Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6?

I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).

When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K

Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?

I'm lost.

Thanks!

jf

jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
> off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>
> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
> Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
> can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?
>
> I'm lost.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jf

Does the antique drive have *ANY* networking on its OS? Can you transfer the
data over the network, via rcp or tar over an rlogin or somehting?
0
nkadel (705)
3/1/2008 12:42:05 AM
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008, jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
>I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
>off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
>ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
>have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).

What is SCO 3.0???  Perhaps you mean Xenix something or other?

If you want to see Xenix drives on OSR 5.0.x, you need to first
run ``mkdev xenix'' to enable Xenix file systems.

>When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
>Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
>can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?

After running ``mkdev xenix'' with a full rebuild of all devices,
you then have to run ``mkdev hd'' twice, the first time to enable
the additional drive, the second time to run divvy to create
device names for the partitions in the Xenix slice (SCO is more
like FreeBSD in the way it handles disk partitioning than like
Linux).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Windows is a computer virus with a user interface!!
0
bill5504 (468)
3/1/2008 1:16:18 AM
<jfranks1970@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
> off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>
> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
> Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
> can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?
>
> I'm lost.

Boot the old machine, run:

  # dparam /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`

Shut down, insert drive into OSR506 box, see if it plays any better.

The command "stamps" the drive's partition table with the geometry being
used by the kernel on the old system.  Without such a stamp, the kernel
figures out a geometry every time it boots.  Many factors go into the
calculation, and the results can come out different on a different
machine.  If you stamp the results onto the partition table, the other
machine will no longer have to guess & calculate, it'll just use the
right geometry.

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)
3/1/2008 1:43:06 AM
jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
> off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>
> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K

Left unsaid is what type drive do you have in the 5.0.6 box?

If it is SCSI, then you've a problem as SCO booted from a SCSI drive
will not mount an IDE drive. You can boot from IDE and mount a
SCSI drive as long as the SCSI controller is configured into the
kernel (mkdev hd the first time).

If this is a SCSI vs IDE problem, then you should be able to set
the new box to boot from IDE and boot the old drive in the new
system. Then you can run mkdev hd and configure the 5.0.6 drive
into the 3.0 kernel, reboot and run divvy /dev/hd10 and
name the division for the 5.0.6 as boot, nswap, nroot, and
nu (if you have a u file system) in that order.

Until you name the file systems, you can't mount them. Divvy writes
the name of the file system in /dev on the root file system of the
booted disk where you already have root, rroot, u, and ru.

You can't use the names already used for the 3.0 disk
(root, u, etc.). Note that Open server 3.0 does not have a boot
file system. That disk will start with root and then swap and then
u (if used).  mount the 5.0.6 drive and then copy your data.

Caution: Don't run mkdev hd a second time as that is only needed to
run the commands to initialize the hard disk partition and devision
tables.  See Bela's post on stamping the drive geometry.

It would be safer to run fdisk -r /dev/rhd10 to view the partition
table. If fdisk shows you reasonable information, then carefully
run divvy /dev/hd10 to see if you can see the division table.
The 3.0 version may choke on the 5.0.6 division table. Even so, it
should be safe to use it to name a target division as naming does
not write to the division table and only creates the nodes in /dev.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
>> I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
>> off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
>> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
>> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>>
>> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
> Left unsaid is what type drive do you have in the 5.0.6 box?
>
> If it is SCSI, then you've a problem as SCO booted from a SCSI drive
> will not mount an IDE drive. You can boot from IDE and mount a
> SCSI drive as long as the SCSI controller is configured into the
> kernel (mkdev hd the first time).
>
> If this is a SCSI vs IDE problem, then you should be able to set
> the new box to boot from IDE and boot the old drive in the new
> system. Then you can run mkdev hd and configure the 5.0.6 drive
> into the 3.0 kernel, reboot and run divvy /dev/hd10 and
> name the division for the 5.0.6 as boot, nswap, nroot, and
> nu (if you have a u file system) in that order.
>
> Until you name the file systems, you can't mount them. Divvy writes
> the name of the file system in /dev on the root file system of the
> booted disk where you already have root, rroot, u, and ru.
>
> You can't use the names already used for the 3.0 disk
> (root, u, etc.). Note that Open server 3.0 does not have a boot
> file system. That disk will start with root and then swap and then
> u (if used).  mount the 5.0.6 drive and then copy your data.
>
> Caution: Don't run mkdev hd a second time as that is only needed to
> run the commands to initialize the hard disk partition and devision
> tables.  See Bela's post on stamping the drive geometry.
>
> It would be safer to run fdisk -r /dev/rhd10 to view the partition
> table. If fdisk shows you reasonable information, then carefully
> run divvy /dev/hd10 to see if you can see the division table.
> The 3.0 version may choke on the 5.0.6 division table. Even so, it
> should be safe to use it to name a target division as naming does
> not write to the division table and only creates the nodes in /dev.

Hmmm. You know......

Have you played with virtualization at all? Do you have a Linux box floating
around? While the file systems used in the SCO systems I've dealt with aren't
really readable by anyone else, it's pretty straightforward to virtualize a
licensed SCO installation, and with that running you could blow a disk image
from your old drive into a mountable disk image for your virtualization.

If you want to avoid possibly corrupting your antique drive, I'd consider
pulling this stunt with a modern RHEL or similar system. I'm doing just this
sort of stunt right now, to move good quality server iron into a usable OS and
keeping freshly installed copies of the old OS around for access to old
software and data formats.

				Nico Kadel-Garcia
0
nkadel (705)
3/1/2008 9:40:55 AM
On Feb 29, 3:52=A0pm, jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. =A0I need the data
> off the IDE drive. =A0I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>
> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
> Any ideas on how to get this to work? =A0Do I need to mkdev hd first or
> can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?

http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec6recoverdrive.html
0
pcunix (620)
3/1/2008 1:22:30 PM
Uzytkownik <jfranks1970@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci
>I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
> off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
>
> When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
>
> Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
> can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?

I don't know haw was it on SCO 3.0, but on 3.2v4.2 and 5.0.5 system don't
mount partitions - only divisions. And I'm not shure, it is posiible to use
2 disks witch the same names of divisions.?

Jerry

0
jerry8267 (5)
3/3/2008 10:50:33 AM
"jerry" wrote:

> Uzytkownik <jfranks1970@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> >I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking.  I need the data
> > off the IDE drive.  I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and
> > ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I
> > have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.).
> >
> > When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get this to work?  Do I need to mkdev hd first or
> > can I just access the filesystem directly somehow?
>
> I don't know haw was it on SCO 3.0, but on 3.2v4.2 and 5.0.5 system don't
> mount partitions - only divisions. And I'm not shure, it is posiible to use
> 2 disks witch the same names of divisions.?

Division names are not stored in the division table.  Names are
associated with divisions by the existence of device nodes in /dev with
the right major/minor numbers.  So if you add an old root drive to an
existing system (no longer the root drive), all the minor numbers will
have changed and its divisions appear "nameless".

Recent versions of `divvy` will show you the embedded filesystem names
(as written by `fsname` and/or `labelit`), and sufficiently new systems
will even have had those stamps put in automatically.  Definitely not
3.2v4.2, ODT 3.0 (which was 3.2v4.2-based), nor even OSR505.  A drive
from one of those OSes will just appear to have no names, you must
assign new ones in `divvy`.

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)
3/3/2008 6:45:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies....trying to answer everyones questions....

"What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386'    So, maybe it's
something else?

"Run # dparam /dev/...."  - When I run this command, I get "dparam:
not found"  I did a search of the system for a file called dparam and
found nothing.

"SCSI or IDE" - Both drives are IDE.  The old drive AND the new 5.0.6
drive.  I put the old drive on the secondary IDE controller as the
Master drive.

Thanks for all the ideas!  so far, no joy.  I have limited memory of
SCO setups.  I "teethed" on SCO back in the early 90's (around the
time this box was built), but I can't remember crap about it!  Thanks
again!

jf

jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:

> "What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
> but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386'    So, maybe it's
> something else?

Oooh, a mystery...

That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SCO.

Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention a
vendor or OS name?  Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.

Does the command `uname -X` work?  (probably "illegal option")

Is that the _exact_ output from `uname -a`?  Use cut & paste, not write
& type.

Does the directory /etc/perms exist?  If so, what filenames are in it?

Does the directory /etc/copyrights exist?  If so, what filenames are in
it; look inside the files, anything relevant?  Don't post whole files
unless they're real short (the system I'm looking at has 200 lines of
boring legalese).

> "Run # dparam /dev/...."  - When I run this command, I get "dparam:
> not found"  I did a search of the system for a file called dparam and
> found nothing.

That eliminates all x86 releases of SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, SCO Open
Desktop, SCO Open Server, and SCO OpenServer through 5.0.7.  Well, that
is, _if_ you did it as root.  It won't be found for a user, it's a
root-only command.

>From the version number, I think there's a very small chance this could
be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official release,
3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc.  Unlikely to be
anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)
3/5/2008 3:31:50 AM
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> "What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
>> but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386'    So, maybe it's
>> something else?
>
>Oooh, a mystery...
>
>That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SCO.
>
>Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention a
>vendor or OS name?  Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.

>>From the version number, I think there's a very small chance this could
>be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official release,
>3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
>Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc.  Unlikely to be
>anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.

Many of the early flavors of Unix had networking by default.  These systems
probably support some of the old 3COM, SMC, and/or Western Digital ISA NICS
(e.g. 3c501 (a truly horrible card), 3c503, SMC 8013, etc.).

Given that I rarely throw anything away, it's entirely possible that I have
some of these in my store room.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Our Foreign dealings are an Open Book, generally a Check Book.
    Will Rogers
0
bill5504 (468)
3/5/2008 3:58:30 AM
On Mar 4, 9:31=A0pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
> jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > "What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
> > but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386' =A0 =A0So, maybe it'=
> > something else?
>
> Oooh, a mystery...
>
> That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SCO.
>
> Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention a
> vendor or OS name? =A0Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.
>
> Does the command `uname -X` work? =A0(probably "illegal option")
>
> Is that the _exact_ output from `uname -a`? =A0Use cut & paste, not write
> & type.
>
> Does the directory /etc/perms exist? =A0If so, what filenames are in it?
>
> Does the directory /etc/copyrights exist? =A0If so, what filenames are in
> it; look inside the files, anything relevant? =A0Don't post whole files
> unless they're real short (the system I'm looking at has 200 lines of
> boring legalese).
>
> > "Run # dparam /dev/...." =A0- When I run this command, I get "dparam:
> > not found" =A0I did a search of the system for a file called dparam and
> > found nothing.
>
> That eliminates all x86 releases of SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, SCO Open
> Desktop, SCO Open Server, and SCO OpenServer through 5.0.7. =A0Well, that
> is, _if_ you did it as root. =A0It won't be found for a user, it's a
> root-only command.

> >From the version number, I think there's a very small chance this could
>
> be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official release,
> 3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
> Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc. =A0Unlikely to be
> anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.
>

> >Bela<- Hide quoted text -

Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?

I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
tape drive rails, etc)

With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.

So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?  If so, am I screwed for
trying to get the data off?

thanks again for the help!

jf
jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:31 pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
>> jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> "What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
>>> but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386'    So, maybe it's
>>> something else?
>> Oooh, a mystery...
>>
>> That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SCO.
>>
>> Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention a
>> vendor or OS name?  Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.
>>
>> Does the command `uname -X` work?  (probably "illegal option")
>>
>> Is that the _exact_ output from `uname -a`?  Use cut & paste, not write
>> & type.
>>
>> Does the directory /etc/perms exist?  If so, what filenames are in it?
>>
>> Does the directory /etc/copyrights exist?  If so, what filenames are in
>> it; look inside the files, anything relevant?  Don't post whole files
>> unless they're real short (the system I'm looking at has 200 lines of
>> boring legalese).
>>
>>> "Run # dparam /dev/...."  - When I run this command, I get "dparam:
>>> not found"  I did a search of the system for a file called dparam and
>>> found nothing.
>> That eliminates all x86 releases of SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, SCO Open
>> Desktop, SCO Open Server, and SCO OpenServer through 5.0.7.  Well, that
>> is, _if_ you did it as root.  It won't be found for a user, it's a
>> root-only command.

>> >From the version number, I think there's a very small chance this could
>>
>> be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official release,
>> 3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
>> Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc.  Unlikely to be
>> anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.
>>

>>> Bela<- Hide quoted text -
>
> Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?
>
> I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
> said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
> tape drive rails, etc)
>
> With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
> SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
> anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
> that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
>
> So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?  If so, am I screwed for
> trying to get the data off?

Screwed on trying to mount the drive on an SCO system? Maybe yes.

However, you indicate that it boots. Does it have a tape drive?
does it have networking? Either of those can be used to move
files to another machine.

Tar has been backward compatible for UNIX V since AT&T versions.
Use tar to write a tape, move the tape drive to a current
SCO box and restore the tape to the current system.

If you find that you have networking on the old box, don't try to
change the IP address. Just configure the SCO box (target box)
to the same network and get a variation of the following to
work on the old box:

cd /path_to_target_directory
tar xvf /tmp/archive.tar .  (run man tar on the old box for exact command string)
ftp ip_of_SCO_box
login as root with password
bin
cd /target_where_you_can_store_tar_archive
put archive.tar
bye

Login on the SCO box and use tar to extract the data.

Failing the above, search this group for serial transfer strategies.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
>> Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?
>>
>> I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
>> said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
>> tape drive rails, etc)
>>
>> With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
>> SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
>> anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
>> that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
>>
>> So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?  If so, am I screwed for
>> trying to get the data off?
>
>Screwed on trying to mount the drive on an SCO system? Maybe yes.
>
>However, you indicate that it boots. Does it have a tape drive?
>does it have networking? Either of those can be used to move
>files to another machine.
>
>Tar has been backward compatible for UNIX V since AT&T versions.
>Use tar to write a tape, move the tape drive to a current
>SCO box and restore the tape to the current system.

A word of warning about tar, many old versions only backed up information
on files with nothing on directories, symbolic links, FIFOs, or other non-
file entities.  Restoring from a tar backup would create new directories
with the default mode and umask values, and not have anything else.

My workaround on this was to create a cpio archive of everything except
files, then include that backup on the tar backup using something like this
(it's been a long time so my cpio options may not be correct):

find / -xdev ! -type f | cpio -oc > /nonfiles.cpio

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Politicians - card carrying members of the burglars union - like you to
remember, they can reach in your pocket with impunity. -- Ted Roberts
0
bill5504 (468)
3/5/2008 6:43:16 PM
jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mar 4, 9:31pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
> > jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > "What is SCO 3.0???" - I don't know what it's supposed to be called,
> > > but a 'uname -a' gives 'V/386 mp386 3.0e1U 3 80386'  So, maybe it's
> > > something else?
> >
> > Oooh, a mystery...
> >
> > That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SCO.
> >
> > Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention a
> > vendor or OS name?  Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.
> >
> > Does the command `uname -X` work?  (probably "illegal option")
> >
> > Is that the _exact_ output from `uname -a`?  Use cut & paste, not write
> > & type.
> >
> > Does the directory /etc/perms exist?  If so, what filenames are in it?
> >
> > Does the directory /etc/copyrights exist?  If so, what filenames are in
> > it; look inside the files, anything relevant?  Don't post whole files
> > unless they're real short (the system I'm looking at has 200 lines of
> > boring legalese).
> >
> > > "Run # dparam /dev/...."  - When I run this command, I get "dparam:
> > > not found"  I did a search of the system for a file called dparam and
> > > found nothing.
> >
> > That eliminates all x86 releases of SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, SCO Open
> > Desktop, SCO Open Server, and SCO OpenServer through 5.0.7.  Well, that
> > is, _if_ you did it as root.  It won't be found for a user, it's a
> > root-only command.

> > >From the version number, I think there's a very small chance this could
> >
> > be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official release,
> > 3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
> > Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc.  Unlikely to be
> > anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.
>
> Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?
>
> I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
> said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
> tape drive rails, etc)
>
> With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
> SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
> anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
> that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
>
> So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?

Every single possibility that I mentioned was a version of AT&T Unix.
SCO, Microport, ISC, and a bunch of others in the "System V Unix on x86"
industry all got their licenses and their initial source code from AT&T.

I was hoping to narrow it down to the specific distribution.

>                                            If so, am I screwed for
> trying to get the data off?

Most of the other possibilities would be using a fairly unmodified
System V filesystem, although they might be using 2K blocks which OSR5
doesn't like.  Or they might be using 512- or 1K bytes which it's OK
with.  You can't mount it because you haven't found the start of the
filesystem, we need to know the partitioning scheme for that, thus need
to know the OS.

None of the files I mentioned exist?

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)
3/6/2008 12:59:37 AM
On Mar 5, 6:59=A0pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
> jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Oooh, a mystery...
>
> > > That doesn't match up with any official release that I know of from SC=
O.

> > > Look at the files /etc/issue and /etc/motd: do either of these mention=
> > > vendor or OS name? =A0Show us contents _if_ they are relevant.
>
> > > Does the command `uname -X` work? =A0(probably "illegal option")
>
> > > Is that the _exact_ output from `uname -a`? =A0Use cut & paste, not wr=
ite
> > > & type.
>
> > > Does the directory /etc/perms exist? =A0If so, what filenames are in i=
t?

> > > Does the directory /etc/copyrights exist? =A0If so, what filenames are=
 in
> > > it; look inside the files, anything relevant? =A0Don't post whole file=
> > > unless they're real short (the system I'm looking at has 200 lines of
> > > boring legalese).

> > > That eliminates all x86 releases of SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, SCO Open
> > > Desktop, SCO Open Server, and SCO OpenServer through 5.0.7. =A0Well, t=
hat
> > > is, _if_ you did it as root. =A0It won't be found for a user, it's a
> > > root-only command.

> > > be an early pre-beta of SCO Unix (from before the first official relea=
se,
> > > 3.2.0); but more likely some other flavor of System V/386: Microport,
> > > Interactive Systems, straight out of AT&T / USG, etc. =A0Unlikely to b=
> > > anything Univel/Novellish, from the version number.
>
> > Ah Ha! =A0Possibly mystery solved?
>
> > I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
> > said "SCO Unix" on it. =A0Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
> > tape drive rails, etc)
>
> > With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
> > SCO. =A0But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
> > anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
> > that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
>
> > So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?
>
> Every single possibility that I mentioned was a version of AT&T Unix.
> SCO, Microport, ISC, and a bunch of others in the "System V Unix on x86"
> industry all got their licenses and their initial source code from AT&T.
>
> I was hoping to narrow it down to the specific distribution.
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0If so, am I screwed for
> > trying to get the data off?
>
> Most of the other possibilities would be using a fairly unmodified
> System V filesystem, although they might be using 2K blocks which OSR5
> doesn't like. =A0Or they might be using 512- or 1K bytes which it's OK
> with. =A0You can't mount it because you haven't found the start of the
> filesystem, we need to know the partitioning scheme for that, thus need
> to know the OS.
>
> None of the files I mentioned exist?
>

> >Bela<- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for sticking with me on this....

Of the files you mentioned, the only one that existed was  /etc/motd,
but it was empty (0 size).  /etc/issue, /etc/perms, /etc/
copyrights...all did not exist.

You were correct in that UNAME -X returned an illegal option.  Also,
man gives me nothing (just comes back to a command prompt).

Any other ideas here?

jf
jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 5, 6:59 pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
>> jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?
>>> I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
>>> said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
>>> tape drive rails, etc)
>>> With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
>>> SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
>>> anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
>>> that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
>>> So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?
>> Every single possibility that I mentioned was a version of AT&T Unix.
>> SCO, Microport, ISC, and a bunch of others in the "System V Unix on x86"
>> industry all got their licenses and their initial source code from AT&T.
>>
>> I was hoping to narrow it down to the specific distribution.
>>
>>>                                            If so, am I screwed for
>>> trying to get the data off?
>> Most of the other possibilities would be using a fairly unmodified
>> System V filesystem, although they might be using 2K blocks which OSR5
>> doesn't like.  Or they might be using 512- or 1K bytes which it's OK
>> with.  You can't mount it because you haven't found the start of the
>> filesystem, we need to know the partitioning scheme for that, thus need
>> to know the OS.
>>
>> None of the files I mentioned exist?
>>

>>> Bela<- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for sticking with me on this....
>
> Of the files you mentioned, the only one that existed was  /etc/motd,
> but it was empty (0 size).  /etc/issue, /etc/perms, /etc/
> copyrights...all did not exist.
>
> You were correct in that UNAME -X returned an illegal option.  Also,
> man gives me nothing (just comes back to a command prompt).
>
> Any other ideas here?
>
> jf

It's uname -X, not UNAME -X, unless that was a typo?

            SCO Authorized Partner
            Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
            (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
            E-mail: patubb@inreach.com
patubb (104)
3/7/2008 11:09:17 PM
jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mar 5, 6:59 pm, Bela Lubkin <fi...@armory.com> wrote:
> > jfranks1...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Ah Ha!  Possibly mystery solved?
> >
> > > I was handed this server and a box that had a hand written note that
> > > said "SCO Unix" on it.  Nothing inside really mattered (drivers, old
> > > tape drive rails, etc)
> >
> > > With that, I *assumed* (yea I know what that makes me) that it was
> > > SCO.  But, after your post and suggestions (none of which found
> > > anything like what should have been there), I did notice a copyright
> > > that comes up during the bootup: Copyright 1987 AT&T.
> >
> > > So, Could this be a version of AT&T unix?
> >
> > Every single possibility that I mentioned was a version of AT&T Unix.
> > SCO, Microport, ISC, and a bunch of others in the "System V Unix on x86"
> > industry all got their licenses and their initial source code from AT&T.
> >
> > I was hoping to narrow it down to the specific distribution.
> >
> > > If so, am I screwed for
> > > trying to get the data off?
> >
> > Most of the other possibilities would be using a fairly unmodified
> > System V filesystem, although they might be using 2K blocks which OSR5
> > doesn't like.  Or they might be using 512- or 1K bytes which it's OK
> > with.  You can't mount it because you haven't found the start of the
> > filesystem, we need to know the partitioning scheme for that, thus need
> > to know the OS.
> >
> > None of the files I mentioned exist?

> Thanks for sticking with me on this....
>
> Of the files you mentioned, the only one that existed was  /etc/motd,
> but it was empty (0 size).  /etc/issue, /etc/perms, /etc/
> copyrights...all did not exist.
>
> You were correct in that UNAME -X returned an illegal option.  Also,
> man gives me nothing (just comes back to a command prompt).
>
> Any other ideas here?

As root, run:

  # ls -lr / > /tmp/allfiles
  # compress /tmp/allfiles     # creates /tmp/allfiles.Z

Upload that file somewhere, post a message here about having done so.
Don't post the output here, it will be way too big and inappropriate for
a newsgroup posting.  (If `compress` does not exist, upload
/tmp/allfiles, which will be even bigger...)

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6
The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6. How do I know? I donno, but it feels and seems so. I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6. The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen: 255191 files were encountered 167 files were excluded 9 files were not checked because the hard disk file had been modified by a program since it was backed up 2 files were not checked for various reasons 28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.) 226143 files verified successfully Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min. To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file: [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE real 0m58.59s user 0m1.72s sys 0m10.96s And to see how many directories had to be read: [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l 23745 Bob -- Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus. Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS). On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote: > The speed of the SCO ...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio on SCO 5.0.6
Will this run on this version of SCO? Where can I find documentation to install it? Brent Bolin wrote: > Will this run on this version of SCO? I guess you mean the one at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a with gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > Where can I find documentation to install it? What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? I'd extract the VOL files from cpio archive and use custom to install them. (actually I prefer to use `scoadmin software` but YMMV). man cpio man custom Then I'd read whatever man pages are in the VOLs and/or the samba 3.0 web-site docs. Presumably all the above is known to you and I have missed your real question. If so, sorry. -- RGB On Dec 9, 9:19=A0am, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBr...@spamweary.invalid> wrote: > Brent Bolin wrote: > > Will this run on this version of SCO? > > I guess you mean the one atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/sam= ba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio > > On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a wi= th > =A0 =A0 =A0gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > > > Where can I find documentation to install it? > > What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? >...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching
Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives the wrong time. E...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

Upgrading 5.0.5 to 5.0.6/5.0.7
Hi, I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some questions: 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? 2. How easy is the upgrade? 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Thanks, Jon Jon Wynacht typed (on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:17AM -0700): | Hi, | | I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from | 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some | questions: | | 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? >From 5.0.5 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $599. >From 5.0.6 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $369. | 2. How easy is the upgrade? Not hard; be sure to use ftp.jpr.com/pub/savefiles. | 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, and when you order the upgrades, also add in SCO Update, which will eventually bring you all the changes that bring you the Legend release. -- JP Jon Wynacht wrote: > Hi, > > I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from > 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some > questions: > > 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? Of course. See http://aplawrence.com/scoprices.html > 2. How easy is the upgrade? Usually painless, but see http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/upgrades.html > 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, no questi...

HP DLT Surestore 40 Scsi 3 Tape Drive SCO 5.0.5
I had a DLT drive fail on a SCO 5.0.5 machine with a Adatec 2940 scsi card. I am trying a new DLT Surestore drive, which has a SCSI 3 interface. The old one had a scsi 2 interface. The new drive does not work, it reports that the tape is write-protected. I have installed an updated Stp Driver as supplied on the Microlite web site, and I can read tapes without any problems, but can not write any data. Has anyone else seen this. Is there a work around? Is this due to the new dlt drive only working in scsi 3 mode? If so, would a different adapter card make a difference? Why can I read but not write? Any help would be appreciated. "Cary Lewis" <cary.lewis@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5a64a2f0.0410290937.341a81eb@posting.google.com... >I had a DLT drive fail on a SCO 5.0.5 machine with a Adatec 2940 scsi > card. > > I am trying a new DLT Surestore drive, which has a SCSI 3 interface. > The old one had a scsi 2 interface. > > The new drive does not work, it reports that the tape is > write-protected. > > I have installed an updated Stp Driver as supplied on the Microlite > web site, and I can read tapes without any problems, but can not write > any data. > > Has anyone else seen this. Is there a work around? > > Is this due to the new dlt drive only working in scsi 3 mode? If so, > would a different adapter card make a difference? Why can I read but > not write? > > Any help would be appreciat...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6
I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish this is much appreciated. Regards, David On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. > >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. &g...

SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0
Hello, I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) Where can we Find one ? Regards, Ely Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote: > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) > Where can we Find one ? See: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.sco.misc/msg/9bad2852a40218aa >Bela< This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box without any BTLDs. This really helps as I can take a single laptop around with me now. Only one draw back is that it only works in single CPU mode, installing SMP causes VMWare to crash but I'm sure that will be fixed in the final build. Regards, Rob. Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) > Where can we Find one ? > > Regards, > Ely > <rob@vetsystems.com> wrote: > This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have > installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with > VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box > without any BTLDs. This is because VMware...

Samba 3.0.20 on SCO 5.0.7 with MP4
I want to be able to join the SCO server running 5.0.7 with MP4 and samba 3.0.20 to an NT domain. The problem I have is that the samba net command is not part of the install. I have searched all the filesystems and have not been able to find the samba net program, Has anyone used 3.0.20 to join an NT domain? If so did you use the net command as per the samba guide? If not then how did you do it without the samba net program. Craig Green wrote: > I want to be able to join the SCO server running 5.0.7 with MP4 and > samba 3.0.20 to an NT domain. > The problem I have is that the samba net command is not part of the > install. > I have searched all the filesystems and have not been able to find the > samba net program, > Has anyone used 3.0.20 to join an NT domain? > If so did you use the net command as per the samba guide? > If not then how did you do it without the samba net program. Found the relevant program. Its called smbnet on SCO. Still cannot join a an ADS domain. It looks like the this version of samba has been compiled without ADS support. Does anyone now if this is correct? Has anyone used this version of samba on OSR507 to join an ADS domain? ...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enl...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

visionfs access a WinNT share from SCO 5.0.6
I have tried variations of the "visionfs client" command until I'm almost blue. I have a share setup on a Maxtor terabyte NAS storage. It uses Win networking for access, so i would like to get the SCO to be an authenticate client to the share. Does anyone know step-by-steo how to get this too work? Thanks, Bob On 23 Aug, 09:29, Bob Meyers <oregon...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have tried variations of the "visionfs client" command until I'm > almost blue. Bob, An understand of what you have tried and how it has failed might help in understand what the issue is. > I have a share setup on a Maxtor terabyte NAS storage. It uses Win > networking for access, so i would like to get the SCO to be an > authenticate client to the share. > > Does anyone know step-by-steo how to get this too work? VisionFS (and OpenServer 5.0.6) are legacy products that SCO no longer supports. While it may be possible to access the NAS (if the Win networking you mention above is not "too modern") I would suggest that you consider upgrading your server to OpenServer 6, which is supported and includes Samba 3. John ----- Original Message -----=20 From: "Bob Meyers" <oregonbob@gmail.com> Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc To: <distro@jpr.com> Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:29 AM Subject: visionfs access a WinNT share from SCO 5.0.6 >I have tried variations of the "visionfs client" command until I'm...

SCO unix 5.0.6 web services setup
I need to install the "web services" deal on my unix box so that when a customer sends me requests with SOAP or XML my system accepts the call on the specific port. Is there a process to do that ? I'm currently running netscape fastract as a web server, I heard I need apache + axis , Are there other options to setup the web services ? thanks Where can I get this new Web Service from SCO ? Is it under their ftp site or I have to pay for it ? http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml;jsessionid=ERBHJ1BYLZ3IUQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=18824984&_requestid=1614593 In spite of the legal circus engulfing The SCO Group--and lingering concerns about the Unix company's future--top executives took the opportunity at the company's annual partner conference in Las Vegas to outline SCO's new Internet and Web services offerings and assert its intent to stay in business. At SCO Forum 2003, SCO announced the delivery of key component of its SCOx Web services initiative--SCOx WebFace Solution Suite 4.0--as well as the SCOsms Web Services API and SCObiz Web Services APIs. The company's SCOx direction and Web services API plans were unveiled last April. The enhanced suite and new APIs, designed to enable partners and customers to migrate legacy Unix applications to a services-oriented architecture, consists of the WebFace Browser Application Platform and WebFace Studio development platform. SCO's Web servic...

6.0.3 vs 6.0.0.22?
Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? Ta. JK <moria@castlecrab.com> wrote ... > Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in > v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. > Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? > > Ta. > > JK Check http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/6.0.3/RelNotes.txt On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:45:37 +0000, moria@castlecrab.com wrote: > Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in > v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. > Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? It's definitely worth the download/upgrade: <http://www.eudora.com/products/eudora/download/windows.html>. All changes in Eudora 6.x are detailed in the Release Notes, available at: <http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/6.0.3/RelNotes.txt>. John Gianni Bagni <SpamKiller@nospam.org> wrote: > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:45:37 +0000, moria@castlecrab.com wrote: >> Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in >> v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. >> Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? > It's definitely wor...

Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6
Hi there, I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a DAT drive. My setup is as follows:- Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110 OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6 Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External) SCSI card : Adaptec 2940UW I have bought the DAT drive and SCSI card, after I checked that they are compatible with my version of SCO OpenServer, so both should work. But, when I use the "mkdev tape" command, I run into an area that I know very little about. Could someone please guide me into what's the correct procedure for an installation. Many thanks Aaron8123 vinceranny@gmail.com wrote: > Hi there, > > I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a > DAT drive. > > My setup is as follows:- > > Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110 > OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6 > Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External) > SCSI card : Adaptec 2940UW > > I have bought the DAT drive and SCSI card, after I checked that they > are compatible with my version of SCO OpenServer, so both should work. > > But, when I use the "mkdev tape" command, I run into an area that I > know very little about. > > Could someone please guide me into what's the correct procedure for an > installation. Correct procedure? "mkdev tape", answer the questions. Now what question are you having trouble with? See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/tapes.html http://aplawrence.com/...

SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5 system/network settings
*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com *** Dear enlightened experts! Please, sorry for my bad English. I have decided to try to disturb you by my question. I have an Oracle 7.2.2.4 running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2,SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5. We tried to begin to work via SQL*Net2, SQL*Net1 currently in use and will stay on. But when Oracle session has been established, it breaks in some seconds with ORA 03113 Error "end of file on communication channel". It notices, that this is preceded with switching of port in status FIN_WAIT2 on a server side. We've obser...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

Web resources about - Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6? - comp.unix.sco.misc

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

Knee jerk reaction: Halifax man frustrated about attacks over accessible parking access
A note left on Dan Trivett's windshield Tuesday night was "the final straw" for man suffering invisible illness

You can now add a shortcut to your homescreen to quickly access weather info in the Google app
Google is rolling out a new feature that allows users to more easily access one of the most commonly searched terms. With this rollout, if a ...

Google Is Bringing Free Internet Access To Cuba
In case you haven’t been following the news recently, U.S. president Barack Obama just made a historical visit to the isolated island country, ...

FBI may be able to access San Bernadino iPhone without Apple's help
... is clearly on the correct side of the encryption-cracking battle, some have sided with the agency. I understand that people want to access the ...

DOJ says it may have a way to access locked iPhone; hearing postponed
... iPhone to postpone a hearing which was scheduled to take place tomorrow. The reason? The DOJ believe it may have discovered a way to access ...

How to access the addictive hidden Facebook game that's driving the internet insane
... has introduced a hidden basketball game in the Facebook Messenger app wherein you can compete against your friends. This is how you access the ...

​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access
​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access

63 million Nigerian people lack access to clean and safe water
As the world celebrates the World Water Day this Tuesday, an international agency Oxfam, says access to safe water and sanitation by Nigerians ...

Google is Bringing Free Wi-Fi Access to Cuba
... While Google did say that they are in the early stages of “exploring additional possibilities around increasing and improving internet access” ...