some questions about times function

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Dear all:
I have some questions about times.
As far as I know, times will "get process and waited-for child
process
times".
so if the child is not finish or dead, this function will cause the
deadlock, right?
appreciate your help,
miloody
0
Reply miloody (44) 12/9/2010 3:11:27 PM

See related articles to this posting

miloody wrote:

> As far as I know, times will "get process and waited-for child
> process
> times".
> so if the child is not finish or dead, this function will cause the
> deadlock, right?

No, it just means that the child time values returned by times()
do not include the times of children that have not been waited for.

--
Geoff Clare <netnews@gclare.org.uk>

0
Reply geoff31 (378) 12/13/2010 1:16:22 PM
comp.unix.programmer 10672 articles. 64 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Rexx time() function question
I know I can use the date() function to calculate and format a future date ie. today = date('Base') futureday = today + 15 futuredate = date(, futureday, 'Base') My question is, can I do something similar with the time() function? I want to add some seconds to the number of seconds since midnight and format the time. now = time('Seconds') futuresec = now + 150 futuretime = time(, futuresec, 'Seconds') I get the following error 93 +++ futuretime = time(, futuresec, 'Seconds') IRX0040I Error running TESTTHIS, line 93: Incorrect call to routine Can any...

C Program Question
I am doing the following in my C program clock_t tstart, tend; tstart = clock(); /* ................ Body of Code ............... */ tend = clock(); runtime = ((double) (tend - tstart) / (double) CLOCKS_PER_SEC); I am getting negative values for runtime. Any suggestions where I am going wrong? Thanks for the help. - R . Raj <rajeev.namboothiri@gmail.com> wrote: > I am doing the following in my C program > clock_t tstart, tend; > tstart = clock(); > /* ................ > Body of Code > ............... */ > tend = clock(); > runtime = ((double) ...

GTM External Functions Date Time Questions
Hi all, Thinking about extended DateTime functions for GTM programs. First limitation seems to be that we have days and seconds but no milliseconds in a $H variable. This isn't particularly helpful for accurate timing of functions / modules. Would a GetDateTime function be useful that returned Horolog format in [days],[second].[milliseconds]? Would you want to do this in "current locale" and also in "UTC"? For example: Log files, events recorded in UTC? Would a string DateTime format of [Century][Year][Month][Day]T[Hour]: [Min]:[Sec].[milliseconds] be useful ie: like...

Question re FUNCTION SECONDS-FROM-FORMATTED-TIME
What is supposed to happen if the content of arg-2 does not agree with the format in arg-1 ? eg. arg-1 "hhmmss" arg-2 "13:30:01" Roger "Roger While" <simrw@sim-basis.de> wrote in message news:eoj0ui$bpd$02$1@news.t-online.com... > What is supposed to happen if the content of arg-2 does not agree > with the format in arg-1 ? > eg. > arg-1 "hhmmss" > arg-2 "13:30:01" ISO/IEC 1989:200x WD 1.6, page 601, "The rules for a function may place constraints on the permissible values for arguments in order to permit mean...

Itertools question: how to call a function n times?
I want to write a function that each time it gets called, it returns a random choice of 1 to 5 words from a list of words. I can write this easily using for loops and random.choice(wordlist) and random.randint(1, 5). But I want to know how to do this using itertools, since I don't like manually doing stuff like: phrase = list() for i in random.randint(1, 5): phrase.append(random.choice(wordlist)) It just seems slow. All advice welcome. TIA Matt -- A better way of running series of SAS programs: http://tplus1.com/wilsonwiki/SasAndMakefiles Matthew Wilson a �crit ...

Easy question, please help to run a function n times
I am trying to run the function t= M/(R/n), where R is a random number generated between 15 and 25. What function do i use to run this simulation 10,000 times and calculate the mean and std error from 306. This is what i have so far M=74 n=88 No=306 R= RandomReal[{15,23}] t= M/(R/n) t = x; Do[t = M/(R/n), {10000}] Everything is working for me except how to run the simulation 10,000 times M = 74; n = 88; No = 306; R = RandomReal[{15, 23}, {10000}]; t = M/(R/n); mu = Mean[t] 348.482 No - mu -42.4819 StandardDeviation[t] 43.0218 Bob Hanlon ---- Kev...

Question on tools or functions for checking most time consuming part of code
Hello: I have a Matlab code that takes long in the first time of running, but less time in later executions. I don't know why that happened. The code contains GUI and mathematical calculations, so I would like to trace which part of the code cost most of the time and then check why it costs more in the first time run. However, I only know use tic and toc to do that, and it will be tedious to add them in all part of the code. Is there a tool or function for Matlab that can automatically trace which part of the Matlab code is the most time consuming? Any help will be appreciated. "...

Xilinx PDR flow questions
Hello, just some questions concerning the EAPR flow for Xilinx.. The examples related to the EAPR allow to access the bitstreams stored in a compact flash (SystemACE) .. Has any body any experience in moving the bitstreams to a DDR RAM initially and let the ICAP access the bitstreams from there .. ? What are the advantages and disadvantages .. Also i would like to know if there are any C functions that i can add to the processor code to print out the reconfiguration time between the switching of the bitstreams ? Thanks Quadri ...

Re: Easy question, please help to run a function n times
On 5/7/10 at 6:28 AM, kxcarmichael250@hotmail.com (Kevin) wrote: >I am trying to run the function t= M/(R/n), where R is a random >number generated between 15 and 25. What function do i use to run >this simulation 10,000 times and calculate the mean and std error >from 306. >M=74 >n=88 >No=306 >R= RandomReal[{15,23}] You do not want to use Set here. with this code, RandomReal[{15,23}] will evaluate and the result will be assigne to R. All future references to R will use this value, not a new random value. To get a new random value every time R is used ...

Re: Easy question, please help to run a function n times #2
I would use a FOR loop and collect the generated points in a preallocated vector like, M=74; n=88; T = Range[10000]; For[i=1, i<=10000, i++, R= RandomReal[{15,23}]; T[[i]]= M/(R/n); ]; myMean = Mean[T]; However, this is very much a procedural programming approach. I'm sure the Mathematica experts helping on this list can provide a more efficient approach... Joe On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Kevin <kxcarmichael250@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to run the function t= M/(R/n), where R is a random number > generated between 15 and 25. Wh...

Re: Easy question, please help to run a function n times #3
On 5/8/10 at 7:08 AM, hays.joe@gmail.com (Joe Hays) wrote: >I would use a FOR loop and collect the generated points in a >preallocated vector like, >M=74; >n=88; >T = Range[10000]; >For[i=1, i<=10000, i++, >R= RandomReal[{15,23}]; >T[[i]]= M/(R/n); >]; >myMean = Mean[T]; >However, this is very much a procedural programming approach. I'm >sure the Mathematica experts helping on this list can provide a more >efficient approach... One thing about efficiency. Doing: myMean = Mean[M/(RandomReal[{15,23}, 10000]/n)] is far m...

question on function in a function
If I have a function A.m which will be excecuted 10 times. In this function there is another function B.m How can I just excecute B.m only during the first time A.m is called? i.e. if A.m is called for the second time , B.m will not run. Thank you for any help Mike One way to do this is to use a persistent variable in A.m: function A(arg1) persistent first_call if isempty(first_call) % call function B.m here first_call = 0; % initialize so it will no longer be empty end % do rest of function A() here end Note that this mechanism will be reset if you run the clear command, e...

Question on function functions
I want to use the quad command to integrate a user defined function which takes 3 variables as inputs. Two of these variables are parameter values which will be given. I want the computer to integrate over the third variable. How do we do this in Matlab? Thanks. By the way, I used Matlab 6, r12. thanks. Onur wrote: > > > I want to use the quad command to integrate a user defined > function > which takes 3 variables as inputs. Two of these variables are > parameter values which will be given. I want the computer to > integrate over the third variable. How do we do this ...

I do it for charity: The answer to the how do I talk in polynomial time question is this is question time polynomial in talk I do how the to answer the:!?
The answer to the how do I talk in polynomial time question is this is question time polynomial in talk I do how the to answer the:!? http://meami.org 'Do it for the kids!' ...

function function question from a newbie
please forgive and be kind to this call for help. I'm trying to script a web survey and I'm not having any luck. Specifically, the survey is composed of eight questions (two will be given in the sample below) and the possible responses are: a) approve the measure b) no opinion c) object to the measure. I am trying to create a function script whereby if the user chooses (c) object, he had to elaborate on that by choosing one of four possible flavors: a) the project is not sound b) the project duplicates a previous project c) the project is not needed d) other - which gives the user ...

How can I use a Matlab function, whose inputs varies with time (real time function), in simulink
Hello I need your help I would llike to know how can I use a Matlab function, whose inputs varies with time (real time function), in simulink. Thank you in advance Hiba ...

question about functions generating functions
Hi group, I'm interested if there's another way than using eval in this situation: a code has to be generated (and compiled) at run-time. Say, to solve a sparse system of equations x=Ax+b using an iterative algorithm I might have a specific function to compute Ax+b with A, b hard-coded inside. I mean, not having a matrix A and a vector b explicitely. If A, b were known at compile-time, we'd use macros. But what if A, b have to be computed at run-time? I can construct nested lists representing a lisp function to compute Ax+b and feed it to eval. My question, are there other techniqu...

questions about functions inside a function
I want to create a list of function. Here is my code: In [9]: a = [] In [10]: for i in range(4): ....: b = lambda : i**2 ....: a.append(b) ....: ....: In [11]: for f in a: ....: f() ....: ....: 9 9 9 9 What I want is, the value of i should be bounded to the anonymous function. And the output should like this: for f in a: print f() 0 1 4 9 How to achieve this? Thanks a lot! Jeremy Sanders a �crit : > fdu.xiaojf@gmail.com wrote: > > >>What I want is, the value of i should be bounded to the anonymous >>function. And th...

Question about real-time timing simulation
I am doing real-time image processing with VHDL. But I am not quite sure how I simulate the system with an input image. Basically, an image processing system takes input data from an image source, then does some work, finally output the result. Once I have the vhdl project compiled, for the waveform timing simulation, how could I input data of a 512x512 image as a real-time environment. I don't think I should save the whole image data matrix in some embedded memory blocks. Someone told me that I can try test bench. But I have no idea about that. Can someone give a quick guide or sug...

Time Function gives Incorrect Time
Hello I have a win32 c++ application that shows a map of the world & the local time at a selected city. But for some reason the local time is all random numbers when it was showing the correct time before with my function. I changed some things so you could select 12hr or 24hr time format but I cant see why my local time is not working now. Can you help me see why the time function broke. [b]This is my application before I made the changes & the time works(is correct):[/b] http://www.mediafire.com/?nlmmzdzz3y4 - 120kb [b]And here is the latest version of the app wher...

time module question
I tend to deal with dates a lot in different formats and places... typically I'll convert them to a time tuple with strptime(), and pass them around like that before I need to write them back out. One set of time/dates I'm getting are in UTC, but the string doesn't say that specifically. So I do this.. I had expected the outcome to be offset properly (I'm EST5EDT). But I'm obviously missing something: #!/usr/bin/env python import time utc_str = '2008-05-10 03:05:00 UTC' d = time.strptime(utc_str,'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S %Z') t = time.mktime(d) print d pri...

How to apply a function to a function multiple times
Hi, I have the following code. iterater[hPrev_] := Integrate[Sqrt[1 + Derivative[1, 0][hPrev][x, t]^2], t]*v[x] h0[x_,t_]:=0 h1[x_,t_]:=iterater[h0] h2[x_,t_]:=iterater[h1] h3[x_,t_]:=iterater[h2] I want to code another function, fun[h0_,v_,n_] where n is the times "iterator" has been applied. fun[h0,v,3] should give me h3[x_,t_] defined above. fun[h0,v,4] should give me iterator[h3]. Can you show me how to do it? Thank, Peng Hi, have you tried with Nest[] command? http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/functions/Nest S. "Peng Yu" &...

Time Function gives Incorrect Time
Hello I have a win32 c++ application that shows a map of the world & the local time at a selected city. But for some reason the local time is all random numbers when it was showing the correct time before with my function. I changed some things so you could select 12hr or 24hr time format but I cant see why my local time is not working now. Can you help me see why the time function broke. [b]This is my application before I made the changes & the time works(is correct):[/b] http://www.mediafire.com/?nlmmzdzz3y4 - 120kb [b]And here is the latest version of the app wher...

19990823: General announcements. Goedel's question: if a theorem has a proof of length at most n, can we find it in time O(n^2)? Another question on what can be computed in limited time and sp
19990823: General announcements. Goedel's question: if a theorem has a proof of length at most n, can we find it in time O(n^2)? Another question on what can be computed in limited time and space. Overview of related topics from courses on algorithms, theory of computation, formal logic. Definition of composite. Definition of prime. Examples. The primality problem. Some representations of integers: decimal; binary; unary; factored. The importance of specifying the input representation. Simple algorithm for the primality problem. Time for dividing n-digit numbers. Overall time for simple al...