copy all files except dot files

Will the following sequence
cd /dest-dir
cp /source-dir/* .

copy EVERYTHING ?

But i don't want those dot files like .profile  .sh_history
to be copied across.
What command to use instead?

0
s119762 (42)
3/7/2004 6:28:06 AM
comp.unix.questions 2631 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 7 Mar 2004 06:28:06 GMT, pui ming Wong
  <s11976@net2.hkbu.edu.hk> wrote:
> Will the following sequence
> cd /dest-dir
> cp /source-dir/* .
>
> copy EVERYTHING ?
>
> But i don't want those dot files like .profile  .sh_history
> to be copied across.
> What command to use instead?

cp /source-dir/* .   will not copy dot files.

--
Incrsease your earoning poswer and gaerner profwessional resspect.
Get the Un1iversity Dewgree you have already earned.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 at 06:28 GMT, pui ming Wong wrote:
> Will the following sequence
> cd /dest-dir
> cp /source-dir/* .
>
> copy EVERYTHING ?
>
> But i don't want those dot files like .profile  .sh_history
> to be copied across.
> What command to use instead?

    That command will not normally copy dot files.

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                  http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell
    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson