Anyone used paragon drive backup 5.5 with SCO partitions?

I was curious if anyone successfully used Paragon drive backup version
5.5 to copy and restore a SCO partition. It is a drive imaging product
similar to norton ghost. They claim it can make a restorable image of
any type of partition because it can do a sector to sector copy. It has
work well for various windows and linux partitions but not successful
for a SCO partition. Paragon recognizes it as a Unix partition and
doesn't give any errors when backing it up but when I attempt to boot
from a cloned image I get a "NO OS" message when it boots.

Thanks,
Jay

0
not67 (11)

Jay "Anonymous" wrote:

> I was curious if anyone successfully used Paragon drive backup version
> 5.5 to copy and restore a SCO partition. It is a drive imaging product
> similar to norton ghost. They claim it can make a restorable image of
> any type of partition because it can do a sector to sector copy. It has
> work well for various windows and linux partitions but not successful
> for a SCO partition. Paragon recognizes it as a Unix partition and
> doesn't give any errors when backing it up but when I attempt to boot
> from a cloned image I get a "NO OS" message when it boots.

This is due to OpenServer's dependency on the (mostly obsolete) concept
of disk geometry.  If you write the partition image to a new disk which
has the same geometry as the old (according to OpenServer, mind you)
(has to be same heads and sectors/track, total cylinders doesn't
matter); and if you write it starting on a sector number which is the
same logical sector number within a cylinder; then it will boot.  By
"same logical sector number within a cylinder" I mean: suppose the
geometry was 10 heads and 100 sectors/track.  Then each "cylinder" is
1000 sectors.  If the partition used to start on absolute disk sector
number 1234567, it started on sector 567 of cylinder 1234.  If you wrote
it to sector 34567 of a new disk (with the same geometry), it would
start on sector 567 of cylinder 34, and it would boot.  If you wrote it
to sector 34568 then it wouldn't boot.

A recently-issued supplement, the "Wd Driver Supplement", fixes this.
The supplement is so new that I think it still isn't on the web site
yet.  It is for OSR506 and 507 only (may work with 504 or 505,
untested).  It makes all stages of the boot process much less sensitive
to geometry issues.  You'll notice that "Wd Driver Supplement" is an odd
name for this -- it's just one subfeature of the supplement.  The
supplement causes some IDE drives to show up with a new geometry, thus
provoking this problem on existing systems; the fix is included, and
fixes other issues like the one you're seeing.

There is still one condition which cannot be handled.  You cannot safely
transport partition data between IDE and SCSI drives.  This is because
IDE drives have a `badtrk` table and SCSI drives have a `badblk` table,
and the two are incompatible.  (These are OSR5 software structures, not
physical drive characteristics.)

Plus, of course, if you go from one drive type to another, you'll
probably need different drivers in your kernel.

I would say that on the one hand these things are caused by OSR5; on the
other, it is an overblown claim on the part of these partition-imaging
programs that they can operate on "any type of partition".  Any type of
partition _could_ have deep dependencies on things like geometry,
location on the disk, drivers used to access the disk, etc.

This sort of drive transplant is much better handled by one of the
Unix-aware "supertar" products.  They know not only how to safely build
and copy partitions, but also how to reconfigure kernels for new disk
hardware.  (At least I think they know that...?)

>Bela<
0
belal (357)

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote in message news:49dpf.12921$kP5.4739@bignews5.bellsouth.net... >I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. > > I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box > to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( > Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Drop SCO like a sticky sneeze you got on your hand. It never *DID* work well. However, most modern Linuxes really want at least 256 Meg of RAM for handling all the widgets they come with. If you're constrained to 64 Meg, look into a microlinux that you can compile elsewhere and load up. > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will > be > database intensive? Absolutely. Anytime you run ...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It ha...

New drives added to RAID 5 (Netfinity 5500) not recognize under SCO Openserver 5.0.5.
Hi all, I never done this before but I think I'm on the right way. I have a Netfinity 5500 here running SCO openserver 5.0.5. This system run one RAID 5 array of three disks. I have add 3 more disks to this array using ipsadm(logical drive migration option-Add physical drive(s)). 2 disks have been assign "ONL" to the actual array and the other disk has been declared as "HSP"(Hot SwaP Disk). Even if it's a very long process, all step seems to go well. My problem is that before AND after "expanding" the array the SCO df -v command show me the same result...

Bbx2 on SCO Unix 5.0.5
Hi, Does anyone know how bbx2 (Business Basic Level 2 Rev. 2.6) can run on SCO Unix 5.0.5? This bbx2 was running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 pretty well. But when I moved it to another harddisk with SCO 5.x, it didn't run well. It's not a matter of a lack of files because I also tried to run the bbx2 programs from their orginal harddisk (SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 as second disk in the server PC, being SCO 5.x the first disk). When the program is running the server always hangs out with the error: "memory fault-core dumped". On the SCO 5.x, I tried to make the /root/ and /u/ filesyst...

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Anyone using Paragon Partition manager 8.5? Re-numbering partitions.
Will this application re-number partitions after creation of a new partition on the C: drive? Thanks. Previously Scomper <drummlinns@killin.edu.uk> wrote: > Will this application re-number partitions after creation of a new > partition on the C: drive? > Thanks. Unless it works differently from every other partition manager I have used, it will not. And you should never need that anyways. Under any flavour of Unix it does not matter. Under more limited OSes like XP or Vista, you can change drive letters. Arno Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote: &...

Problem using cron on SCO 5.0.5
Hi, I have a problem using cron on Compaq Proliant ML-370 O/S SCO 5.0.5.. Jobs have been scheduled for more than 20hrs. Problem is after executing the jobs for 6 to 7 hrs the cron stops functioning. I need to reboot Sco Unix in order for the cron to be started. This is a serious problem for me as i need to take databases tran's log dumps every hour, and definately its wrong way to reboot the server for cron to be started. Waiting for an answer and thanx. Regards Nitin Nitin Shinde made comment on Fri Jul 25 09:53:24 2003 : > Hi, > I have a problem using cron on Compaq Proliant ML-...

Title: Bbx2 on SCO Unix 5.0.5
Hi, Does anyone know how bbx2 (Business Basic Level 2 Rev. 2.6) can run on SCO Unix 5.0.5? This bbx2 was running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 pretty well. But when I moved it to another harddisk with SCO 5.x, it didn't run well. It's not a matter of a lack of files because I also tried to run the bbx2 programs from their orginal harddisk (SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 as second disk in the server PC, being SCO 5.x the first disk). When the program is running the server always hangs out with the error: "memory fault-core dumped". On the SCO 5.x, I tried to make the /root/ and /u...

Problem using cron on SCO 5.0.5 #2
Hi, I have a problem using cron on SCO 5.0.5.. Jobs have been scheduled for more than 20hrs. Problem is after executing the jobs for 6 to 7 hrs the cron stops functioning. I need to reboot Sco Unix in order for the cron to be started. This is a serious problem for me as i need to take databases tran's log dumps every hour, and definately its wrong way to reboot the server for cron to be started. Waiting for an answer and thanx. Regards Nitin Nitin Shinde typed (on Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 03:35:48AM -0700): | Hi, | I have a problem using cron on SCO 5.0.5.. Jobs have been scheduled | for ...

SCO 5.0.5 or higher and Serial ATA drives
Anyone been able to get SCO OpenServer to load on a Serial ATA drive as the primary (only) drive? Its a new IBM Xseries 204 server, but only has one 70Gig SATA drive in it.. would rather run SCO since this will be the 3rd server for this customer, but can find no mention of SATA support on sco's knowledge base or at IBM or Adaptech (SATA controler is intergrated on the motherboard.) The adapter bios does support RAID 0 and Raid 1, but with a min of 2 physical drives and customer is on a limited budget. Looking for any suggestions, a boot string to try.. at this point I'll take anything...

SCO OSR 5.0.5 SCSI Tape Drive Issues
I've just recently done a fresh installation of SCO OSR 3.2v5.0.5 and am having problems with my HP C1537A SCSI Tape Drive. All the hardware is new but for some reason the tape drive keeps acting up. If I go into single-user maintenance mode, the drive has no problems. As soon as I get into multi-user mode, I sometimes get this error: NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/8 offline. As-soon-as I get this though, the drive starts working nornally, otherwise it won't work at all. I've done a re-installation of my controller cards drivers and still no-go. Here's a listing of some rep...

Using same SCO Openserver Enterprise 5.0.5. on 2 computers
Can I use the same SCO Openserver licence on two computers on the same network. I want to have a computer who is simply a clone of the other so I want to put the second computer on the network and make FTP transfert between the two computers. So if my "main" computer go down I can simply switch on the other computer. Thank you! "Mike" <michel.trudel@pentagone.com> wrote in message news:ede59572.0307291001.542e0fe0@posting.google.com... > Can I use the same SCO Openserver licence on two computers on the same > network. > I want to have a computer who is sim...

Has anyone been any to compile ghostscript version 8.50 or above on sco 5.0.5
I am trying to compile ghostscript 8.5.0 under sco 5.0.5 using gcc 2.95.2 and first I got some errors about int64_t not being defined, and when I added an explict typedef to long long, now I get: gcc -DHAVE_MKSTEMP -DHAVE_HYPOT -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing -declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -fno-builtin -fno -common -DGX_COLOR_INDEX_TYPE="unsigned long long" -I./obj -I./src -o ./obj/g xhintn.o -c ./src/gxhintn.c In file included from src/gxhintn.h:23, from src/gxtype1.h:26, from ./src/gxhintn.c:31: s...

connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection
I have the following doubts can any one clear these ? 1.connecting two sco unix 5.0.5 computers through dialup connection ( using modem- like telnet connection not cu connection) 2.how to transfer files between computers ( take & put is not working for large files ) in simple methods (is it possible to use ftp over the above connection)? 3.i have read a lot of about UUCP ( installation and others ) but no where I found 'how to use it"? Please give me a step by step method ( at least Question 1 & 2 ) 3. If I am changing the os to linux which one is the best ( most similar...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site tr...

Anyone using SCO 5.0.6. on SATA?
Hi, Does anyone have success stories with SCO 5.0.6 on SATA drives? Much appreciated Marc Marc Champagne wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone have success stories with SCO 5.0.6 on SATA drives? > > Much appreciated > Marc Upgrade to 5.0.7, which has drivers for various SAS/SATA raid options. Install it fresh on the new box and move your data across the network or via compatible tape drive. HP's ML350 has SCO specific drivers for it. I've installed 2 recently with no problems. If you use 5.0.6 you will have to run the drives in the much slower legacy mode, and mult...

SCO 5.0.5 and EFS 5.60A on ML570 1st Generation
In the normal course of trouble shooting a Compaq (HP) hardware problem, HP support has suggested upgrading to EFS 5.60A. Late last year, after one problematic attempt to upgrade from 5.48A to 5.52, or 5.56, with a NOTICE: K_trap - unexpected alignment fault in system mode error, Compaq suggested reverting to 5.48A where I have remained ever since. While the problems may have been associated with a number of sources, I guess like using a G2 EFS instead of a G1, I am hesitant to upgrade now without good reason. The only non-Compaq hardware is a Digi AccelePort XEM, which does have the latest ...

SCO UNIX 3.2.4 vs SCO OS4/5 device driver compatibility
Greetings! The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI ne2000). Any advice, comments or directions would be fantastic. Regards, Stephen Spencer Lawrence, KS Stephen Spencer wrote: > The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 > system that must live a...

HP DLT Surestore 40 Scsi 3 Tape Drive SCO 5.0.5
I had a DLT drive fail on a SCO 5.0.5 machine with a Adatec 2940 scsi card. I am trying a new DLT Surestore drive, which has a SCSI 3 interface. The old one had a scsi 2 interface. The new drive does not work, it reports that the tape is write-protected. I have installed an updated Stp Driver as supplied on the Microlite web site, and I can read tapes without any problems, but can not write any data. Has anyone else seen this. Is there a work around? Is this due to the new dlt drive only working in scsi 3 mode? If so, would a different adapter card make a difference? Why can I read but n...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

powerchute on SCO 5.0.5
I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2 5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it ? Thanks On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:22:43 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2 >5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in >case of...

openssh for sco 5.0.5
Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 ? Is there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? Thanks E.A. "Corrlens" <ask@me.later> wrote in message news:26SJd.6161$8Z1.3177@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 ? > Is there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does > ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? > > Thanks > > E.A. > > I forgot to mention that my goal is to have sftp working, be ab...

Web resources about - Anyone used paragon drive backup 5.5 with SCO partitions? - comp.unix.sco.misc

Partition of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The partition of Ireland ( Irish : críochdheighilt na hÉireann ) was the division of the island of Ireland into two distinct territories, Northern ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9 simplifies OS migration, adds Storage Spaces support
MiniTool has unveiled a major new update to its partition management software for Windows with the release of MiniTool Partition Wizard Free ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

Jat stir revives Partition nightmare for Rohtak residents
The violent Jat quota agitation has revived painful memories of Partition for many people caught in the two conflicts separated by seven decades. ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...