Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7

I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers.  But I have
come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5,
5.0.6 and 5.0.7.  You can only get the "source" files which you "must"
compile in order to create the "rsync."  These seems to require that
you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need.

Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the
levels I need?
0
yveslec (35)

smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):
| I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers.  But I have
| come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5,
| 5.0.6 and 5.0.7.  You can only get the "source" files which you "must"
| compile in order to create the "rsync."  These seems to require that
| you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need.
|
| Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the
| levels I need?

Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
5.0.5, and 5.0.6.  Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at
www.aljex.com/bkw.

--
JP
0
On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
> smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):
> | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav=
> | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5,
> | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. =A0You can only get the "source" files which you "must=
"
> | compile in order to create the "rsync." =A0These seems to require that
> | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need.
> |
> | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the
> | levels I need?
>
> Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
> 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. =A0Binary afavilable on Brian White's page atwww.aljex.=
com/bkw.

> --
> JP

No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer.  Got the OpenSSH from
the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
found.)  When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
refused.

What can I do now?
0
yveslec (35)
8/21/2009 6:42:17 PM
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009, smlunatick wrote:
>On Aug 18, 7:37�pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
>> smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):
>> | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. �But I have
>> | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5,
>> | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. �You can only get the "source" files which you "must"
>> | compile in order to create the "rsync." �These seems to require that
>> | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need.
>> |
>> | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the
>> | levels I need?
>>
>> Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
>> 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. �Binary afavilable on Brian White's page atwww.aljex.com/bkw.
>>
>> --
>> JP
>
>No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer.  Got the OpenSSH from
>the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
>found.)  When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
>refused.
>
>What can I do now?

I have a COFF binary of rsync that JPR built for me when I was at a client
site that didn't have a compiler.  You can get from our anonymous ftp site,
rename it rsync, and put it someplace in your PATH.

	ftp://ftp.celestial.com/tmp/rsync.conf

I originally used this on a 5.0.4 system, and used it for a while before
building a current version under the OpenPKG portable packaging system on
our 5.0.6a development system (running on a CentOS 5 system under a VMware
virtual machine).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

War is the health of the state. -- Ralph Bourne
0
bill5504 (468)
8/21/2009 8:05:27 PM

smlunatick wrote:
> On Aug 18, 7:37 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
>
>> smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):
>> | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers.  But I have
>> | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5,
>> | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7.  You can only get the "source" files which you "must"
>> | compile in order to create the "rsync."  These seems to require that
>> | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need.
>> |
>> | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the
>> | levels I need?
>>
>> Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
>> 5.0.5, and 5.0.6.  Binary afavilable on Brian White's page atwww.aljex.com/bkw.
>>
>> --
>> JP
>>

> No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer.  Got the OpenSSH from
> the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
> found.)  When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
> refused.
>
> What can I do now?

1) You don't need ssh to use rsync.

2) If you want ssh and aren't up to getting everything installed to
compile it (it would be a lot of packages and os updates on 5.0.5), you
should install one of the custom-installable packages from sco. Even
that will first require several other update packages installed first
unless you use one of the really old ssh packages.

--
bkw

0
brian109 (760)
8/22/2009 3:42:45 AM
On Aug 21, 11:42=A0pm, "Brian K. White" <br...@aljex.com> wrote:
> smlunatick wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 7:37 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
>
> >> smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):

> >> Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
> >> 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. =A0Binary afavilable on Brian White's page atwww.alj=
ex.com/bkw.

> >> --
> >> JP
>
> > No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer. =A0Got the OpenSSH from
> > the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
> > found.) =A0When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
> > refused.
>
> > What can I do now?
>
> 1) You don't need ssh to use rsync.
>
> 2) If you want ssh and aren't up to getting everything installed to
> compile it (it would be a lot of packages and os updates on 5.0.5), you
> should install one of the custom-installable packages from sco. Even
> that will first require several other update packages installed first
> unless you use one of the really old ssh packages.
>
> --
> bkw

Seconded, or thirded. The ancient SSH packages should *not* be used,
they are likely to have old SSH bugs in them. Getting any OpenServer 5
system up to OSS646c opens up a lot of usable tools to be installed,
such as a working and cleanly built OpenSSH package.
0
nkadel (705)
8/22/2009 8:15:53 PM
On Aug 22, 4:42=A0am, "Brian K. White" <br...@aljex.com> wrote:
> smlunatick wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 7:37 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
>
> >> smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700):

> >> Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4,
> >> 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. =A0Binary afavilable on Brian White's page atwww.alj=
ex.com/bkw.

> >> --
> >> JP
>
> > No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer. =A0Got the OpenSSH from
> > the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
> > found.) =A0When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
> > refused.
>
> > What can I do now?
>
> 1) You don't need ssh to use rsync.
>
> 2) If you want ssh and aren't up to getting everything installed to
> compile it (it would be a lot of packages and os updates on 5.0.5), you
> should install one of the custom-installable packages from sco. Even
> that will first require several other update packages installed first
> unless you use one of the really old ssh packages.
>
> --
> bkw

rsync fails constantly with:

rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)

1-  Both with the version I compiled on a SCO 5.0.7 and the
"precompiled" version I was recommended.  Therefore you can not state
that "rsync" does not need 'ssh' when an "ssh" error shows up

2 -  I find no pre-compiled version of ssh for version 5.0.5.  I also
would need it for SCO 5.0.6.  I am working on re-doing a multi-site
transfer and need to replace the transfer routine.
0
yveslec (35)
8/24/2009 1:19:49 PM
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009, smlunatick wrote:
>rsync fails constantly with:
>
>rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)

You can also use rsync modules and a daemon process which don't
require using ssh.  The modules allow one to specify hosts
allowed to use the module by IP address, CIDR range, or host name
which is particularly useful when rsync'ing files on a LAN where
the security provided by ssh may not be necessary.

Another advantage of defining modules in the /etc/rsyncd.conf
file is that the modules specify a directory, and the remote end
can only see that directory.  We use this extensively updating
djbdns data files from systems for which we provide secondary
DNS.  We set up a module for each remote system pointing to the
directory on our main djbdns server, and they use rsync to do
updates when their files change.

A modules file might look something like this where the hosts
allow line specifies the IP addresses allowed do do transfers:

[xferdns_cpisi1]
	uid = root
	gid = wheel
	read only = false
	use chroot = yes
	path = /csoft/etc/djbdns/secondary/cpisi1.com
	comment = djbdns update
	hosts allow = 192.168.234.2, 192.168.234.8, 192.168.20.0/24
	hosts deny = *

The remote system would then update the data file with a command
such as this:

	rsync data desthost::xferdns_cpisi1/

All normal rsync options apply when doing transfers to modules
including recursion.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a
shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.  -- John Adams
0
bill5504 (468)
8/24/2009 3:06:08 PM

smlunatick wrote:
> On Aug 22, 4:42 am, "Brian K. White" <br...@aljex.com> wrote:
>
>> smlunatick wrote:

>>> No ssh was installed on my 5.0.5 test computer.  Got the OpenSSH from
>>> the same place as the rsync but it will not compile (make note
>>> found.)  When to attempt to get the GNU system but "connection"
>>> refused.
>>>
>>> What can I do now?
>>>
>> 1) You don't need ssh to use rsync.
>>
>> 2) If you want ssh and aren't up to getting everything installed to
>> compile it (it would be a lot of packages and os updates on 5.0.5), you
>> should install one of the custom-installable packages from sco. Even
>> that will first require several other update packages installed first
>> unless you use one of the really old ssh packages.
>>
>> --
>> bkw
>>

> rsync fails constantly with:
>
> rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)
>

> 1-  Both with the version I compiled on a SCO 5.0.7 and the
> "precompiled" version I was recommended.  Therefore you can not state
> that "rsync" does not need 'ssh' when an "ssh" error shows up
>
> 2 -  I find no pre-compiled version of ssh for version 5.0.5.  I also
> would need it for SCO 5.0.6.  I am working on re-doing a multi-site
> transfer and need to replace the transfer routine.

If you use command line arguments that tell rsync to use ssh, then of
course it will try to.
Most (not all) builds of openssh will be compile-time configured to use
ssh by default, but reagrdless of the default, you can tell it to use
anything you want or nothing via command line options.
"man rsync" solves the apparent mystery of 1.

As for 2. How hard did you look? I mean gee google...

ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/opensrc/openssh-4.2p1/
ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/openssh-3.4p1-VOLS.tar
http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#ssh
ftp://ftp.jpr.com/pub/openssh4osr5.tar.bz2

There are yet others scattered around, celestial.com, zenez.com,
armory.com, even more less well known and less advisable, but they are
there and google finds them. These are just the few that come up
immediately easily. I mean, if you'd said "I googled and got this
confusing pile of different possible packages, which one should I use?"
That would be a more understandable question.

Unfortunately I almost can't help say which of above to use, as there
are pro's & cons to each and I don't know what your priorities nor your
risk factors are.

As I said if you just want to use rsync you don't even need ssh at all.
You may need ssh after all if you need to reach out to another box as a
client and you don't have control of that box and that box only offers
ssh, but you haven't said any such details.

If that's the case and you just need ssh in any form in order to do
rsync over ssh , and not to provide a secure form of internet-facing
access to your box, then you can install the really old sco package that
will require few or no updates as it was built on & for 5.0.5 directly.

One gotcha though, the old sco packages had a buggy prngd start script
that didn't handle a pid/lock file well and could leave you with no ssh
after any reboot, most especially after ungraceful reboots which is
exactly when you most need working remote access to recover from
whatever the problem was. So don't rely on that as your only remote
access to your box. Mine, jpr's, and the newer sco packages are
reliable. JPR's is probably the latest ssh version available, the sco
package installs via custom which is easier. In either case you'll need
to install oss646c at the very least first, which itself will require
installing at least rs505a before that. Read the readme's, don't skip
anything.

--
bkw

0