling. Do someone has some experience in using any of the libraries? Does anyone has some suggestions? thanks ~ Prathap Pivotsystems On Jul 11, 12:22 pm, Prathap <prathapnir...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am looking for a good HttpClient library in c++ that can provide > me high level api for making http requests and read the response. I > did not find anything *promising* on googling. Do some...

HTTP client program
hi, i have written a HTTP client to connect to my local host and retrive a static webpage on my machine. i have got rid of the syntax errors, but am not able to debug the program. if neone can plz help me out wid this, -Nachiketh Code : #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/socket.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<arpa/inet.h> #include<string.h> #define SERV_PORT 80 #define SERV_ADDR "127.0.0.1" int readn(int fd,char* msg,int maxlen) { int n=1,rc; char c; printf("reading"); for(n=1;n<maxlen;n++) { if((rc=read(fd,&c,1...

server-side http libraries?
I'm looking for a library that can handle server-side http aspects (parsing headers, doing keepalive, basic auth, etc) without relying too heavily on some underlying event engine -- I want to integrate it into an existing event framework in c/c++. Any suggestions? (searching on "http library c" is an exercise in futility). There must be some best-of-breed leader in this category, no? Or is this something I should just roll myself? Gary In article <25b5cb69-8b47-4a85-b6c2-7cca3aca3863@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, <garyjefferson123@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm...

Client side web programming
Hi, Well the trouble is that my orkut scrapbook is flooded. So I reckoned that I'd write some sort of a script to delete the 14800 or so scraps. Now the big problem is that I don't really have too much knowledge about web programming. I have a rough idea about HTTP, HTTPS, cookies etc. but I don't really know the specifics. Question 1: Orkut seems to use a cookie to keep track of who I am. How long will this cookie be valid? Supposing I login using Mozilla and then get hold of this cookie, then use my Python script and send the same cookie whilst send a "POST" request t...

Client-side java programming
I need to create a client-side/server-side application in Java that will be able to receive and send data over the Internet. In short, on the client-side the user inputs data (from a GUI) which is locally encrypted using a public key and then send it to the server. The client-side will also decrypt and display encrypted data sent from the server. The use of standard secure protocols such as SSL/TLS is out of question. I know it won't be possible to integrate that into a simple web page since I have to perform client-side operations demanding more that what HTML and javascript can handle ...

Client side network programming
I am interested in making a search engine which takes web sites iteratively, and downloads the web page or has to perform some search across the web pages. I am unsucessful to do so. My machine works through a proxy server and the internet connection is through 24 hour lease line. when ever i try the code it gives : Traceback (innermost last): File "http-getfile-urllib2.py", line 19, in ? urllib.urlretrieve(remoteaddr, localname) File "/usr/lib/python1.5/urllib.py", line 66, in urlretrieve return _urlopener.retrieve(url, filename, reporthook) File "/usr/...

HTTP client code or library
Does anyone know of any HTTP client written in COBOL (i.e., as a copybook, providing procedures one can call)? Alternatively, does anyone have knowledge about an external library offering HTTP functions which is available or common to the S/390 platform? That is, is there something similar to making EZASOKET calls from within a COBOL procedure that will give me basic GETs or POSTs, as well as simple HTTP authentication? Thanks, -- cm ...

Any recommendation for http client library?
I needed to do HTTP GET and POST requests, mostly to upload files (images). I tried Drakma and though it works well for GET requests, for POST requests it choked somewhere trying to deliver the file. Did anyone try to upload files using this or any other libs? Could you share the code? Any other library? I couldn't find a better alternative on cliki and as a Lisp newbie it's hard to decide whether I should go ahead and debug the Drakma library or look for some other lib. I use CMUCL on Debian. Any recommendations are welcome! Andrew On Feb 14, 5:39 am, "Trastabuga" <lis...

Client-side storage solutions... ? Libraries... ?
I am surprised, aside from dojo's "attempt," why I do not see more libraries or utilities written to take part of the client-side storage craze. Does anyone know of any such libraries, utilities, gadgets, widgets, whatever (I really don't care, as long as they are JavaScript-based)? -- -Lost Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding. No I am not. ...

plt-scheme client-side http?
How do I use DrScheme to download from the internet, returning the conetents in a string? mark carter wrote: > How do I use DrScheme to download from the internet, returning the > conetents in a string? http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/WebFetchingURL -- Jens Axel S�gaard Jens Axel S�gaard wrote: > mark carter wrote: >> How do I use DrScheme to download from the internet, returning the >> conetents in a string? > > http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/WebFetchingURL > Thanks. I came up with the following code on the basis of that: (require (lib "...

Net::HTTP client side sessions?
Been looking through Net::HTTP for a way to manage a session [i.e. cookies] on the client side but haven't had much luck.. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a way to [short of writing it from scratch of course] maintain a session id on the client side, i.e. I want to be able to have my script engage in a session, e.g. logs in, makes a post, etc [all stuff that requires my session is still valid].. Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:03:41AM +0900, Brez! !! wrote: > Been looking through Net::HTTP for a way to manage a sess...

is there library to for http handling on server side ?
I so far either seen only two trends. 1. http protocol implementation intertwined with other server code 2. embeded http server library wich does the serving as well as handle http I had not come across a library that seprates parsing http and other http server logic. I guess nobody needs this type of library because there already are good web server implementations out there. Also I have not seen libwww actualy being used on server side. Possible the design of libwww does not make it acceptable for server side? It seems sort of peculiar that there are scores of http server impl...

Looking for the right library for a simple HTTP client
I am trying to implement a simple client that can do the following: 1)to send the following kinds of HTTP requests and validate responses 1.1 GET 1.2 POST with application/x-www-form-urlencoded encoding 1.3 POST with multipart/form-data encoding 2)to set any number of (even duplicate) headers. For example, I may intentionally add the following Cookie: headers to a request: Cookie: id_1=v1;Domain=sample.com;Path=/ Cookie: id_1=v1;Domain=sample.com;Path=/ <--same as the one above Cookie: id_2=v1;Domain=sample.com;Path=/ 3)to set proxy cfg so requests can go through a proxy server to reach ...

Interactive Web Pages (Client Side Programming)
Hi, Group When I access some web sites, the url keeps change, for example: first page: input the username second page: input the password third page: the content you wanted I have no issue to POST the username using the "http::geturl -query" to retrieve the second page. My question is that how I can proceed with the subsequent pages. What is url parameter for the "http::geturl $url -query" for the subsequent page (in order for me to POST the password etc)? Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks & Best Regards, JR Netsys jr_netsys <jr_netsys@yahoo.com> w...

sinatra-inspired DSL for client-side HTTP
we get a ton of these little posts, but i genuinely thought someone = might find this useful (i certainly do): http://github.com/tommetge/httprb i've had to do more than my fair share of work with net/http and it = sucks. because most of us spend more time writing web apps/services = than we do consuming them in ruby, we have beautiful DSLs like sinatra = to help us. it's about time we had the same for client work. example: get 'www.google.com' # =3D> #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=3Dtrue> more complicated example (with custom headers and such)...

looking for a client-side form persistence library
Hello, is anyone aware of a client-side form persistence library? Typically implemented on top of cookies, used along the lines of "peristForm("myForm","myCookie",numDays)" or somesuch. Then the cookie can be used onLoad in order to restore the form's last content. I imagine it must be possible to iterate over the controls of the form, serialize them as a concatenated string, then persist that as a disk cookie. Thanks for any hint, Bernard. ...

Module for HTTP digest auth (client side)
Hello fellow Perl developers, I'm currently implementing a web application using Plack, and I'm using digest authentication. Providing digest auth on the server side is simple enough using Plack::Middleware::Auth::Digest, but since I'd like to test my application using Plack::Test, I need a module that implements the client side of digest auth. Also, I'd like to be able to talk to my web application using AnyEvent::HTTP, so I would have use of such a module there as well. I have tried searching CPAN and Google for "auth digest", "authen digest", "ht...

programming / protocol question about client-side caching
Hi, I'm not sure where to ask generic protocol questions (is c.p.d dead?) so please redirect me if necessary. I have an HTTP server module that does a lot of DNS SRV and A lookups for kerberos, ldap, etc. I have my own DNS client library to which I am currently adding a cache. However, I don't recall ever seeing a DNS client cache query results so I have to wonder if there's a reason. Is there any reason why a DNS client should *not* cache query results? Also, my cache can "round-robin" entries for a given name to emulate the behavior of a DNS server. But...

Forcing HTTP server to authenticate from the client side?
Is there a reliable way for a client to initiate HTTP authentication? For example, a server might allow unauthenticated access to /status to show public status info, but if it might also show user-specific status if the request is authenticated. I can think of hacks that might work, such as adding an "Authorization" header with bad info, hoping that the server will send me back a 401 Unauthorized response with a nonce, etc. so I can authorize. But that doesn't seem very good. I didn't see anything in reading RFC 2617, but maybe I missed something. In article &l...

Client side HTTP Digest Authentication using PHP
Hi, I'm trying to retrieve the contents of a URL using file_get_contents($url). The problem is that the URL is protected via *HTTP Digest Authentication*. Is there any php library that can handle all the necessary headers during the request, or do I have to do it manually ? Thanks! S�rgio Nunes On 19 May 2004 11:21:18 -0700, ssn.google@portugalmail.com (S?rgio Nunes) wrote: >I'm trying to retrieve the contents of a URL using >file_get_contents($url). The problem is that the URL is protected via >*HTTP Digest Authentication*. > >Is there any php library that can hand...

HTTP Client library
I am looking for a HTTP Client library for C++ that I can use to upload files by using the POST method to a PHP-script on my server. I am currently using QT's QHttp but I cant seem to get file uploads to work. This is the functionality I want: <form action="upload.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data"> <input type="file" name="file"> </form> Anyway, any help would be appreciated! ...

How to get error "divided by zero" in Client Library programming?
Hi, here I'm developing a client tool for Sybase 12.0, based on Sybase Client Library, with C language. I tried such sql in my tool: select test_table.col1/test_table.col1 from test_table; My the column col1 is number type and has some records with value of 0; However, sybase api didn't return any error code to me and I just fetch out less records. I tried in isql.exe, a tool shipped by sybase client. It will show data and a message "divided by zero occured". How can I detect this error in my client programming? Thanks a lot! Hello, The O...

Vancouver Lisp Users Group meeting for September
Hi all, Last month, Marc Battyani spoke about his framework for web application development. His framework generates Javascript to send updates to the server after any field on an HTML page is changed by a user and to automatically refresh fields on copies of the same data. This month's meeting will also be discussing Javascript generation but with a different twist: James Wright will be discussing the use of a lisp-based program transformer to provide continuations in Javascript for asynchronous operations in the browser. Here's the "official" meeting notice: Topic: Clien...