SATA on 5.0.6 or 5.0.7?

Anyone running SCO 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 on servers with
SATA drives?

I'd like to hear from anyone with SATA based servers and if
they met their exceptions for performance and reliability.

In the past, I have always used SCSI drives for the performance
and customary 5 year warrantee.  Now SATA drives are available with
5 year warrantee and manufactures claim the drives are equivalent
to SCSI performance at 40% less cost.

I have checked my distributors and all the SATA drives I can find
are 7200 RPM with the exception of the 36G WD360GD 10k RPM SATA
drive.

I have a request from a client running SCO 3.2v4.2 on 66 MHz 486
with 4G disk to upgrade to current hardware and OS.

SCSI is overkill for this client and the 36G WD looks like a
good choice. I'll eliminate all SCSI by using Backup Edge
writing to a ATAPI DVD-RAM and upgrade the client to
5.0.6 or 5.0.7 (SCO's web site suggests it has upgrades to
Enterprise 6.0 from Xenix/UNIX but there is no part number
listed and inquiries come up: Not Available).

--

                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates

I have switched over most of my small server installs over to SATA raid
using the intel SRCS16 raid controller and the 10K 36 gig raptor drives.  So
far other then one of the cables breaking off the connector during shipping,
I have not had any probelms.  On the smaller system running around 25 users,
I can not say that I can notice any speed differences between SCSI and SATA.
I am sure on the bigger customers there would be a difference, but for the
price difference SATA works extremely well for us.  This is on 5.06 and
5.07, I have not tried it out on 6.0 yet.

"Steve M. Fabac, Jr." <smfabac@att.net> wrote in message
> Anyone running SCO 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 on servers with
> SATA drives?
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone with SATA based servers and if
> they met their exceptions for performance and reliability.
>
> In the past, I have always used SCSI drives for the performance
> and customary 5 year warrantee.  Now SATA drives are available with
> 5 year warrantee and manufactures claim the drives are equivalent
> to SCSI performance at 40% less cost.
>
> I have checked my distributors and all the SATA drives I can find
> are 7200 RPM with the exception of the 36G WD360GD 10k RPM SATA
> drive.
>
> I have a request from a client running SCO 3.2v4.2 on 66 MHz 486
> with 4G disk to upgrade to current hardware and OS.
>
> SCSI is overkill for this client and the 36G WD looks like a
> good choice. I'll eliminate all SCSI by using Backup Edge
> writing to a ATAPI DVD-RAM and upgrade the client to
> 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 (SCO's web site suggests it has upgrades to
> Enterprise 6.0 from Xenix/UNIX but there is no part number
> listed and inquiries come up: Not Available).
>

> --
>
>                                      Steve Fabac
>                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
>                                        816/765-1670

"Steve M. Fabac, Jr." <smfabac@att.net> wrote in message
> Anyone running SCO 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 on servers with
> SATA drives?
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone with SATA based servers and if
> they met their exceptions for performance and reliability.
>
> In the past, I have always used SCSI drives for the performance
> and customary 5 year warrantee.  Now SATA drives are available with
> 5 year warrantee and manufactures claim the drives are equivalent
> to SCSI performance at 40% less cost.
>
> I have checked my distributors and all the SATA drives I can find
> are 7200 RPM with the exception of the 36G WD360GD 10k RPM SATA
> drive.
>
> I have a request from a client running SCO 3.2v4.2 on 66 MHz 486
> with 4G disk to upgrade to current hardware and OS.
>
> SCSI is overkill for this client and the 36G WD looks like a
> good choice. I'll eliminate all SCSI by using Backup Edge
> writing to a ATAPI DVD-RAM and upgrade the client to
> 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 (SCO's web site suggests it has upgrades to
> Enterprise 6.0 from Xenix/UNIX but there is no part number
> listed and inquiries come up: Not Available).

Have you considered the possibility that the WD Raptor 36GB drive
that you're considering may be overkill for a client migrating from
a 486/66, 4GB system? Plus, these older 36GB drives are much
noisier and run hotter than the more current 7200 RPM drives.

A WD 7200 RPM SATA or PATA drive, 80GB (8MB cache) would
be more than adequate for any application solution they must
now be using, at 1/3 the cost of the 10K RPM drive. (Unless
they're jumping from 5 users to 50.) The 7200 drives only have
a 3-yr warranty, but it appears your client already treats his
13+ yr old system very well.

Bob

0
72027.3605 (442)

Upgrading 5.0.5 to 5.0.6/5.0.7
Hi, I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some questions: 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? 2. How easy is the upgrade? 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Thanks, Jon Jon Wynacht typed (on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:17AM -0700): | Hi, | | I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from | 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some | questions: | | 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? ...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enl...

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Re: SATA on 5.0.6 or 5.0.7?
: "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." <smfabac@att.net> wrote in message : news:4325B488.908204F5@att.net... : > Anyone running SCO 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 on servers with : > SATA drives? : > : > I'd like to hear from anyone with SATA based servers and if : > they met their exceptions for performance and reliability. : > : > In the past, I have always used SCSI drives for the performance : > and customary 5 year warrantee. Now SATA drives are available with : > 5 year warrantee and manufactures claim the drives are equivalent : > to SCSI performance at 40% less co...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answe...

Totaly new iOS 7.0.5/ 7.0.4/7.0.6 Jailbreak For iPhone 5s,5c,5,4s Just Released
The Most wanted Popular jailbreak iPhone 5 iOS 7 tool from http://iphonejailbreak-unlock.com – compiled by the iPhone Team – has just been released and updated with full and easy support for Unlock/Jailbreak iPhone 5/4S/4/3GS iOS 7/6.1.4/6.1.4 And 7.0.5/7 Untethered. You may have caught our tutorial, which detailed how one could jailbreak their device tethered using Redsn0w, although since it was a pre-iOS 7 and 7.0.5/7 release, users needed to "point" the tool to the older firmware. Team Unlock-Jailbreak was created few years ago, combines some of the jailbreak and unlock communi...

\\BI 7.0\\ SAP 4.7\\ ECC 5.0\\ ECC 6.0\\CRM \\ BW 3.5\\
Check your requirement from the following list of Software SAP IDES for Your Personal Practice at Home. I. SAP ECC 6.0 SR2 12DVDs + Screen shot Installation Guide II. SAP ECC 5.0 IDES 7 DVDs + Screen shot Installation Guide III. SAP 4.7IDES 3 DVDs + Screen shot Installation Guide IV. . SAP SRM 5.0 and CRM 5.0 IDES CRM 4.0IDES V. SAP bi 7.0 (IDES) VI. SAP BW 3.5 VII. SAP CRM 5.0 VIII. SAP CRM 4.0 If you interested Please Send Your Mail at: balakumar14@gmail.com with Your Location and Contact Number. ...

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching
Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives the wrong time. E...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P...

moving printers from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I have a whole lot of printers attached to ttys(specialix multi serial ports) on SCO 5.0.6, I am setting up a new server with 5.0.7 is there an easy way to move the printers configurations from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7 e,g Can I just copy /usr/spool/lp/*/lp from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7, would that make all my printers appear in 5.0.7 Many thanks denn.el@gmail.com typed (on Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:39:27AM -0700): | I have a whole lot of printers attached to ttys(specialix multi serial | ports) on SCO 5.0.6, I am setting up a new server with 5.0.7 is there | an easy way to move the printers configurations fro...

Upgrading SCO Openserver 5.0.4 to 5.0.7
Hello, i am interested in the steps needed to upgrade 5.0.4 to 5.0.7 and the amount of time needed to successfully complete. Also any gotchas i could look out for would be great to know. On 2/8/2011 8:49 AM, drew wrote: > Hello, i am interested in the steps needed to upgrade 5.0.4 to 5.0.7 > and the amount of time needed to successfully complete. Also any > gotchas i could look out for would be great to know. Hi, Drew. Start with a clean install of 5.0.7 - don't try the upgrade option during the IPL. Upgrades didn't work very well until 5.0.5 came out. Obv...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, bu...

[ANN] Rails 0.7.0, Action Pack 0.8.5, Active Record 0.9.5
I gather that most people are now familar with the RoR suite, so I'm skipping the formal introductions and will just bring you the meat. Get it all from http://www.rubyonrails.org, talk it up on #rubyonrails (FreeNet). Or even easier, just do "gem install rails" (or "gem update" if you're already running on Gem Rails) -- you'll automatically install all the newest versions of the required dependencies. Rails 0.7.0: Fixed WEBrick, new_model generator, easier fixtures ================================================================ The WEBrick dispatch has...

Time for a new Cartoon character sock - no? On 8/16/11 1:16 PM, Redjak wrote: > Time for a new cartoon character sock, no? Any suggestions Olive Oyl? "Chance Furlong" wrote in message news:a9idnQpR6J6abtfTnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@giganews.com... On 8/16/11 1:16 PM, Redjak wrote: > Time for a new cartoon character sock, no? >Any suggestions Olive Oyl? Yeah - something stupid, as usual. ...

SCSI tape not working after upgrade 5.0.5 -> 5.0.7
Good day, After an upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 running on Dell PowerEdge 2400 to 5.0.7 we found the tape drive does not work. In "mkdev tape", when you go view the installed tape drives it lists none. But if you try to create a new one, it can't: ---snip--- You are about to add the following SCSI device: Host Adapter Type Adapter Device Number ID LUN Bus ------------------------------------------------------- SCSI alad tape 0 6 0 0 Update SCSI configuration? (y/n) y Cannot add this tape. Another tape is already...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

[ace-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO
Hi all, We are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO beta. This beta has been tagged ACE+TAO+CIAO-5_5_6. The main difference between this release and x.5.5 is that the ACE exception macros (except for ACE_THROW_RETURN and ACE_THROW_SPEC) have been removed from all TAO and CIAO code. It is available from the same download location as per the previous release. http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ The doxygen documentation for the beta is also available. Included with this beta, besides the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, we also provide source only packages for the group of users which use MPC to generate their own makefiles. We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the: $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at: $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU, UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward. Overviews of our recent progress and upcoming plans are available at: $ACE_ROOT/NEWS $TAO_ROOT/NEWS $CIAO_ROOT/NEWS The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily builds is 96% for the ACE tests and 92% for the TAO tests. Please see: http://ww...

Differences between 5.0.0 and 5.0.1?
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between 5.0 and its point release? I bought 5.0 (student) last fall, and Wolfram wants $100 maintenance fee to get the minor point release upgrade. ...

Upgrade from 5.0.7 to 6.0
I need to upgrade a system from Open Server 5.0.7 to 6.0. All of the customer's data is in /u which currently is not a separately mounted file system. Will the upgrade to 6.0 delete or otherwise adversely affect the data in the /u directory? If the upgrade will affect the data in /u, will making /u a separately mounted file system protect the data? Thanks for your assistance, Rodgers Hemer 206.523.2329 r.hemer@w-link.net Rodgers Hemer typed (on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:09:39PM -0700): > I need to upgrade a system from Open Server 5.0.7 to 6.0. All of the > customer&...

SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5 New Daylight Savings dates
Has anyone yet come up with a solution on changing older SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 / 5.0.5 / 5.0.6 systems to accommodate the new daylight savings dates starting this year?? I have looked around at SCO's site and they have an update to install on 5.0.7 systems that also indicate you should install new libc, etc Anyone know how to fix this on older SCO OpenServer releases?? Thanks for any help Scott Ullmann Telespectrum sullmann@telespectrum.com scooter typed (on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:37:58PM -0800): | Has anyone yet come up with a solution on changing older SCO OpenServer | 5.0.4 / 5.0....

AIX 5.1 / VAC 6.0 vs AIX 5.2 / patched VAC 6.0
Hi everybody, I am trying to build some C++ application on the following environment: AIX 5.2 / patched Visual Age C++ 6.0. This application is based on libraries built for the AIX 5.1 / Visual Age C++ 6.0 (base, ie no patch) platform. Compilation works fine. However link results in unresolved symbols (defined in the above libraries). According to IBM support: - AIX 5.1 / Visual Age C++ 6.0 is a supported platform - AIX 5.2 / Visual Age C++ 6.0 with lattest patch is a supported platform - AIX 5.2 / Visual Age C++ 6.00 base version (ie without any patch) isn't a supported platform (!...

[ace-users] Re: How can I use ACE(Latest Beta Kit) for AIX version 5.3/5.2 and VisualAge C++ 7.0/6.0 for AIX on machine IBM P690? \
Hi Oliana, Thanks very much for your email. Please make sure to send all questions related to TAO or ACE to the ACE mailing list or ACE+TAO newsgroup, rather than to me directly since I travel frequently and often don't have ready access to email. See http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html for more info on how to access these resources. > I want to use ACE.tar.bz2(Latest Beta Kit) on AIX version 5.3,Now > I'm writing application program base on ACE.tar.bz2 (Latest Beta > Kit) and testing ACE.tar.bz2(Latest Beta Kit) on AIX version 5.2 for > IBM P690 and using VisualAge C++ 6.0 and VisualAge C++ 7.0,It?s very > strange ,the ACE.tar.bz2 was compiled successful,But the application > program can?t be compiled success,There are a lot of problems.It has > reported a lot of mistakes of STL head file in VisualAge ,and then > It told me there are something wrong in VisualAge C++ 6.0/7.0's head > file.I don't know why,Then ,I written testing code ,only have tested > VisualAge C++ 6.0 and VisualAge C++ 7.0 for AIX version 5.2's head > file already,the compiler was compiling and running up to snuff,no > mistake in head file.And you know ,When I put the same application > program and ACE.tar.bz2(Latest Beta Kit) in Redhatlinux for PC and > Turbo linux for IBM eServe BladeCenter, there are no mistakes,and > It?s normally compiling and running so fast.So,I don?t know why,what > happ...

Re: System Improvement Ballot enhancements for FTP 6.5/7.0/7.5
Hey, I gotta new (old) one! I mean, I wondered about this when I first learned MPE IV in 1984! So, everyone who has a console has seen the message that says HH:MM/#Snnnn/pin/LOGOFF ON LDEV xx ? Now, how many times has someone come up to you and asked when did so and so log off the system? Huh! If one REALLY wanted to know WHEN WHO logged off, one has to go the log files to learn who session number #Snnnn was at log on time. (Unless the party who logged-off had just logged-on a minues earlier and it was still visible.) How much TROUBLE would it be, to change the Console LOG...

Web resources about - SATA on 5.0.6 or 5.0.7? - comp.unix.sco.misc

Saeta (flamenco) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the older tradition, solemn drums and horns might accompany the singer, or the saetero sang alone. Since the nineteenth century, however, ...

Sumvision 2.5" SATA to USB2 Enclosure (2) - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Got this for when I swap over my MacBook HDD (planning to upgrade from 250GB to 500GB), which I will do, eventually. LED on the left, USB port ...

HighPoint shows its ready for Thunderbolt with shiny new Dual SATA 6G Dock
http://www.tweaktown.com Computex 2012 - Today was our last day on the Computex 2012 show floor as tomorrow is public day and it just gets way ...

Pollie Frank Bwalya charged for 'potato president' line against Michael Sata
ZAMBIAN police have arrested and charged an opposition leader with defamation, after he compared the president to a potato, a party ally said. ...

企业低功耗首选 东芝Harrier硬盘上市_东芝 Harrier SATA(MG03ACA400)_内存硬盘行情-中关村在线
随着互联网的飞速发展,数据类型不知不觉发生了转变。对于客户而言,细分数据存储类型无疑可以解决应用、成本等多方面的困扰,其中最大一部分数据就是近线存储数据、云端存储数据和企业级多阶层式存储数据。简单来讲。

Crucial SATA 3 SSDs 256GB:$165 512GB:$350. USB 3.0 Lexar Flash 32GB: $18 64GB: $40
Per 9to5Toys.com : Amazon’s got some pretty sick prices today: Related articles Crucial M4 256GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5″ Internal SSD for $165 + pickup ...

Zambia - Sata Sickness Opens Up Can of Worms for Patriotic Front - By Arthur Simuchoba
The health of the 77-year old Zambian President Michael Sata currently ranks among the most sensitive of issues in the country and has come to ...

AnandTech - CES Preview - Micron's RealSSD C300 - The First 6Gbps SATA SSD
I second that, this graph is the most confusing of all and what it represents is not explained at all. I assume it refers to the fact that SSD ...

Apple releases firmware fix for MacBook Pros with “slow” SATA
Remember the bad news about the MacBook Pro and its 1.5Gbps SATA limit? Looks …

Toshiba Q300 480GB SATA SSD
... I have been using is 480GB. Keep in mind, capacity can impact performance, so your mileage may vary based on the size you pick. This is a SATA ...