Printing on a DP-301P Print server SCO Unix OSR 5.0.7

How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 ?
The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.

I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
/dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Enrique

0
atk6 (176)

"Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17
> ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.
>
> I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
> luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
> /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Enrique

I can ping 192.168.2.17 ...here:

/# ping 192.168.2.17
PING 192.168.2.17 (192.168.2.17): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=2.522 ms
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.086 ms
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.283 ms
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1.330 ms
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1.222 ms
64 bytes from mylan17 (192.168.2.17): icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=0.075 ms

0
atk6 (176)
10/13/2007 5:25:43 PM
"Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17
> ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.
>
> I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
> luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
> /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Enrique

I'm a newcomver to SCO, but I think that I can help:

Enter a name for your printer in the /etc/hosts file,  such as:

192.168.2.17    Myprinter

Run scoadmin, then select > Printers.  Choose HP Network Printer Manager.
Choose 6) Add printer to spooler.  Enter the name of your printer (such as
Myprinter).  You'll be asked to add a printer definition, such as
HPLaserJet.  Once configured, Choose 4) Verify network printer connectivity,
then 5) Verify network printer operation.

Why does this fall under a heading titled "HP Network Printer Manager"? I
don't know.

HTH.

On Oct 13, 3:10 pm, "Arby" <nomailple...@myaddress.com> wrote:
> "Enrique Arredondo" <a...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17
> > ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.
>
> > I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
> > luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
> > /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?
>
> > Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Enrique
>
> I'm a newcomver to SCO, but I think that I can help:
>
> Enter a name for your printer in the /etc/hosts file,  such as:
>
> 192.168.2.17    Myprinter
>
> Run scoadmin, then select > Printers.  Choose HP Network Printer Manager.
> Choose 6) Add printer to spooler.  Enter the name of your printer (such as
> Myprinter).  You'll be asked to add a printer definition, such as
> HPLaserJet.  Once configured, Choose 4) Verify network printer connectivity,
> then 5) Verify network printer operation.
>
> Why does this fall under a heading titled "HP Network Printer Manager"? I
> don't know.
>
> HTH.

Don't do that.  Not that it absolutely won't work, but "netcat" is a
far smarter choice.

See http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html

0
pcunix (620)
10/13/2007 7:28:38 PM
>> How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17
>> ? The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.
>>
>> I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
>> luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
>> /dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Enrique
>>

> I'm a newcomver to SCO, but I think that I can help:
>
> Enter a name for your printer in the /etc/hosts file,  such as:
>
> 192.168.2.17    Myprinter
>
> Run scoadmin, then select > Printers.  Choose HP Network Printer Manager.
> Choose 6) Add printer to spooler.  Enter the name of your printer (such as
> Myprinter).  You'll be asked to add a printer definition, such as
> HPLaserJet.  Once configured, Choose 4) Verify network printer
> connectivity, then 5) Verify network printer operation.
>

> Why does this fall under a heading titled "HP Network Printer Manager"? I
> don't know.
>
> HTH.

I am not a newcomer to SCO, and never use hpnp.
I use this,
http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpnc

Reference material...
http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html

http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/935.html

http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/2411.html

<quote>
>We use the HP stuff built in to SCO and have never had any problems
>printing.

Hmmmm... HPNP.  No garbage left in /tmp after each print job?  No
spooler lockups when printing a large number (>500) of simultaneous
small files?  No difficulties autoswitching between Postscribble and
PCL?  No failure to restart if rebooted while printing?  No exessive
LAN traffic if printers with one model of JetDirect card ran out of
printer and HPNP would poll the printer thousands of times per second?
</quote>

<even more importat quote>
There's a lot of information here. It's all simple, it's all step by step,
but you need to READ it. Don't just skim through this and start typing away
without any understanding. READ.
</quote>

<even more importat quote>
There's a lot of information here. It's all simple, it's all step by step,
but you need to READ it. Don't just skim through this and start typing away
without any understanding. READ.
</quote>

But even without doing that, there are 2 preferrable options befor using the
hpnp stuff, and even then if it comes down to using hpnp, you still don't
just use it as-is but should "fix" it.

1st choice) Use the above Net script.
....with either netcat or rlpr, whichever your print server supports. If it
supports both then whichever it is more reliable with. Some support raw tcp
(netcat) but lock up a few times a day or week, while being relatively
stable at lpr/lpd. That's generally the cheaper ones. For HP and Intel at
least, netcat is reliable.

2nd choice) Use the native lpd/lpr support built in in sco.
Most print servers support it, and it's more trouble-free and reliable than
the hpnp stuff. But it's got it's issues that make it less desireable than
netcat. You can't use a printer interface script on a lpd printer, and so if
you want one, you have to make a 2nd printer with the device set to
/dev/null and edit it's interface script to capture all data and send it to
"|lp -d <the 1st printer>" . Messy and non-bvious for future admins and
about the same work as netcat (more work than my version of netcat above,
since I made it so you don't have to edit any scripts, just a single,
clearly defined, with examples, single line per printer in a config file.
To use the native lpd/lpr support:
First create a hostname in /etc/hosts for the ip of the printer (or define
it in dns if you happen to have a local dns server and the sco box is
configured to look at it.)
Then: Scoadmin, Printers, Printer manager,
System menu,
  Print services...
    Enable this:  [*] Remote UNIX Print Service Enabled
Printer menu,
  Add Remote -> UNIX
    Host: hostname of print server
    Printer: he lpd queue name on the print server
    UN-select this: [*] Use extended remote printing protocol

3rd choice) Use hpnp
....but fix it at least!
mv /etc/getone /etc/getone.disabled
google will tell you why. (google would have told you all this and more
already had you consulted it, this is all faq faq faq...)

4th choice) Install cups from osr507mp5 if thats an option.
This is last because it's way larger and more complex than a simple netcat
script, and is a massive change to the system, so any number of problems,
some large and obvious, some maddeningly subtle and hard to track down, may
appear from such a change.

Personally, I just use the Net script I posted at the top, which is
basically just the netcat recipe right from the FAQ on Tony Lawrences site,
just further enhanced (imo) such that you
o Don't need to edit, or even copy, any scripts.
o Don't need to set up a hostname for the printer in /etc/hosts or dns.
o Don't need to enable remote print services (which btw, swaps out the
normal lpr & spooler for lpd versions, which in extremely rare cases causes
problems for some people, so it's a small bonus if you never need to do
that).

You just:
== one-time initial setup:
* Unpack the tar in the root dir.
* Optionally install the rlpr package from the same site if you need to
print via lpd/lpr as well as netat.

== each printer:
* Create a new Local printer (not remote)
  - select "Net" from the list of printer drivers
  - select /dev/null for the device, or type-in if not offered as a
selectable option
* Edit/create a single corresponding line in /etc/printers, examples in
there already to go by.

installing rlpr may require installing a few other updates & supporting
packages first, which are only things that should be there _anyways_, but
the rlpnc tar comes with netcat and is ready to print via netcat out of the
box on almost any version, with no other supporing or prerequisite installs
needed first. Just untar & go.

The other options are good to know about for special situations where for
whatever reson you can't set up netcat. Like, no internet available at the
site but very slow and cranky dialup to a pc which is too busy being used by
others. Even on really old boxes I practically never have to resort to
options 2 or 3 or 4. There is also a 5, install "print services for unix" on
any windows2k/xp/nt/vista machine and use either my Net script and rlpr, or
the native sco lpd/lpr support to print to that. There is even a 6, install
samba and print to windows, or some especially bad print servers that only
support windows, via samba (smbclient). You make a network printer interface
script practically identical to netcat or rlpr, except with a smbclient
command at the end instead of a netcat or rlpr command.
there is eve a ... the list goes on, like some print servers can accept jobs
via ftp and email, both of which can be done from a printer interfac script
same as netcat & rlpr. But by the time you get down to those sorts of
options even I would probably use hpnp before doing oddball stuff like that.
It's just good to know _about_ everything, so that you choose what to do
correctly, not out of ignorance.

Brian K. White    brian@aljex.com    http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!

0
brian109 (760)
10/14/2007 8:42:36 AM
Brian K. White wrote:
> To use the native lpd/lpr support:
> First create a hostname in /etc/hosts for the ip of the printer (or define
> it in dns if you happen to have a local dns server and the sco box is
> configured to look at it.)
> Then: Scoadmin, Printers, Printer manager,
> System menu,
>   Print services...
>     Enable this:  [*] Remote UNIX Print Service Enabled
> Printer menu,
>   Add Remote -> UNIX
>     Host: hostname of print server
>     Printer: the lpd queue name on the print server
>     UN-select this: [*] Use extended remote printing protocol

The OP might be interested to know that I have in the past used the
above procedure successfully with a D-Link DP-301P+. I can't remember
the queue-name used in the DP-301P+ though.
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:20:55 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
<atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>How do a setup a printer that is on my local network with IP 192.168.2.17 ?
>The Unix server is on 192.168.2.7 on the same network.
>
>I tried "scoadmin" looking for something like "add tcp/ip printer" but no
>luck at all. So I'm thinking that I have to create a new port (i.e.
>/dev/lp192.168.2.17) so then I can assign a printer to it right ?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks
>
>Enrique

FWIW, I tried using a DP-301p with netcat on a 5.0.5 system and an HP
LaserJet 4050 printer.  It sort-of worked, but I had constant problems
with dropped print jobs (print job went out, but never made it to the
printer).  Finally gave up and replaced it with an HP JetDirect print
server (still using the same netcat setup) and have had no problems
since.

--
Richard Seeder
0

Printing issues with SCO UNIX v6.0.0 vs v5.0.7 and prior
>I have a custom database application, written in CADOL, that previously worked FLAWLESSLY on versions of SCO, prior to v6.0.0 . It doesn't matter if I print directly to the HW port or via the spooler, the job either never finishes or doesn't print at all. Jobs via the spooler, are actually worse than direct to port. I have included the ENV variables we use and also more info below. The ENV variables that are set up in the > .profile. > > DEV1=/usr/propac/printfile; export DEV1 > DEV2=/dev/tty1a; export DEV2 > PRINTER1=C0L0hplaser; export PRINTER1 > PRINTER2=C0L0STD1096; export PRINTER2 > hplaser=SPOOL; export hplaser > STD1096=022; export STD1096 > STD1096_I=0002000; export STD1096_I > STD1096_O=; export STD1096_O > STD1096_C=004075; export STD1096_C > STD1096_L=; export STD1096_L > > These above statements set up 2 printers in our application. The > first is a networked Laser printer and the 2nd is a serial printer > hooked up to port tty1a, running 9600 baud with xon/xoff protocol. > In the application(character based), the user selects printer #1 or > #2 and off to the printer the job goes. Also, the hplaser printer is > defined and configured in the spooler using the scoadmin printers >...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

Printing from SCO Unix to an NT print Queue
Hello, We have an application running on SCO Unix. We are trying to print reports from this program to a print queue on a server running Windows Server 2003. We are able to print to the desired printer, but the formatting is incorrect. We need the output to be set at 17 Characters Per Inch (CPI) but it is printing at 10 CPI. I have tried to change the settings on the Unix box (/etc/lp/interfaces/* and /etc/lp/printers/*) but these changes don't seem to make any difference. I'm guessing that when the print job is sent, the Unix system isn't processing these config files and simply passes the print request to our windows server. Due to limitations in the windows drivers, we are not able to set CPI and such on the windows server. Another option would be to set up the Unix queue to print directly to IP, but the jobs hang in the Unix print queue when I try to do this. Does anyone know if it is possible to have the Unix system format the print job before sending it to the windows print queue or know how to successfully set up an IP printer? Thanks! On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 darrell.brown@ensignenergy.com wrote: > Hello, > > We have an application running on SCO Unix. We are trying to print > reports from this program to a print queue on a server running Windows > Server 2003. We are able to print to the desired printer, but the > formatting is incorrect. We need the output to be set at 17 Characters > Per Inch (CPI) but it is printing at 10 CPI. I ha...

Printing woes with print servers on 5.0.7
Greetings. I just setup two 5.0.7 systems with MP3, both on IBM eSeries servers. On one system, all printing is fine. This is the "smaller" system--25 users vs 50 users. On the larger system, I have tried two different print servers: Lantronix and now Linksys. I have never had problems with Lantronix before. The Linksys EPSX3 3-port parallel print servers are now attached (two of them). Both have the same problem. Symptoms: Send a single or maybe two jobs and printing is fine. Send multiple jobs and only one prints. The rest stay in the queue. restart the lpd process and the first one prints again. No communication problems exist (e.g. ping, telnet, lpstat all work fine.) Could lpd be running out of processes or file handles? I say this because the problem only exists on the larger server. I know that all the system tunables are "supposed" to be dynamic now, but one never knows. I activated sar and a sar -v shows: 11:48:37 proc-sz ov inod-sz ov file-sz ov lock-sz (-v) 11:48:37 sar data collection enabled 12:00:00 205/ 238 0 753/5222 0 884/1024 0 360/ 512 12:20:00 205/ 238 0 749/5222 0 880/1024 0 354/ 512 12:40:00 208/ 238 0 760/5222 0 857/1024 0 327/ 512 13:00:00 205/ 238 0 755/5222 0 850/1024 0 318/ 512 13:20:00 188/ 238 0 705/5222 0 781/1024 0 276/ 512 What other sar options should I use? lpstat main shows (for printer main) qfhost.queensflowers.com: sending to ...

Apache 2.0.50 SCO Unix osr 5
El tema es as=ED. Baj=E9 el apache 2.0.50 de ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols , lo instal=E9, y luego de realizar las correspondientes configuraciones, quiero correr ./httpd2 desde /usr/lib/apache2/bin , y me arroja el siguiente error: dynamic linker : ./httpd2 : error opening /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 illed No encuentro en el Unix esa librer=EDa, ni la encontr=E9 en el ftp de SCO. Alguien tiene idea de d=F3nde conseguirlas? Martin, I don't speak Spanish and most members of this forum probably do not. My understanding is that you're trying to install Apache. What is your operating system version? Type and enter: uname -X Report back with the line labeled Release =3D. You probably need to install other patches or modules before installing Apache, but selecting the correct modules depends upon the version. Mark Martin wrote: > El tema es as=ED. Baj=E9 el apache 2.0.50 de > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols , lo instal=E9, y luego de > realizar las correspondientes configuraciones, quiero correr ./httpd2 > desde /usr/lib/apache2/bin , y me arroja el siguiente error: > > dynamic linker : ./httpd2 : error opening /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 > illed > > No encuentro en el Unix esa librer=EDa, ni la encontr=E9 en el ftp de > SCO. > Alguien tiene idea de d=F3nde conseguirlas? "mbennett" <mbennett@claritysoftwaresystems.com> wrote in message news:1154956941.259359.132570@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... Ma...

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. > > I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box > to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( > Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? I would dump SCO for a recent Linux distro. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? I would spend $100 to add 512 MB of RAM. More is better. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote: > > Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Linux, of course. I'd go with debian for a server. > > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be > database intensive? Databases want RAM. at 64MB, your database will be unusably slo...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

SCO 5v6.0.0 and Zonet ZPS3611 Print Server
Hopefully someone will be kind enough (or patient enough) to help. I have been able to set up network HP Laser Printers on this system without too much trouble, but now I'm attempting to set up an Epson LQ 570 with a Zonet ZPS3611 Print Server. I'll admit that I'm a novice at using this operating system, so, detailed instructions would really be appreciated. Frank Frank typed (on Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 03:05:28PM -0800): | Hopefully someone will be kind enough (or patient enough) to help. | | I have been able to set up network HP Laser Printers on this system without | too much trouble, but now I'm attempting to set up an Epson LQ 570 with a | Zonet ZPS3611 Print Server. I'll admit that I'm a novice at using this | operating system, so, detailed instructions would really be appreciated. Never heard of that particular print server, but I should think the instructions on page 60 of the user Manual, which is for Unixware, should be fine for OSR 6. -- JP "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jpr@jpr.com> wrote in message news:20120118002423.GC24552@jpradley.jpr.com... > Frank typed (on Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 03:05:28PM -0800): > | Hopefully someone will be kind enough (or patient enough) to help. > | > | I have been able to set up network HP Laser Printers on this system > without > | too much trouble, but now I'm attempting to set up an Epson LQ 570 with > a > | Zonet ZPS3611 Print Server. I'll admit tha...

Two parallel ports for printing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 O/S
Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports? N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports gcrook40@gmail.com wrote (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:32:17AM -0700): > Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open > server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of > that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports? > > N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports an add-in parallel card should do the trick. we had three parallel printers for the longest time - on xenix, 3.2v4.2, and OSE 502. I think by 505 we'd ditched the parallel printers for network printers. -- _________________________________________ Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com Actuaries and Employee Benefit Consultants On 2007-05-08, gcrook40@gmail.com <gcrook40@gmail.com> wrote: > Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open > server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of > that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports? What's the problem exactly? Any add-on parallel port card should be configurable to LPT2 so that it doesn't conflict with the on-board port. The problems only arise...

rsync server on SCO 5.0.,7
I want to rsync files to one SCO 5.0.7 server(host) from 3 others (remote). .I have installed the latest rsync from aljex.com. on all servers. I want to run the rsync daemon on the host server. I created the /etc/rsynd.conf file, I modified /etc/inetd.conf to run the rsync daemon. I ran "/etc/init.d/rsyncd enable" and "/etc/init.d/rsyncd start". I just don't think the daemon is running. I do not see it in the list of running processes. When I try to run rsync commands from a remote server, it connects, asks me for a password (it appears to be using ssh) and then fails with the following: sh: rsync: not found rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600) [receiver=3.0.0] Have I missed a step somewhere? My rsyncd.log on the host server looks like this: 2008/09/10 21:06:37 [11201] rsyncd version 3.0.0 starting, listening on port 873 2008/09/10 21:06:37 [11201] bind() failed: Address already in use (address-family 2) 2008/09/10 21:06:37 [11201] unable to bind any inbound sockets on port 873 2008/09/10 21:06:37 [11201] rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at socket.c(535) [receiver=3.0.0] 2008/09/10 21:07:17 [11205] rsyncd version 3.0.0 starting, listening on port 873 2008/09/10 21:07:17 [11205] bind() failed: Address already in use (address-family 2) 2008/09/10 21:07:17 [11205] unable to bind any inbound sockets on port 873 2008/09/10 21:07:17 [112...

FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6
I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish this is much appreciated. Regards, David On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. > >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. &g...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enl...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

serial number sco unix ver 5.7
tolong saya dibantu untuk mendapatkan serial number sco unix ver 5.7 kalo ada dengan cd nya sekalian, trims, mungkin teman2 ada yang masih punya, hubungi saya di 08561094838, setyo setyonieh@gmail.com escribi�: > tolong saya dibantu untuk mendapatkan serial number sco unix ver 5.7 > kalo ada dengan cd nya sekalian, trims, mungkin teman2 ada yang masih > punya, hubungi saya di 08561094838, setyo Obviously. Yes. ...

Synergy 5.7 on SCO Unix 4.2
Hi, I am a total newbie to UNIX and Synergy but I have been asked by a friend to export a database out of a synergy database into windows format. They want to import the data into Sage or MYMOB. I think that the best way to export it is in the form of a CSV file. However any thoughts on how to get it out would appreciate. Is this an easy task? Are there any internal utilities that can be used? ANY help would be great :) thanks Carl. ...

bootable diskettes for SCO Unix 5.0.4
Hello, Where could I find, make or download the bootable diskettes for installing SCO Unix 5.0.4? I have the CD for installation and the license numbers but I can't boot from the CD. What can I do, please? Thanks Desperate34 <desperate34@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > Where could I find, make or download the bootable diskettes for >installing SCO Unix 5.0.4? I have the CD for installation and the >license numbers but I can't boot from the CD. What can I do, please? >Thanks see http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec2.html#installdisk and http://aplawrence.com/SCO...

SCO OSR 5.0.7 and a Onstream ADR2SR
Anyone have a OSR 5.0.7 and a ADR2SR (2 x 60Gb Tape Drives) running? I'm having a config problem with them. They are suppose to work together (Knock on wood), but Im getting "tar: write error"s while using "tar cvf /dev/rStp0 ." to test the configuration. I know that it's not the DELL or the Adaptec causing the problem. I hooked up a smaller HP SureStor DAT to the Configuration and .. zip .. Full Backup - No Problems. Configuration: DELL Poweredge 2650 with PERIC/3-DI (Adaptec 78xx chipset) Addon Adaptec 29160LP (For the Tape Drive) Onstream ADR2SR External T...

SCO unix 5.0.6 web services setup
I need to install the "web services" deal on my unix box so that when a customer sends me requests with SOAP or XML my system accepts the call on the specific port. Is there a process to do that ? I'm currently running netscape fastract as a web server, I heard I need apache + axis , Are there other options to setup the web services ? thanks Where can I get this new Web Service from SCO ? Is it under their ftp site or I have to pay for it ? http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml;jsessionid=ERBHJ1BYLZ3IUQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=18824984&_requestid=1614593 In spite of the legal circus engulfing The SCO Group--and lingering concerns about the Unix company's future--top executives took the opportunity at the company's annual partner conference in Las Vegas to outline SCO's new Internet and Web services offerings and assert its intent to stay in business. At SCO Forum 2003, SCO announced the delivery of key component of its SCOx Web services initiative--SCOx WebFace Solution Suite 4.0--as well as the SCOsms Web Services API and SCObiz Web Services APIs. The company's SCOx direction and Web services API plans were unveiled last April. The enhanced suite and new APIs, designed to enable partners and customers to migrate legacy Unix applications to a services-oriented architecture, consists of the WebFace Browser Application Platform and WebFace Studio development platform. SCO's Web servic...

VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems
Hi, Sorry all, another VMWare question here! I've been trying without success for a couple of days to get a SCO VM system running. I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of Linux based systems which do work fine. The problem is quite weird. Basically, once booted I can "see out", from the SCO box - ping websites, telnet to other local machines etc... In addition from the machine running the VM I can telnet in, browse served Apache pages etc... Problems start when I attempt to connect from other machines on the network - they can ping the SCO VM system, but can't telnet in, or for example Apache doesn't serve pages. It's not completely broken because there is some evidence of a connection on the SCO end, eg. when I telnet I see this :- Trying 10.80.14.205... Connected to 10.80.14.205 (10.80.14.205). Escape character is '^]'. Connection closed by foreign host. If I try to browse an Apache page (default Apache 5.0.7 setup, haven't done anything with it yet) I do see the connection in access_log but nothing gets returned. It strikes of network issues - but as I say I can ping the box and can also telnet out from it. Plus the Linux servers work fine - I've tried everything on DHCP and the Linux servers work fine but not the SCO 5.0.7 one. I've just done a clean install of 5.0.7 to try and resolve the issue. Anyone any pointers? I'm using the default (auto detected) HW AMD PCNet-PCI adapter. Cheers, Stuar...

SCO UNIX 3.2.4 vs SCO OS4/5 device driver compatibility
Greetings! The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI ne2000). Any advice, comments or directions would be fantastic. Regards, Stephen Spencer Lawrence, KS Stephen Spencer wrote: > The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 > system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into > virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding > network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. > > The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI > ne2000). There was an NE2K driver for 3.2v4.x ("nat"). Note that it was notorious for not working well with clones. I also don't know if it had ever heard of PCI. The lowest-end NIC emulated by VMware virtualization is an AMD PCnet-PCI. The "pnt" driver for that did exist and did support PCI versions back in 3.2v4.x. I haven't actually tested the combination of 3.2v4.x + "pnt" + VMware. It does work with OSR5 + VMware. You can use the free VMware Player for this purpose. I don't know what NIC hardware is emulated by Xen, KVM, Hyper-V, etc. Hmmmm. The "pn...

Web resources about - Printing on a DP-301P Print server SCO Unix OSR 5.0.7 - comp.unix.sco.misc

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing box in this matching game
... path in Linken, an elegant puzzler or Meteors are falling, dont get squished in Danger Dodgers . Mr Plumbum Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing ...

Make your own 'Ghostbusters' trap via 3D printing
When ghosts go bump in the night, will you have the right equipment to bust them? Make this replica ghost trap from the original "Ghostbusters" ...

Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030
Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030

Barclays' 'MakerSpaces' offer 3D printing to local businesses
The worlds of banking and technology intersect at many points, but you'd hardly consider 3D printing a shared interest. In Barclays' "MakerSpaces," ...

3D Printing Your Own Braces Works, Is a Terrible Idea
At the age of nine, I became the first kid in my elementary school class to get braces. They did their job, but by the time I left college, I’d ...

Getting it Right by Getting it Wrong: RepRap and the Evolution of 3D Printing
The beginning of the DIY 3D printing movement was a heady time. There was a vision of a post-scarcity world in which everything could and would ...

3-D Printing: Gigi The Macaw Gets First-Ever Titanium Prosthetic Beak (PHOTOS)
Gigi the macaw is the first-ever recipient of the world's first 3-D-printed titanium beak.

Archinaut, A 3D Printing Robot To Make Big Structures In Space
Historically, the only way to get anything into orbit has been by rocket; a process that is massively expensive, cumbersome, and presents a slew ...

Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air ...
Read the rest of Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air