Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my remote printing problem on
Open Server 3.0. I also enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

I am however still unable to print. Heres where I am.

I first tried the built in lpd and although as far as I can tell it
appears to be set up correctly. Here is the response to every print request.

> # lp -d RAW /etc/hosts
> request id is RAW-12
> lp: connect: Connection refused
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
sure where.

I decided to try another approach.

I next tried Brian White's universal printer script, which uses netcat.
I have obtained a coff version of net cat from Tony Lawrence's site and
it appears to run on this version of Open Server, at least I get the
usage message when I run netcat.

I installed everything and it all appears correct. However when I go
into the sysadmsh to set up a new printer it fails when I get to the
point of specifying the interface script. I can browse the list
interfaces in models/ but if I select one from the menu or type in the
name I get this error;

> ERROR: You must specify the name of an existing file.

I apparently have some additional permission problems somewhere. Any
help would be appreciated.

--
Rob Steinmetz
0

Rob wrote (on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:08:21PM -0500):
> >lp: connect: Connection refused
> >jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
> actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
> sure where.

Google gave me this in a FreeBSD group:

"Another possibility is that the lpr program is not set-user-id to root,
set-group-id to group daemon. This can be checked with

    % ls -lg /usr/ucb/lpr"

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM       awacs@ziskind.us
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law           http://ziskind.us
Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com
awacs1 (143)
7/26/2006 12:20:14 AM
Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
> Rob wrote (on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:08:21PM -0500):
>>> lp: connect: Connection refused
>>> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>> The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
>> actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
>> sure where.
>
> Google gave me this in a FreeBSD group:
>
> "Another possibility is that the lpr program is not set-user-id to root,
> set-group-id to group daemon. This can be checked with
>
>     % ls -lg /usr/ucb/lpr"

Thanks for the thought.

Open Server is a Sys V based Unix. lp and lpr are the same binary and
are located in /usr/bin

# ls -ld lp lpr
---x--s--x   2 bin      lp         67618 Jul 21 22:52 lp
---x--s--x   2 bin      lp         67618 Jul 21 22:52 lpr

--
Rob
0
Rob wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my remote printing problem on
> Open Server 3.0. I also enjoyed the walk down memory lane.
>
> I am however still unable to print. Heres where I am.
>
> I first tried the built in lpd and although as far as I can tell it
> appears to be set up correctly. Here is the response to every print
> request.
>
>> # lp -d RAW /etc/hosts
>> request id is RAW-12
>> lp: connect: Connection refused
>> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
> actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
> sure where.

Still banging away on this. I'm pretty sure it can be made to work, if I
only had a brain.

> I decided to try another approach.
>
> I next tried Brian White's universal printer script, which uses netcat.
> I have obtained a coff version of net cat from Tony Lawrence's site and
> it appears to run on this version of Open Server, at least I get the
> usage message when I run netcat.
>
> I installed everything and it all appears correct. However when I go
> into the sysadmsh to set up a new printer it fails when I get to the
> point of specifying the interface script. I can browse the list
> interfaces in models/ but if I select one from the menu or type in the
> name I get this error;
>
>> ERROR: You must specify the name of an existing file.
>
> I apparently have some additional permission problems somewhere. Any
> help would be appreciated.

I solved the add printer problem. the sysadmsh add printer script
requires the absolute pathname for the model, even though it lists the
existing models in /usr/spool/lp/model in a help menu and allows you to
select form the list.

The joys of old SCO products.
0
robnospam1 (10)