Dell Server for SCO 5.0.6

I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none
of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for
OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone
running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840?
Thanks,
--Ray

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009, RWP wrote:
>I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none
>of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for
>OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone
>running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840?

We are running SCO 5.0.6a in VMware virtual machines which pretty
much eliminates hardware compatibility issues.  Generally we
install this on the Latest & Greatest verions of CentOS Linux.

The resulting system is significantly faster in the VM than it
was when running on the previous hardware, which makes sense as
current hardware is significantly faster than whatever was
available when 5.0.6 was originally installed.  Our primary OSR
development system, which also runs my ancient accounting
software, is running on a Supermicro box with 4GB RAM, and dual
Opterons.  The SCO VM has 1.5GB RAM allocated, which is more than
it was running native.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Independent self-reliant people would be a counterproductive anachronism
in the collective society of the future where people will be defined by
their associations.  1896 John Dewey, educational philosopher, proponent
of modern public schools.
0
bill5504 (467)
4/24/2009 4:48:17 PM
On Apr 24, 12:48=A0pm, Bill Campbell <b...@celestial.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009, RWP wrote:
> >I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none
> >of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for
> >OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone
> >running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840?
>
> We are running SCO 5.0.6a in VMware virtual machines which pretty
> much eliminates hardware compatibility issues. =A0Generally we
> install this on the Latest & Greatest verions of CentOS Linux.

There is a performance hit compared to new hardware running natively.
Refurbished Dell hardware is not too expensive and has plenty of
power. Installing 5.0.6 in VMware presents difficulties: if you use
VMware Workstation, you can simulate IDE drives and all is happy. If
not, you'll need to use a 5.0.7 boot floppy image to get the SCSI
drivers loaded in the emulator. Details arae at
http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html. If you can, save
yourself some wasted time and update to 5.0.7 overall. 5.0.7 also has
much better, built-in support for much better GNU toolchain, SSH, and
other useful open source components. This saves serious money on SCO's
compilers, which seems to be a reasonable compiler but is nowhere near
as compatible with contemporary software as gcc.

I happen to know that Dell 6850's work well with 5.0.6a: The hardware
compatibility list is far, far smaller than the hardware on which
OpenServer will actually run. But SCO is bankrupt, and is going from
the server business to the mobile applications business. Do you have
some compelling reason to continue with it and not to migrate?

> The resulting system is significantly faster in the VM than it
> was when running on the previous hardware, which makes sense as
> current hardware is significantly faster than whatever was
> available when 5.0.6 was originally installed. =A0Our primary OSR
> development system, which also runs my ancient accounting
> software, is running on a Supermicro box with 4GB RAM, and dual
> Opterons. =A0The SCO VM has 1.5GB RAM allocated, which is more than
> it was running native.

Yes, this is a good way to decommission old hardware. And you know
what? The old hardware can still be used for modest internal services
by running a lighterweight, better supported OS on them. I like using
lightweight old hardware for fileservers and backupk servers, running
Linux, rsnapshot, and Amanda. (That's admittedly a matter of taste.)
0
nkadel (705)
4/25/2009 12:50:28 PM
On Apr 24, 9:03=A0am, pet7447i...@sbcglobal.net (RWP) wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none
> of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for
> OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone
> running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840?
> Thanks,
> --Ray

Kadel-Garcia's opinion that SCO is "leaving the server business" is
contraindicated by the facts. SCO is releasing 5.0.7v, the virtual
edition of OpenServer 5 (http://sco.com/products/unix/
virtualization/).  The "v" series is designed for running under VMware
ESXi, with work underway with HyperV.  V editions of the other
supported OS's (OpenServer 6 and UnixWare 7.1.4) will follow. As
others have mentioned, running in a virtual environment eliminates a
lot of the compatibility issues.

5.0.6 is no longer supported so you're not going to see any new
hardware certified for it.  In fact, 5.0.7 itself is no longer
supported except in this "v" edition.

Campbell is suggesting running your 5.0.6 distribution under VMware
Server.  But since there is no VMware Toolkit there's risk of virtual
disk corruption if the host system does an unattended power off.  If
restoring to the latest backup is feasible then it's a viable option.
I've put 5.0.6 and even earlier on VMware Server for archive machines
and machines that don't collect irreplaceable data.

--Ray R.
Three Star Software
0
sco
4/25/2009 5:33:09 PM
On Apr 25, 1:33=A0pm, s...@3starsoftware.com wrote:
> On Apr 24, 9:03=A0am, pet7447i...@sbcglobal.net (RWP) wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none
> > of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for
> > OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone
> > running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840?
> > Thanks,
> > --Ray
>
> Kadel-Garcia's opinion that SCO is "leaving the server business" is
> contraindicated by the facts. SCO is releasing 5.0.7v, the virtual
> edition of OpenServer 5 (http://sco.com/products/unix/
> virtualization/). =A0The "v" series is designed for running under VMware
> ESXi, with work underway with HyperV. =A0V editions of the other
> supported OS's (OpenServer 6 and UnixWare 7.1.4) will follow. As
> others have mentioned, running in a virtual environment eliminates a
> lot of the compatibility issues.

If you're going to use my last name, please use the "Mr." with it. Or
should I call you "R."?

Take a look at the reports of their reorganization plan, including
those in press that remain tolerant of SCO. And an operating system
bug release update, or as small a feature as "runs under VMware", is
frankly not a big new feature. VMware and other emulators operating by
emulating *old* hardware, hardware which in fact has had working
drivers for years. (Admittedly, SCO OpenServer 5.0.x didn't support
the necessary SCSI drivers in the installation media until 5.0.7, but
still: it's an old hardware to emulate. This is not impressive.)

> 5.0.6 is no longer supported so you're not going to see any new
> hardware certified for it. =A0In fact, 5.0.7 itself is no longer
> supported except in this "v" edition.

Which makes sense, given the age of that series. It's too bad
OpenServer 6 has proven so difficult for some people to install: it
would have saved me a lot of work last year.

> Campbell is suggesting running your 5.0.6 distribution under VMware
> Server. =A0But since there is no VMware Toolkit there's risk of virtual
> disk corruption if the host system does an unattended power off. =A0If
> restoring to the latest backup is feasible then it's a viable option.
> I've put 5.0.6 and even earlier on VMware Server for archive machines
> and machines that don't collect irreplaceable data.

VMware Toolkits.... well. They are, in my experience over the last few
years with Windows and Linux under VMware, destabilizing and resource
consuming, burdensome tools.

Have you seen any of the filesystem corruption you're concerned about?
I've got other reasons to suggest doing full system backups: tools
like Lone-Tar come highly recommended for providing full OS
installation tools for SCO OpenServer. The fun and games of protecting
systems from power interruptions and similar hardware failures.....
well, system backups are always a good idea.

0
nkadel (705)
4/26/2009 2:35:07 AM
sco@3starsoftware.com wrote:
> Kadel-Garcia's opinion that SCO is "leaving the server business" is
> contraindicated by the facts.

Certainly. SCO is not leaving the server business. Instead, SCO is
leaving the realm of existence.

And nothing of importance will be lost.
0
pepe5 (204)

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. > > I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box > to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( > Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? I would dump SCO for a recent Linux distro. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? I would spend $100 to add 512 MB of RAM. More is better. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote: > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Linux, of course. I'd go with debian for a server. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? Databases want RAM. at 64MB, your database will be unusably slo...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6
The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6. How do I know? I donno, but it feels and seems so. I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6. The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen: 255191 files were encountered 167 files were excluded 9 files were not checked because the hard disk file had been modified by a program since it was backed up 2 files were not checked for various reasons 28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.) 226143 files verified successfully Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min. To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file: [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE real 0m58.59s user 0m1.72s sys 0m10.96s And to see how many directories had to be read: [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l 23745 Bob -- Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus. Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS). On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote: > The speed of the SCO ...

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching
Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives the wrong time. E...

FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6
I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish this is much appreciated. Regards, David On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. > >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. &g...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

How to install LDAP server on SCO 5.0.6
I want to install LDAP ( http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html ) on my sco box, Is there a installation guide for SCO ? Thanks E Arredondo wrote: > I want to install LDAP ( http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html ) on my > sco box, Is there a installation guide for SCO ? > > Thanks > > Sure thing.. http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/ldap.html -- Tony Lawrence Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com "Tony Lawrence" <foo@pcunix.com> wrote in message news:mIOdndGAeYyuWOrfRVn-vg@comcast.com... >E Arredondo wrote: >> I want to install LDAP ( http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html ) on >> my sco box, Is there a installation guide for SCO ? >> >> Thanks >> >> > > Sure thing.. > > > http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/ldap.html > > > -- > Tony Lawrence > Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com Thank you so much ! ...

SCO unix 5.0.6 web services setup
I need to install the "web services" deal on my unix box so that when a customer sends me requests with SOAP or XML my system accepts the call on the specific port. Is there a process to do that ? I'm currently running netscape fastract as a web server, I heard I need apache + axis , Are there other options to setup the web services ? thanks Where can I get this new Web Service from SCO ? Is it under their ftp site or I have to pay for it ? http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml;jsessionid=ERBHJ1BYLZ3IUQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=18824984&_requestid=1614593 In spite of the legal circus engulfing The SCO Group--and lingering concerns about the Unix company's future--top executives took the opportunity at the company's annual partner conference in Las Vegas to outline SCO's new Internet and Web services offerings and assert its intent to stay in business. At SCO Forum 2003, SCO announced the delivery of key component of its SCOx Web services initiative--SCOx WebFace Solution Suite 4.0--as well as the SCOsms Web Services API and SCObiz Web Services APIs. The company's SCOx direction and Web services API plans were unveiled last April. The enhanced suite and new APIs, designed to enable partners and customers to migrate legacy Unix applications to a services-oriented architecture, consists of the WebFace Browser Application Platform and WebFace Studio development platform. SCO's Web servic...

error while installing on-board NIC on Proliant 1600 server in SCO Open Server 5.0.5
dear all, While installing the EFS, when I configure the TCP/IP then i get the messages while relinking the kernel. i encountered the message when after installing the Advanced File and Print Server in SCO Open Server 5 i rebooted the server Compaq Proliant 1600 i get the message /dev/nbcots: invalid transport provider name /dev/netbeui: invalid transport provider name this problem prevents me from printing thru UNIX on windows pcs. i m not able to print on printers attached to windows pcs. one another message also occurs while relinking kernel: /etc/conf/bin/idmknod: driver ida not a ch...

SCO 5 / SCO 6 Drivers
What is the difference between drivers for ancient SCO OpenServer 5 and SCO 6? Is it at all possible to get an SCO 5 driver to run on SCO 6? (Source not available). I suspect I shouldn't touch this with a barge pole. On Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:00:20 PM UTC+1, roberth...@yahoo.com wrote: > What is the difference between drivers for ancient SCO OpenServer 5 and SCO 6? > > Is it at all possible to get an SCO 5 driver to run on SCO 6? (Source not available). > > I suspect I shouldn't touch this with a barge pole. I think that SCO OpenServer 5 was based on...

Sendmail 8.12.x or above on SCO Open Server 5.0.6

Printing on a DP-301P Print server SCO Unix OSR 5.0.7
How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network. I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e. /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ? Any help would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks Enrique "Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:X77Qi.59349$YL5.31497@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net... > How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 > ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network. > > I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no > luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e. > /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ? > > Any help would be greatly appreciate it. > > Thanks > > Enrique > I can ping 192.168.2.17 ...here: /# ping 192.168.2.17 PING 192.168.2.17 (192.168.2.17): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=2.522 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.086 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.283 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1.330 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1...

Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6
Hi, I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than java 1.3 for 5.0.6. I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try to run 'java' # java -version dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 Killed Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith On 13 Jul, 16:17, crym...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but > they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than > java 1.3 for 5.0.6. > > I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they > install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try > to run 'java' > > # java -version > dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 > Killed > > Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does > anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 > > Any help would be much appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Keith Keith, Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0. John On 17 Jul, 08:...

Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6?
I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? I'm lost. Thanks! jf jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: > I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data > off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and > ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I > have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). > > When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K > > Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or > can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? > > I'm lost. > > Thanks! > > jf Does the antique drive have *ANY* networking on its OS? Can you transfer the data over the network, via rcp or tar over an rlogin or somehting? On Fri, Feb 29, 2008, jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: >I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data >off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and >ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I >...

install laser printer dell 5100cn on sco 5.0.5
I have a new laser printer dell 5100cn and I need to install it on unix but the drivers are for solaris and hp unix. somebody have a driver for sco or instructions for install? thanks sorry if my english is bad but i'm spanish Francisco wrote: > I have a new laser printer dell 5100cn and I need to install it on unix but > the drivers are for solaris and hp unix. According to Dell, the 5100cn supports * PCL6, PCL5e, Adobe� PostScript� 3 page description languages. * LPD, Port 9100, FTP protocols. > somebody have a driver for sco or instructions for install? > thanks You don't really need a driver in the usual sense. For a local printer you would set the 'model' to "HPLaserJet" (it inserts PCL5 control codes as required depending on lp command options). To handle the network protocol use netcat (usually recommended in this newsgroup) http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html Alternatively you can use LPD. Use `scoadmin printer` and set up a new remote unix printer (deselecting the extended remote printing protocol). You may find this is simpler to set up than netcat. You don't get to specify a printer 'model' here. If your application doesn't emit PCL5 or Postscript then you might need to implement a virtual printer that allows you to add in the layout control codes (see http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec7.html "what is a virtual printer") OSR505 is pretty ancient. I'd consi...

samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio on SCO 5.0.6
Will this run on this version of SCO? Where can I find documentation to install it? Brent Bolin wrote: > Will this run on this version of SCO? I guess you mean the one at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a with gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > Where can I find documentation to install it? What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? I'd extract the VOL files from cpio archive and use custom to install them. (actually I prefer to use `scoadmin software` but YMMV). man cpio man custom Then I'd read whatever man pages are in the VOLs and/or the samba 3.0 web-site docs. Presumably all the above is known to you and I have missed your real question. If so, sorry. -- RGB On Dec 9, 9:19=A0am, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBr...@spamweary.invalid> wrote: > Brent Bolin wrote: > > Will this run on this version of SCO? > > I guess you mean the one atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/sam= ba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio > > On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a wi= th > =A0 =A0 =A0gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > > > Where can I find documentation to install it? > > What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? >...

SCO's 5.0.7V on vmware server 2.0?
I see SCO has a downloadable 5.0.7 virtual machine in ISO form they boast will run on vmware, but the getting-started docs don't mention using vmware server 2.0 (the free version). Has anyone got this to work and if so how did you do it? It seems silly they don't document using it with the most popular versions of vmware. But it is SCO. And that yearly subscription? What were they thinking? That sure gives a lot of confidence--buying something that will quit on a yearly basis from a company that is going through bankruptcy. I am still using a 5.0.6 virtual machine I built three years ago for an old but required app, but it would be nice to go with something newer and better. OregonBob <oregonbob@gmail.com> wrote: > I see SCO has a downloadable 5.0.7 virtual machine in ISO form they > boast will run on vmware, but the getting-started docs don't mention > using vmware server 2.0 (the free version). Has anyone got this to > work and if so how did you do it? > > It seems silly they don't document using it with the most popular > versions of vmware. But it is SCO. (I worked at SCO for 15 years, and now VMware for 5 years; not speaking for either of them, of course...) As it turned out, VMware Server was never the most popular of VMware's products. It is now "end of life" (see small comment "*VMware Server was declared End Of Availability on January 2010. Support will be limited to Technical Guidance for the dura...

Need NIC drivers/settings for SCO 5.0.5 on DELL pe2600
Hi All, An old customer that i dealt with many years ago called me saying = that their system had crashed and the people they were using were no help. = They did not have system backups but they had their DB backed up. I'm usi= ng their old dell server and their sco 5.0.5 disks and configured a new sys= tem. The one thing i can't find is NIC drivers. I have downloaded and ins= talled 2 sets of intel drivers but i have no idea what the card settings sh= ould be. After installing the drivers, running netconfig just gets me a li= st of cards i can select. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks! On Friday, January 18, 2013 11:15:57 PM UTC-5, rdpcons...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, >=20 > An old customer that i dealt with many years ago called me sayin= g that their system had crashed and the people they were using were no help= .. They did not have system backups but they had their DB backed up. I'm u= sing their old dell server and their sco 5.0.5 disks and configured a new s= ystem. The one thing i can't find is NIC drivers. I have downloaded and i= nstalled 2 sets of intel drivers but i have no idea what the card settings = should be. After installing the drivers, running netconfig just gets me a = list of cards i can select. >=20 >=20 >=20 > any help would be greatly appreciated. >=20 > thanks! I ended up installing a 3com 3C905b and all is well. The intel driver i f...

Web resources about - Dell Server for SCO 5.0.6 - comp.unix.sco.misc

Report: Apple developing at least 6 cloud infrastructure projects incl. servers to prevent snooping
... The Information reports that Project McQueen is actually just one of at least six internal efforts at Apple including building its own servers, ...

Report: Apple designing its own servers to avoid snooping
One of Facebook's data centers filled with custom-designed servers. (credit: Facebook ) Apple has begun designing its own servers partly because ...

Apple worries that spy technology has been secretly added to the computer servers it buys
... its own hardware, the same as Google and Amazon does, and run it on its own for one pretty scary reason: security. It suspects that the servers ...

PC rivalry extends to servers: Lenovo aims to topple HPE, Dell
A few years ago, Lenovo toppled rivals HP and Dell to become the world's top PC maker. It now wants to do the same in servers. Lenovo hopes ...

Please Be Nice To Restaurant Servers, Even If They Have Pink Hair
Among the many odd jobs I’ve done during my rise to the very middle of the pseudonymous blogging game, I once spent a summer in college waiting ...

EMEA x86 server spending grows 5% on year in 4Q15, says IDC
As reported in IDC's EMEA Server Tracker, in the fourth quarter of 2015 the EMEA server market continued to show moderate growth, reporting US$3.9 ...

Apple reportedly designing its own secure servers
Apple's track record for online services like iCloud has been shaky at best. According to The Information, the iPhone maker has spent years trying ...

Microsoft Gives SQL Server R Analytics a Machine-Learning Push
New machine-learning templates help give SQL Server 2016 customers a get a head start with advanced analytics applications based on the R language. ...

Apple may design its own servers to avoid government snooping
Apple is reportedly considering building its own servers to keep the government from intercepting and infecting them with various kinds of malware. ...