Can't Use "rsh ... ps ..." To Windows: cygwin not allowed, it's too slow

>From a SGI or Linux box and with a PID in hand, how do
I determine if another process is running on a Windows
box?

I am forbidden to install and use things such as cygwin
because they slow down the system.

What are my options?

Thank you,
Christopher Lusardi

0
clusardi2k (508)
5/8/2005 1:25:19 PM
comp.unix.questions 2631 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
>>From a SGI or Linux box and with a PID in hand, how do
> I determine if another process is running on a Windows
> box?

Huh?  You've written a PID on your hand and you want to know if some
other process is running on some Winders box?

I'm guessing you want to run a command on a *NIX box that will invoke a
command on a Winders box? and you're not sure how to script something
on a Winders box without a *NIX shell.  Am I close?

How you invoke a command on the Winders box is determined by what
facilities are configured and enabled on the Winders box.  Some
examples would be to use ssh, rsh, http/cgi or a custom daemon/service
on the Winders box to accept remote commands IF any of those facilities
are available. If so, you can use ssh, rsh, http or a custom client on
the *NIX box to make the remote requests.

As for scripting on the Winders side, you could install Winders
scripting (i.e. vbscript), javascript, perl... or you could write a
program.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer
Chuck Dillon wrote:
>I'm guessing you want to run a command on a *NIX box that will invoke
>command on a Winders box? and you're not sure how to script something
>on a Winders box without a *NIX shell.  Am I close?

Right on the money!

>As for scripting on the Winders side, you could install Winders
>scripting (i.e. vbscript), javascript, perl... or you could write a
>program.

vbscript and javascript should come with Internet Explorer, right?

I have a couple of books on java, is that javascript?

I can't use ssh or rsh due to conflicts with other applications. They
aren't on the machine, anymore!

Where do I go from here?

Do I have to learn tan entire scripting language? I.E.: With a PID,
how do I find out if that process is still running on a Windows
machine?

Once I have one of these scripting languages installed what do I do?

Where should I download these scripting languages if I don't have them?

                          Thank you,
                          Christopher Lusardi

0
clusardi2k (508)
5/9/2005 5:56:34 PM
clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> Chuck Dillon wrote:
>
>>I'm guessing you want to run a command on a *NIX box that will invoke

>>command on a Winders box? and you're not sure how to script something
>>on a Winders box without a *NIX shell.  Am I close?
>

> Right on the money!
>

>>As for scripting on the Winders side, you could install Winders
>>scripting (i.e. vbscript), javascript, perl... or you could write a
>>program.
>

> vbscript and javascript should come with Internet Explorer, right?
>
> I have a couple of books on java, is that javascript?
>
> I can't use ssh or rsh due to conflicts with other applications. They
> aren't on the machine, anymore!
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Do I have to learn tan entire scripting language? I.E.: With a PID,
> how do I find out if that process is still running on a Windows
> machine?
>
> Once I have one of these scripting languages installed what do I do?
>
> Where should I download these scripting languages if I don't have them?
>
>                           Thank you,
>                           Christopher Lusardi

It appears you have to solve your problem in the Winders world which
means you need to follow-up in that world, i.e. not c.u.*.

A good place to start on scripting is
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/scriptinga.asp
which is Microsoft's scripting page.  You can freely download and get
answers about their scripting tools there.

Also, google is your friend.  Using the advanced search at
groups.google.com to search the archives of *vbscript* groups should
help.  For example, try searching for pslist there and you'll find
references to sysinternals.com which offers a freeware utility for
listing processes under Winders.

As for how you connect from *NIX, the answer to that is still in the
Winders world.  Either your Winders box has to act as a server for
commands from *NIX (e.g. rshd, sshd, httpd ...) or it needs to poll
your *NIX box looking for commands to execute.

One thought on that.  As inelegant as it is, one potentially available
mechanism for remotely invoking a command from *NIX would be via a
remote print job (i.e. lpd).  You can install TCP/IP remote printing
support on your Winders box and create a remote printer on the *NIX box
that refers to it.  So you can spool a print job from *NIX to the
Winders box.  If you directed the Winders side printer device to a
named pipe you have a mechanism for transmitting commands from *NIX via
lpd to a server behind that named pipe.  Then you can write a simple
vbscript or Java program to read from the named pipe and interpret the
commands.  Again, all of the missing details are in the Winders world.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer