Editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow doesn't reset password. Why?

Ok. I'm very close to getting into the box now, but one thing stands in my way.

(I put up a linux box, dd'ed the drive to another one to play with, restamped
it with the geometry (edvtoc -p) and got it fsck'ed and mounted)

Then I edited out the encrypted password field in /etc/shadow. Figured this
would reset it, but no dice. Still can't get in. (either hitting return at the
login or space) Also tried editing out the field in /etc/passwd, editing out
both, editing out /etc/opasswd and /etc/oshadow

I read somewhere that you could chroot the mounted directory, so I did that
like this:
chroot /mnt /bin/su root
*which works*
but when I run "passwd" from there, it asks me for the old password, even
though I am running as root. I am logged in as root in the shell I mounted the
drive in, and I verified it with "id", which told me UID 0(root),GID3(sys).

I also tried the following:
I have an account on my system I put up to mount the drive, called admin, (my
non-root account) It has a password of "password". So I copied that hash from
the shadow file into the entry for root, and it still wouldn't let me in.

Is there some sort of other user database where the old password is still being
stored?

0
choaglin (11)

CHoaglin wrote:

>Is there some sort of other user database where the old password is still being
>stored?

/tcb/files/auth/r/root

Have a poke about in this area, you should get the idea of how it hangs
together.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899
Fax +61 7 3857 1368

0
scott892 (86)
2/17/2004 11:54:18 PM
Scott Burns typed (on Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:54:18PM +0000):
| CHoaglin wrote:
|

| >Is there some sort of other user database where the old password is still
| >being
| >stored?
| >

| /tcb/files/auth/r/root
|
| Have a poke about in this area, you should get the idea of how it hangs
| together.

Better: do not poke around there.
Instead, run authck -av.

--
JP
0
CHoaglin <choaglin@aol.comnfgspam> wrote:

>Ok. I'm very close to getting into the box now, but one thing
>stands in my way.

>(I put up a linux box, dd'ed the drive to another one to play
>with, restamped it with the geometry (edvtoc -p) and got it
>fsck'ed and mounted)

>Then I edited out the encrypted password field in /etc/shadow.
>Figured this would reset it, but no dice. Still can't get in.
>(either hitting return at the login or space) Also tried editing
>out the field in /etc/passwd, editing out both, editing out
>/etc/opasswd and /etc/oshadow

In a later post you mentioned Unixware.  It's been a while since I
touched this but you might check this.

When you said you edited out the filed in /etc/passwd does the final
resutling line start like this   root::0:0:.......

I hope you kept copies of your files before you edited them in case
you need to back up.

>I read somewhere that you could chroot the mounted directory, so
>I did that like this:

>chroot /mnt /bin/su root
>*which works*

>but when I run "passwd" from there, it asks me for the old
>password, even though I am running as root. I am logged in as
>root in the shell I mounted the drive in, and I verified it with
>"id", which told me UID 0(root),GID3(sys).

And how did you get to the point with the /mnt  ?  If you did this
from Linux then it's not going to work, and that's the impression I
got.

>I also tried the following: I have an account on my system I put
>up to mount the drive, called admin, (my non-root account) It has
>a password of "password". So I copied that hash from the shadow
>file into the entry for root, and it still wouldn't let me in.

When doing the chroot /mnt thing you should be doing this from the
install set that came from the OS.  The chrooting to /mnt and
working from there will usually work as you are basically starting
a reinstall.

I'd just like a bit of clarifcation on what you used to boot with
to mount this drive, and what field you edited exactly.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
0

user authentication via /etc/passwd|/etc/shadow
Hi, I want to write a program where I authenticate users via the standard unix system accounts. I didn't find a module providing this functionality. Is there such a module available? If not, how can I achieve this? Marco -- Marco Herrn herrn@gmx.net (GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred) Key ID: 0x94620736 Marco Herrn wrote: > I want to write a program where I authenticate users via the standard > unix system accounts. I didn't find a module providing this > functionality. Is there such a module available? If not, how can I > achieve this? You need...

SCO Dealer, etc,etc
Folks .. anybody got a dealer for SCO Unixware that I can buy from? Discounter preffered, grey marketer fine .. please email me back as I don't peruse the newsgroups that often CC to jpg@jdconsulting-usa.com would also be appreciated Thanks in advance to all you savvy techie gurus Jay ...

mount: can't find /media/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
On my Fedora 8 x86_84 system, /media/cdrom has disappeared. I suspect this is the result of a yum update, but I need help diagnosing the problem. 1. There is no /media/cdrom when I put a CD or DVD into the drive. If I type "mount /media/cdrom", I get the message: mount: can't find /media/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab Here is /etc/fstab: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0 Here is /etc/mtab: /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0 proc /proc proc rw 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0 /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0 none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0 sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0 fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0 2. I looked at my Fedora 8 laptop, and the fstab file is identical to the one shown above, but the CDROM drive works fine on that machine. 3. It does not appear to be an SE-Linux problem because if I change SE-linux to permissive mode, the p...

Can't access /etc/passwd anymore
When i use 'adduser' or 'usermod' i get the error message: usermod: can't obtain pw_lock: File exists But i can't find any lock file that might be obvious. So how can i remove the lock, rebooting doesn't help. llothar <llothar@web.de> wrote: > When i use 'adduser' or 'usermod' i get the error message: > > usermod: can't obtain pw_lock: File exists > > But i can't find any lock file that might be obvious. So how can i > remove the lock, > rebooting doesn't help. You could find out using kt...

Why doesn't /etc/profile get read?
Hi all- I'm using AIX 5.3, both using telnet and X (via cygwin's xwin) with CDE. What I don't understand is why /etc/profile is read when I log in using telnet and not when I use XWindows. I know this may not seem AIX-specific, but it's only on AIX that I'm having this problem; all other flavors of Unix (and Linux) seem to read /etc/profile when logging in, whether via telnet or X. Thanks, Tacho While stranded on information super highway Ron wrote: > Hi all- > > I'm using AIX 5.3, both using telnet and X (via cygwin's xwin) with > CDE. What I don&...

/etc/default/passwd don't work
Hallo everybody. I am trying to set a strict password policy using the /etc/default/passwd file. The problem is that my system seems to igore this file. For example I've set PASSLENGTH =6 but i can create through passwd command or webmin passwords with fewer digits (even passwords with one digit!). Only the settings about password aging seems to work. What's wrong? I hope for an answer because I'am desperate.... Thanks in advance, Bill bill3 wrote: > Hallo everybody. > I am trying to set a strict password policy using the > /etc/default/passwd file. > The problem is...

USB hard disk in /etc/fstab --- noauto doesn't work!
I've mounted my new USB hard drive on Linux no problem. And not wanting to go into root every time I mount it I put an entry in </etc/fstab>. But obviously having it mount every time I boot is silly if it's not always connected (that would defeat the point of a portable HDD). But if the HDD isn't connected the boot fails and I'm forced to either connect it or modify </etc/fstab>. Have I missed the point of noauto? I thought it was supposed to stop automounting. The /etc/fstab entry is /dev/sda /mnt/usbhd ext2 noauto,owner,user,_netdev 1 2 How do I prevent the system from attempting to mount the USB disk when it isn't there, if not using noauto? Alex -- Alex Macfie, Taipei, Taiwan ROC email <alex@cgce.net> Tel: +886 955 857477 <http://www.cgce.net/> STOP SOFTWARE PATENTS IN EUROPE <http://swpat.ffii.org/> Alex Macfie wrote: > I've mounted my new USB hard drive on Linux no problem. And not wanting to > go into root every time I mount it I put an entry in </etc/fstab>. But > obviously having it mount every time I boot is silly if it's not always > connected (that would defeat the point of a portable HDD). But if the HDD > isn't connected the boot fails and I'm forced to either connect it or > modify </etc/fstab>. Have I missed the point of noauto? I thought it was > supposed to stop automounting. The /etc/fstab entry is ...

SCO Unix OSR5.06 box doesn't bott anymore
Hi, SCO Unix OSR5.06 + 5.06a supplement. SuperMicro motherboard, bi-PIII Xeon 700 1Gb ECC ram Icp vortex GDT7523RN SCSI raid controler external hdd array with 5 + 1 hdd in raid-5 hdd's in channel-A scsi tape drive SLR60 in channel-B scsi, this server is running since 1994 without any problem. this morning, a kernel trap was happend. I had many difficulties to boot it, sometimes it worked, sometimes not (the system freeze and/or kernel trap happend) I could make a backup of /root with Lone-Tar utility. the /u file system was backuped saturday. Now when boot up, the system freeze at %cpu ... %cpuid ... %fpu ... So what's next step ? What's wrong ? Could it be some corrupted /dev/swap ? (because after some kernel trap, the system said at boot time that it could not identify if there is something or not in then /dev/swap device, or : bad adress message). Should the restore of / filesystem via Air-Bag utility resolve the boot problem ? Thank's. F. STOCK ...

SCO Unix doesn't recognize D-Link network card
Hello, I've installed a D-Link DFE-538TX network card in an SCO Unix 5.0.5, but it doesn't recognized the card. It's just a 2-PC-network, just for testing before installing real stuff. So, it's not a conflict of IP numbers. The other PC has Windows 98 to connect with the SCO UNIX server through Telnet. I downloaded the card's driver from Internet (http://support.dlink.ca/ProductView.asp?ProductModel=DFE-538TX) for SCO Unix: 538TX.vol. Then I have installed it in this way: - doscp a:538TX.vol /tmp/VOL.000.000 - I use 'custom' and followed the following options: Software / Install New / From 'your computer'/MediaImages - Then I entered the directory: /tmp Then I get to scoadmin: - scoadmin / Networks / Network Configuration Manager / Hardware / Add New LAN Adapter / - I chose the option: D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter - I chose the option: Set speed and duplex mode:: Auto - I chose the option: Add Protocol - I chose the option: SCO TPI NetBios for TCP/IP - I wrote down the following parameters: Local Host Name: scosysv IP Address: 192.168.1.5 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Broadcast Address: 192.168.1.255 Domain Name: pachacamac TCP Connections: 1024 Pseudo ttys: 64 Advanced Options: Gateway: No Administrator for this system: Location of this system: Frame Format: ...

Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!
Hello, I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can replicas be in filesysems?), initialized the mirrors, edited the /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system can't find /usr. My /etc/vfstab before editing for RAID-1 --- #device device mount FS fsck mount mount #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options # fd - /dev/fd fd - no - /proc - /proc proc - no - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 ...

Looking for a new printer that doesn't clog, used much, etc.
Hello. I think I need to replace Epson Stylus Color 880 printer because every time I print, I get black wheel/roller marks and blobs. I tried clean every places, but no go. It seems fine if I am only feeding paper without printing. Maybe the printer head went bad and leaks when printing? Oh well, I only paid about 70 bucks for it back in September 2001. What's the best printer brand and model that doesn't clog often, easy to maintain, etc. I also don't use the printer much as I used to do as a student. I will print a few pages maybe once a month so the ink catridges need to stay in shape for a longer period of time especially during heat waves in Southern CA. I also still want to be able to print photographs in colors on glossy papers. This will be rare as well. The printer should work in Windows 95 to XP, Linux, and MacOS X (10.2.8; PowerBook G4 15" 1 Ghz). Parallel support would be nice for my old Pentium 150 MMX laptop with Windows 95 OSR2, but I doubt that parallel support still exists these days. Any printer sales happening in my area at Costco, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, etc.? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new printer. It doesn't need to be the newest model either. Thank you in advance. :) -- "When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown /\___/\ ...

scanf (yes/no)
Hi, Consider: ------------ char stringinput[64] ..bla. bla. bla. do { printf("Write to result.txt (y/n)? "); scanf("%s", stringinput); } while (writechar != 'y' || != 'n'); The compiler complaints. It says: error C2059: syntax error : '!=' Another problem is that MS VS 2005 keeps complaining about deprecated commands such as: 1. warning C4996: 'fscanf' was declared deprecated.......: see declaration of 'fscanf' - Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using fscanf_s instead. To disable dep...

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

[9fans] acme: 2-1chord on Edit in a 'win window' tag doesn't work
Hello everyone, might be I am doing something wrong, but this seems to me like a bug... In some acme window I have a command, e.g simply s/f/g/, I select it with a mouse and 2-1 chord it on the Edit command in a tag line of a window in which there is win running and also some text (for us e.g. abcdefgh) is selected. Nothing happens. Only when the s/f/g/ is copied in the tag line and the whole (together with the Edit) is 2-selected, the command is executed, i.e. abcdefgh -> abcdeggh. This only happens for a win window, ordinary text window is ok as well as a directory window. Thanks for comments, Ruda > In some acme window I have a command, e.g simply s/f/g/, I select it > with a mouse and 2-1 chord it on the Edit command in a tag line of a > window in which there is win running and also some text (for us e.g. > abcdefgh) is selected. Nothing happens. Only when the s/f/g/ is copied > in the tag line and the whole (together with the Edit) is 2-selected, > the command is executed, i.e. abcdefgh -> abcdeggh. > > This only happens for a win window, ordinary text window is ok as well > as a directory window. This is a design bug in acme. Acme sends events like this to external programs to handle, and if the program can't handle it, it sends the event back. Unfortunately, the "send it back" protocol is more limited and doesn't include a way to echo back the fact that this was an argument from a different window. So after thi...

How to determine whether a file doesn't exist or doesn't have enough permissions
Hello everone, I am stuck in determining whether a file does not exist or does not have enough permissions so that access to this file is denied?". I am using java.io.File.exists() or java.io.File.canRead() methods to check this but both of them just return false in both above mentioned cases. In the documentation however its mentioned that these method throw SecurityException - If a security manager exists and its SecurityManager.checkRead(java.lang.String) method denies read access to the file. But then problem is to write a security manager which denies read access if the file does not...

PIL (etc etc etc) on OS X
Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5). I know nothing about installing programs on Linux, nothing about building C programs, nothing about installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing about anything. Please insert question marks after every sentence: I saw a "BUILDME" with instructions "for lazy programmers". I did that. It seems that everything worked except a jpg library is missing. I read that I need to install libjpeg. I read that on OS X this is "usually" done using fink. Great: (i) The idea of installing fink scares me, for no...

iproute2 fwmark doesn't work (or iptables --set-mark doesn't)
Hi, I just subscribed this group. Hello everyone! I have a problem with setting up routing. In short, I want to mark certain packets with iptables and then catch these marks with iproute2. However Linux seems to ignore these marks. I have a 3.11.4 kernel with CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER and CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES set. Here's my setup: - eth0: LAN - IP 192.168.0.1, netmask /24 - It connects to the LAN - eth1: WAN - IP 192.168.1.180, netmask /24, gateway 192.168.1.1 - It connects to the Internet - tap0: VPN (created with OpenVPN) - Local IP 172.24.25.4, remote IP (and gateway) 172.24.25.2, netmask /24 I want to pass certain traffic through 192.168.1.1 (eth1) and certain through 172.24.25.2 (tap0) - local traffic as well as routed traffic. Rules will be somewhat complicated (for locally-generated traffic and routed traffic), now just let's assume that I want to mark all packets to go through 192.168.1.1. I have added two new routing tables to /etc/iproute2/rt_tables: #v+ 2 vpn 3 wan #v- I've created two of them, so the main table will not have a default gateway. This way I can avoid errors - if I make a mistake and traffic goes through the main table, it won't get out. Tables are then populated: #v+ ip route flush table main ip route add 192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0 table main ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth1 table main ip route add 172.24.25.0/24 dev tap0 table main ip route flush table...

tkdesk on fedora core 5 -- doesn't run, doesn't compile
Hello, all: I've been using TkDesk for years. It's my favorite file manager. But after upgrading to Fedora Core 5, it doesn't run anymore: *** glibc detected *** tkdesksh: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x0853dd18 *** ======= Backtrace: ========= /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_free+0x17b)[0xb7c1751f] tkdesksh[0x8051f04] /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so(TclInvokeStringCommand+0x6e)[0xb7e29c7e] <snip> /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so(Tk_MainEx+0x40d)[0xb7eff57d] tkdesksh[0x804fb00] /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdc)[0xb7bc57e4] tkdesksh(sinh+0x61)[0x804f9e1] ======= Memory map: ======== 08048000-080f8000 r-xp 00000000 08:02 261716 /usr/local/bin/tkdesksh <snip> b7fee000-b7fef000 rw-p 00019000 08:02 751486 /lib/ld-2.4.so bf8d7000-bf8ed000 rw-p bf8d7000 00:00 0 [stack] ffffe000-fffff000 ---p 00000000 00:00 0 [vdso] Abort So, I tried to recompile, but I get this error: tixImgXpm.c:66: error: conflicting types for 'Tcl_Panic' tixImgXpm.c:66: note: a parameter list with an ellipsis can't match an empty parameter name list declaration /usr/include/tclDecls.h:39: error: previous declaration of 'Tcl_Panic' was here make[1]: *** [tixImgXpm.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/tkdesk/tkdesk-2.0/libdesk' make: *** [lib_libdesk] Error 2 Help, please. I've compiled TkDesk before without any problem. Do I need to point to new header/library locations? Thanks, Alan ...

Writing 'if' 'then' etc in equations
Hi. How can I write 'if', 'then', 'using (x)' etc flush with the left, next to a particular line in an equation. This is rather than writing the text, then displaying the equation, since then there will be a gap halfway through the various lines of equations. So I would want to use this with the align environment. I have looked on some tutorials (wikipedia, not so short intro etc) but couldn't find anything. Cheers! >>>>> "hwibbles@googlemail.com" <hwibbles@googlemail.com> (h) wrote: >h> Hi. How can I write 'if', 'then', 'using (x)' etc flush with the left, >h> next to a particular line in an equation. This is rather than writing >h> the text, then displaying the equation, since then there will be a gap >h> halfway through the various lines of equations. So I would want to use >h> this with the align environment. I have looked on some tutorials >h> (wikipedia, not so short intro etc) but couldn't find anything. Cheers! Align is part of the amsmath package and is usually not dealt with in the introductory LaTeX tutorials. Something like this: \begin{align} E &= mc^2 \quad \text{if Einstein is right} \\ c^2 &= a^2+b^2 \quad \text{according to Pythagoras} \\ \end{align} Maybe the cases environment might also be useful for you. Also part of amsmath. Look at www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/math/voss/mathmode/Mathmode.pdf for an excellent tut...

I don't get why '>' doesn't get printed in the following example
When I do a here-document, the '>' character shows up to indicate the start of a newline. [cdalten@localhost ~]$ cat << EOF > My current directory is dir $PWD > EOF My current directory is dir /home/cdalten [cdalten@localhost ~]$ What prevents the '>' characters from showing up in the final output? On Jul 3, 10:35 am, Chad <cdal...@gmail.com> wrote: > When I do a here-document, the '>' character shows up to indicate the > start of a newline. > > [cdalten@localhost ~]$ cat << EOF> My current directory is dir $PWD > &...

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION´┐Ż3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

SCO OSR5 /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx
In SCO OSR5, fwtmp can dump the contents of /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp to human readable formats, but what about /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx? I've been looking for a way to get the data from these files, but fwtmp can parse them cleanly. Anyone know what to use? TIA, Edward Hooper Princess Cruises IT Department Shipboard Systems Group ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Hooper" <ehooper@princesscruises.com> Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc To: <distro@jpr.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:00 PM Subject: SCO OSR5 /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx > In SCO OSR5, fwtmp can dump the contents of /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp to > human readable formats, but what about /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx? I've > been looking for a way to get the data from these files, but fwtmp can > parse them cleanly. > > Anyone know what to use? > > TIA, > > Edward Hooper > Princess Cruises > IT Department > Shipboard Systems Group ftp://ftp.armory.com./pub/scobins/cwtmp It's main job is to clean out wtmp of bad entries, but it can read the x files and it has options for both human readable output and dry run. wget it into PATH and chmod 755, then cwtmp -h |less -- Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/ +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++. filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani Brian, cwtmp almost does...

Jeff Doesn't Like Pizza; Jeff Doesn't Like In-House Working Peripherals
Jeff sits in a tangle of trackball wires. Jeff can't order a delicious pizza from the Web. He won't call the Geek Squad to fix his broken trackball. Meanwhile, Linux service explodes with In-Home Fixit People. Get these People to Fix the Track Ball ! Jeff (!) begin Steve Zissou (JBailo) nymshifted: > > Jeff sits in a tangle of trackball wires. > < snip > Fine, JBailo. So this idiot has felt the need to be mentioned again. You, in your infinite idiocy, naturally did his wishes. Idiot -- Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall. Hi Steve_Zissou, You wrote: << Jeff sits in a tangle of trackball wires. Jeff can't order a delicious pizza from the Web. He won't call the Geek Squad to fix his broken trackball. Meanwhile, Linux service explodes with In-Home Fixit People. Get these People to Fix the Track Ball ! Jeff (!) >> Googling for: << Linux site:geeksquad.com >> yeilds Zero hits. They'd charge an arm and a leg and they couldn't fix a thing. ...

can't get the $_GET['id'] after the header is sent but page doesn't redirect
In the first if, the page is displayed without any company cars selected. If there is a company selected, then the id value is posted and captured by the redirect (1st elseif). Then one of two things can happen. The final else the selected company/id cars get displayed in the browser, or in the case of a post to a form for excel, the a header gets sent to the to the current_sightingsXL.php page. The current_sightingsXL.php and current_sightings.php pages test out. The second elseif works with one minor problem. I have to type in the url with the id to get it to download to excel. if{XXXX }elseif($_POST['redirect']&&$_POST['redirect']!=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']){ Header("Location: ".$_POST['redirect'].".php?id=".$_POST['id']); exit; }elseif($_POST['assign']=='Open in Excel'){ Header("Location: current_sightingsXL.php?id=".$_GET:['id']); exit; }else{ xxxxx}; When the first elseif gets hit then this happens in the url: http://www.allcapitalrail.com/current_sightings.php?id=117 Then if I post the button to excel, this should happen but it doesn't: www.allcapitalrailXL.com?id=117 However, if I type the above line in the url then the excel download works. What happens is when I click the excel post button the get id doens't get into the url. I get www.allcapitalrail.com which starts over. But at this point if I type in the www.allcapitalrail.com/...

Web resources about - Editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow doesn't reset password. Why? - comp.unix.sco.misc