Reinstalling root filesystem only in SCO OpenServer 6.0.0

Hi all,

Let's assume the next situation:

SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u,
u2, u3, ... filesystems on it.

Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it.

Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem
leaving untouched the other filesystems?

This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been
able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0

Many thanks in advance. Best regards,
--
Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
alberto__@__unilogic.es

Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800):
| Hi all,
|
| Let's assume the next situation:
|
| SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u,
| u2, u3, ... filesystems on it.
|
| Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it.
|
| Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem
| leaving untouched the other filesystems?
|
| This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been
| able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0
|
| Many thanks in advance. Best regards,

I always insisted on separate filesystems under OSR 5, but since
reinstalling only the root filesystem seems impossible on OSR 6, I
stopped making separate filesystems altogether.

--
JP
0
On 6 mar, 23:07, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
> Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800):
> | Hi all,
> |
> | Let's assume the next situation:
> |
> | SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u,
> | u2, u3, ... filesystems on it.
> |
> | Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it.
> |
> | Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem
> | leaving untouched the other filesystems?
> |
> | This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been
> | able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0
> |
> | Many thanks in advance. Best regards,
>

> --
> JP

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for your answer.

Is it **really** impossible to reinstall filsystem root only?. When
installing OSR6, there is an advice stating that you can preserve
filesystem's layout in some point afterward. This is the option I
can't find.

Kind regards,
--
Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
alberto__@__unilogic.es
Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:45:37AM -0800):
| On 6 mar, 23:07, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
| > Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800):
| > | Hi all,
| > |
| > | Let's assume the next situation:
| > |
| > | SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u,
| > | u2, u3, ... filesystems on it.
| > |
| > | Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it.
| > |
| > | Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem
| > | leaving untouched the other filesystems?
| > |
| > | This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been
| > | able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0
| > |
| > | Many thanks in advance. Best regards,
| >

| > --
| > JP
|
| Jean-Pierre,
|
| Thank you for your answer.
|
| Is it **really** impossible to reinstall filsystem root only?. When
| installing OSR6, there is an advice stating that you can preserve
| filesystem's layout in some point afterward. This is the option I
| can't find.

I cannnot remember seeing that advice.  Can you be more precise in
quoting it?

--
JP
0
On 10 mar, 18:15, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
> Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:45:37AM -0800):
> | On 6 mar, 23:07, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
> | > Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800):
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > --
> | > JP
> |
> | Jean-Pierre,
> |
> | Thank you for your answer.
> |
> | Is it **really** impossible to reinstall filsystem root only?. When
> | installing OSR6, there is an advice stating that you can preserve
> | filesystem's layout in some point afterward. This is the option I
> | can't find.
>
> I cannnot remember seeing that advice. =A0Can you be more precise in
> quoting it?
>
> --
> JP

Hi Jean-Pierre,

My apologies for the long delay to answer. Very busy these weeks...

When the installation procedure arrives to the window "Preparing your
disk and choosing software", I press F1 help key on the option "Hard
disk/Filesystem setup:", and the third paragraph states:

"The 'Customize partitions & filesystems' option allows to create or
change partitions and filesystems. Any existing partitions and data
can be optionally preserved, if an unused partition with sufficient
space is available for installation"

This is the cause I suppose that **may** exist a procedure to keep
aditional filesystems untouched when reinstalling.

Any idea?

Many thanks and greetings from Spain.
--
Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
alberto__@__unilogic.es

Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:30:08AM -0700):
| On 10 mar, 18:15, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
| > Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:45:37AM -0800):
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > | Jean-Pierre,
| > |
| > | Thank you for your answer.
| > |
| > | Is it **really** impossible to reinstall filsystem root only?. When
| > | installing OSR6, there is an advice stating that you can preserve
| > | filesystem's layout in some point afterward. This is the option I
| > | can't find.
| >
| > I cannnot remember seeing that advice. �Can you be more precise in
| > quoting it?
| >
| > --
| > JP
|
| Hi Jean-Pierre,
|
| My apologies for the long delay to answer. Very busy these weeks...
|
| When the installation procedure arrives to the window "Preparing your
| disk and choosing software", I press F1 help key on the option "Hard
| disk/Filesystem setup:", and the third paragraph states:
|
| "The 'Customize partitions & filesystems' option allows to create or
| change partitions and filesystems. Any existing partitions and data
| can be optionally preserved, if an unused partition with sufficient
| space is available for installation"
|
| This is the cause I suppose that **may** exist a procedure to keep
| aditional filesystems untouched when reinstalling.
|
| Any idea?
|
| Many thanks and greetings from Spain.
| --
| Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
| alberto__@__unilogic.es

I don't remember that, but I  assume you are correct.
But anyhow, I still cannot tell you how to actually accomplish that.

JP
0
jpr5879 (1159)

URL?

--
Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
alberto__@__unilogic.es
> Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800):
> | Hi all,
> |
> | Let's assume the next situation:
> |
> | SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u,
> | u2, u3, ... filesystems on it.
> |
> | Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it.
> |
> | Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem
> | leaving untouched the other filesystems?
> |
> | This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been
> | able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0

If you had a backup prior to the corruption, you should just be able to
restore from it.  However, re-creating root is non-trivial as SCO has
made this difficult to prevent cloning of systems, which would violate
your license.

What follows is my experience with UnixWare 7.1.4 but the general
concept *may* work on OpenServer 6.  I've only installed OpenServer once
but the process seemed simliar enough to UnixWare that this might work
on OpenServer too.

My setup:  a PC with two hard drives and a tape drive.

* boot drive: 40 GB UnixWare 7.1.4 OS
	/, swap, /home, /usr/local, /opt ...
	all important data lives on this drive
* data drive: 160 GB
	backups are written here
	miscellaneous work area

Each night I run a full cpio(1) backup of each filesystem on the boot
drive onto the data drive.  An entire full backup takes about 5 minutes
so I don't bother with partials.  Once/wk the backup files are written
to a tape.  If the boot drive fails, I can restore quickly from backups
on the data drive.  If both drives fail, I restore from tape.

My boot disk was making a clunking noise so I ordered a new drive and
created an Emergency recovery tape in single user mode.  I physically
replaced the boot drive with a similar sized drive (both old and new
were 40 GB).  Unfortunately the drives were just different enough and
the Emergency recovery tape complained the new drive was *smaller* than
the old one, so the tape was useless and a waste of the two hours to
create it.

I found SCO TA# 111843 [1] and followed "OPTION 3: USING THE BOOT MEDIA
WITH A BLANK INSTALLATION" to set up the new disk, partitioning,
slicing, and formatting empty filesystems.  Once you have a clean disk
you can boot from the install media again, switch to VT0 (ctrl-alt-esc),
mount the boot and data drives and restore filesystems from the backups.
  You also have to chroot into '/' (the new root that you are restoring)
and write the boot code to the disk via:

NOTE: OpenServer commands might be different!
mount the new '/' at /mnt; mount /stand at /mnt/stand
# chroot /mnt /bin/sh
# /usr/sbin/disksetup -B -b /etc/boot /dev/rdsk/c0b0t0d0s0
# exit
# cd /
# sync; sync; sync
# sh_umount /mnt/stand
# sh_umount /mnt
CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot

This worked well and I only had a few minor issues (/tmp and /var/tmp
were missing, a few others...) but these were discussed in SCO TA#
125718 [2].  I was able to rebuild by boot drive in about three hours,
which I thought was pretty good considering this was my first attempt.

Obviously, you should always have known good backups before attempting
anything like this.  Also, I restored the entire boot drive, not just
root (/) but maybe this gives you some ideas to try.

Hope this helps.
scot

[1] http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=111843
[2] http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=125718
0
sco-lists (30)
4/30/2010 7:48:18 AM
On 30 abr, 09:48, Scot Jenkins <sco-li...@thinkunix.net> wrote:
> [...]
> mount the new '/' at /mnt; mount /stand at /mnt/stand
> # chroot /mnt /bin/sh
> # /usr/sbin/disksetup -B -b /etc/boot /dev/rdsk/c0b0t0d0s0
> # exit
> # cd /
> # sync; sync; sync
> # sh_umount /mnt/stand
> # sh_umount /mnt
> CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot
>
> This worked well and I only had a few minor issues (/tmp and /var/tmp
> were missing, a few others...) but these were discussed in SCO TA#
> 125718 [2]. =A0I was able to rebuild by boot drive in about three hours,
> which I thought was pretty good considering this was my first attempt.
>
> Obviously, you should always have known good backups before attempting
> anything like this. =A0Also, I restored the entire boot drive, not just
> root (/) but maybe this gives you some ideas to try.

Hi Scot,

Many thanks for your answer.

This may work, but I have not tested it yet. Anyway, I'm talking about
systems with only one hard disk with separated filesystems for OS (/)
and data (/u).

Having a disk for OS and other(s) disk(s) for data, there are not
problems. I unplug the data disk(s) and install OSR6 from scratch.
Then I add additional disk(s) with the data untouched.

I was looking for a much simpler solution.

Anybody at SCO can help?

Best regards.
--
Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez
alberto__@__unilogic.es

SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6
The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6. How do I know? I donno, but it feels and seems so. I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6. The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen: 255191 files were encountered 167 files were excluded 9 files were not checked because the hard disk file had been modified by a program since it was backed up 2 files were not checked for various reasons 28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.) 226143 files verified successfully Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min. To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file: [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE real 0m58.59s user 0m1.72s sys 0m10.96s And to see how many directories had to be read: [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l 23745 Bob -- Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus. Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS). On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote: > The speed of the SCO ...

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

Printing issues with SCO UNIX v6.0.0 vs v5.0.7 and prior
>I have a custom database application, written in CADOL, that previously worked FLAWLESSLY on versions of SCO, prior to v6.0.0 . It doesn't matter if I print directly to the HW port or via the spooler, the job either never finishes or doesn't print at all. Jobs via the spooler, are actually worse than direct to port. I have included the ENV variables we use and also more info below. The ENV variables that are set up in the > .profile. > > DEV1=/usr/propac/printfile; export DEV1 > DEV2=/dev/tty1a; export DEV2 > PRINTER1=C0L0hplaser; export PRINTER1 > PRINTER2=C0L0STD1096; export PRINTER2 > hplaser=SPOOL; export hplaser > STD1096=022; export STD1096 > STD1096_I=0002000; export STD1096_I > STD1096_O=; export STD1096_O > STD1096_C=004075; export STD1096_C > STD1096_L=; export STD1096_L > > These above statements set up 2 printers in our application. The > first is a networked Laser printer and the 2nd is a serial printer > hooked up to port tty1a, running 9600 baud with xon/xoff protocol. > In the application(character based), the user selects printer #1 or > #2 and off to the printer the job goes. Also, the hplaser printer is > defined and configured in the spooler using the scoadmin printers >...

(= 0/0 0/0)
Hi, shouldn't > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL or > (= 0/0 0/0) => T instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different from 1/0, which is the non-existent number n such that 1 x n = 0. The actual result of that expression depends of what you think 0/0 is. I personally feel that 0/0 is any number n such that 0 x n = 0, that is all numbers. hal9@cyberspace.org (Hal Niner) writes: > Hi, > > shouldn't > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL > > or > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => T > > instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different fro...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

Openserver 6.0.0... stty min 0 not acting the same as prior Openserver releases?
Hi there, We receive continuous data from an external device through serial ports. Periodically we flush the port's buffer to get fresh data. As well, with other devices we capture the data using cat with the min set to 0 so we don't hang. On our prior systems 5.0.7, 5.0.6, 5.0.5 we'd set the serial port's min to 0 and then cat the port out to /dev/null to dump any buffered data and then set the min back to 1. stty min 0 < /dev/ttya01 cat /dev/ttya01 >/dev/null stty min 1 < /dev/ttya01 Using 6.0.0 min 0 isn't releasing the cat command as it did in prior Openserver releases, causing my programs to hang. My old server (running SCO 5.0.6) port settings AFTER setting min 0 speed 9600 baud; ispeed 9600 baud; ospeed 9600 baud; line = 0(tty); intr = DEL; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^@; eol = ^@; swtch = <undef>; susp = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; -parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -ortsfl -ctsflow -rtsflow -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -iuclc -ixon -ixany -ixoff -isig -icanon min = 0 time = 0 -xcase -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -iexten -tostop -xclude -opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -isscancode -autoe -ed_emacs -ed_vi -ed_history My new server (running SCO 6.0.0) port settings AFTER setting min 0 speed 9600 baud; min = 0; time = 0; intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u; eof = <undef>; eol = <undef>; eol2...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

Questions after successful SCO 6.0.0 install
I have several questions on a new install of SCO 6.0.0. I have not done these or it have been several years I have not done them. 1) How do I change keyboard / mouse from PS/2 to USB version? 2) How to add second "physical" hard drive that is already partitioned but has not "slice" / file systems? History of this server in question: This is a new IBM x3400 Quad-core system. Due to software firmware "conflicting" setting recommendations, disabling the ASF on built-in BroadComm network adapter (SCO 5.0.7 install before upgrade to 6.0.0,) the motherboard controller BCM shutdown the board. After 4 replacements, under warranty, was told to not to touch ASF settings (ok, will use 6.0.0) and found out today BCM reset method. System is work correctly however will not complete the install if using USB keyboard / mouse and USB floppy drive for additional HBA install. Used PS/2 keybaord to complete the install and once IBM field service reps fixed USB issues, switched to USB keyboard / mouse. Now the console is displaying "Integral console keyboard not found" warning. Since this will go to a client's site, I would like to remove this message. On 15 Apr, 16:46, smlunatick <yves...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have several questions on a new install of SCO 6.0.0. I have not > done these or it have been several years I have not done them. > > 1) How do I change keyboard / mouse from PS/2 to USB version? To change the mou...

IP 0.0.0.0/0
Hi Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Thanks in advance! The Dude In article <Jp6Hg.458762$IK3.24918@pd7tw1no>, The Dude <The Dude@thedu.de> wrote: >Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Urrr -- 0.0.0.0/0 is the *entire* IPv4 address range, and 0.0.0.0/32 is just the single IPv4 address 0.0.0.0. For any given network, the lowest address in the network is reserved. Historically, the lowest address was one of the two allowed choices for the broadcast address; later, the broadcast a...

SCO OpenServer RL5.0.0 License Expiration dilemma
I am attempting a rebuild a system after a restoration failure. I have installed the operation system but am unable to reset the License value under SCOAdmin License Manager to "Yes" from "Expired". I followed the procedures for resetting the CMOS date as indicated in TA#104759 from the SCO kb, but to no avail. The software registered correctly. I am able to boot successfully to single-user mode. I am not able to perform any actions on the filesystem. SWversion: SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 Pentium 133 EISA platform If anyone has suggestions, I am listening. Thank you, in advance. Rich Richard Vohs typed (on Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 03:12:22PM -0700): | I am attempting a rebuild a system after a restoration failure. I have | installed the operation system but am unable to reset the License value | under SCOAdmin License Manager to "Yes" from "Expired". I followed the | procedures for resetting the CMOS date as indicated in TA#104759 from the | SCO kb, but to no avail. The software registered correctly. | | I am able to boot successfully to single-user mode. I am not able to | perform any actions on the filesystem. | | SWversion: SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 | Pentium 133 | EISA platform | | If anyone has suggestions, I am listening. Thank you, in advance. | So what does 'date' report? -- JP ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <== "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jpr@jpr.com> wrote in messag...

Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6?
I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? I'm lost. Thanks! jf jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: > I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data > off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and > ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I > have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). > > When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K > > Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or > can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? > > I'm lost. > > Thanks! > > jf Does the antique drive have *ANY* networking on its OS? Can you transfer the data over the network, via rcp or tar over an rlogin or somehting? On Fri, Feb 29, 2008, jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: >I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data >off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and >ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I >...

Got Subversion 1.4.6 working on SCO Openserver 5.0.6, woo-hoo!
So it's working. I'd like to get it into one of the repositories, such as http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/index.html or into what's left of Skunkware. Does anyone have working tools for building VOL packagas? Or can I send my notes along to one of you repository managers to compile and provide the package? ...

IBM X3400 sco openserver 6.0
Hi everyone. I've a big problem with the server in object. I'm trying to install sco openserver 6.0 in this machine but i failed. I have an usb floppy diskette, and i have the btld that i take in the serverraid support cd. But the sco doesn't see the floppy and during the installation there is a message "incorrect disk partitioning information has been detected on hard disk:0" Thx ALL On 23 Jan, 21:28, catello.demart...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi everyone. I've a big problem with the server in object. > I'm trying to install sco openserver 6.0 in this machine but i > failed. > I have an usb floppy diskette, and i have the btld that i take in the > serverraid support cd. But the sco doesn't see the floppy and during > the installation there is a message "incorrect disk partitioning > information has been detected on hard disk:0" > > Thx ALL As per the installation notes for this machine in the SCO CHWP at: http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_model_cert_page?f_model_id=98788&f_release_id=601&f_vendor_search_corp_id= you need to attach the USB floppy device to machine before booting the system. John On 24 Gen, 12:05, jbol...@sco.com wrote: > On 23 Jan, 21:28, catello.demart...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Hi everyone. I've a big problem with the server in object. > > I'm trying to install sco openserver 6.0 in this machine but i > > failed. > > I have an usb floppy dis...

FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6
I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish this is much appreciated. Regards, David On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. > >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. &g...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

0.0**0 = ?
I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors (different vendors do different things, unhappily). Thanks, Joost Joost VandeVondele wrote: > I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as > per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors > (different vendors do different things, unhappily). > > Thanks, > > Joost Surely, 0.0**0.0 is mathematically undefined? Therefore, I wouldn't expect the standard to make any pronouncement about the ...

OpenServer 6.0.0
SCO has now opened a Web page regarding OpenServer 6.0.0: http://www.thescogroup.com/products/openserver6 -- JP ...

SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0
Hello, I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) Where can we Find one ? Regards, Ely Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote: > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) > Where can we Find one ? See: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.sco.misc/msg/9bad2852a40218aa >Bela< This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box without any BTLDs. This really helps as I can take a single laptop around with me now. Only one draw back is that it only works in single CPU mode, installing SMP causes VMWare to crash but I'm sure that will be fixed in the final build. Regards, Rob. Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) > Where can we Find one ? > > Regards, > Ely > <rob@vetsystems.com> wrote: > This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have > installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with > VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box > without any BTLDs. This is because VMware...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio on SCO 5.0.6
Will this run on this version of SCO? Where can I find documentation to install it? Brent Bolin wrote: > Will this run on this version of SCO? I guess you mean the one at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a with gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > Where can I find documentation to install it? What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? I'd extract the VOL files from cpio archive and use custom to install them. (actually I prefer to use `scoadmin software` but YMMV). man cpio man custom Then I'd read whatever man pages are in the VOLs and/or the samba 3.0 web-site docs. Presumably all the above is known to you and I have missed your real question. If so, sorry. -- RGB On Dec 9, 9:19=A0am, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBr...@spamweary.invalid> wrote: > Brent Bolin wrote: > > Will this run on this version of SCO? > > I guess you mean the one atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/sam= ba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio > > On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a wi= th > =A0 =A0 =A0gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > > > Where can I find documentation to install it? > > What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? >...

"some\0\0\0\0\0\0"
can i use such form of adding zeros to the strings/literals to 'pad' them with zeros ? or this is not guwranteed to work? need that for assuring that strings for example arepadded to some amount of bytes thus using fast compare which only checks some amount of data and do not bother for checking ends, etc 9you know what i mean) On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:30:19 -0700, fir saw fit to publish the following: > can i use such form of adding zeros to the strings/literals to 'pad' > them with zeros ? Yes you can. (I feel SOOO presidential right now) > or this is n...

Web resources about - Reinstalling root filesystem only in SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 - comp.unix.sco.misc

Reinstalling Masstransiscope - YouTube
The art installation Masstransiscope by Bill Brand has delighted Brooklyn subway passengers since 1980. Go behind the scenes to see how it was ...

Reinstalling Windows Open Thread
Yes, new computer, 3d time since I got it a month ago, reinstalling Windows and everything else on the 'puter. I WILL bitch slap the first person ...

Apple Says No More To Reinstalling And Updating Refunded App Store Apps
Neither reinstalling nor updating refunded apps from the App Store is now allowed by Apple, as reported by MacRumors . Previously, if you purchased ...

Flushing the crapware: A guide to reinstalling Windows 8 on a new PC
Installing a clean copy of Windows 8 on a new, crapware-infested PC is even easier than it was in Windows 7. Andrew Cunningham We may have ...

iOS 9 makes space for updates by deleting apps... and then reinstalling them
... new way to handle devices that are low on space. iOS 9 is now able to temporarily delete apps to free up the necessary megabytes, before reinstalling ...

Stuck with iOS 8.0.1? Here’s how to fix it by reinstalling iOS 8
Yesterday, proving it is far from infallible when it comes to both hardware design and software development, Apple released a faulty version ...

Windows 10 Updating, Reinstalling And Activation Guide: Essential Advice To Avoid Problems
Yesterday saw the release of Microsoft's highly anticipated Windows 10 operating system. For the most part things went fairly smoothly as it ...

Reinstalling mobile apps often fixes glitches
Since all of your Gmail messages are stored on the Gmail servers, there is no danger of losing any data when you do this. If you don't have your ...

Deleting and reinstalling an iOS app - iLounge Article
Q: I want to delete an app and download a fresh copy to my device. However, when I go to the App Store and locate the app, it has the iCloud ...

How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows
... to a small drive can be tricky, because your data won't necessarily all fit on the drive. Here's how to install an SSD without reinstalling ...