SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount

Hi All:

I'm new here and I have a drastic problem:

Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten
filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but
booted from the recovery floppies using the floppy root files sytem, and
we are only able to mount /dev/hd0root as Read Only.

Great. We can LOOK at what the problem is, but we can't 'allieviate the
pressure'...

We have tried -m (not available), -o nolog,nochkpt but are unable to get
the files system to mount RW (HTFS).

We also have other valuable data we would like to get at, too. How can we
mount the drive in RW mode so we can delete some files and get going again.

Also, please, before admonishing us about old software,etc, my boss and I
walked into this situation after 3 years of the guy who set up the
system's leaving; he's been here 18 months and me a year. We're working on
a solution but aren't ready for implementation yet.

We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...
0
Trueno (110)
11/3/2006 7:53:40 PM
comp.unix.questions 2631 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hachiroku <Trueno@ae86.gts> writes:

> Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4,

> We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...

Could always take a play out of SCO's financial playbook -- sue a
bigger fish for copyright infringement and hope to god it resulted in
a settlement.  ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I'd help if I had any SCO experience.   Hope
you solve your problem.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
  <Trueno@ae86.gts> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I'm new here and I have a drastic problem:
>
> Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten
> filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but
> booted from the recovery floppies using the floppy root files sytem, and
> we are only able to mount /dev/hd0root as Read Only.
>
> Great. We can LOOK at what the problem is, but we can't 'allieviate the
> pressure'...

In addition to being full, there may be a hardware problem that prevents
mounting the hard drive read/write.
Get a larger capacity disk drive, and install the OS on it, using
a separate partition for /var or whatever else ate up all the disk
space.

--
<dark> "Hey, I'm from this project called Debian... have you heard of it?
       Your name seems to be on a bunch of our stuff."
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 19:53:40 +0000, Hachiroku wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I'm new here and I have a drastic problem:
>
> Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten
> filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but
> booted from the recovery floppies using the floppy root files sytem, and
> we are only able to mount /dev/hd0root as Read Only.
>
> Great. We can LOOK at what the problem is, but we can't 'allieviate the
> pressure'...
>
> We have tried -m (not available), -o nolog,nochkpt but are unable to get
> the files system to mount RW (HTFS).
>
> We also have other valuable data we would like to get at, too. How can we
> mount the drive in RW mode so we can delete some files and get going again.
>
> Also, please, before admonishing us about old software,etc, my boss and I
> walked into this situation after 3 years of the guy who set up the
> system's leaving; he's been here 18 months and me a year. We're working on
> a solution but aren't ready for implementation yet.
>
> We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...

Interesting solution: We just let it blow through the error messages and
got a prompt.

For osme reason this was NOT working on Friday, but worked on Monday.

So, our server is up and running because we had company info on it, but we
have off-loaded e-mail to a different facility.
0
Trueno (110)