Moving Progress database from one SCO server to another.

Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4
server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have
a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the
Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application
on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes.

Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to
work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem?

TIA

Al

0
albracco (20)

AB typed (on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:03:57PM -0700):
| Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4
| server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have
| a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the
| Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application
| on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes.
|
| Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to
| work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem?

There are a few TAs pertaining to Progress.  Have you read any of them?

--
JP
0
On Oct 31, 2:03=A0pm, AB <albra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4
> server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have
> a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the
> Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application
> on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes.
>
> Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to
> work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Al

It may be permissions, but did they go through registering the program
again?  If this is a really old installation they'll almost certainly
need to contact Progress and pay them for new keys.  Progress isn't
likely to do this for free, but if they're abandoning the old server
they probably won't need to buy the entire database again.

Mark
0
mbennett