FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700 on
a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general.  I also
need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.

All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.

Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
this is much appreciated.

Regards,

David
0
djpogoff1 (1)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote:
>I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700 on
>a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
>there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general.  I also
>need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>
>All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
>psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
>phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
>kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
>application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>
>Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
>this is much appreciated.

It's been a long time since I did this on OpenServer.  All our
faxing is now done on Linux systems using the open source HylaFAX
system, with *EXTERNAL* Multitech modems.  I think that JP Radley
is using HylaFAX on OpenServer so probably has it available,
compiled, for download.

I have tried quite a few modems over the years, but the only ones
that have never given me problems are the Multitechs.  Telebits
were excellent as well, but are no longer available (I still have
three WorldBlasers and a Trailblazer on the shelf in case we
ever need to go back to dialup uucp :-)

IHMO, one should only use external modems as their serial
interface has been standard for decades, and it's far easier to
power cycle a wedged external modem than to reboot a system to
clear one.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Memoirs -- Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs, and his
wife Hillary got $8 million for hers.  That's $20 million for memories from
two people who for eight years repeatedly testified  they couldn't remember
anything.
0
bill5504 (467)
4/18/2008 10:21:03 PM
Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote:
>> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700 on
>> a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
>> there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general.  I also
>> need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>>
>> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
>> psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
>> phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
>> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
>> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>>
>> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
>> this is much appreciated.
>
> It's been a long time since I did this on OpenServer.  All our
> faxing is now done on Linux systems using the open source HylaFAX
> system, with *EXTERNAL* Multitech modems.  I think that JP Radley
> is using HylaFAX on OpenServer so probably has it available,
> compiled, for download.

I like HylaFAX, especially since I wrote the SunOS port of it, and some of the
early Linux ports. It's extremely robust, and hte new updates at Brian White's
website support PCL transmission using the ghostpdl package.

> I have tried quite a few modems over the years, but the only ones
> that have never given me problems are the Multitechs.  Telebits
> were excellent as well, but are no longer available (I still have
> three WorldBlasers and a Trailblazer on the shelf in case we
> ever need to go back to dialup uucp :-)
>
> IHMO, one should only use external modems as their serial
> interface has been standard for decades, and it's far easier to
> power cycle a wedged external modem than to reboot a system to
> clear one.

Well, for other platforms, Rocketport makes excellent cards, including some
new PCI-X cards with multiple modem ports directly built in. But entegrating
such tools with SCO Openserver would be asking for pain, due to the operating
system's age, limited deployment, and lack of driver updates.

But with the HylaFAX clients, you *COULD* send the fax requests to any other
HylaFAX server on any other platform, if you needed it.
0
nkadel (705)

On Apr 18, 2:04=A0pm, David <djpog...@complexNOSPAMnet.com> wrote:
> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. =A0I don't want to spend $1700 on=

> a "fax server solution". =A0Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which=

> there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. =A0I also=

> need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>
> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
> psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
> phone number to fax to and any other required info. =A0I don't need all
> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. =A0The
> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>
> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
> this is much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

As others have said HylaFax is a solution.and is Free.  There is also
VsiFax and has been used on SCO for many years.
David wrote:
> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700 on
> a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
> there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general.  I also
> need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>
> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
> psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
> phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>
> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
> this is much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for several
clients needing to fax from SCO.

ActiveFax runs on a Windows platform and accepts print jobs from UNIX
on any port you care to set up. I customarily choose port 9100 and then
set up a netcat printer to print to the Windows host IP on port 9100 using
the HPLaserJet.net interface.

ActivFax simulates an HP LaserJet printer. So anything you would normally
send to a LaserJet, you can send to ActivFax. You can embed the phone number
you want the fax to be sent to using the string @Fnnn text for field@. In the
below example the subject is "cost Quote for Computer, the recipient phone
number is 816-525-5076 and field F316 is placed on the cover page.

@F307 Cost Quote for Computer@@F320 816-525-5076@@F316 Here is the quote you req
uested.@     1  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2
3 4 5
      2  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2 3 4 5
      3  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2 3 4 5

ActivFax is not cheep. The last copy a client licensed was $695 for 5 users
(up from $495 when I first started using ActivFax). The good thing is that
UNIX print jobs are all considered as from one user. We've never had to
purchase more then the base license.

I had one client with two separate companies in the same office space. I was
able to set up ActiveFax with customized cover pages for each company.

Note: I am not a dealer for ActiveFax. I have my clients' purchase directly
from www.actfax.com website. You can download a fully functioning demonstration
program that will fax but puts a big "demo" banner across the sent fax pages.

Because it is hosted on a Windows machine, you also get windows drivers that
allow you to print from any Windows application. If you don't have embedded
fields, the Windows drivers will pop up the ActiveFax client that allows you
to select recipient from a phone book, add text to the cover page, preview the
resulting fax and then send it.

Echoing Bill Campbell, we always use Multitech External modems.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> David wrote:
>> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700
>> on a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for
>> which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in
>> general.  I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>>
>> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to
>> a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
>> phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
>> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
>> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>>
>> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
>> this is much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David
>>

> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for several
> clients needing to fax from SCO.

That means buying and supporting another Windows box. Why not just run it with
HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box, and get full
incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services? The software's free: it
does take some attention to set up correctly, but for a simple setup it's
pretty trivial.
0
nkadel (705)
4/20/2008 7:48:59 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine.  I don't want to spend $1700
>>> on a "fax server solution".  Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for
>>> which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in
>>> general.  I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
>>>
>>> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to
>>> a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
>>> phone number to fax to and any other required info.  I don't need all
>>> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc.  The
>>> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
>>>
>>> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to
>>> accomplish this is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
>> several
>> clients needing to fax from SCO.
>
> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.

No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

Just pick a system, Win 98 to Win server 2003, and install ActivFax
server software & Client, Hook up a modem and Bam, your done. To print
from UNIX use the ActiveFax setting to enable RAW server and select your
port. Set up a netcat printer and Bam, UNIX faxing.

ActiveFax Will also accept jobs via rlp, and Windows Share folder
(place a file in a specified windows share, ActiveFax will see it,
grab the file and fax it).

Why not just run
> it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box, and
> get full incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services?

ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand and
will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox based upon
phone number destination of the incoming fax.

And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
server?

The
> software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly, but
> for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.

Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

None of my UNIX users use X-Windows and viewing Faxes are then problematical.

With ActiveFax, just fire up the ActivFax client on any Windows pc and it searches
the network for the ActiveFax server. Click on Outgoing -> sent, and view all outgoing
fax transmissions. Click on Incoming -> unread and see newly received fax messages.
Create archive folders and move fax messages to archives by client, or any
criteria you select.

Do what you like, the OP asked for options. HylaFAX, VSI Fax, Faximum,
and ActiveFax are all options he can investigate.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates

>> Why not just run it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another
>> UNIX or Linux box, and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and
>> dial-up modem services?
>
> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
>
> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
> server?
>
>> The software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly,
>> but for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.
>
> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
6.0.0.  In what way did it defeat you?

--
JP
0
Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):
>
>>> Why not just run it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another
>>> UNIX or Linux box, and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and
>>> dial-up modem services?
>> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
>> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
>> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
>>
>> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
>> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
>> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
>> server?
>>
>>> The software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly,
>>> but for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.
>> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.
>
> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
> 6.0.0.  In what way did it defeat you?

JP,

I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
how it works was so long ago.

I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
what to do to get the product installed and working.

I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.

I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the product
working and still feel that way toward it.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

>>> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
>>> several
>>> clients needing to fax from SCO.
>>
>> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.
>
> No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

A plethora of desktop Windows installations, I'm sure most of us have such. A
plethora of server-class insallations for proper industrial services? Those
aren't so common.

> Just pick a system, Win 98 to Win server 2003, and install ActivFax
> server software & Client, Hook up a modem and Bam, your done. To print
> from UNIX use the ActiveFax setting to enable RAW server and select your
> port. Set up a netcat printer and Bam, UNIX faxing.

So you're going to run a critical service for incoming and outgoing business
documents *on Win98*? That's begging for security and service pain.

> ActiveFax Will also accept jobs via rlp, and Windows Share folder
> (place a file in a specified windows share, ActiveFax will see it,
> grab the file and fax it).

Well. good. How well does it handle cover pages and how does it determine the
target phone number with such Windows share dropped targets? And publishing to
a Windows share from a SCO box sounds.... fairly painful. I assume this share
is on the ActiveFax server itself, and thus you'd need to set up an SMB
mounted access to it on the SCO box?

> Why not just run
>> it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box,
>> and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services?
>
> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand and
> will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox based upon
> phone number destination of the incoming fax.

The incoming phone number delivery is a cute trick. I loath sending business
documents over email due to mail storage and security issues, and prefer to
provide notification to recipients of a secure, web-accisslble location for
such documents.

> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
> server?

I find it much easier to take a modest box and install a Linux than a Windows.
The licenses are cheaper, it runs on less powerful hardware than a modern
Windows, and it's historically vastly easier to keep updated and secure.

My SCO experience is limited to OpenServer, but my UNIX experience goes back
to BSD 4.1, and my Windows experience back to DOS 6.22. For industrial class
services, one-off UNIX and later Linux boxes have always been easier to
install and support.

> The
>> software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly, but
>> for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.
>
> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

Now, that's unfortunate. Can you remember the issues? I'm expert with it (I
did the SunOS port!), and would be happy to help solve the issues for you and
help prevent similar problems for others in the future.

> None of my UNIX users use X-Windows and viewing Faxes are then
> problematical.

*OH*. You want Irfanview! It works very well for Windows viewing of TIFF and
TIFFg3 fax files!

> With ActiveFax, just fire up the ActivFax client on any Windows pc and
> it searches
> the network for the ActiveFax server. Click on Outgoing -> sent, and
> view all outgoing
> fax transmissions. Click on Incoming -> unread and see newly received
> fax messages.
> Create archive folders and move fax messages to archives by client, or any
> criteria you select.

See, 'firing up the ActiveFax client on your Windows PC' means installing and
using it from Windows. That's not real helpful for Macs, Linux, or UNIX clients.

> Do what you like, the OP asked for options. HylaFAX, VSI Fax, Faximum,
> and ActiveFax are all options he can investigate.

Fair enough. I'm surprised at the difficulties you had with HylaFAX.
0
nkadel (705)
4/20/2008 10:14:40 PM
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:10:20PM -0500):
> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

>>> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
>>> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
>>> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
>>>
>>> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
>>> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
>>> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
>>> server?

>>> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.
>>
>> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
>> 6.0.0.  In what way did it defeat you?
>>

> JP,
>
> I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
> how it works was so long ago.
>
> I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
> to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
> or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
> was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
> programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
> don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
> what to do to get the product installed and working.
>
> I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
> on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
> additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
> to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
> There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.
>
> I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the product
> working and still feel that way toward it.

I think Tony's instructions are OK, although I haven't peeked at them in
quite some time.

OTOH, when I need to install HylaFax on a new customer's site, I
download my own tarballs from ftp.jpr.com, and use the README contained
therein.  Try it, you might like it; I believe I've pretty much nailed
everything else you might need, and what to do and in which order.

--
JP
0
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

>>> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
>>> several
>>> clients needing to fax from SCO.
>>
>> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.
>
>No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

I don't.  We have one OSR 5.0.6a system, a FreeBSD box, several
Macs running OS X 10.4.?, and a three racks full of Linux boxen.
Not a single machine running the Microsoft virus, Windows.

We have HylaFAX running on a Linux box that also supports dialup
uucp, uucp over tcp, and does e-mail forwarding for several of
our clients.  This machine replaced a Caldera 1.3 system running
on a Pentium 75 for nine years or so before I finally retired it
(it was a bit of fun figuring out the smail-3.2 and HylaFAX
configurations that had been running for years unthouched :-).

We have one customer running VSI*FAX.  The only thing that has
that I have not implemented with HylaFAX is overlaying form
images with text for invoices.  We do that using groff overlaying
EPS images with the .PSPIC macros for invoicing, creating
PostScript output which HylaFAX handles nicely.

Faximum is another commercial *nix that has been around for
years, and is quite good.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

....government has nothing to give to anybody that it doesn't first take
from somebody else.  In other workds, all its relief and subsidy schemes
are merely ways of robbing Peter to support Paul -- Henry Hazlitt
0
bill5504 (467)
4/20/2008 11:28:02 PM
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

>>> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
>>> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
>>> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
>>>
>>> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
>>> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
>>> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
>>> server?

>>> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.
>>
>> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
>> 6.0.0.  In what way did it defeat you?
>>

> JP,
>
> I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
> how it works was so long ago.
>
> I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
> to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
> or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
> was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
> programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
> don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
> what to do to get the product installed and working.
>
> I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
> on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
> additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
> to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
> There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.

Ahh. But you have a 'mkdev VSIfax', integrated to handle the phone numbers to
fax from SCO systems to a Windows fax server? I'm.... amazed. Where is this
integrated utility?

I do sympathize with the difficulty you describe. HylaFAX was written
primarily by Sam Leffler, one of the authors of BSD UNIX. As such, it's a
powerful and well crafted tool, comfortable for programmers to install. Sam
also was a core author of TIFF, the graphic format used for storing faxes by
almost everyone. So he wrote robust, flexible tools to accomplish a wide
variety of tasks well.

But he didn't put in the prerequisites for you, especially for an AT&T based
UNIX such as SCO. You'd need to install tools like bash, because ksh is not
nearly so broadly used for shell scripting. And ghostscript, for getting
superior printer drivers and rendering PDF and Postscript and other formats
well, is also quite useful. And TIFF, used in numerous graphical tools such as
ImageMagick and GIMP.

> I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the
> product
> working and still feel that way toward it.

Fair enough. I suspect you're missing out on a lot of useful open source tools
which certainly weren't incorporated into OpenServer.
0
nkadel (705)
4/21/2008 1:50:24 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
>>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

>>> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
>>> 6.0.0.  In what way did it defeat you?
>>>

>> JP,
>>
>> I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
>> how it works was so long ago.
>>
>> I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
>> to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
>> or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
>> was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
>> programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
>> don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
>> what to do to get the product installed and working.
>>
>> I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
>> on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
>> additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in
>> installing
>> to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
>> There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.
>
> Ahh. But you have a 'mkdev VSIfax', integrated to handle the phone
> numbers to fax from SCO systems to a Windows fax server? I'm.... amazed.
> Where is this integrated utility?

Not necessary. In the last installation I was called by a client running
AIX 4.3 as their company's primary application box. The application is
a wholesale inventory control and sales system custom written in C.

The owner/manager wanted to fax reports to a near by fax machines wherever
he was in the world (travels a lot meeting new customers and suppliers).

He is using a VPN from his laptop back to the office to access the
application via telnet.

He did not want to be dependent upon the customer's LAN and printers and
have to suffer the setup (which he is incapable of doing) to integrate
his laptop on a customer's network to print to their printers.

I had previously performed work for the client in configuring SAMBA on his
AIX server after someone else installed it and was unable to get it to
run. To support remote printers over a VPN to a secondary warehouse
location, I installed Netcat by compiling a custom source provided by
Kevin Smith at Shade tree Software that he had modified as required to
compile on AIX.

I brought in a modem and installed the demo version of ActiveFax on the
programmers XP workstation and assisted the programmer in modeling the
code to modify his print routines to print to a netcat based "fax" printer
with the necessary embedded fields to specify the target phone number
where the report was to be faxed: "lp -dfax -s." After a couple days of
testing, they licensed ActiveFAX and ordered a Multitech MT5634ZBA external
modem.

> I do sympathize with the difficulty you describe. HylaFAX was written
> primarily by Sam Leffler, one of the authors of BSD UNIX. As such, it's
> a powerful and well crafted tool, comfortable for programmers to
> install. Sam also was a core author of TIFF, the graphic format used for
> storing faxes by almost everyone. So he wrote robust, flexible tools to
> accomplish a wide variety of tasks well.
>
> But he didn't put in the prerequisites for you, especially for an AT&T
> based UNIX such as SCO. You'd need to install tools like bash, because
> ksh is not nearly so broadly used for shell scripting. And ghostscript,
> for getting superior printer drivers and rendering PDF and Postscript
> and other formats well, is also quite useful. And TIFF, used in numerous
> graphical tools such as ImageMagick and GIMP.
>
>> I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the
>> product
>> working and still feel that way toward it.
>
> Fair enough. I suspect you're missing out on a lot of useful open source
> tools which certainly weren't incorporated into OpenServer.

I have not sworn off useful open source tools. I use what I need to
accomplish the client's goals. Prior to SCO providing gnupg in a maintenance
patch for 5.0.7, I downloaded and compiled Gnupg 1.4.1 for a client's
system to encrypt and decrypt account files transferred to the client
from their client using pgp. I've also downloaded and compiled Spamassassin
and installed it on several client's systems.

As for Hylafax and AIX: Since I was unsuccessful on SCO, I knew I didn't have
a chance of getting it to work on the AIX box. I'm not an AIX admin and
have to pour over the docs every time I touch AIX. Since I had previously
installed Netcat on the AIX box and had used ActiveFax from SCO,
proposing ActiveFax to the AIX client was a no-brainer. I knew I could
install ActiveFax and get it to work with the client's AIX application.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.
>> No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?
>
> I don't.  We have one OSR 5.0.6a system, a FreeBSD box, several
> Macs running OS X 10.4.?, and a three racks full of Linux boxen.
> Not a single machine running the Microsoft virus, Windows.

Bill,

Your company is a special case.

Since I left AT&T in 1987 and begin working as an independent computer
consultant,  I have never been called to provide UNIX support to anyone
with your mix of equipment. And I suspect that you have no need to call
anyone to provide support on your systems.

Since the general movement away from serial connected Wyse 60 style
terminals to TCP/IP networked SCO servers with Windows work stations, I
rarely get calls from anyone without Windows machines on the "knowledge
workers" desks.

One instance where the client had no choice was a CPA firm running UNIX
based tax preparation software. Their software provider was purchased
by a bigger provider of tax software and they received a letter in
January of 1997 that the company would continue to provide and support
tax preparation on UNIX into the foreseeable future. On April 16 of 1997
the client received a letter that the foreseeable future had expired
and "... if you want to stay with us, you will have to purchase our
Windows based tax software for the next tax year."

I put in nine Windows 95 pc's to replace their Wyse 60 terminals, upgraded
the UNIX server from SCO 3.2v4.2 to a new box running SCO 5.0.2 with
VisionFS, installed Cat-5 network cable and a Kingston 12-port 100M Hub
all for the princely sum of $24,879 (equipment and OS only).

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

SCO unix 5.0.6 web services setup
I need to install the "web services" deal on my unix box so that when a customer sends me requests with SOAP or XML my system accepts the call on the specific port. Is there a process to do that ? I'm currently running netscape fastract as a web server, I heard I need apache + axis , Are there other options to setup the web services ? thanks Where can I get this new Web Service from SCO ? Is it under their ftp site or I have to pay for it ? http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml;jsessionid=ERBHJ1BYLZ3IUQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=18824984&_requestid=1614593 In spite of the legal circus engulfing The SCO Group--and lingering concerns about the Unix company's future--top executives took the opportunity at the company's annual partner conference in Las Vegas to outline SCO's new Internet and Web services offerings and assert its intent to stay in business. At SCO Forum 2003, SCO announced the delivery of key component of its SCOx Web services initiative--SCOx WebFace Solution Suite 4.0--as well as the SCOsms Web Services API and SCObiz Web Services APIs. The company's SCOx direction and Web services API plans were unveiled last April. The enhanced suite and new APIs, designed to enable partners and customers to migrate legacy Unix applications to a services-oriented architecture, consists of the WebFace Browser Application Platform and WebFace Studio development platform. SCO's Web servic...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6
The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6. How do I know? I donno, but it feels and seems so. I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6. The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen: 255191 files were encountered 167 files were excluded 9 files were not checked because the hard disk file had been modified by a program since it was backed up 2 files were not checked for various reasons 28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.) 226143 files verified successfully Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min. To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file: [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE real 0m58.59s user 0m1.72s sys 0m10.96s And to see how many directories had to be read: [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l 23745 Bob -- Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus. Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS). On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote: > The speed of the SCO ...

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching
Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives the wrong time. E...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

bootable diskettes for SCO Unix 5.0.4
Hello, Where could I find, make or download the bootable diskettes for installing SCO Unix 5.0.4? I have the CD for installation and the license numbers but I can't boot from the CD. What can I do, please? Thanks Desperate34 <desperate34@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > Where could I find, make or download the bootable diskettes for >installing SCO Unix 5.0.4? I have the CD for installation and the >license numbers but I can't boot from the CD. What can I do, please? >Thanks see http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec2.html#installdisk and http://aplawrence.com/SCO...

Apache 2.0.50 SCO Unix osr 5
El tema es as=ED. Baj=E9 el apache 2.0.50 de ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols , lo instal=E9, y luego de realizar las correspondientes configuraciones, quiero correr ./httpd2 desde /usr/lib/apache2/bin , y me arroja el siguiente error: dynamic linker : ./httpd2 : error opening /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 illed No encuentro en el Unix esa librer=EDa, ni la encontr=E9 en el ftp de SCO. Alguien tiene idea de d=F3nde conseguirlas? Martin, I don't speak Spanish and most members of this forum probably do not. My understanding is that you're trying to install Apache. What is your operating system version? Type and enter: uname -X Report back with the line labeled Release =3D. You probably need to install other patches or modules before installing Apache, but selecting the correct modules depends upon the version. Mark Martin wrote: > El tema es as=ED. Baj=E9 el apache 2.0.50 de > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols , lo instal=E9, y luego de > realizar las correspondientes configuraciones, quiero correr ./httpd2 > desde /usr/lib/apache2/bin , y me arroja el siguiente error: > > dynamic linker : ./httpd2 : error opening /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 > illed > > No encuentro en el Unix esa librer=EDa, ni la encontr=E9 en el ftp de > SCO. > Alguien tiene idea de d=F3nde conseguirlas? "mbennett" <mbennett@claritysoftwaresystems.com> wrote in message news:1154956941.259359.132570@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... Ma...

SCO UNIX 3.2.4 vs SCO OS4/5 device driver compatibility
Greetings! The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI ne2000). Any advice, comments or directions would be fantastic. Regards, Stephen Spencer Lawrence, KS Stephen Spencer wrote: > The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 > system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into > virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding > network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. > > The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI > ne2000). There was an NE2K driver for 3.2v4.x ("nat"). Note that it was notorious for not working well with clones. I also don't know if it had ever heard of PCI. The lowest-end NIC emulated by VMware virtualization is an AMD PCnet-PCI. The "pnt" driver for that did exist and did support PCI versions back in 3.2v4.x. I haven't actually tested the combination of 3.2v4.x + "pnt" + VMware. It does work with OSR5 + VMware. You can use the free VMware Player for this purpose. I don't know what NIC hardware is emulated by Xen, KVM, Hyper-V, etc. Hmmmm. The "pn...

SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5 system/network settings
*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com *** Dear enlightened experts! Please, sorry for my bad English. I have decided to try to disturb you by my question. I have an Oracle 7.2.2.4 running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2,SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5. We tried to begin to work via SQL*Net2, SQL*Net1 currently in use and will stay on. But when Oracle session has been established, it breaks in some seconds with ORA 03113 Error "end of file on communication channel". It notices, that this is preceded with switching of port in status FIN_WAIT2 on a server side. We've obser...

SCO 5 / SCO 6 Drivers
What is the difference between drivers for ancient SCO OpenServer 5 and SCO 6? Is it at all possible to get an SCO 5 driver to run on SCO 6? (Source not available). I suspect I shouldn't touch this with a barge pole. On Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:00:20 PM UTC+1, roberth...@yahoo.com wrote: > What is the difference between drivers for ancient SCO OpenServer 5 and SCO 6? > > Is it at all possible to get an SCO 5 driver to run on SCO 6? (Source not available). > > I suspect I shouldn't touch this with a barge pole. I think that SCO OpenServer 5 was based on...

SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5 system/network settings and Oracle
Dear enlightened experts! Please, sorry for my bad English. I have decided to try to disturb you by my question. I have an Oracle 7.2.2.4 running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2,SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5. We tried to begin to work via SQL*Net2, SQL*Net1 currently in use and will stay on. But when Oracle session has been established, it breaks in some seconds with ORA 03113 Error "end of file on communication channel". It notices, that this is preceded with switching of port in status FIN_WAIT2 on a server side. We've observed it on all servers, irrespective of operating system, Oracle vers...

Printing on a DP-301P Print server SCO Unix OSR 5.0.7
How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network. I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e. /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ? Any help would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks Enrique "Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:X77Qi.59349$YL5.31497@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net... > How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 > ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network. > > I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no > luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e. > /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ? > > Any help would be greatly appreciate it. > > Thanks > > Enrique > I can ping 192.168.2.17 ...here: /# ping 192.168.2.17 PING 192.168.2.17 (192.168.2.17): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=2.522 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.086 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.283 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1.330 ms 64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. > > I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box > to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( > Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? I would dump SCO for a recent Linux distro. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? I would spend $100 to add 512 MB of RAM. More is better. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote: > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Linux, of course. I'd go with debian for a server. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? Databases want RAM. at 64MB, your database will be unusably slo...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

Printing issues with SCO UNIX v6.0.0 vs v5.0.7 and prior
>I have a custom database application, written in CADOL, that previously worked FLAWLESSLY on versions of SCO, prior to v6.0.0 . It doesn't matter if I print directly to the HW port or via the spooler, the job either never finishes or doesn't print at all. Jobs via the spooler, are actually worse than direct to port. I have included the ENV variables we use and also more info below. The ENV variables that are set up in the > .profile. > > DEV1=/usr/propac/printfile; export DEV1 > DEV2=/dev/tty1a; export DEV2 > PRINTER1=C0L0hplaser; export PRINTER1 > PRINTER2=C0L0STD1096; export PRINTER2 > hplaser=SPOOL; export hplaser > STD1096=022; export STD1096 > STD1096_I=0002000; export STD1096_I > STD1096_O=; export STD1096_O > STD1096_C=004075; export STD1096_C > STD1096_L=; export STD1096_L > > These above statements set up 2 printers in our application. The > first is a networked Laser printer and the 2nd is a serial printer > hooked up to port tty1a, running 9600 baud with xon/xoff protocol. > In the application(character based), the user selects printer #1 or > #2 and off to the printer the job goes. Also, the hplaser printer is > defined and configured in the spooler using the scoadmin printers >...

/var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.4Eb/usr/adm/syslog missing
I just found that my /var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.4Eb/usr/adm/syslog file has been missing with no reasons. I maybe because of that I have some errors in HDD. How do I check if the log daemon is running correctly? Thanks, Chalawal "Chalawal Maliwan" <chalawal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:98cf9888.0503270745.1eae70af@posting.google.com... > I just found that my /var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.4Eb/usr/adm/syslog > file has been missing with no reasons. I maybe because of that I have > some errors in HDD. How do I check if the log daemon is running > correctly? > > Thanks, > Chalawal If your getting HD errors, then it is not because of the missing 'syslog' file. It's more likely the missing file is the 'result of' the HD errors. That file simply acts as a receptacle for vaious system messages. You can try re-creating it with - ' > syslog' from within it's home directory, then try re-booting. You must be logged in as root to do this. I would certainly make sure I have a good, verified backup of everything that's important before doing anything. If you have HDD errors, things can go from bad to worse, and you certainly want to be able to recover. Good luck. Thanks, I will have to make a backup soon. It's got superblock and inode errors. The screen runs all the time with those messages. Chalawal "J P" <piperent@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<GpB1e.3510$oy3.11@newssvr3...

Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6
Hi, I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than java 1.3 for 5.0.6. I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try to run 'java' # java -version dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 Killed Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith On 13 Jul, 16:17, crym...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but > they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than > java 1.3 for 5.0.6. > > I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they > install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try > to run 'java' > > # java -version > dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 > Killed > > Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does > anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 > > Any help would be much appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Keith Keith, Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0. John On 17 Jul, 08:...

Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6?
I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? I'm lost. Thanks! jf jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: > I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data > off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and > ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I > have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). > > When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K > > Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or > can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? > > I'm lost. > > Thanks! > > jf Does the antique drive have *ANY* networking on its OS? Can you transfer the data over the network, via rcp or tar over an rlogin or somehting? On Fri, Feb 29, 2008, jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: >I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data >off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and >ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I >...

samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio on SCO 5.0.6
Will this run on this version of SCO? Where can I find documentation to install it? Brent Bolin wrote: > Will this run on this version of SCO? I guess you mean the one at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a with gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > Where can I find documentation to install it? What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? I'd extract the VOL files from cpio archive and use custom to install them. (actually I prefer to use `scoadmin software` but YMMV). man cpio man custom Then I'd read whatever man pages are in the VOLs and/or the samba 3.0 web-site docs. Presumably all the above is known to you and I have missed your real question. If so, sorry. -- RGB On Dec 9, 9:19=A0am, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBr...@spamweary.invalid> wrote: > Brent Bolin wrote: > > Will this run on this version of SCO? > > I guess you mean the one atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/sam= ba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio > > On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a wi= th > =A0 =A0 =A0gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > > > Where can I find documentation to install it? > > What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? >...

Web resources about - FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6 - comp.unix.sco.misc

"Faxing" life from Mars: Exploring life on Mars digitally
An outdated technology may help with the search for life on Mars, electronically sending DNA information back to Earth

5 great faxing apps for iOS and Android
Like it or not, faxing is still alive and kicking. No need to get a fax machine though instead get any of these five apps for faxing and receiving ...

Cloud VOIP Faxing Lives On in Health Care With Faxcom Anywhere
Barnes Healthcare Services uses VOIP-based faxing to receive medical equipment orders from doctors and hospitals. - In the age of electronic ...

Faxing News, Video and Gossip - Gawker
Looks like Japan Never Got the Memo about Fax Machines.

The Half of the Secure-Faxing Equation Your Customers Are Probably Neglecting
Your financial-industry customers are likely neglecting half of the secure faxing equation: storage at rest. Here's how to help them enhance ...

FAXing in 1843
By 2016, it is evident the FAX machine has peaked. Sure, you still see a few. There are even services that will let you send and receive FAXes ...

Securely streamline your enterprise faxing needs today!
Create a fully customizable and flexible solution for security, compliance and business efficiency with the Biscom FAXCOM solution. Learn More. ...

3D Faxing: The Natural Evolution of 3D Printing?
We've already heard a lot about 3D printing . But what about 3D faxing? The technology startup AIO Robotics is planning to create an all-in-one ...

5 great faxing apps for iOS and Android
Like it or not, faxing is still alive and kicking. No need to get a fax machine though instead get any of these five apps for faxing and receiving ...

Aculab Adds Faxing to Cloud Platform
... for fax alone poses a large CapEx spend, and does not scale down to the SMB space in a cost effective manner. In response, Aculab added faxing ...